Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Who Have More Potential Storm or Iceman

• 72 results
    Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

@adamtrmm said:

@oldnightcrawler:

WOLVERINE and the X-men had a bigger cast yet many characters could be considered as leading. In Uncanny where new students are clearly supporting and excluding Emma, makes Cyclops and Magik the only main characters? Why? I say in 24 issues Bendis could've made even those children main cast as well, without overlooking someone pretty important like Emma. imo

not every story has main characters, that needn't be a flaw in the story.

in the case of Uncanny', Cyclops is the main character more so than the other X-men. Really even Mystique and Hill are more central characters than most of the X-men; but the focus of the story not being on the individual members of the team doesn't in itself make it a bad story.

I mean, yeah, if you look at books like The New Mutants or Generation X or lots of other superhero books, they use that approach of introducing a cast, establishing the personalities and relationships through the group dynamic, and hopefully making you interested enough in the characters to care about the story. And that way works, but that doesn't mean that it's the only way to tell a story, or that it needs to be any kind of measure of a story.

Lots of fine stories have been written without using that formula; this is just one of them.

Drizzle1030

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Drizzle1030

Tho iceman is a omega mutant.. I believe the potential goes to Storm..

Yes she can display her powers n space... Other planets... this planet... weild magics that to my knowledge thats hasnt been explored all the way... Storm's power is limited becuz the writers who write them are limited in their thinking... yes Iceman has all this power and potential becuz emma tapped into them.. this omega title is hilarious to me, jean was or is a omega mutant, but still seem weak to me w/out the phoenix.. so the potential goes to Storm.. hands down.. becuz of the writers..

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bobby

Avatar image for deactivated-57c7d84814d87
    deactivated-57c7d84814d87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthphoenix: storm has planetary weather now and is known to create unnatural weather on planet earth. storm also has the potential to wield magic and her family has ties to witchcraft plus storm has one of the strongest will power in the x-men team.

storm many times holds back in battles and suppresses extreme feelings to prevent terrible weather from happening. she has to keep her emotions in check.

Avatar image for deactivated-57c7d84814d87
    deactivated-57c7d84814d87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthphoenix: storm can be deadly as well : make it where you can't breathe and kill mutants for those that can't heal themselves/create shields and has powers that is under storms powers via tornadoes/hurricanes/lightening strikes/etc would kill those type of mutants.

as far as human beings go : storm for the " most " part could kill many....many humans via tornadoes/hurricanes/etc and make the weather so terrible that life as they know it would come to a end.

we are not going to aid in what her magical potential could lead to her doing.

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Malachi_Munroe

doesn't omega level mean mutants who have unlimited potential in how they could use their powers? and judging my the explanation on the page here on comic vine regarding them and their abilities its more dealing with how their powers can be used so basically iceman has unlimited ways in which he could manipulate moisture and thermal energy right? because i've seen in arguments he slows down the movements of molecules thus resulting in ice so technically he could freeze anything and is only limited by his imagination . Storm on the other hand has the potential to have unlimited potential in how her powers could be applied to situations. She manipulates the energies that govern weather that result in elemental phenomenon plus she has shown that she can manipulate the elements directly on an atomic level by gathering hydrogen atoms, changing the state of water instantly (in the same comic it appeared that she either transformed the lower half of her body into lightning or channeled it inward and expelled it from her lower body causing her to zip across the sky at a phenomenal speed). She has also been shown to go beyond her natural limits i.e the jovian pressure field , except she fainted immediately afterwards and creating a massive tornado which she noted would have repercussions around the globe because it was unnatural. Now judging by that i would say that as of now Bobby has more potential within their mutual element which is moisture/water , and because we haven't seen any alternate version of storm display her powers in her elemental form (which even iceman and beast noted that she seemed more intimidating now than before.) it means that as of now i have to give it to bobby in the moisture department. and technically the only limit storm's powers have is how they manifest themselves in certain environments....i would also add that in x-treme x-men it was discovered that storm can see the nervous system and the nervous system is made up of electrochemical waves , the heart has its own little electrical signals that make it pump meaning that she could manipulate things that happen within the human body mind you that she did manipulate pressure and air inside people ..and given the way her powers work theoretically she could do the things that he can (she might not be as good as him in the moisture and temp department.) but she might not have the skill in the same area as him as he has been with that particular element nearly all his life. bobby can exist so long as there is moisture to form himself a new body. Storm has the potential to basically exist anywhere..considering her energies are found across the universe and in vast quantities more so than what is found on earth. She theoretically could exist as any kind of energy as long as it can be used by her in some sort of elemental phenomenon, she could probably exist as thermal , electrical ,tidal, electromagnetic energy and plasma no matter the source be it organic or inorganic as long as it plays a part in weather phenomenon. so again i say as of now and probably forever bobby has more potential over moisture and cold while storm has WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more at her disposal ..and by that reasoning she could be one of the last beings to exist in MU ...what say you?@thunderbolt30

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@malachi_munroe: Storm. Not just in terms of versatility but also in over all skills and capability.

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderbolt30: ...i sound like a conspiracy theorist with that long a$$ post.

AmazonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ummm Storm is an omega level mutant, from my understanding.

She also pulled in the power of suns to kill the brood, that's epic. She also has-the potential for magic in her bloodline.

Storm has more potential full stop.

Avatar image for lordofallhumans
    LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazonwarrior: Storm is not an omega level mutant, and all humans and just about every race in the Marvel universe has the ability to use magic, Storms ancestors had an affinity for magic , but that does not make her more magically adept than any other person that actually practices it.

We are talking about potential here. The way Bobby's powers work he can potentially do anything Storm can do and can already survive without a physical body and has matter manipulation powers in the sense that he can transmute inorganic matter ( water in all it's forms) into flesh and bone. If he tapped his powers he could potentially create organic beings by transforming his ice constructs into living beings the way he does his own body. No amount of weather manipulation will allow Storm to directly create life.

AmazonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazonwarrior: Storm is not an omega level mutant, and all humans and just about every race in the Marvel universe has the ability to use magic, Storms ancestors had an affinity for magic , but that does not make her more magically adept than any other person that actually practices it.

We are talking about potential here. The way Bobby's powers work he can potentially do anything Storm can do and can already survive without a physical body and has matter manipulation powers in the sense that he can transmute inorganic matter ( water in all it's forms) into flesh and bone. If he tapped his powers he could potentially create organic beings by transforming his ice constructs into living beings the way he does his own body. No amount of weather manipulation will allow Storm to directly create life.

ahhh fair enough, for some reason storm shows on the "omega mutants" section of the wiki, and i thought at one point ( its been awhile!) that a sentinel identified her an omega?? :/ has this not been confirmed or is it-still sorta floating around?

I dunno, I always thought storms powers went far beyond just controlling weather, that she is in-tune with an an entire planet.... and well, she can draw up on the powers of suns and solar winds.

I am still gonna go with storm, but i respect your feedback, and your point of view :-D

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

in the case of Uncanny', Cyclops is the main character more so than the other X-men. Really even Mystique and Hill are more central characters than most of the X-men; but the focus of the story not being on the individual members of the team doesn't in itself make it a bad story.

I mean, yeah, if you look at books like The New Mutants or Generation X or lots of other superhero books, they use that approach of introducing a cast, establishing the personalities and relationships through the group dynamic, and hopefully making you interested enough in the characters to care about the story. And that way works, but that doesn't mean that it's the only way to tell a story, or that it needs to be any kind of measure of a story.

Lots of fine stories have been written without using that formula; this is just one of them.

Exactly, then why even integrating her into the cast when she isn't really being used and, the way I understand, wasn't supposed to the part of it as it was hinted in AVX:C (a conversation with Kitty? Am I the only one to remember that?).

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@adamtrmm said:

Exactly, then why even integrating her into the cast when she isn't really being used and, the way I understand, wasn't supposed to the part of it as it was hinted in AVX:C (a conversation with Kitty? Am I the only one to remember that?).

That she had her own reasons for not wanting to be with Cyclops anymore doesn't mean she didn't also have her own reasons for wanting to help with this new team. It doesn't have to be an either/or thing. None of the characters are main characters all the time.

I mean, just because she's not a big part of the main story at the moment doesn't mean she isn't being used. Stories use supporting characters as well, and she's been there helping lead the Cuckoos and train the new characters. That might not be super important to the main story now, but it's bound to be important to her story when she becomes a more central character again.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Storm and Iceman both have great potential. Storm is the better and more versatile character but i like both. I especially happened to like the Astonishing Xmen version of Bobby when he went dark and started freezing everything

as for Emma: I think Emma would benefit from being released from Bendis' pen and having her own team at the moment. Maybe her and other characters not being used at the moment like Warpath, Magma, Husk, Siryn, and Chamber. I think Emma should be more central to a story than Magik should be. Dont get me wrong I like Magik ok though Im not a huge fan of the supernatural/demonic stuff and would prefer if they just kept it about powers and mutations. In fact if it were me I'd rather replace Magik with Rachel as the uber-powerful member of the team and have someone else as the teleporter or make downgrade Magik's power to just that.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That she had her own reasons for not wanting to be with Cyclops anymore doesn't mean she didn't also have her own reasons for wanting to help with this new team. It doesn't have to be an either/or thing. None of the characters are main characters all the time.

I mean, just because she's not a big part of the main story at the moment doesn't mean she isn't being used. Stories use supporting characters as well, and she's been there helping lead the Cuckoos and train the new characters. That might not be super important to the main story now, but it's bound to be important to her story when she becomes a more central character again.

People tend to say she was a Cyclops' lapdog for the whole pre-AVX era, but realistically, she had her own business all the time, mostly behind his back. The point is, I don't think Emma should've accepted being irrelevant and lost without her telepathy, and even if so, that situation could be an interesting thing to explore. All she is right now is a whiny, broken woman who still has a crush on her ex. Also, now that she is so tied to Cuckoos, while them being "more loyal to Scott" and "not really liking Emma" on many occasions seems to be also completely overlooked.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:
    1. People tend to say she was a Cyclops' lapdog for the whole pre-AVX era, but realistically, she had her own business all the time, mostly behind his back.
    2. The point is, I don't think Emma should've accepted being irrelevant and lost without her telepathy, and even if so, that situation could be an interesting thing to explore.
    3. All she is right now is a whiny, broken woman who still has a crush on her ex. Also, now that she is so tied to Cuckoos, while them being "more loyal to Scott" and "not really liking Emma" on many occasions seems to be also completely overlooked.
    1. I never thought of her that way, mainly for the reasons you state
    2. It would (and probably will) be interesting to see that explored in more depth, but that that's not what's happening at the moment doesn't need to reflect on her character or the story she's in.
    3. if that's all you see her as, I think that reflects more on your interpretation than what's actually been presented. Personally, I think that that she is still dedicated to the cause that Cyclops is working for, despite her own personal feelings, actually shows a strength of character. Even if she's not the main character, the character she is is still sticking to her principals despite everything.
    DaredevilDD78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

i say Iceman

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would (and probably will) be interesting to see that explored in more depth, but that that's not what's happening at the moment doesn't need to reflect on her character or the story she's in.

if that's all you see her as, I think that reflects more on your interpretation than what's actually been presented. Personally, I think that that she is still dedicated to the cause that Cyclops is working for, despite her own personal feelings, actually shows a strength of character. Even if she's not the main character, the character she is is still sticking to her principals despite everything.

Then she is nothing but a gimmick on the cover, if her current and definitive state is irrelevant for the story.

I see what has been shown to me, simple, what is exactly an interpretation right here? So she's dedicated to Cyclops' cause despite being backstabbed by him during the final AvX showdown and a confession/realization of him being the reason of her current state (which, as she said is worse then when she was a supervillain). I've never thought of Emma as Scott's lapdog, but with Bendis, I really do. While you manage to find other more significant parts most of us overlook. Anyway, the way I understand watered down personalities are acceptable directions by you?

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

Then she is nothing but a gimmick on the cover, if her current and definitive state is irrelevant for the story.

I see what has been shown to me, simple, what is exactly an interpretation right here? So she's dedicated to Cyclops' cause despite being backstabbed by him during the final AvX showdown and a confession/realization of him being the reason of her current state (which, as she said is worse then when she was a supervillain). I've never thought of Emma as Scott's lapdog, but with Bendis, I really do. While you manage to find other more significant parts most of us overlook. Anyway, the way I understand watered down personalities are acceptable directions by you?

I just don't see her personality as being "watered down". She's just not the main character; not being the main character doesn't make her any less in-character, nor does it make her part in the story any less important to her character.

If you've read the Dark Phoenix Saga, you might notice that Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Angel, Beast, Kitty -most of the X-men in that story- are actually of very little relevance to the story itself; essentially, most of the X-men in that story are in supporting roles. But that they all were in the story becomes relevant to the perspectives of their characters, to their own stories. None of the X-men need to be the main character all the time, and at any given point most of them are actually supporting characters. It's really no different with Emma in this case.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just don't see her personality as being "watered down". She's just not the main character; not being the main character doesn't make her any less in-character, nor does it make her part in the story any less important to her character.

If you've read the Dark Phoenix Saga, you might notice that Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Angel, Beast, Kitty -most of the X-men in that story- are actually of very little relevance to the story itself; essentially, most of the X-men in that story are in supporting roles. But that they all were in the story becomes relevant to the perspectives of their characters, to their own stories. None of the X-men need to be the main character all the time, and at any given point most of them are actually supporting characters. It's really no different with Emma in this case.

Ok, what relevance does she bring to the story? (besides cash lol)

You know, it's kinda funny you're bringing DPS as an example, a story that was much more plot-driven (by several characters) than UXM most likely, will ever be. Even overlooking its around 10 issues continuance, I could bring a similar juxtaposition to other mini-events or short runs that have brought much more justice to the characters the writers were using at those times, so I still find it hard to comprehend the misusing of Emma Frost when she is one of like six only main characters of 20+ issues run? What can I say, we're looking for the different developments I guess.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

Ok, what relevance does she bring to the story? (besides cash lol)

You know, it's kinda funny you're bringing DPS as an example, a story that was much more plot-driven (by several characters) than UXM most likely, will ever be. Even overlooking its around 10 issues continuance, I could bring a similar juxtaposition to other mini-events or short runs that have brought much more justice to the characters the writers were using at those times, so I still find it hard to comprehend the misusing of Emma Frost when she is one of like six only main characters of 20+ issues run? What can I say, we're looking for the different developments I guess.

I dunno, mang. If you've read the whole series and you don't see how Emma's role is relevant, I don't know what to tell you. Personally, despite being in a mainly supporting role, I can't imagine what the book would have been like without her.

Maybe you're right that her role is so small that it wouldn't have made much difference if she were in the book or not, but I still don't see how that would have been better for her character or the story.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By adamTRMM

@oldnightcrawler said:

I dunno, mang. If you've read the whole series and you don't see how Emma's role is relevant, I don't know what to tell you. Personally, despite being in a mainly supporting role, I can't imagine what the book would have been like without her.

Maybe you're right that her role is so small that it wouldn't have made much difference if she were in the book or not, but I still don't see how that would have been better for her character or the story.

Like I said, the state Gillen left her at, she wasn't really pleased with how Scott, and maybe even the whole relationship with him, or the whole time with the X-men, (depends on the angle you're looking at it) affected her in general, so seeing her now accepting the second role feels really OOC in a team with the same man who caused it to begin with. That's why I like Gillen, he would never allow her being taken by others for granted, with that poor condition she is in right now, and I'm not the only one who sees it this way. Even if everything is complicated for her, why aren't we seeing her struggling through it? I guess that's because she is irrelevant for the story? Is that an excuse? I don't know mang, I find it hard to accept.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.