Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Who would be the best mentors for the students?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I've been tossing this around in my mind for a while now. Who would you consider to be the best mentors for the x-students or up and coming aspiring xmen?

I always thought that one of the things that made the Academy X books so enjoyable at least for me was not only the kids coming of age and the different powers and squads formed, but the role that the teachers or mentors, if you will, played in the student's lives and the decisions or actions the students took. (also Kyle and Yost were the best)

Looking at how Aaron just took everyone on Wolverine's side of the Schism and made them a teacher just didn't work imo. And even with the relaunch of the WATX series, I'm hearing Quire's now a teacher and Fantomex is being invited in to teach. Good God!! Really?!! Not encouraging at all.

Anyway I was thinking that seeing Emma and Magik out with the students in Uncanny felt like a bit of a throwback to the Academy X days. Also with Kitty actually being in the field with O5, it's kind of cool to see them teaching/mentoring and fighting alongside the students in real-life situations/crisis. It reminded me of Gambit and the surprisingly good mentor he was to Jubilee and X-23.

So again, who would you say are the best xmen to take on a mentorship-type of role to the next generation of mutants?

numi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By numi

I may get crucified for this but I honestly think that Cyclops is one of the best teachers. He's been through it all and knows tactics and explains things to his students as they go. Like why they have to learn to do things without their powers. Aside from his killing Charles he is a very upstanding and moral guy but he's smart about it too. He knows when you have to bend and how to compromise, something they're not learning at the JGS. Otherwise, Emma is really a good teacher, focusing on bringing out the potential of students and knows how to go about it.

Of course that's all just my opinion...

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PhoenixoftheTides

I'm going based off of the characters who are natural leaders that aren't burned out by being responsible. That set of characteristics isn't always emphasized by combat leaders. I'll go with Cyclops, Karma, Shadowcat, Northstar, Dazzler, Mirage, Cannonball, Emma Frost and Chamber for that type of role.

Rebelpunk13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Doop

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyclops obviously here...

and never ever ever ever would wolvie be a good tutor...

Franchise1590

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disagree, Wolverine could be a good teacher but no one wants him to suceed at it. Also Cyclops is too wraped up in his crusade to connect with anyone on an emotional level.

Cyclops only having lasting relationships with women who can read his mind is the clear sign of a sociopath.

Neither are best or great examples for kids , and at best only be decent.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Ororo Munroe aka Storm

No Caption Provided

Franchise1590

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Franchise1590

On topic of actual good teachers I think Shadowcat, Nightcrawler, Rouge was a great leader in her series, Emma was good as well.

Those I think would be most respnsible.

Honorable mentions to Colossos, Storm, Gambit, and Havok.

Those guys would be great because they have caring personalities.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By frozenedge2

Probably the best teachers for students would probably be Nightcrawler, Emma Frost, Kitty, Moonstar, Chamber and honorable mention is Wolverine. Despite what people think, Logan would be/is a good teacher seeing how he's mentored Jubilee, X-23, Kitty, Armor at one point, and Idie.

numi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By numi

@frozenedge said:

Probably the best teachers for students would probably be Nightcrawler, Emma Frost, Kitty, Moonstar, Chamber and honorable mention is Wolverine. Despite what people think, Logan would be/is a good teacher seeing how he's mentored Jubilee, X-23, Kitty, Armor at one point, and Idie.

Wolverine has only mentored them in combat. So he would make a good hand to hand combat teacher but that's about it.

@franchise1590

Also, This is about teaching, right? Not dating, so calling out Cyclops for not having lasting relationships that are not with telepaths is immaterial. And he's not a sociopath. That would imply that he has zero empathy and can't understand why other people do things, which he can. Not sharing his own emotions doesn't make him a sociopath, it makes him reserved and controlled most of the time.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much any old school/classic era X-Men: Wolverine, Cyclops, Storm, Iceman, Beast, Kitty, Jubilee, Jean, Gambit, etc.

They're all characters i'd describe as having seen it all and done it all, with pretty much a ton of experience to pass down to the future mutant leaders of tomorrow. That being said, people like Kitty and Jubilee are the ones i'd enjoy seeing most, as they used to be the students. They used to be the new guys (or girls in this case lol) and we've seen them grow over the years, from barely being able to control their powers, into confident young women who can more than hold their own. Those are the characters that make for the best teachers in my eyes, especially to readers as readers can know perfectly well where they're coming from with some of their lessons.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

James Bond

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Storm and Iceman for Oya.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30

Storm and Iceman for Oya.

I'd like to see this happen.

@thread I think Storm, Kitty, Nightcrawler, and Beast (probably Firestar as well) would be great and ideal mentors for the next generation of mutants.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By darthphoenix

The younger batch of teachers

kitty, rachel, husk, cannonball, chamber,jubillee

I think these people are more out of the box and would easily relate or connect tio the students because age gap wont be that much of a problem

skypilotbinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forge - He can pretty much invent anything to help him teach the students.
    M - She is pretty much all the current mentors roled up into one person.
    Rictor - He can teach students how to get by without their powers.

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think its time for the Adult cyclops, beast, iceman, angel, to stop being x-men( active) and join storm, wolverine, colossus, nightcrawler, kitty pryde, rogue, & emma frost as the teachers letting the like of the remaining new mutants & gen X's as the new X-men team!!!!

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@numi said:

I may get crucified for this but I honestly think that Cyclops is one of the best teachers. He's been through it all and knows tactics and explains things to his students as they go. Like why they have to learn to do things without their powers. Aside from his killing Charles he is a very upstanding and moral guy but he's smart about it too. He knows when you have to bend and how to compromise, something they're not learning at the JGS. Otherwise, Emma is really a good teacher, focusing on bringing out the potential of students and knows how to go about it.

What are you talking about she even admitted that she pushed her first students(the hellions) to far that she lost them. She's too much of a tough teacher to be any good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5baa5ef93cf0f
    deactivated-5baa5ef93cf0f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyclops, Kitty, Nightcrawler, Karma, Quicksilver, Rachel, Gambit and Havok.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@numi said:

What are you talking about she even admitted that she pushed her first students(the hellions) to far that she lost them. She's too much of a tough teacher to be any good.

I am pretty sure that one of her first responses upon learning the Hellions were dead was to claim that she hadn't trained them hard enough so they had no chance against Fitzroy. It's possible that what she might have meant, if your quote is accurate, is that she pushed them into a confrontation with the X-Men that lead to them dying. They actually acquitted themselves well against the X-Men under her training, even when they weren't at full strength, so her toughness was somewhat successful.

numi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#

@numi said:

See Uncanny X-men 14 for reference as to current methods. Further, she doesn't baby or coddle students and she's been doing it a hell of a lot longer than a lot of the other "teachers" mentioned.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.