Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Why do mutants get discriminated?

• 97 results
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By John Valentine
    @HolySerpent said:

" @John Valentine said:

" @HolySerpent said:
    "

this is the reason why i always supported magneto rather then the xmen

"
    What is? "
    the fact that x men want to protect people who hate, fear and constantly trying to commit genocide on the whole mutant race. while magneto who has seen first hand experience what the human are capable of has try to defend the mutant race. he may go to the extreme but he usually have a good reason to. "
    He's not "the freakin' Magneto", he's a perceived bigot, mutant supremacist and anti-human terrorist in the eyes of many; he's not an innocent silver-haired old man with clean hands who's trying to better his race's existence, he's a mass murderer, a fallen monarch, a failure of a father, a man who's had ultimate power and lost it, a victim of humanity's fear and hostility on many occasions etc.  He's committed monstrous acts, but he sees them as justifiable to his hate-filled agenda which. I believe he's driven by both a desire to save his race, but also pure hatred. If you were to support Magneto's actions, well his bad ones specifically, you'd be no better than the humans who would hate you. 
    Avatar image for brwnsdanewblak671
    brwnsdanewblak671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Modern human society is about the illusion of an environment that exhibits control. Mutants are an example of people with abilities that potentially threaten that control. They are societies X-factor (pun sort of intended). Because they can tip the see-saw of good vs evil in either direction, and that much unpredictability overtime, is why no one ends up trusting mutants and the only alternative. Genocide. Not that I agree with it but society is too predictable to be accepting of people with powers. Which is disappointing since if the X-men landed in Central Park wearing Capes and underwear they would get a heroes praise. Because the world at large could identify with the flawless Superman. A boyscout. Then deal with what is in their eyes my angry neighbor can blow my head off with Fireballs from his Arse. (Big comic fan by the way. Just being literal with how the mass's would react in the case of the topic.) 

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#53  Edited By Timandm
    @IrishX said:

I always felt the reason Mutants were discriminated against was because humans considered them something like a disease that would spread and basically end humanity.

That's basically it,  or at least how it's explained... But the argument makes NO SENSE whatsoever...

A mutant being born does NOT kill off a non-mutant...  It just means that a human with a mutation is BORN... The humans that are alive will REMAIN alive barring any unforeseen circumstances or naturally occurring death. 

Then, as these baby humans with mutations grow up, they procreate either with other humans with mutations or with humans that do not have a mutation... MAYBE their children will have mutations... That STILL does not kill off any non-mutant human....  It merely increases the proportion of humans with mutations...  And maybe a hundred generations down the road all humans are born with mutations.. SO WHAT?!?!?!  How could that be a bad thing?  I so don't get it.... I'd be happy to know that my great-grand children or great-great-great-great-great-grandchildren were incredibly powerful beings... I have NO problem with that...  Why would anyone?
    cennobite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By cennobite

People fear the unknown the thought for some people that their kids might end up being mutants freaks them out, plus being that mutants are the next stage in evolution scares a lot of humanity because they don't want to become extinct and end up being replaced by mutants. Then you have people like Bolivar Trask and Senator Kelly stirring things up getting people to hate them even more, loads of anti-mutants groups spread their own propaganda and lies to make mutants look bad. Lots of mutants look very different unlike superheroes like most of the fantastic four, iron man and loads of others who look human. Not that all mutants look different but like Nightcralwer and Beast a lot do and people see them as freaks. Lastly mutants like Magneto, Apocalypse and others like them preach their own message of mutants being superior and have on numerous times spread fear around the planet, those incidents didn't help the mutant cause much. 

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By killraven4334

@holyserpent: totally magneto supporter though and through, Cyclops finally getting on board and getting over his squeamishness about killing humans was the best thing to happen to the x-men in recent years, and yes in the MU I support the genocide of homo inferior! just a shame it will never happen, the benefit of being a fan on only non human characters, x-men and thor, I always tell Thor, you serve MIDGARD, not HUMANS, humans are killing midgarde come help the x-men fight the humans!!! but he never listens :(

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Racism and Marvel won't let the universe have peace.

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

in universe its a combination of things.

1. its something people are born with....The fantastic 4, Hulk, Captain America....all of their abilities are from some event that occurred to them or technology. They were people who had something happen to them to cause their abilities. Or in the case of people like Tony Stark or Hawkeye, they are base line humans who have extraordinary talent. Mutants on the other hand are born with these powers. Its not some scientist or soldier who could get powers, its your neighbor or coworker, or their kid. The previously mentioned characters gaining their powers were isolated incidents that can be prevented in the future...but Mutants are constantly being born and there is nothing you can do about it

2. Mutations are often uncontrollable early on...Mutants powers usually manifest around puberty, and when they do it is often uncontrollable, sometimes violently so depending on the power set. Say for example kid-Cyclops wasn't as in-control as he usually is. Any slip up could level a building and kill a lot of people. Combine that with the fact that this is something random people are born with all the time. A mutant could be a completely peaceful individual, but lose control of a destructive power and cause MASSIVE damage, and again its completely random. Some home owner may not hate mutants, but he probably would be a bit less at ease thinking one of his neighbors might just develop powers and blow up the block.

3. perceived as the next step in evolution....don't want this to spawn yet another "are mutants a race/species/sub-species/human" debate, but it is at least perceived (if not fact) in universe that mutants are the next step in humanities evolution. And that scares the hell out of some people. Change is scary. People in parts of the USA right now because of changing demographics. Certain groups of people are becoming a majority, while the previous majority is growing smaller. Difference is in this case the growing group is one with superpowers they cant always control.

4. Hate groups exist and are often a very vocal minority. Lets be honest, the bad news it what gets all the attention. Its true in the real world, its true in comics. The hate groups and the people throwing bricks or shouting slurs are the ones we as readers and the X-men would deal with. The average citizen may be pro-mutant, or not care one way or the other, but they are not going to make the news, they are not going to hold rallies supporting mutants (the rallies that have been popping up in Uncanny are a new trend that's developed in the wake of Scotts "revolution"), and the x-men in general are not going to be interacting with them as much beyond super heroics.

5. Destructive acts by a few mutants seriously hurt the perception of them all. Magneto is a full on mutant supremist. He often claims he is only looking to protect his people, but more often than not his real goal is the subjugation or elimination of humanity to make way for mutants. His vocal actions are often what people will see and identify with who mutants are. They will look at magneto destroying new York and think...."this is what just one of them can do". It wont matter that the X-men stop them, the fear will still exist. Lets use young inner city African americans as an example....not every single one of them is a gang member or drug dealer, in fact many of the are probably not. Most people however would still prefer to completely avoid that area and avoid interacting with ANY of them. The actions of a few very easily color peoples perceptions, and negativity stands out more in peoples minds as mentioned with the hate groups.

6. lack of public support from other groups....lets be honest, the government, SHIELD, the Avengers...they really haven't done mutants any favors. In the avengers case, this is mostly a result of marvel generally keeping the two groups separate. But that still means that in universe they don't interact much and thus there is very little vocal support coming from the "popular" super group. How often have the avengers really dealt with mutant issues? As comic readers we know this is because those issues are saved for the X-men to deal with, but in universe it appears that the Avengers simply don't. The Government in universe honestly doesn't do much of anything, so that's out. And SHIELD is more concerned about nation security threats than threats to an individual populace. Emma said it herself when Tony tried to get the X-men involved in the Civil War....why should the X-men help when SHIELD and the avengers were never there for them. Where were they when millions of mutant men/women/children died in Genosha? The mutants until very recently with the unity squad have honestly been on their own.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Modern human society is about the illusion of an environment that exhibits control. Mutants are an example of people with abilities that potentially threaten that control. They are societies X-factor (pun sort of intended). Because they can tip the see-saw of good vs evil in either direction, and that much unpredictability overtime, is why no one ends up trusting mutants and the only alternative. Genocide. Not that I agree with it but society is too predictable to be accepting of people with powers. Which is disappointing since if the X-men landed in Central Park wearing Capes and underwear they would get a heroes praise. Because the world at large could identify with the flawless Superman. A boyscout. Then deal with what is in their eyes my angry neighbor can blow my head off with Fireballs from his Arse. (Big comic fan by the way. Just being literal with how the mass's would react in the case of the topic.)

This. Though I feel like mutants are bound for distrust regardless if only because of human nature and also people's distrust of human nature. X-Factor #49 pretty much lampshaded this in the conversation between Old Doctor Doom and Old Cyke. Doom claims that between the two of them, they are both hated, but why then is it that Cyclops is more hated than he is? Doom then goes on to answer that it is because the public understands Doom, that they understand what it is to use their own means to get what they want and that selfishness, not altruism, is the default moral stance of humanity.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Tyger

I'll point out though that sometimes, the X-Men are their own worst enemy in this regard. (See first X-Factor team and why they split up and Havok took over.)

Nightcrawler used to use an image inducer. Then it broke. Then people threw.. compliments? They thought he was 'cool'. (An idea that came up in the 'All New' X-Men / Superior Spider-Man crossover, and also in the Uncanny series shortly post AvX.)

Also note that the Avengers have been given flak for bringing 'mutants' onto the team on a couple of occasions, but Cap just stuck it out for a few weeks (comic time, usually about a year real time) and it went away.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By adamTRMM

Because moving forward is risky for business. Because X-fandom developed its own radical persecution complex, and the first writer that tries to move mutant metaphor from "minority metaphor" to something else gets bashed throughout the internet being accused of racism?

But in the end of the day what X-fandom actually wants ARE feuds, bitching (or something to bitch about) and mutants get discriminated no matter what. lol Morrison was full of sh!t, but I totally agreed with his U-men satire.

Shebba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say because people hate and fear what they don't understand and anything that is different.

fridric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By fridric

The problem with that is they share the same universe of the rest of super heroes(avengers, FF) who are not discriminated and certain of them are mutant too!

I think X-Men should be in a separated universe not the classic 616-verse where there are too many inconsistence in their world they share with the other SH.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fridric: they tried.

Heroes Reborn.

It was lousy.

Twinblock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because people are racist.

fridric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyger:

Maybe in a reboot like DC new 52 where the JSA are separated from the JLA universe.

Psy_chrometer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because they are mutants?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

LunarHeretic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The main problem is the fear. Normal humans are afraid of superior mutants and they don't want to change like the cavemans did.

warrior100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By warrior100
    Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a world where some people can develop abilities that could harm you, cheat, or take advantage over others, it's understandable why some people would hate them. It's not good, but the reason is there. Also some of them look really inhuman and that pretty much puts you as an outcast.

MasterOfEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By MasterOfEvil

@adamtrmm: @heatblaze123: @lunarheretic: But what if the Xmen saved the world so publicly that even the government and Avengers actively admit mutants saved the day? Could that cause some change in future writing so they're more accepted?

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterofevil: It will help the image for the X-men and perhaps a lot of mutants that's for sure. However those issues I've listed may still linger among a few.

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Originally they were hated because they were diffrent. It was blatantly stated in the 80's. In recent times they have started to become hated because of what they are capable of.

MasterOfEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By MasterOfEvil

@heatblaze123: And that's totally fine. I'd never say remove the mutant completely cuz that's why x-men are around in the first place. I say let them win their respect/equality and then fight to defend that from those (mutant or human) who would mess with that.

LunarHeretic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterofevil: no. When Onslaught killed Avengers and X men defeated him people started to killed them.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: @heatblaze123: @lunarheretic: But what if the Xmen saved the world so publicly that even the government and Avengers actively admit mutants saved the day? Could that cause some change in future writing so they're more accepted?

@heatblaze123: And that's totally fine. I'd never say remove the mutant completely cuz that's why x-men are around in the first place. I say let them win their respect/equality and then fight to defend that from those (mutant or human) who would mess with that.

This is something i've brought up in a few threads like this.

Mutants are still on page two of the oppression battle (where the vast majority is openly allowed to hate you without consequence) when they need to be on page 3 or 4 (where we the haters are the small (but extremist) minority and progress is being made).

Honestly this isn't just to give some help to the "oppressed minority" concept, but also to give help to the X-Men themselves. Who seem ineffective and hopeless after years of fighting this battle with no progress being allowed to be made, and success being measured by "How close we are to getting back to square one".

Right now the X-Men who leave the team seem more like their tired of losing then anything else, and what the team really needs is a show of progress and success that shows that they are actually effective

MasterOfEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: Exactly! The turning point should have been Second Coming when humans (and robots) nearly destroyed San Francisco and the Xmen fought and died to save everybody. They gave Cyclops a medal of honor, handed to him personally by Captain friggin America! Now that saga (possibly my favorite x-men storyline) means nothing.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterofevil: I'll give you that and raise you that it could've happened after AvX. All of mutant kind has been under seige since the decimation and what was left of them dedicated themselves to survival of their kind and protecting/serving the community. Then AvX comes and now the people all over the world who have been watching the mutant struggle over the past couple of years are finding themselves a member of the community and their struggle.

A public moment where Mutants are at the forefront of the global conversation and the X-Men are the oldest and most tenured and involved people in this conversation could make for a storyline where not only is the team (their actions, message and members) incredibly important to guiding and presenting the mutant race, but also the Marvel U. would have to move on to a newer stance on mutant kind since their is a whole new crop of them sprouting up.

MasterOfEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: It couldn't have happened after AVX cuz of the Phoenix Five and their power trip. Especially Cyclops tearing up half the planet as Dark Phoenix. That set them back a lot.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: It couldn't have happened after AVX cuz of the Phoenix Five and their power trip. Especially Cyclops tearing up half the planet as Dark Phoenix. That set them back a lot.

Lol, it really didnt. No where in any book was there any sign of someone being blamed or hated for actions during AvX other then by Cap and his team. Not saying it wouldn't/shouldn't have but it really didnt have any effect.

That said if it had had an effect, it would've been great to have that be the complex conversation.

The X-Men as the team that has been fighting since the beginning and trying to guide, and improve the image of, new mutants by showing how acceptance and helpfulness can help forward the world.

Versus the legit reasons to be afraid of mutants who can become so powerful that over the weekend 5 of them can lock up and imprison Earths mightiest heroes.

And then add to that that on the ground level there are still mutants that are just trying to live normal lives but are effected by the actions of the big heroes, and humans who hates mutants for even exisiting and will build giant killer robots to stop the little blue skinned kid from going to school with their kids.

It shows that there is a diverse situation filled with wins and loses for the X-Men and mutant kind, instead of this endless fight to get back to where we started at.

MasterOfEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: That actually reminds of one the Post-AVX Uncanny X-men comics. Cyclops pointed out how it's always one step forward and three steps back in mutant/human relations. To paraphrase: "Even when they got wanted, even after we got on an island away from them, they send the (bleep) Avengers to storm the beaches!!!" It's just a constant cycle of crap that they have deal with and there's no end in sight. I cannot stress this enough: THERE WAS NO NEED TO MAKE TERRIGEN POISONOUS TO MUTANTS. Marvel should have never went that route. Which goes back to the mutants biggest issue: The writers.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: That actually reminds of one the Post-AVX Uncanny X-men comics. Cyclops pointed out how it's always one step forward and three steps back in mutant/human relations. To paraphrase: "Even when they got wanted, even after we got on an island away from them, they send the (bleep) Avengers to storm the beaches!!!" It's just a constant cycle of crap that they have deal with and there's no end in sight. I cannot stress this enough: THERE WAS NO NEED TO MAKE TERRIGEN POISONOUS TO MUTANTS. Marvel should have never went that route. Which goes back to the mutants biggest issue: The writers.

Word of truth

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterofevil: My personal belief is that they realized how they dropped the ball with the X-Men plots post AvX (ex- Cyclops is treatedbas a threat despite doing nothing threatening, mutants were near extinct but only one book acknowledged it, the X-Men were splintered but without a reason for the splint).

The only thing is they decided to just double down and redo the story line,(much like they did with the Arkea plot in Woods X-Men) when really what the X-Men relaunch needed was a more infrastructure based approach, using the mythos, popular characters and a overarching direction for all the books, in order to build the X-Men into something that looks like a force to be reckoned with and then building an opponent that is strong enough to challenge them.

Instead they took a Dog that had lost a leg but still managed to look tough...and decided to remove its other leg. Its not even admirable to watch the X-Men struggle anymore... Its exhausting

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: nah i blame magneto for humans hating/fearing mutants, who would then maybe nowadays adult cyclops pushed it over the edge

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: I can't disagree. Magneto is the reason why they should explore the human fear of the Mutant vs Human story.

MasterOfEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: And now they have that rumor about getting rid of mutants entirely. I highly doubt they would do so, but if they did, I'd be done with marvel brand comics. It's like what happened with the Eternals all over again, who had shit writing in their last volume and now show up in other peoples' comics (All new Invaders, New Warriors, Hercules kind of). That was just depressing.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterofevil: See I don't put much stock in those rumors, but I'm very much done with Marvel already. Their business practices and the looks into the thoughts behind their ideas as well as the people who have cone into power within the company have killed any attachment I have to the brand. And the constant "gimmick" titles have made it impossible for me to even try to follow their line outside the X-Men.

To be honest I'm very close to being done for good with them.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because they've showed they should be feared Constabtly.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's time to end this X-Men persecution crap. In a world where actual gods, sorcerers, and monsters are running around, it makes no sense to fear mutants. It's time to find a new angle.

Takeshi57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@weaponmaster: I've never heard of anyone hating a human with 6 digits on each hand, or webbed fingers/toes.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#91  Edited By dernman

Because they're dirty filthy gene scum. Oh and they smell.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: i cant take end of X to seriously.......its a wait and see kind a thing

skepta91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know i'm an Empath and that's not quite the same thing but that's besides the point. Say said person handed me a gun and said this woman is a mutant and possesses the ability of manipulating plastic with her mind kill her and prove your humanity i'd turn around look at the people and go. NO, i'm not doing this because it is wrong and I don't hate people because they're genetically different I hate them because of people like you I will not kill someone just because their skins blue ot they have pointy ears. I don't kill animals apersonally and they're different and have pointed ears why is this any different. I know how the evil side to humanity would respond to my defense on mutants/gifted beings but I simply wouldn't care i'd not do it I couldn't do it i'd even go as far as date/mate with one if I felt something for them. People kill them because they fear what they cannot control (mental healths a perfect example) so they discriminate and main and even as far as injure to that which they cannot control because they can. I say they're wrong if mutants to such a degree existed in real life human being or not i'd defend them because they have feelings and emotions too and they deserve a chance to great in the wrold too. :) One day we might need them and what if we're wrong and something more sinister came along. We're doomed because we destroyed our only hope.

Laiks Stake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because they're a threat to the human race, they're taking our world.

Someone like Spider-Man, Iron Man or Thor are just individuals, not a entire race.

znop01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By znop01

@laiks stake said:

Someone like Spider-Man, Iron Man or Thor are just individuals, not a entire race.

That logic comes across like the reasoning that the "Alt Right" espouse to justify their bigotry towards any immigrant who comes to "the land of the free" but, isn't of Anglo-Saxon descent -- mutants are natural born Earthlings too. I'm just saying...

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

because marvel wants to continue this allegory of mutants representing minorities. this is so dumb to me now. they need to move past that.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Only in comics.

In the real world, people would praise them

Avatar image for deactivated-60e87a786cc9c
    deactivated-60e87a786cc9c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Only in comics.

In the real world, people would praise them

If they go around saying we are more evolved than you.Than no they don't.

Avatar image for deactivated-60e87a786cc9c
    deactivated-60e87a786cc9c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@znop01 said:
    @laiks stake said:

That logic comes across like the reasoning that the "Alt Right" espouse to justify their bigotry towards any immigrant who comes to "the land of the free" but, isn't of Anglo-Saxon descent -- mutants are natural born Earthlings too. I'm just saying...

Yes,the race thing is the more important aspect of the story.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.