Who has always been the most important X-Men characters of all

• 76 results
#1 Posted by time (5048 posts) - - Show Bio

Who has always been the most important X-Men characters of all time. So I'm asking, who is the most important X-Men characters of them all. I listed mine first and then I explain later.

1 Charles Xavier

2 Cyclops

3 Jean Grey

4 Wolverine

5 Magneto

6 Cable

7 Hope

8 Rachel Grey

9 Mr Sinister

10 Colossus

What do guys think, Who has always been the most important X-Men characters. Who has been the most useful X-Men characters. Who done more for the X-Men than anyone?

#2 Posted by GLforHIRE (453 posts) - - Show Bio

no night crawler?

#3 Posted by cattlebattle (12820 posts) - - Show Bio

6-9 the most important characters???

Only in your opinion...Nightcrawler Beast and Rogue should definitely be on the list, Shadowcat too

#4 Posted by time (5048 posts) - - Show Bio

@GLforHIRE said:

no night crawler?

Not really, apart from saving Hope in second Coming. I can't think of many things he done, that has a great impact on x-men comics. Don't get me wrong I do like him and I think he is useful X-Men character, but he wouldn't be in my top 10.

#5 Posted by cattlebattle (12820 posts) - - Show Bio
@time said:

@GLforHIRE said:

no night crawler?

Not really, apart from saving Hope in second Coming. I can't think of many things he done, that has a great impact on x-men comics. Don't get me wrong I do like him and I think he is useful X-Men character, but he wouldn't be in my top 10.

He was an integral part of the X-Men for years....the years the franchise exploded and became the most popular book on the comic market...unless of course...you just started reading X-Men 5 years ago.
#6 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

In alphabetical order: Cyclops, Rogue, Storm, Wolverine.

#7 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops, Wolverine,Jean Grey,Storm , Kitty Pride, NightCrawler,Colossus,Iceman ,Beast ,Psylocke, Angel, Proffesor X, Rogue does not belong on the list at all!

#8 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone remove Hope's whiny a$$ from that list, please.

#9 Posted by papad1992 (6831 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

Someone remove Hope's whiny a$$ from that list, please.

Hahaha!!

#10 Edited by papad1992 (6831 posts) - - Show Bio

@time said:

Who has always been the most important X-Men characters of all time. So I'm asking, who is the most important X-Men characters of them all. I listed mine first and then I explain later.

1 Charles Xavier

2 Cyclops

3 Jean Grey

4 Wolverine

5 Magneto

6 Cable

7 Hope

8 Rachel Grey

9 Mr Sinister

10 Colossus

What do guys think, Who has always been the most important X-Men characters. Who has been the most useful X-Men characters. Who done more for the X-Men than anyone?

And seriously... Cable, Hope, Rachel Grey, and Mr. Sinister (he's not even an X-Man u twit)!? What about the first 5? Angel, Iceman, and Beast shouldn't make the list!? Beast and Angel more than Iceman but still they deserve to be on the list than some of whom you've mentioned! Plus Hope should be nowhere near any list describing the "Best"! And why explain later? Explain now!!

#11 Edited by jhazzroucher (15871 posts) - - Show Bio

If you're talking about the most important, I believe most of you would agree with my list, not in chronological order.

1. Wolverine

2. Storm

3. Professor X

4. Magneto

5. Cyclops

6. Jean Grey

7. Rogue

My #8-#10 characters, there are actually a lot of them:

Archangel, Psylocke, Gambit, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Iceman, Sentinels, Shadowcat, Deadpool, Juggernaut,

I finally came up with:

8. Colossus

9. Iceman

10. Archangel

To defend Colossus, Colossus has more number of appearances in comics than Nightcrawler and even to the original x-men members: Archangel and Iceman. Which means, Colossus has been more consistent in appearing in x-men comics since his first appearance.

I kinda didn't include Beast because he hasn't been showing to the x-men comics consistently and he is siding with the Avengers in AvX.

#12 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

The entire cast from TAS. These are the characters that made the X-Men into a powerhouse.

#13 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@X35 said:

I agree 100% here they can screw their character all to hell but they will always linger around.

#14 Edited by time (5048 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992 said:

@time said:

1 Charles Xavier

2 Cyclops

3 Jean Grey

4 Wolverine

5 Magneto

6 Cable

7 Hope

8 Rachel Grey

9 Mr Sinister

10 Colossus

And seriously... Cable, Hope, Rachel Grey, and Mr. Sinister (he's not even an X-Man u twit)!? What about the first 5? Angel, Iceman, and Beast shouldn't make the list!? Beast and Angel more than Iceman but still they deserve to be on the list than some of whom you've mentioned! Plus Hope should be nowhere near any list describing the "Best"! And why explain later? Explain now!!

Why Rachel Grey

Because she was know as Mother Askani as well. She travel back in time to save Cable and help raise him in the future. She also brought Cyclops and Jean Grey to the future. You may know them as ''Slym and Redd''. Slym and Redd raise Cable twelve years in an harsh future ruled by Apocalypse. Cable is the fighter today, because Rachel Grey play a part in his up bringing.

Why Cable

Because he saved Hope and kept her alive. She is the fighter today, because of him.

He also sacrifice his life by telling Cyclops to blow him & Stryfe up. He save his parents, save his friends and save the world. ( X-Cuitoner Song story arc)

Cable was also the leader of the New Mutants, who later on became the X-Force. Cable mold them into a strike team, he taught the X-Force how to be good soldiers. Cannonball, Warpath, Shatterstar, Sunspot, Siryn and Boom Boom are the strong fighters today, because he play a part in training them. Cannonball is leader, because Cable train him.

Why Mr Sinister

He created Madelyne. She is a clone of Jean Grey. Madelyne Pryor and Cyclops had a child, which is Cable. Cable exist, because Mrs Sinister play part in it.

Why Hope

She first mutant born since M-day. She most important character to the mutant race currently, whether she saviour of the mutant race or destroyer of the mutant race. Time will tell.

She has given Cyclops, the X-Men & the mutant race hope

She also the reason why the X-Men and the Avengers are fighting.

While I think every X-Men has had a important part to play in the X-Men world, I think the characters I have listed have had major impacts on the X-Men world.

What has Iceman, Angel & Beast done that is so important?

I have review some of your comments on some of my threads in the past. I find you to be very rude. Why is that? I think you should talk to people with a bit more respect.

#15 Posted by Roddy010 (5257 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Jean Grey- She's the whole reason the school was even started...
  2. Cyclops
  3. Wolverine
  4. Storm
  5. Professor Xavier

That's my five...

#16 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

Magneto was the enemy, so he doesn't fit the mold,Colossus sacraficed his life to stop the legacy virus from killing all mutants, Rogue was in a 90's carton by fox network, and the Xmen movies by Fox as a crybaby , what exactly has she really done, she wasn't around in the comics during the Phoenix saga, what exactly has she done beside leach off Ms.Marvel's power to give herself a name ? She doesn't belong on the list! You're 8- 10 deserves to be there before Rogue with the exception of the Juggernaut and sentinels.

#17 Posted by GLforHIRE (453 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: not to mention him and colossus made that arcade game worth playing..

#18 Posted by jhazzroucher (15871 posts) - - Show Bio

@time said:

@papad1992 said:

@time said:

1 Charles Xavier

2 Cyclops

3 Jean Grey

4 Wolverine

5 Magneto

6 Cable

7 Hope

8 Rachel Grey

9 Mr Sinister

10 Colossus

Why Rachel Grey

Because she was know as Mother Askani as well. She travel back in time to save Cable and help raise him in the future. She also brought Cyclops and Jean Grey to the future. You may know them as ''Slym and Redd''. Slym and Redd raise Cable twelve years in an harsh future ruled by Apocalypse. Cable is the fighter today, because Rachel Grey play a part in his up bringing.

Why Cable

Because he saved Hope and kept her alive. She is the fighter today, because of him.

He also sacrifice his life by telling Cyclops to blow him & Stryfe up. He save his parents, save his friends and save the world. ( X-Cuitoner Song story arc)

Cable was also the leader of the New Mutants, who later on became the X-Force. Cable mold them into a strike team, he taught the X-Force how to be good soldiers. Cannonball, Warpath, Shatterstar, Sunspot, Siryn and Boom Boom are the strong fighters today, because he play a part in training them. Cannonball is leader, because Cable train him.

Why Mr Sinister

He created Madelyne. She is a clone of Jean Grey. Madelyne Pryor and Cyclops had a child, which is Cable. Cable exist, because Mrs Sinister play part in it.

Why Hope

She first mutant born since M-day. She most important character to the mutant race currently, whether she saviour of the mutant race or destroyer of the mutant race. Time will tell.

While I think every X-Men has had a important part to play in the X-Men world, I think the characters I have listed have had major impacts on the X-Men world.

I have review some of your comments on some of my threads in the past. I find you to be very rude. Why is that? I think you should talk to people with a bit more respect.

so you have a different basis. I have questions:

1. What did Rachel Grey exactly do? did she save the world just like Jean?

2. Hope may be the so-called "Savior of the mutant race" but has she actually done something to live up with her other name: Savior?

3. What did Wolverine do?

4. Why do you give the credit to Mr Sinister and not Madelyne? But for me, the two of them should not be credited but Hope only.

anyway, i think papad is a nice person.

X-men fans are awesome! : )

#19 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

1) Colossus: He sacrificed his life during the Legacy Virus arc to save all of mutant kind; has appeared in as many X-titles as Nightcrawler, Jean Grey, Wolverine
2) Nightcrawler: Sacrificed his life to save Hope, the mutant messiah; has also appeared in many X-titles as Wolverine, Colossus
3) Jean Grey: Any story that deals with the Phoenix Force automatically links back to Jean Grey; was one of the original X-Men along with Iceman, Cyclops, Angel and Beast
4) Cyclops: Is the unofficial leader of the X-Men and was one of the original X-Men
5) Wolverine: is the most popular character in the X-Men Universe and has saved the X-Men from various situations
6) Professor Xavier: was the one who created the X-Men team and taught the X-Men to fight for mutant and human equality

#20 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

1) Colossus: He sacrificed his life during the Legacy Virus arc to save all of mutant kind; has appeared in as many X-titles as Nightcrawler, Jean Grey, Wolverine
2) Nightcrawler: Sacrificed his life to save Hope, the mutant messiah; has also appeared in many X-titles as Wolverine, Colossus
3) Jean Grey: Any story that deals with the Phoenix Force automatically links back to Jean Grey; was one of the original X-Men along with Iceman, Cyclops, Angel and Beast
4) Cyclops: Is the unofficial leader of the X-Men and was one of the original X-Men
5) Wolverine: is the most popular character in the X-Men Universe and has saved the X-Men from various situations
6) Professor Xavier: was the one who created the X-Men team and taught the X-Men to fight for mutant and human equality

How is Cyclops on any level an unofficial leader?

#21 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll say jean grey is the most important member of the x-men.

#22 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

Based on the wording of the question the answer can only be Prof. X, Cyclops, (Arch)Angel, Ice Man, Beast, Jean Grey, and I suppose Magneto. Wolverine, Gambit, Bishop, whoever else you want to say is important didn't come until many years later and therefore have not always been the most important X-Men characters. Even the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants didn't appear until the second or third issue and therefore were not always the most important characters.

#23 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74 said:

Magneto was the enemy, so he doesn't fit the mold,Colossus sacraficed his life to stop the legacy virus from killing all mutants, Rogue was in a 90's carton by fox network, and the Xmen movies by Fox as a crybaby , what exactly has she really done, she wasn't around in the comics during the Phoenix saga, what exactly has she done beside leach off Ms.Marvel's power to give herself a name ? She doesn't belong on the list! You're 8- 10 deserves to be there before Rogue with the exception of the Juggernaut and sentinels.

Ughhhhh.

#24 Posted by jhazzroucher (15871 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't Storm saved the x-men from becoming broods? If Storm didn't tell MsMarvel/Binary how to purge the process, the x-men could have turned into broods.

Storm also saved the world when the solar flare was gonna burn the whole earth

#25 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1527 posts) - - Show Bio

Magneto, without him the x-men would more than likely not be dealing with the hate and discontent they do. he was also the father of the one who damn near ended the mutant race.

He gives the x-men a reason to be. imagine how not cool the x-men would be if Magneto wasn't their villain?

#26 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3582 posts) - - Show Bio

Storywise: Magneto, Jean Grey and Charles Xavier. The stories that end up setting the stage for decades of X-Men events tend to relate to these characters in many ways. The meta plot pretty much always plays on their themes. Magneto personifies differences of opinion in the mutant community, Jean Grey personifies ultimate potential and the struggle to stay 'human' despite having superhuman powers (plus her time as Phoenix still generates most of the stories and drives the creation of characters like Rachel, Nathan and Cable) and Charles Xavier set forth the idea of the school and the X-Men's ultimate mission. All other X-Men tend to fall into shades of one or more of these characters, even if they don't overtly pick sides. For example, Emma Frost is similar to Charles Xavier, because she was inspired to create her own school promoting her position in The Hellfire Club. Different character motivations, but same 'stamp' storywise.

#27 Posted by TheFlash11 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

i cant belive none of you said mystique shame on you guys

#28 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3582 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheFlash11 said:

i cant belive none of you said mystique shame on you guys

Curious. How is she an important X-Men character?

#29 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Cyclops
  2. Kitty Pryde
  3. Wolverine
  4. Emma Frost
  5. Nightcrawler
  6. Rogue
  7. Colossus
  8. Storm
  9. Beast
  10. Professor X
#30 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

@htb106 said:

I'll say jean grey is the most important member of the x-men.

Not anymore.

It's all about.....

Cyclops.

#31 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

charles

cyclops

wolverine

magneto

phoneix force itself

#32 Posted by XsPectre28 (726 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

@time said:

@papad1992 said:

@time said:

1 Charles Xavier

2 Cyclops

3 Jean Grey

4 Wolverine

5 Magneto

6 Cable

7 Hope

8 Rachel Grey

9 Mr Sinister

10 Colossus

Why Rachel Grey

Why Cable

Why Mr Sinister

Why Hope

so you have a different basis. I have questions:

1. What did Rachel Grey exactly do? did she save the world just like Jean?

2. Hope may be the so-called "Savior of the mutant race" but has she actually done something to live up with her other name: Savior?

3. What did Wolverine do?

4. Why do you give the credit to Mr Sinister and not Madelyne? But for me, the two of them should not be credited but Hope only.

anyway, i think papad is a nice person.

X-men fans are awesome! : )

Rachel came from a differnt timeline and was destined to be part of excalibur, exchanged places in the timeline with captain Britain which led her to the Askani inwhich she brought/saved cable & helped train him to defeat apocalypse

Hope~ has done nothing Note worthy of being the Savior besides BEING BORN & DEFEATED BASTION

Wolverine~ wut hasnt wolverine done over all these year.... do u ppl even follow up.

Sinister~ Gets MADD credit..... Madelyne, Cable, Marauders, X-man(AOA Version of Sinister), Messiah Complex( I Mean Really Some Of These things just happened)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Xavier~ Founder

Cyclops~ Leader- no one other then wolverine stood up to that point

Jean Grey~ Phoenix

All Of Jean & Cyclops' kids~ Cable( Regardless if maddie is birth mother he still jean's son), Rachel, X-man: Askani, AOA, The Twelve, Onslaught, Excalibur- some of the plots that made them stand out

Storm~ Second Leader

Rogue~ many plot points- mystique, joesph, magneto

Magneto~ Enemy to teacher to enemy again, Onslaught, AOA, to finally X-man

I could go on.

JUST BECAUSE THE IMPACT ISNT ON PHOENIX OR APOCALYPSE LEVEL DOESNT MEAN THAT MAKES THEM ANY LESS IMPORTANT.... BACK TRACK TO X-MEN 1 TIL NOW & EVERY X-MAN( NOT X-FORCE, NOT X-FACTOR, NOT EXCALIBUR) HAS MADE ONE KEY POINT TO BECOME NOTE WORTHY IN X-HISTORY

#33 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

Sinister being on the list is a valid point. He's arguably, besides classic Magneto, Dark Phoenix and Hellfire Club, the X-Men's greatest foe.

#34 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

1.) Professor Xavier- he started the whole thing

2.) Cyclops- he's the quintessential X-man.

3.) Jean Grey- even as a memory she has a huge impact on the X-men

4.) Magneto - the reformed(sorta) villain desperate trying to save his people.

5.) Wolverine- because he has to be everywhere even if we don't like it.

Everyone else is interchangeable.

#35 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

Good list (although I'll always choose Emma over Jean).

#36 Edited by papad1992 (6831 posts) - - Show Bio

@time said:

@papad1992 said:

@time said:

1 Charles Xavier

2 Cyclops

3 Jean Grey

4 Wolverine

5 Magneto

6 Cable

7 Hope

8 Rachel Grey

9 Mr Sinister

10 Colossus

Why Rachel Grey

Why Cable

Why Mr Sinister

Why Hope

Listen... I'm not rude... I'm just so fed up with all of your inconsistent threads that you create only to make you feel like you know what you're talking about! You just gave me a mini bio of each of those characters major points in their lives instead of (for example) elaborating on each character you mentioned and persuading me how on how in their entire fictional biography they've managed to outdue the rest and have earned the right as one of the most important X-Man in the X-Men's history!... how is what you've said makes those mutants you've mentioned as the most important amongst the X-Men? I just don't understand your way of thinking! And I only respect intellectually driven people who provide backings to their statements and opinions! And what's with this "fighter" crap? Everytime you said "fighter" I felt like a theme song was ascending upon your post, like: Eye of the Tiger or something! How is Cable training another group of mutants (especially one that has had only like 12 members during his run) make him important to the X-Men's history!? And X-Men like Beast is a prime example of importance because (for one example) of his self-less passion in trying to reverse the effects of M-Day to restore all mutants to the way they were! Or how about Kitty Pryde when (for example) she was stuck in that giant magic bullet heading towards Earth and she decided to sacrifice herself to save the world! Now how can you compare that to training a few mutants! And I know plenty much about the X-Men, so you don't have to take you time and explain to me their bios... take time in trying to deliver a concrete argument to you statements! And on your other posts you've done the same thing! But I've been waiting for you to reply to me so we can discuss your redundant postings!! Don't take this to heart but prepare on what you want to say in you threads that tend to be more argumentative rather than just creating a new thread and not getting clear across what you want to say.

#37 Posted by TAneT62 (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

gotta have kitty pryde

#38 Posted by Malhavok (266 posts) - - Show Bio

Heart and soul would of the X-Men has to be Professor X.

#39 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

well said

#40 Posted by UNIQUE69 (200 posts) - - Show Bio

@X35 said:

Agreed

#41 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10547 posts) - - Show Bio

Professor X

Jean Grey

Cyclops

Storm

Wolverine

#42 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1008 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Cyclops-If you look at the story of the X--Men from afar, it's basically the story of Cyclops

2.Storm-Was a very important leader and character for a long time.

3.Jean Grey

4. Prof X

5. Wolverine

6.Cable

7.Rogue

8.Kitty Pryde

9.Colossus

#43 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3939 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

6-9 the most important characters??? Only in your opinion...Nightcrawler Beast and Rogue should definitely be on the list, Shadowcat too

I like the way you think. Agreed.

#44 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3939 posts) - - Show Bio

@X35 said:

@evilvegeta74 said:

Ughhhhh.

I could cry at how bad that explanation is. Also, how mis-informed.

#45 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops Jean Grey Iceman Beast Angel Wolverine Nightcrawler Shadowcat Colossus Proffesor X Magneto

#46 Posted by xerogod (205 posts) - - Show Bio

no storm? wow! very surprised!

#47 Posted by XsPectre28 (726 posts) - - Show Bio

all of the x-men are important, they all pretty much made a n impact that changed the path & destiny of the X-men but the most important is Professor X, everything comes back to him..... (616 vs. AOA, Onslaught, School, Every X-man, Shi'ar, ...)

#48 Posted by Roddy010 (5257 posts) - - Show Bio

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

Storywise: Magneto, Jean Grey and Charles Xavier. The stories that end up setting the stage for decades of X-Men events tend to relate to these characters in many ways. The meta plot pretty much always plays on their themes. Magneto personifies differences of opinion in the mutant community, Jean Grey personifies ultimate potential and the struggle to stay 'human' despite having superhuman powers (plus her time as Phoenix still generates most of the stories and drives the creation of characters like Rachel, Nathan and Cable) and Charles Xavier set forth the idea of the school and the X-Men's ultimate mission. All other X-Men tend to fall into shades of one or more of these characters, even if they don't overtly pick sides. For example, Emma Frost is similar to Charles Xavier, because she was inspired to create her own school promoting her position in The Hellfire Club. Different character motivations, but same 'stamp' storywise.

Well said...This is the best answer given in this entire thread...I like how you analyzed and described what each character represents and contributes to the stories...Very awesome post...

#49 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

No particular order

X

Cyke

Storm

Jean

Wolvie

Cat

Rogue

Beast (YEAH I SED IT)

Night Crawler

Magnus - Best villain of all time

Those are my ten

#50 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9094 posts) - - Show Bio

Charles Xavier because there wouldn't be a X-men team without him

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.