Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Why Beast is in human-form in DOFP

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Singer confirmed that he only turns blue when he's angry. Thoughts? Too similar to Hulk? Too far from the source material? Well his social life will be better at least...

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, it all sounds very Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hydesque, which is what Hanks original transformation was based off of pretty much anyways (as was the Hulk).

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PhoenixoftheTides

I never actually liked the blue version of the character - too literal, but I understand how that could work for comic audiences. I always thought the stronger thematic element related to mutants was a man that was so large and agile that he seemed like an evolutionary throwback at the same time as being more highly evolved in terms of intelligence.

Anyway, now that I think about it, I do like the concept. I like the Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde concept, even though I still think the non-furry, super intelligent version is more interesting.

fisheypixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that is incredibly stupid of him to do. Because he was plenty calm multiple times after transforming in First Class. Plus why would you change that? Most of what makes McCoy McCoy is the conflict of him being this terrifying beast. However in reality he's really one of the nicest, smartest, and most gentle of the X-Men. He was a pacifist for quite some time. And he goes the route of talking rather than fighting for the most part.

I just hope they don't screw him up like they did with Kelsey Grammer. That was awful

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
    deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm personally fine with the change. It doesn't bother me. I have to say, though, as terrible as X3 was, I liked Kelsey Grammer as Beast more than Nicholas Hoult.

goobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL, that's so stupid, they could have just said he finally made a working serum that works for periods of time.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By MakkyD

Is that not contradicting even more continuity.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

yea that actually is pretty stupid if it's true

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

to similar to hulk in my mind...not going to break the movie for me though.

Avatar image for cyclops_was_right
    CYCLOPS_WAS_RIGHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

incredibly lame idea

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@phoenixofthetides said:

I never actually liked the blue version of the character - too literal, but I understand how that could work for comic audiences. I always thought the stronger thematic element related to mutants was a man that was so large and agile that he seemed like an evolutionary throwback at the same time as being more highly evolved in terms of intelligence.

I think you're right, but I don't think having him more beast-like hurts that theme. But I guess I'm biased because I've always liked his blue look, it just makes him seem more unique among other characters.

@fisheypixels said:

I think that is incredibly stupid of him to do. Because he was plenty calm multiple times after transforming in First Class. Plus why would you change that? Most of what makes McCoy McCoy is the conflict of him being this terrifying beast. However in reality he's really one of the nicest, smartest, and most gentle of the X-Men. He was a pacifist for quite some time. And he goes the route of talking rather than fighting for the most part.

to be fair, we really only saw him as a beast the day after he first mutated himself, and only in fairly high-stress situations. I could buy that he learned to control the transformations, since he made the formula from Mystique's dna.

also, it would make it that much more poignant if he has the ability to turn back and still chooses not to.

No Caption Provided

fisheypixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By fisheypixels

@oldnightcrawler: That is true. I guess trying to stop a massive war, and fighting a super villain team could be a bit stressful. That too makes sense, however so does him making another serum that makes him only change when angry. I guess I just kind of wish they'd go the normal route. One of my favorite things about McCoy is the fact that he is this intelligent, kind, and peaceful (for the most part) person stuck looking like a beast.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: That is true. I guess trying to stop a massive war, and fighting a super villain team could be a bit stressful. That too makes sense, however so does him making another serum that makes him only change when angry.

I doubt that's what they'll do though. It would take another whole plot thread to explain a second formula, when they can just as easily explain that he's learned to control what's actually just a temporary transformation from him being infused with Mystique's adaptive dna. Her power is to shape-shift to begin with, so that gives them an easy out on how he changes back and forth (and turns blue).

And, like I said, giving him the choice of which form to be in can help develop his character in a new way.

One of my favorite things about McCoy is the fact that he is this intelligent, kind, and peaceful (for the most part) person stuck looking like a beast.

he can still be all those things.

fisheypixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: It wouldn't necessarily have to be a whole new plot. I mean, he doesn't like being blue, so he just works on a new serum on the side. The thing about the choice is that movie Hank is really insecure and awkward, etc. So being insecure I doubt he would change into blue Beast often at all. Maybe in a blind rage when he doesn't really know what's going on.

Of course, but the biggest conflict in his character is the biggest contradiction. Terrifying looking beast who is just a teddy bear inside. The fact that he is insecure about how he looks as human is amplified by him looking like a beast. And one reason why his character is so great is he doesn't let it get to him. (not at first, but over time)

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler:

1. It wouldn't necessarily have to be a whole new plot. I mean, he doesn't like being blue, so he just works on a new serum on the side. The thing about the choice is that movie Hank is really insecure and awkward, etc. So being insecure I doubt he would change into blue Beast often at all. Maybe in a blind rage when he doesn't really know what's going on.
    2. Of course, but the biggest conflict in his character is the biggest contradiction. Terrifying looking beast who is just a teddy bear inside. The fact that he is insecure about how he looks as human is amplified by him looking like a beast. And one reason why his character is so great is he doesn't let it get to him. (not at first, but over time)

1. I think that's the idea they're going for, that he starts out not wanting to succumb to his advanced mutation, but learning to accept it and eventually be totally fine with it.

2. he would still develop into that character, he just wouldn't start there. It's not like he started there in the comics, he was pretty down on his secondary mutation when he first joined the Avengers.

fisheypixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: True, true. My first thought, seeing Hank as human, was he was using the whole latex mask and everything. But that's been proven wrong.

Yes. For each of his mutations, I feel that he has gone through the same thing.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

didn't he revert back to human form a couple of times before it became permanent? i cant be sure of this but i think i got a few old x factor comics where he had turned back human

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@fisheypixels said:

@oldnightcrawler: True, true. My first thought, seeing Hank as human, was he was using the whole latex mask and everything. But that's been proven wrong.

Nightcrawler using his image inducer to do impressions, 1976
    Nightcrawler using his image inducer to do impressions, 1976

mm.. what if it had been an image inducer like Nightcrawler had in the comics?

that would be kind of interesting since he gets his secondary mutation in the movie from Mystique, who it seems was based on that (blue, alien looking character that can look like anyone, appeared two years before Mystique)..

Yes. For each of his mutations, I feel that he has gone through the same thing.

Except his most recent, but this time it seemed like he just felt lucky to be alive.

@mcklayn said:

didn't he revert back to human form a couple of times before it became permanent? i cant be sure of this but i think i got a few old x factor comics where he had turned back human

Beast had his first secondary mutation in Amazing Adventures #11 - Lo! A Beast Is Born, 1972, shortly after leaving the X-men, and remained in basically that form until X-Factor, 1986, but only remained in his more human looking form until issue #33 - For All The World To See, 1988. He's still mostly been the furry Beast for more than 40 years, so, most of his adult life.

He was reverted back to his original form for the same reason Cyclops left his wife and Jean was written out of Dark Phoenix Saga: so they could have the original five X-men as they were in the 60's. (This is off-topic, but I think anyone who thinks that the premise behind All-New X-Men is especially contrived should at least consider how much more contrived it was for X-factor.)

fisheypixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: I forgot about that... That could also be true. But why would he use it in the x-mansion? I mean they already know he looks to be that way, but I guess that would make things more comfortable for him.

I can't say anything on that since I'm only on All New X-Men 3.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.