Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Why Cyclops is everyone's least favourite X-Man

• 135 results
    time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#1  Edited By time1
    Avatar image for emequious_swerve
    Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@time:

That article is extremely tongue in cheek. You understand that, right??

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People are just jealous.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time:

Doesn't change the fact that the person made some valid points.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL funny article. He's one of my favorites. My least favorite X characters are the ones like Wolverine, Cable, Hope and etc.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

He's not my least favorite X-man, that honor goes to Dazzler, no matter how many people tell me she's great I just don't care at all about the character. I just feel aggressively apathetic about her.

Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time said:

Doesn't change the fact that the person made some valid points.

If the points that he is making are out of context for the sake of humor, then, yes, it kind of does.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@time said:

I came across this website, which I thought was pretty cool. Listing why Cyclops is everyone's least favourite X-Man.

Here is a link

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mccarricksean/x-reasons-why-cyclops-is-everyones-least-favo-fjmu.

It's a decent read and the guy made some valid points. I do wonder why so many people on comic vine like Cyclops.

Cyclops is one of my favorite X-men, mostly for the reasons on this list.

He's had some great moments over the years, being a brave leader and a clever tactician; but it's moments like the ones on this list that that make him really distinct and fun to read.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Cyclops is always right, that's why.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Frost, Namor, and Hope are worse

JROCK72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

This guy makes a lot of great statements about Cyclops. Kinda made me rethink my feelings on him, but I'm still a fan.

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

He got back on my good favor after AvX

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Cyclops has climbed up my list of fav characters over the last few years.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's not my least as a kid he was my favorite.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time:

^ This.

Looking at the character seriously, the only major drawback on that list was anything regarding Madelyn Prior because that was legitimately a jerk moment on his part. I think a lot of people who dislike Cyclops do so because he's really by-the-book. He often takes a lot of time planning things out opposed to just jumping straight into the action. He didn't like to break the rules. He didn't like to disobey Professor X's orders. He was extremely disciplined due to the nature of his mutant powers. Essentially, he was the anti-Wolverine. Note how a lot of Cyke-haters are Wolvie fans, and note how a lot of Cyke fans are Wolvie-haters. The fact that they butt heads a lot makes the fanboy rivalry a lot worse.

I just started reading some recent X-men stuff, though. Cyclops is now apparently attempting to be hard and edgy while his foil is attempting to be the bigger man. Not sure if I like that...

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Cyke's cool.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By PeppeyHare

Cyclops is the best

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyclops is the best

Bruh, Wolverine doesn't appreciate your usage of his catchphrase to praise someone inferior to him :D

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Cyclops is the best at what he does.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By PeppeyHare
    HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

People who cant lead always find fault with leaders. That's why some hate.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By time1

Kind a strange, I find article that lists Cyclops mistakes and people go on about how much they love him. I guess we heard a lot from Cyclops fans.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time said:

Kind a strange, I find article that lists Cyclops mistakes and people go on about how much they love him. I guess we heard a lot from Cyclops fans.

haha! Did you think this would change anyone's mind about him?

I already knew all of these flaws and faults in Cyclops' character before I read the article, from reading all of his stories. To me, that's a big part of what makes him interesting.

Cyclops', like virtually ALL marvel heroes, is a flawed hero. That you never know for sure what way he'll go on something, that he does such crazy, and yet still understandable things, is part of what makes him so singular and interesting.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyclops is easily my favorite X-Man and probably always has been. People who don't like Scott Summers don't understand him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5baa5ef93cf0f
    deactivated-5baa5ef93cf0f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's been my favorite X-Man and superhero my whole life, except for 2009-2010 when he had X-Force going around killing people for him. Also when he neglected Rachel and she about went crazy. Those were some bad times for Cyclops. But hey, the guys only human right? At least he disbanded X-Force after Second Coming.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By time1

@oldnightcrawler: No I didn't think it would change people minds . I thought might open people eyes abit more about his character. Everybody has flaws. I think some of choices Cyclops has made have been digusting.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee: I don't think it's got anything to with understanding his character. His treatment of Maddie and Jean was horrible. I think on comic vine, there is too many Cyclops fans. That's what I see so far.

UrbanChill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By UrbanChill

personally never liked cyclops always thought he was lame

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

IMO he's one of my favorite Marvel characters. I've never disliked him. I just don't get why everyone hates him.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By Captain13

Cyclops is my favorite. He's been my favorite since I was 4 and only kept up with the X-Men on the 1990s cartoon.

I think Jean/Phoenix are the worst parts of the franchise. The article linked in the OP reminded me of why I dislike how convoluted everything related to Jean is.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@time said:

@oldnightcrawler: No I didn't think it would change people minds . I thought make open people eyes abit more about his character. Everybody has flaws. I think some of choices Cyclops has made have been digusting.

sure, but to me that just makes him more like a real person than most characters. You can't do the things that Cyclops does with a lot of other characters, because they have to retain their iconic heroism despite their flaws; in this way, Cyclops particularly personifies the morally grey area that the X-men as a whole inhabit. They've pretty much all done some questionable things.

Not being a good person all the time makes him more well rounded, and gives his character mistakes to grow from; it makes him more interesting than if he had just always done the right thing.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i will start to read into him by pick up all-new x-men. i think he's better with emma frost.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he's got a great smile and killer abs.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By time1

@oldnightcrawler: I am suprised with the direction of Cyclops character. He supposed to be goody 2 shoes, a good guy. Not the a person who treat people badly. Some of decisions he made has been horrible. I mean let the Avengers beat Cable to death, was the worst thing I ever seem him do.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pfft, I really hated Cyclops growing up.....he was boring, bossy and had no personality. Then I did research and found out most of the stuff that I hadn't caught on to in early readings and I REALLY hated him. But the last few years from the time Prof - X left to now Cyclops stepped up his game and got things done. Now he's my favorite X-Man. Long Live Racer X, Viva La Judge Dredd-clops

stu630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most argument have been taking out of context. And without knowing the whole strory the other argument are not worth much...

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay well here i go on a rant

1. this guy basically reuses one situation and keeps reusing the same points over and over again. he only made like 3 points

2.Just because cyclops has been an ass doesnt make him a bad character, in fact it makes him interesting. Cyclops like everyones favorite characters has his flaws and thats what makes him human.

3. This guy seems to hate character growth like every time scott does something new this guy complained

4. Seriously bringing up how he killed xavier is the most hypocritical point ever. I mean jean killed an entire galaxy and killed billions and everyone loves her. Cyclops possessed by a huge uncontrollable entity that he didnt even want in the first place kills a guy who tried to kill him and somehow hes the scum of the earth.

5. People like cyclops on the vine because he has so much character growth. The past few years scott has been one of the most bad ass xmen where as characters like wolverine have gotten dull and boring

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Dextersinister

The article was clearly an attempt to rile people up, going into X-men I was amazed at how good his character was compared with the TV cartoon.

AvsX attempted to turn Cyclops into a villain, one of the first issues after had Cap saying that he was more hated than Doom but after realizing how badly they had fluffed the writing in that p*ss poor event they had simply made him more sympathetic and they changed it to he was more popular than ever in universe.

That and Gillens run at the time was fantastic in comparison.

No Caption Provided

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time said:

@oldnightcrawler: I am suprised with the direction of Cyclops character. He supposed to be goody 2 shoes, a good guy. Not the a person who treat people badly. Some of decisions he made has been horrible. I mean let the Avengers beat Cable to death, was the worst thing I ever seem him do.

See, I don't get where people get this idea. He's kind of always just been a jerk.

Nice enough guy, best of intentions, just always a bit clueless when it comes to other people.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By John Valentine

@time said:

Do you just not like character development?

Also, at this point Cable was a terrorist who'd just kidnapped and incapacitated several members of the Avengers, what was Cyclops going to do, not knowing his motives? After this point he stepped up and followed through with Cable's mission of protecting Hope at all costs until he was driven mad by the Phoenix (and even then he was largely just doing what was best for mutantkind).

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By time1

@oldnightcrawler: Abandoning Maddie and baby Cable is the biggest mistake he ever made. I supposed your right, he is abit clueless when it comes to treated other people. That's why a lot of X-Men stop agreeing with him.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By time1

18 people like Cyclops so far, Wow. When are the fans who don't like him. Where are fans who couldn't care less about him.

BrokenSpear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time said:

1. I think the writers unwittingly developed cyclops into a hero with the most organic character progression out of any comic book.
    2. Cyclops is still a good guy, but m-day forced him to go to a place that he never wanted to go, he saw that Xaviers' methods weren't going to cut it in the current environment and that forced him to take a hardline stance. Again... very organic, we don't know who we really are or what we're capable of until we get put in a position where we're forced to act, especially when it comes to defending our loved ones.
    3. Character decisions are subjective, I've read much of what was published after m-day to present, but i never once had a wtf cyclops? moment. It all seemed like a logical progression.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By John Valentine

@time said:

1. I think the writers unwittingly developed cyclops into a hero with the most organic character progression out of any comic book.
    2. Cyclops is still a good guy, but m-day forced him to go to a place that he never wanted to go, he saw that Xaviers' methods weren't going to cut it in the current environment and that forced him to take a hardline stance. Again... very organic, we don't know who we really are or what we're capable of until we get put in a position where we're forced to act, especially when it comes to defending our loved ones.
    3. Character decisions are subjective, I've read much of what was published after m-day to present, but i never once had a wtf cyclops? moment. It all seemed like a logical progression.

The 2008 post Messiah Complex Hippie phase was a bit of a "wtf moment" but thankfully that was retconned as mind control.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By John Valentine

@time said:

@oldnightcrawler: Abandoning Maddie and baby Cable is the biggest mistake he ever made. I supposed your right, he is abit clueless when it comes to treated other people. That's why a lot of X-Men stop agreeing with him.

Oh, Cyke! Stop being so clueless all the time!

Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Emequious_Swerve

@time said:

"the way he treated Madelyn and Nathan" is a difficult argument to lead with. That was an editorial mandate to get the original X-Men back together, Cyclops isn't a real guy, he is a fictional character, and I am sure if it was in the hands of the writer at the time (claremont), that never would have happened. But it did happen, and the writers had to work around it, there wasn't many scenarios where you write Cyclops as a good person in the situation. Just, saying, it isn't the best example.

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RetconCrisis

@time said:

18 people like Cyclops, so far wow. When are the fans who don't like him. Where are fans who couldn't care less about him.

Don't worry, I can hear the haters stampeding over the horizon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of the Cyclops hater's i've had encounters with never list any of those reasons for hating him, well except him killing Xavier. But before that most of them hate him out of ignorance and due to his poor portrayal in the X-films.

@rubear said:

People are just jealous.

Over a fictional character? Uh-huh.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.