Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Who else did not like First Class?*Spoilers*(is that necessary?)

pepperr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pepperr

I'm sincerely asking because I finally got to watch it today with a friend. I sat during it and to be honest wasn't that impressed. There were cool moments and a few good laughs & chuckles but overall, I don't feel it was as good as the reviews made it to be. Some background: I thought the movie was going to be **** because of the costumes and characters they chose to use. Angel turns out to be like the Wasp(Why not just call her Wasp?). I think Mag's costume was easily the worst of the bunch. I mean, my goodness.

The acting I think was good/great. The action scenes were nice too, though I think the powers were wack. Frost looked stupid in her angular diamond form.  Havok's powers were odd and I think Beast looked worse than the X3 counterpart. Who on earth was creating those tornadoes?

I really feel that the film was good critically(Like Citizen Kane, but I wouldn't watch that again unless you paid me $100). Other than that, I didn't connect with it at all. I like Jennifer Lawrence and James McAvoy the most. How he became paralyzed was cool I guess.

While I don't have suggestions as to how they could have improved it, I stand by my opinions. Anyone else feel the same way or other reasons why they didn't like the film?
     Granted, I think I need to watch it again because I really wanted the movie to be over about halfway in because I wanted to talk to her.

*Just found out that wasn't Warren.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cattlebattle

Yes, Angel was Angel Salvatore, an actual existing character ( a lot of people find that confusing)

I thought the movie was not only probably one of the better comic films made, but a good X-Film to make up for past disasters

The guy creating the tornadoes was Riptide, who I'll admit was sort of pointless

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Amegashita

It brought up more questions than it answered.  One, what happened between X-men first class to X-men 1?  Where the crap was Cyclops?  Why does a guy who's powers work psionically to an extent that he can stop and control metal, why does a person like that need to deflect bullets when stopping them is a much better alternative?  Mostly, some characters didn't fit their comic book counterparts.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Nighthunter

I loved X-men first class

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Amegashita said:

It brought up more questions than it answered.  One, what happened between X-men first class to X-men 1?  Where the crap was Cyclops?  Why does a guy who's powers work psionically to an extent that he can stop and control metal, why does a person like that need to deflect bullets when stopping them is a much better alternative?  Mostly, some characters didn't fit their comic book counterparts.

1 a lot of time happens between those 2 films there were probably be sequels
    2  Obviously not even born yet
    3. Magneto had questionable control over his abilities

a better question is why everything Professor X told Wolverine in X-Men 1 was BS

He claimed Magneto helped him build Cerebro....Lies...Beast built it

Scott Jean and Storm were some of his first students...Lie

The children affectionatly named them X-Men...Lies...Moira said it first
    Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Amegashita
    @cattlebattle
      2.)  Wasn't he in Wolverine Origins?  The guy who blasted half the school in half with a beam from his eyes definitely had to be Cyclops. 

3.)  At one point Magneto even said to Xavier that he could stop the bullet when X had the gun pointed to his forehead. 

The movie just contradicted much of it's pre-written history.  In a way, it's a symbol for how loose comic book continuity truly is.
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By Nighthunter

Its like Star Wars. Its better to not think how much the prequels don't fit with the original trilogy.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By Deranged Midget

First Class was great. McAvoy and Fassbender were the best parts of the movie. Thought some of the mutants were odd choices.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Amegashita said:

@cattlebattle  2.)  Wasn't he in Wolverine Origins?  The guy who blasted half the school in half with a beam from his eyes definitely had to be Cyclops. 

3.)  At one point Magneto even said to Xavier that he could stop the bullet when X had the gun pointed to his forehead. 

The movie just contradicted much of it's pre-written history.  In a way, it's a symbol for how loose comic book continuity truly is.

I think (not fact) they just ignored the X-Men Origins continuity crap fest, Perhaps in the heat of the moment with Mags not expecting to be shot deflecting the bullets was all he could do.
    @Nighthunter said:

Its like Star Wars. Its better to not think how much the prequels don't fit with the original trilogy.

LOL...so true, my friends and I came to that same conclusion
    pepperr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pepperr

Would you care to explain why you loved it? You didn't say much.

I'm not too concerned about the continuity but I felt it was lacking as a whole in terms of connecting with the audience(i.e. me). Havok's power looked incredibly lame on screen. I'll find it online and watch it again before I make a long post.

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By CellphoneGirl
    @Nighthunter said:
    I loved X-men first class
    Same here.
    Avatar image for do_i_have_to_give_a_name_
    Do I have to give a name?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seemed to me that the entire premise of the movie was: Let's show them how everyone got their names. Then every time we make a reference to future events we can wink at the audience and the bloody fools will lap it up!    

Some of the action scenes were nice and Magneto's story was well handled. Also there was some good acting. But overall I think the film sucked. I'd of been much happier watching the dedicated Magneto movie they were originally going to make.

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By zombietag

wasnt excited about it. it was a cool movie, but i had hopes of it being like one of the best marvel movies to come out in a while. beast lookd dumb, what was the point of riptide and darwin? kinda wish it was more like the classic comics. not because i care if they change the comics, just cuz i think it would have been a better story. 

i did like how it was in the 60s and i liked magneto and charles relationship. but overall, it was just an okay. nothing amazing to me.

ZacCooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ZacCooper

@Amegashita

@Amegashita said:
    @cattlebattle  2.)  Wasn't he in Wolverine Origins?  The guy who blasted half the school in half with a beam from his eyes definitely had to be Cyclops. 

Cyclops could still not be born. First Class happened before Wolverine Origins.
    Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Thunderscream

I didn't care that they didn't follow comic continuity.

I didn't care that the character choices were odd....initially.

I do care that the whole thing was choppy and rushed and that a good portion of the acting was dreadful.
    Bacon, McAvoy & Fassbender were wonderful, I enjoyed Banshee and honestly didn't have a problem with January Jones' performance (many may disagree).....Mystique was so terribly miscast though, and I loved that actress in Winter's Bone, but this so totally wasn't her role in my opinion.

I thought the inclusion of Raven's DNA as a catalyst for Hank's serum was interesting....but once he turned into Beast, he looked ridiculous!

Darwin might as well have been invisible...he kept touching Havok's stomach and giving him these weird glances, I guess they bonded off panel somewhere and then after all of 3 lines Kevin Bacon sticks a shiny skittle bomb in his mouth and........I feel absolutely nothing when he dies because there was no character development. 

Riptide & Azazel were...backdrops, fine, whatever. Angel was cute and the wings resting as tats and peeling away to fly was nifty....still hated the spitfire ball accompanied by the hiss sound. dumb. really dumb.

The set designs were spectacular, all the locations and were interesting. Magneto getting revenge on Shaw was a strong theme through the movie and that scene with the coin was pretty epic.

I give it a 3 out of 5....I think maybe I got my expectations too high after hearing the good reviews. i know, shame on me.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EnSabahNurX

I just loved mystique(her character development and her occasional acting they allowed), Xavier(great choice aside from Patrick), magneto was surprisingly great wish they did more with his final costume

Angel was cool, she was less gross than in the comics and wish she remained an x-man,  
    darwin was useless(they gave him a lot of control over his powers) 
    Harpoon(twister guy), was cool as a henchman
     Emma, um bad actress but the diamond form is slowly getting closer considering the origins version 
    Banshee, he was good power wise but they just needed to commit and make him irish he had the coloring for it, he could have faked a small accent  
    Beast, I liked him overall, but they did make him too secondary mutation and the actor had a tough time expressing himself in that latex(needed to be broken into more pieces and made thinner  
    Azazel was cool for his purpose and for fights 
    Moira, um yea random but cool then just turned to a background character who wasn't necessary  
    Havok, yea just annoying but dye his hair and he would have been a good young cyclops 

I wish it wasn't in continuity though so they could just go in another direction and ignore that continuity which I agree is annoying they did mess up a lot.  

Actually wish the movie just had Xavier, magneto, and mystique(as she was in this movie), I wanted more mags and xavier being friends(wish it was more them friends for years than two months) 

Overall I liked the movie and I'm surprised because I was expecting to hate it, I give it a 3.5-4/5, it beat x3, x1 but ties with x2 for me

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Shadow_Thief

Frost's diamond form looked a bit off because Fox Studios has (in my opinion) one of the crappiest CGI departments this side of Asylum productions. Take a close look at Wolverine's claws in Origins for another example, specifically the scene where he's checking them out in the bathroom of the farmhouse.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

I'd give it a 3.5/5. Solid but not graet film, but a poor adaptation of the X-Men's history. You NEED Cyclops there. He's Xavier son, and his first student, and the most easily identifiable outcast mutant. He's not outwardly mutated, but he could still never exist in human society. 

Additionally, painting the Cold War as being a crisis manipulated by Shaw was a bit insulting to the brave people who endured it and managed to avoid Nuclear War.

Anyway, aside from that, the movie was kind of Xenophobic. The unkillable African American was killed, FIRST. Only characters who weren't white were evil. All European characters were Americanized, save Xavier, who still grew up in America. Emma didn't speak with a British accent. Neither Moira or Banshee were Scottish. 

Still the best X-Film though.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Kallarkz
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:

I'd give it a 3.5/5. Solid but not graet film, but a poor adaptation of the X-Men's history. You NEED Cyclops there. He's Xavier son, and his first student, and the most easily identifiable outcast mutant. He's not outwardly mutated, but he could still never exist in human society.    Additionally, painting the Cold War as being a crisis manipulated by Shaw was a bit insulting to the brave people who endured it and managed to avoid Nuclear War. Anyway, aside from that, the movie was kind of Xenophobic. The unkillable African American was killed, FIRST. Only characters who weren't white were evil. All European characters were Americanized, save Xavier, who still grew up in America. Emma didn't speak with a British accent. Neither Moira or Banshee were Scottish.   Still the best X-Film though.

Totally agree. 
    The underlined made me laugh so hard. When that happened I turned to my fiance and just face palmed. Did he really need to be the first? And him?! 

I agree that it was the best X-film to date. I really enjoyed it and even my fiance who has the bladder of an 80 year old held it in throughout over half the film because there were almost no "boring parts". 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b749253880e5
    deactivated-5b749253880e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 2

I actually didn't care for this movie. X-Men, to me, is the greatest thing in the world, and this movie does anything but explore the origins of the X-Men, this really is X-Men Origins; Magneto. He's a good and important character in the mythos, but, I wanted to see a movie about the children of the Atom, and Xavier here is kind of a one-dimensional Fonzie that has even less development than the secondary character Mystique. Also, the theme of mutant racism falls way back, as the X-Men become this government ops team kind of like X-Factor in benefit of this cold war subplot with a Magneto-ed (psychologically) Sebastian Shaw (that, although dead, actually appears in X2, not to mention the other continuity atrocities). It does pick up at the end, but, too little, too late, if you ask me.
    Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The man throwing whirlwinds was the movie version of Riptide. They tweaked his powers to be whirlwind generation and changed his hair color. 

pepperr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pepperr
    @Thunderscream said:
      Darwin might as well have been invisible...he kept touching Havok's stomach and giving him these weird glances, I guess they bonded off panel somewhere and then after all of 3 lines Kevin Bacon sticks a shiny skittle bomb in his mouth and........I feel absolutely nothing when he dies because there was no character development.   Riptide & Azazel were...backdrops, fine, whatever. Angel was cute and the wings resting as tats and peeling away to fly was nifty....still hated the spitfire ball accompanied by the hiss sound. dumb. really dumb.  The set designs were spectacular, all the locations and were interesting. Magneto getting revenge on Shaw was a strong theme through the movie and that scene with the coin was pretty epic. 

I will agree with this whole block of text, except the fact that I thought the actress who played Angel was far from attractive. I liked the recurring revenge theme. Darwin's death didn't move me at all, and I'm talking as a guy who cried twice in Kung Fu Panda 2.
    pepperr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pepperr

Okie doke. I saw it again yesterday on my laptop. I honestly think it in no way can compete with Spider-Man 2. I love that movie and it blows FC out of the water. Yes, FC had nice action scenes and nice transitions, but it wasn't nearly as good as my friend(film aficionado) and reviews made it out to be. Not enough character development for the actual X-men. Mainly Magnus as I think I stated before. Some quality acting. Some reason I liked Banshee a lot. Maybe cause I dont' know him much in Uncanny.

I like the core X-men much more. I wish Iceman was in this along with Angel and Storm(guess I mean core group after first Giant Size) Why pick such obscure characters? If they do another, it should be with Colossus and Gambit, to really showcase the extent of their powers.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By John Valentine

X-Men First Class is my favourite comic book movie (well, on par with Dark Knight).

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @pepperr

agreed- especially about the no character development. At one point, it was like "do I care about these people? Is there anything tethering me to them other than the fact that they are the 'good guys'?"

I really think it ranks somewhere between X-Men: Last Stand (which was more a slightly more enjoyable ride overall IMO) and Spiderman 3 (at least Magneto doesn't have a dance number or cry in this movie, like someone who's name rhymes with Beter Barker)

@John Valentine: really? Hmm, well, to each his own. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. 

Avatar image for the_umbra_sorcerer
    The Umbra Sorcerer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@John Valentine said:
    X-Men First Class is my favourite comic book movie (well, on par with Dark Knight).
    Co-signed  
    Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#27  Edited By Dracade102
    @The Umbra Sorcerer said:
    @John Valentine said:
    Co-signed  
    Aero_gt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Aero_gt

Never saw the movie, not gonna see the movie unless I'm paid or it somehow get's in my house on a dvd. The more I hear about it, the more it makes me wanna punch a guy in a wheel chair,  kick a jew in the nads, or do mean things for no reason to people less fortunate than me.
    Avatar image for fortressofthemoon
    FortressoftheMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FadetoBlackBolt

@Aero_gt

The only the black guy who is trying to making up for being in two Twilight movies get killed off first and this is not even a horror movie. That's false advertisement. If you gonna kill the bleck guy first, There better be freakin zombies or a spooky cabin in the woods. This movie derserves a damn facepalm just as the other X-Men movies.......and Spiderman 2.  

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.