Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Who's the best X-book writer?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Poll Who's the best X-book writer? (28 votes)

Chris Claremont 32%
    Grant Morrison 7%
    Brian Wood 11%
    Joss Whedon 21%
    Brian Micheal Bendis 4%
    Keiron Gillen 0%
    Rick Remender 4%
    Peter David 4%
    name others 18%

There's always discussion about the current state of the X-men and who's writing what. So I wanted to know who do you count as the best writer? I know we are covering a huge chunk of time with the choices but I'd guess the question is more lie who would want writing your x-book? Thoughts?

• 
    AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

From that list: Claremont, Wood or Morrison. Not on that list: Spurrier, Weir/DeFillipis, Nicieza or Kim. No idea what Bendis is doing there, as he isn't writing any proper x-titles atm.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

claremont created something out of nothing, laid the building blocks for anything positive we have had since he left and really set the tone for the entire franchise, wrote most of the memorable stories and created the characters that we all know and love today, until some one else has been on the book a decade or so no one can even attempt to dethrone him

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#3  Edited By time1

Claremont, Fabian Nicieza and Scott Loddell are X-Men best writers.Kyle and Yost are also good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

Whedon was the most consistent out of the ones I've read, but I also like (old) Claremont and Wood.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

Claremont,Morrison,Whedon,Wood,and Bendis are some good writers that I liked on the x-books but Loddell and Austen are on the fence for me.

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn: Actually if I might offer something, it was actually Len Wein who pulled the X-Men out the ditch they were dug into. Claremont used that framework to build the golden age of "X" with Shooter, Defalco, Simonson, Harras and Gruenwald. Wein started the fire that Claremont carried for 15 years.

@time: Claremont (Yes), Fabian Nicieza (Yes) and Scott Loddell (breaks screeching...). Two outta three ain't bad.

I like Simonson best tied with Claremont, with Whedon, Nicieza following behind that. Honorable mentions are Busiek, Byrne, Stern, Wein, and Layton.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn: Actually if I might offer something, it was actually Len Wein who pulled the X-Men out the ditch they were dug into. Claremont used that framework to build the golden age of "X" with Shooter, Defalco, Simonson, Harras and Gruenwald. Wein started the fire that Claremont carried for 15 years.

He scripted two issues that played out like an Avengers story, I would hardly call that pulling them out of a ditch. Weins biggest contribution was the creation of Wolverine.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By McKlayn

@time said:

Claremont, Fabian Nicieza and Scott Loddell are X-Men best writers.Kyle and Yost are also good.

I totally forgot about Lobdell im actually a fan of his, loved his Gen X work, also some one no one else mentioned (and for pretty good reason because he really didn't stay around long enough to be in this convo still) was Ed Brubaker his Rise and Fall of the Shiar arc was a good read

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Claremont's the king. While he may not have built them out of nothing, he was definitely the writer to first make the X-men truly great. I still think his work from '79-'86 beats any other X-men run for original ideas, character development, and development of the major themes that define the concept of the book. Stories like Proteus, Days of Future Past, God Loves/Man Kills, anything with the Morlocks, the Hellfire Club, Nimrod, Mystique's Brotherhood, The Trial of Magneto, The Mutant Massacre, the original Genosha story were all instant classics that still feel definitive today.

It could be said that his later work seemed far less focused, it could even be argued that he actually wrote more mediocre to bad X-men comics than anyone else, given how long (and how many times) he wrote the characters; but I'd still argue that he wrote more really great classic stories than anyone else too.

Joss Whedon, on the other hand never wrote a bad issue of X-men, his were all great, but he did only write like 25 issues. And, yeah, they are all great, but even he seems to understand that he's essentially doing an homage to the work of Claremont and Morrison.

Grant Morrison probably did just as many great issues as Whedon, even if he did do a lot more that weren't all that great, but I think, overall, he probably added a lot more to the story than most X-men writers have.

I'll always like the years the main books were done by Fabian Nicieza and Scott Loddell, overall; but in retrospect it didn't always feel like they had the freedom to really let the characters develop very much between events, a dilemma still faced by a lot of writers today, it seems.

There's a bunch of current X-men writers that interest me now, too (most of them, actually), but I still feel it's too early for me to judge those guys in comparison to the others I like, given that they're not finished yet.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By AgeofHurricane

Oh, annnd Seagle annnd Kelly. Even if they were cut excrutiatingly short.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Claremont's the king. While he may not have built them out of nothing, he was definitely the writer to first make the X-men truly great. I still think his work from '79-'86 beats any other X-men run for original ideas, character development, and development of the major themes that define the concept of the book. Stories like Proteus, Days of Future Past, God Loves/Man Kills, anything with the Morlocks, the Hellfire Club, Nimrod, Mystique's Brotherhood, The Trial of Magneto, The Mutant Massacre, the original Genosha story were all instant classics that still feel definitive today.

It could be said that his later work seemed far less focused, it could even be argued that he actually wrote more mediocre to bad X-men comics than anyone else, given how long (and how many times) he wrote the characters; but I'd still argue that he wrote more really great classic stories than anyone else too.

Joss Whedon, on the other hand never wrote a bad issue of X-men, his were all great, but he did only write like 25 issues. And, yeah, they are all great, but even he seems to understand that he's essentially doing an homage to the work of Claremont and Morrison.

Grant Morrison probably did just as many great issues as Whedon, even if he did do a lot more that weren't all that great, but I think, overall, he probably added a lot more to the story than most X-men writers have.

I'll always like the years the main books were done by Fabian Nicieza and Scott Loddell, overall; but in retrospect it didn't always feel like they had the freedom to really let the characters develop very much between events, a dilemma still faced by a lot of writers today, it seems.

There's a bunch of current X-men writers that interest me now, too (most of them, actually), but I still feel it's too early for me to judge those guys in comparison to the others I like, given that they're not finished yet.

Bravo!

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

where is Yost?

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By John Valentine

The best writer at the moment is Brian Wood; though I must say that I didn't rate his first run on X-Men Vol.3, his Ultimate Comics X-Men and X-Men Vol.4 stuff has been fantastic.

Of all time.... Well, the list would be pretty heavy, but my personal favourites include Yost, Carey, PAD, Whedon, Gillen, Remender, Morrison, Claremont, and Nicieza for starters.

Lobdell is mixed, but overall I like him. Wouldn't rate him as one of the best X-writers ever.

The worst - Milligan (for X-Men), Fraction, Chuck Austen....

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Milligan is the best for X-Statix alone.

BB

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

Morrison, obviously.

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: Sorry I dont see any notifications anymore for some reason. I think you need to research the behind the scenes things that wein did, such as setting the stage for chris to write it in the first place. he instrumental, look it up if dont believe me.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Grant Morrison had the best run.Did a good bunch of issues and made some great stories.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.