Why are the X-Men writers, recycling the same ideas ?

#1 Edited by time (5004 posts) - - Show Bio

As we know Emma Frost is slowly turning evil and we know Cyclops will end up fighting her in the end of the Avengers vs X-Men event. She probley die in the end. Why are they doing this, why are they recycling the same ideas. Is cause Jean Grey returning or they have nothing better to do with Emma Frost character. I'm not a huge fan of Emma Frost and I'm not a fan of the Avengers vs X-Men event, I don't like where the story is going. Is just seems to me, that Emma will end up like Jean Grey, turning evil and ending up dead. Shouldn't marvel do something more with Emma Frost character. What do you guys think? What should marvel do with the Phoenix force, get rid of it completely or have someone who has better control of it and never turns evil.

Call Me Emma...
No more secrets
#2 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

This is what she gets for a certain writer saying that "Emma will be at the heart of AvX".

#3 Posted by Roddy010 (5248 posts) - - Show Bio

Now she gets a taste of what Jean had to go through...Karma is a b!+c#...

#4 Posted by Trodorne (2589 posts) - - Show Bio

Its just marvel executives being douche bags at saying....

.. so what gets me is they are going out of their way to destroy Scott and Emma's relationship since Uncanny 530...something. Like they proved their love for each other time and time again like the more recent was Dark Reign when she turned her back on the cabal. It makes me mad that a relationship that was found on the idea that scott loved a woman who did not die like jean did. but all the old fans on marvel website are complaining they want Scott and Jean back together. Which is complete bull crap. Scott was a panty waste before he was with emma. she made him better. and that is a relationship that would have worked too. Jean was the high school romance that out grew itself.

#5 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3553 posts) - - Show Bio

Most writers aren't that creative, which is why particularly good ones stand out so clearly. The Phoenix Saga has been a major part of the X-Men mythos, so many writers feel the need to constantly reference it or attempt to channel it ad infinitum with no interesting changes.

But to be honest, most writers don't really understand Emma. They know she can be mean-spirited and cold, but they don't really go beyond that. Even in "Dark Reign" she was once again in her usual position of presumably "betraying" the team for some greater good (this also happened in "Generation X" a couple of times). I don't think they know how to write a character with such up-front business sense, capable of writing off a bad investment with minimal emotional attachment in a relationship. To put it bluntly, Emma Frost is not 'evil' - power hungry, conniving and capable of doing whatever she thought it took to win, but she simply has a different philosophy, set of ethics and beliefs than most of the X-Men, but she is not evil in the way that Apocalypse, Mr. Sinister, The Shadow King and even Magneto was. As far as she's concerned, if she was able to control the world with an organization like the Illuminati with minimal changes and maximum profit, she'd be quite pleased. She's capable of ruthlessness, but that's it. She's entertaining because she's willing to get her hands dirty, but I think some writers mistake that for taking stupid risks or being easy to tempt.

I am at the point where I think the PF should be gotten rid of completely at this point. It's added nothing noteworthy to Marvel and hasn't even really been inter-twined with the rest of the Marvel U. A lot of the most recent storylines makes it look as pathetic as the Triforce.

#6 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer Emma to be her own character, but I believe its her insecurities about Jean returning further enhance the idea she is Jean's "replacement". She isn't though. But add in all this association with the Phoenix:P

During Fraction's run, I believe he did irreparable damage to her, turning her into a needy wife and I really hated Scott and Emma's relationship under Fraction's pen. She was just his girlfriend, not his equal. Plus, he reduce her calling people "tramp" and "that's so last season". Seriously, Emma doesn't resort to clichés

Anyhow, I don't think she is going to make it out of AvX in one piece.

#7 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

Your threads are boring and samey. Please stop.

#8 Posted by time (5004 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

Your statements are are boring and samey. Please stop.

Stop wasting your time and everyone esles time, by posting your pointless opinions. Don't you have something better to do. Stop wasting everyone's time.

#9 Posted by CheeseSticks (2474 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

This.

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33395 posts) - - Show Bio
@time: Because Marvel executives have told them to 
#11 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5892 posts) - - Show Bio

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

Most writers aren't that creative, which is why particularly good ones stand out so clearly. The Phoenix Saga has been a major part of the X-Men mythos, so many writers feel the need to constantly reference it or attempt to channel it ad infinitum with no interesting changes.

But to be honest, most writers don't really understand Emma. They know she can be mean-spirited and cold, but they don't really go beyond that. Even in "Dark Reign" she was once again in her usual position of presumably "betraying" the team for some greater good (this also happened in "Generation X" a couple of times). I don't think they know how to write a character with such up-front business sense, capable of writing off a bad investment with minimal emotional attachment in a relationship. To put it bluntly, Emma Frost is not 'evil' - power hungry, conniving and capable of doing whatever she thought it took to win, but she simply has a different philosophy, set of ethics and beliefs than most of the X-Men, but she is not evil in the way that Apocalypse, Mr. Sinister, The Shadow King and even Magneto was. As far as she's concerned, if she was able to control the world with an organization like the Illuminati with minimal changes and maximum profit, she'd be quite pleased. She's capable of ruthlessness, but that's it. She's entertaining because she's willing to get her hands dirty, but I think some writers mistake that for taking stupid risks or being easy to tempt.

I am at the point where I think the PF should be gotten rid of completely at this point. It's added nothing noteworthy to Marvel and hasn't even really been inter-twined with the rest of the Marvel U. A lot of the most recent storylines makes it look as pathetic as the Triforce.

I agree with all of this. I wish that Marvel would just come up with different stories instead of using the same concepts over and over again, although the Phoenix Force concept is a huge part of the X-Men mythos. They just need to use the Phoenix Force concept in a way that doesn't make it so repetitive.

#12 Posted by papad1992 (6829 posts) - - Show Bio

My guess is that Cyclops and Emma will engage in battle and as Cyclops has the upper hand... the image of Jean's death as the Phoenix appears in his mind and is distracted while Emma delivers a final blow and kills Cyclops only for her to realize that she has been corrupted and flees to hide in shame! Then we can move on to the more important X-Men!!

**Oh and this is funny:

@CheeseSticks said:

@John Valentine said:

This.

#13 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

@time said:

@John Valentine said:

Your statements are are boring and samey. Please stop.

Stop wasting your time and everyone esles time, by posting your pointless opinions. Don't you have something better to do. Stop wasting everyone's time.

JV is a troll. He can't stop cuz he would have no other reason to exist.

#14 Posted by cattlebattle (12770 posts) - - Show Bio
@John Valentine said:

Its honestly a step up from "which X-men wear the coolest socks??" or whatever nonsensical thread this person usually posts....you should be encouraging them.
#15 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

Because it's easy.

It's not only the X men who get the rehashed story lines.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.