Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Who could use a better costume?

• 63 results
    poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Which X-men do you think needs a better current costume-- OR has had a better costume in the past?

SHARE PICTURES!

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a no brainer-- ROGUE
    Nothing will top the 90s look. Her current costumes remind me too much of her original look + Anna Paquin's Rogue... Marvel needs to find a way to capture her sassy, tough, yet vulnerable look again-- I feel she's a completely different character now and isn't really relatable. THANK GOD FOR X-MEN 92! :D

No Caption Provided

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By goonage

*Cough*EmmaFrost*Cough*

Also, while not exactly a costume, I hate Storm's mohawk.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Lol I feel like very soon there's going to need to be a big debate on this forum between the people who want 90's Rogue and the ones who like the more recent rendition....I'm just to lazy to make the thread.

Anyway, I'm hoping for Magneto to get a new costume for his Uncanny team so that it complements the Extra-Men's new appearances. And if Psylocke is going back to the leotard then she's gonna top the list since. Otherwise I think the Cuckoo's are the only costumes that bug me nowadays...since its just the clothes they were wearing when they're mom picked them up from prep school.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

Lol I feel like very soon there's going to need to be a big debate on this forum between the people who want 90's Rogue and the ones who like the more recent rendition....I'm just to lazy to make the thread.

Well, making outlandish claims by stating anyone's definitive look is the one they had in the 90s is going to stir up some sh*t. :)

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Koays

@cattlebattle said:
    @koays said:

Well, making outlandish claims by stating anyone's definitive look is the one they had in the 90s is going to stir up some sh*t. :)

Lol Well clearly what the world needs today is more muscles, jackets, deep blues and yellows... None of this development and progression moving a character beyond archetypes and team roles. Yellows's. Blue's, and MUSCLES is where it's at!

In fact, everyone go read a Liefeld book and pray that he and Jim Lee look down upon us with pity.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

Lol Well clearly what the world needs today is more muscles, jackets, deep blues and yellows... None of this development and progression moving a character beyond archetypes and team roles. Yellows's. Blue's, and MUSCLES is where it's at!

In fact, everyone go read a Liefeld book and pray that he and Jim Lee look down upon us with pity.

Well the funny thing is that when it comes to a characters outfit, all they really often do is revisit old outfits. Rogues current look is just a rehash of her original outfit.

And yeah, you forgot the 90s propensity for big hair, mullets, murder and who can forget Xaviers biceps??? Sexy Xavier is where it's at!! Viva la 90s X-Men!! How can you not love it!!

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Colossus costume is just beyond awful.

BaBaBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

I like Rogue's 90s costume, but I also know it's dated as hell.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Koays
    @cattlebattle said:
    @koays said:

Well the funny thing is that when it comes to a characters outfit, all they really often do is revisit old outfits. Rogues current look is just a rehash of her original outfit.

And yeah, you forgot the 90s propensity for big hair, mullets, murder and who can forget Xaviers biceps??? Sexy Xavier is where it's at!! Viva la 90s X-Men!! How can you not love it!!

Well i'll say that I like the changes at least their new for her but also a call back to her older solid greens and green on black. To me seeing any of the rehash's of her 90's costume just make me think of the X-Men cartoon, while the 2 she alternates between nowadays make me think of stories about Rogue. I mean it's not a bad thing, but If she just drops

And now for a short Rogue outfit montage...

Lol dude biceps Xavier has nothing on the many faces of Cable.... Is he older then Scott, Younger then Scott, Xavier's age? 90% muscle and 10% pockets? The only thing the artist agree on is that Cable is a large man with a large gun....except when he's a large man with a large sphere. GOD I LOVE THE 90'S! Someone get me a Walkman and a boombox so i can put 12 copies of the 90's X-Men theme on it and play it till the disc breaks.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Storm. Still hating the current look.

No Caption Provided

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cattlebattle

@koays said:

Well i'll say that I like the changes at least their new for her but also a call back to her older solid greens and green on black. To me seeing any of the rehash's of her 90's costume just make me think of the X-Men cartoon, while the 2 she alternates between nowadays make me think of stories about Rogue. I mean it's not a bad thing, but If she just drops

Would you call that..... <.< >.> a Rogues gallery?? Stupid jokes aside I don't think I have ever cared for any of Rogues outfits. I also can't really think of any outfits from the 90s that I liked. And the fact that a lot of people associate the cartoon as the definitive look of the X-Men makes me think that the show is more of a blemish on the X-Mens history than anything else.

@koays said:

Lol dude biceps Xavier has nothing on the many faces of Cable.... Is he older then Scott, Younger then Scott, Xavier's age? 90% muscle and 10% pockets? The only thing the artist agree on is that Cable is a large man with a large gun....except when he's a large man with a large sphere. GOD I LOVE THE 90'S! Someone get me a Walkman and a boombox so i can put 12 copies of the 90's X-Men theme on it and play it till the disc breaks.

I would say a good 25% pouches actually, but, math was never my strong suit. To be fair with Cable, Liefeld never intended him to be related to Cyclops, so, he just always draws him as an older man regardless, because Liefeld doesn't play by anyone's rules! Now, I see your age hopping, gun toting, messy haired cyborg man and raise you sexy swimsuit (possibly eunuch) Bishop.....HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE THIS DECADE FOR X-MEN!?

No Caption Provided

BaBaBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: Jesus, those arms... Is Bishop part gorilla? I honestly don't love this era of X-men, probably because I got into X-men around 2011. :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@kfabz-23 said:

Colossus costume is just beyond awful.

No Caption Provided

Colossus is perfect in every single way.

While I like Magik's current costume(even though it's tacky), I think her New Mutants look was much more practical and tasteful.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93: Lool yikes if that's what you like then I can't say otherwise. But I geniuely believe he probably has the worst the costume out of all the Marvel heroes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23 said:

@sprior93: Lool yikes if that's what you like then I can't say otherwise. But I geniuely believe he probably has the worst the costume out of all the Marvel heroes.

Colossus is the greatest superhero ever created; he is perfection.

THAT BEING SAID

I wouldn't mind seeing one of his modern costumes again...

No Caption Provided

Impervious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@goonage said:

*Cough*EmmaFrost*Cough*

BS. I see nothing wrong with it ;)

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyclop's X-visor/gimp suit.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93: that's not too bad, too many colours though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23: ......there are only three colors: red, yellow and black.......STOP BEING CONTRARY

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

Would you call that..... <.< >.> a Rogues gallery?? Stupid jokes aside I don't think I have ever cared for any of Rogues outfits. I also can't really think of any outfits from the 90s that I liked. And the fact that a lot of people associate the cartoon as the definitive look of the X-Men makes me think that the show is more of a blemish on the X-Mens history than anything else.

LOL why yes...i would.

But yea, that's generally my opinion as well. I'd go even further and say that it's created a lot of the aversion within the X-Men fandom when it comes to interpretations of characters. I liked Evolution a little more then the animated, but their are people who flat out hate it because it's not like the 90's show...which i guess is ok if you wanna talk about source material. But then there are people who've sort of been forever imprinted (tainted?) with that image of the characters....which is great for Storm, Gambit and Wolverine who were great for the show but much better in the comics, but when you try to tell someone about the cool new X-Men story about Jubilee or Cyclops most people seem to immediately go to the annoying tag-a- long and boring leader guy impression. And for a character like Rogue, who went through a long development just to get to the "southern belle brawler" persona she's known for in the show, she's sort of condemned for moving past it in the comics despite it really just being a pit stop in her characterization.

Though maybe it's just because her character in the 90's books and the show lined up so well that people just latched on to it as something familiar....i mean you don't hear people saying "Storm should recite a monologue every time she uses her powers" because that wasn't something she did in the books.

I would say a good 25% pouches actually, but, math was never my strong suit. To be fair with Cable, Liefeld never intended him to be related to Cyclops, so, he just always draws him as an older man regardless, because Liefeld doesn't play by anyone's rules! Now, I see your age hopping, gun toting, messy haired cyborg man and raise you sexy swimsuit (possibly eunuch) Bishop.....HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE THIS DECADE FOR X-MEN!?

No Caption Provided

Lmfao....you think that muscle bound Bishop in a one piece is the best of the most glorious age in all of comics?

Feast your eyes on "Sexy Metal Leopard-Print Colossus"

Colossus' Classic 90's look.
    Colossus' Classic 90's look.

THE 90's WERE AWESOME 2 MAX!!!!!!

So much more simple when their were 2 types of X-books to read, the one about the gun toting mercenaries fighting fanatic cults in an outfit so tight you can see their veins popping on any part of their body not covered in pockets....

OR

The one about the X-Men chilling around in their swimsuits...which i'm 110% convinced was an ongoing at one point with how many i was able to find just by typing "X-Men swim" into google.

Tazirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

As long as Psylocke doesn't go back in that stupid thong, and Colossus doesn't go back in that original X outfit he had. I like the Necrosha suit.

Kavma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Kavma

Storm hate the mahog

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays

i dont like jean's new costume(from anxm) and in the xtraordinary x-men(it looks like from her x-factor days meets the mini skirt day(marvel girl))

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: I didn't really care for any of the All New X-Men's costumes...except maybe Beast since it fit him more. I don't get why everyone dislikes the new Extra-Men look. I mean I think a skirt would be silly considering the line of work, but its not the stupidest outfit for your lifestyle (I'm looking at you Emma "booty shorts in the winter" Frost) and it fits with the team

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Rogue. Not a big fan of the new gothic vibe she's been giving off with the current look. Wish she had something similar to the 90's animated show.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#29  Edited By Teerack

I would say kitty Pryde because it has been 50 years and they haven't given her a new cool suit of her own and just had her dress in the ugly default x-men suit all this time, but they are finally changing her outfit by making her Star-Lord giving her someone else's outfit because no one care be bothered to design a costume for her.

Both Emma and Magik's outfits really suck and should change to look more like something Emma and Magik would wear. I also want Namor to go back to being shirtless.

Next to the rest of the x-men colossus really needs an update since he looks like a time traveling circus clown.

Storm's suit is fine but her hair is the worst and needs to not be a mohawk.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BaBaBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

Storm's suit is fine but her hair is the worst and needs to not be a mohawk.

But... but, what about female empowerment?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#32  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@teerack: Star-Lady. She's a lady whoa whoa whoa she's a lady

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Star-Lady. She's a lady whoa whoa whoa she's a lady

Wow... I hadn't even considered the fact that lord was a male term. They could use this change to make it gender neutral calling her Star-Liege. :P

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By cattlebattle

@koays said:

But yea, that's generally my opinion as well. I'd go even further and say that it's created a lot of the aversion within the X-Men fandom when it comes to interpretations of characters. I liked Evolution a little more then the animated, but their are people who flat out hate it because it's not like the 90's show...which i guess is ok if you wanna talk about source material. But then there are people who've sort of been forever imprinted (tainted?) with that image of the characters....which is great for Storm, Gambit and Wolverine who were great for the show but much better in the comics, but when you try to tell someone about the cool new X-Men story about Jubilee or Cyclops most people seem to immediately go to the annoying tag-a- long and boring leader guy impression. And for a character like Rogue, who went through a long development just to get to the "southern belle brawler" persona she's known for in the show, she's sort of condemned for moving past it in the comics despite it really just being a pit stop in her characterization.

Though maybe it's just because her character in the 90's books and the show lined up so well that people just latched on to it as something familiar....i mean you don't hear people saying "Storm should recite a monologue every time she uses her powers" because that wasn't something she did in the books.

I agree with everything you say. I can give some credit to the cartoon because although I got into X-Men a little before it came out, it enhanced my interest in the franchise. I did stop watching after like 2 or 3 seasons though, mostly because I found different interests because I was getting older and I actually found some of it to be boring. Now, it's funny, I actually look back at the show and hate it. I find the animation ugly and dated, the stories are all watered down versions of the originals that miss great plot details of the stories or development of characters that originally was present in the comic, Cyclops is whiny, Wolverine sounds like he is doing a Jack Nicholson impression, Gambit talks in the third person and sounds like an idiot, Storm is just the worst.....

Rogues character was kind of damaged by that show in my opinion. Up until 1992, Claremont, her creator, was predominantly the only person to write her, and after she reformed, she was depicted how characters in DC, like Wonder Girl or Supergirl should have been written--she was a young girl (somewhere between 18 and 21) with incredible superman like powers she got from Ms. Marvel that made her reckless, overconfident and she would often over or underestimate her strength and invulnerability. In the 90s cartoon, she was like Dolly Parton with super powers. She was also kind of a manic depressant about her powers, Rogue of the 80s wasn't really like that, Rogue of the 80s was strong in more than just a literal sense.

@koays said:

Lmfao....you think that muscle bound Bishop in a one piece is the best of the most glorious age in all of comics?

Feast your eyes on "Sexy Metal Leopard-Print Colossus"

THE 90's WERE AWESOME 2 MAX!!!!!!

So much more simple when their were 2 types of X-books to read, the one about the gun toting mercenaries fighting fanatic cults in an outfit so tight you can see their veins popping on any part of their body not covered in pockets....

OR

The one about the X-Men chilling around in their swimsuits...which i'm 110% convinced was an ongoing at one point with how many i was able to find just by typing "X-Men swim" into google.

Stupid sexy Colossus.

Yeah, there was actually Marvel and X-Men Swimsuit Editions released in the 90s. Because Marvel exploited and whored the X-Men out like nobody's business in the 90s. I often wonder if Chris Claremont looked at this stuff whilst crying and vomiting into a bucket.

But alas, we focus too much of the amazing early 90s my friend. Let us not forget the mid and late 90s featuring all those epic CROSSOVERS!! You know, those crossovers that have like 2% story and 98% characters fighting and splash pages!! The long winded Age of Apocalypse crossover where Cyclops is missing an eye, Wolverine is missing a hand, and everyone is missing interesting qualities!!! THE GREATEST X-MEN STORY EVA!!! NIGTHCRAWLER IS COOL BECAUSE HE KILLS WITH DA SWORDS!! Let us also not forget Operation Zero Tolerance, a story where a lot happened, but at the same time, nothing happened.....and who can forget ONSLAUGHT!! A story that Marvel pretends never happened!! All these great tales brought to us by Joe Madureira, who draws massive bodies and tiny heads...seriously, what is the deal with this guys art?? 90s WERE THE GREATEST!!

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@hopesummersforthefuture: I didn't really care for any of the All New X-Men's costumes...except maybe Beast since it fit him more. I don't get why everyone dislikes the new Extra-Men look. I mean I think a skirt would be silly considering the line of work, but its not the stupidest outfit for your lifestyle (I'm looking at you Emma "booty shorts in the winter" Frost) and it fits with the team

i like magik's and storm's new look(all of them) in extra but not teen jean's

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: Lmao "Dolly Parton with superpowers" is hilariously accurate, but I literally was going to amend my comment to include the manic depressent evaluation when I opened this. The fact is that she was all "Sugah" "Honey" and funny brusier one liners up until the episode focused on her at which point she was always sitting alone on a roof or flying away because no one understood how hard it was for her. Its jarring how back and forth she was and yet you can see where it was influenced from in the comics of the early 90's era where she would need to be both the introvert looking for weakly formed connections with Collossus or Magneto and yet still be the teams "Leroy Jenkins" who gets taken down first. I feel like by the time Xtreme X-Men started even Claremont had loss some of the complexity of the character and just sort of adopted the Cartoon Version. I mean a depowered Rogue working as a mechanic seems more like a TAS thing then a pretty 92 Rogue thing...even given the stories in between.

I mean I get why the interpretation's stick with you more, I can't stand Gambit's thieves guild background or Omega Red as a character or villain because I probably disliked the episodes. But at the same time if I thought Wolverine was the creepy picture rubbing third wheel to Cyclops and Jean I'd have nothing positive to say about him. And its funny because Logan holding locks of a dead chicks hair, and the version of Rogue that is appearing in Uncanny Avengers seem to be based on those summed up and simplified versions of them that the writers may just be remembering fondly and trying to call back to.

I

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By cattlebattle

@koays said:

@cattlebattle: Lmao "Dolly Parton with superpowers" is hilariously accurate, but I literally was going to amend my comment to include the manic depressent evaluation when I opened this. The fact is that she was all "Sugah" "Honey" and funny brusier one liners up until the episode focused on her at which point she was always sitting alone on a roof or flying away because no one understood how hard it was for her. Its jarring how back and forth she was and yet you can see where it was influenced from in the comics of the early 90's era where she would need to be both the introvert looking for weakly formed connections with Collossus or Magneto and yet still be the teams "Leroy Jenkins" who gets taken down first. I feel like by the time Xtreme X-Men started even Claremont had loss some of the complexity of the character and just sort of adopted the Cartoon Version. I mean a depowered Rogue working as a mechanic seems more like a TAS thing then a pretty 92 Rogue thing...even given the stories in between.

I mean I get why the interpretation's stick with you more, I can't stand Gambit's thieves guild background or Omega Red as a character or villain because I probably disliked the episodes. But at the same time if I thought Wolverine was the creepy picture rubbing third wheel to Cyclops and Jean I'd have nothing positive to say about him. And its funny because Logan holding locks of a dead chicks hair, and the version of Rogue that is appearing in Uncanny Avengers seem to be based on those summed up and simplified versions of them that the writers may just be remembering fondly and trying to call back to.

I

Well, she did have moments where she would fall into bouts of melancholy in the comics prior to the cartoons. Part of the reason why the 80s comics are so famously revered is because the characters felt like real people because they went through emotions like actual people do....all the characters, Rogue included, would go through motions of hate, despair, etc.....in the cartoon however Rogues emotional state just felt like it was convenient to the plot, like if they introduced a character that felt cursed by his/her powers Rogue would be downtrodden conveniently for that episode. It's also worth noting that in the comics Rogues powers were more diverse, meaning she also used powers to save peoples lives (like absorbing Colossus's powers so he could revert to human so his wounds could be treated after the Brotherhood almost killed him) and her being able to let other minds she absorbed become dominant, it, to some extent, felt like a different character was featured in that show.

The cartoon damaged the perception a lot of characters in my opinion. Cyclops during the late 70s and early 80s was written to be a master tactician and leader and was actually interesting and a guy you routed for, the cartoon however presented the Louise Simonson version of the character from her X-Factor run who was kind of boring, whiny and just overall the lame "leader archetype", and that is something that unfortunately remained with the character until Joss Whedons run. There is misconceptions about what is standard for all sorts of characters because of that cartoon.

Misterkyle91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

I

Well, she did have moments where she would fall into bouts of melancholy in the comics prior to the cartoons. Part of the reason why the 80s comics are so famously revered is because the characters felt like real people because they went through emotions like actual people do....all the characters, Rogue included, would go through motions of hate, despair, etc.....in the cartoon however Rogues emotional state just felt like it was convenient to the plot, like if they introduced a character that felt cursed by his/her powers Rogue would be downtrodden conveniently for that episode. It's also worth noting that in the comics Rogues powers were more diverse, meaning she also used powers to save peoples lives (like absorbing Colossus's powers so he could revert to human so his wounds could be treated after the Brotherhood almost killed him) and her being able to let other minds she absorbed become dominant, it, to some extent, felt like a different character was featured in that show.

The cartoon damaged the perception a lot of characters in my opinion. Cyclops during the late 70s and early 80s was written to be a master tactician and leader and was actually interesting and a guy you routed for, the cartoon however presented the Louise Simonson version of the character from her X-Factor run who was kind of boring, whiny and just overall the lame "leader archetype", and that is something that unfortunately remained with the character until Joss Whedons run. There is misconceptions about what is standard for all sorts of characters because of that cartoon.

I'll give you the Simonson version of Cyclops, but there were so many nuiances to the character even in that run that were sort of lost and simplified into random shouts of "Jean!!!". To me while Simonson's version was by far more of the boring team leader then Cyke had been previously, he was an interesting person beyond that role with things actually going on in his life that make his focus stories and moment stand out. Cartoon Cyclops though just sort of applied the boring but mature leader role (that in canon was neccesary considering his teams were usually inexperienced or full of kids up to that point) to everything about the character.

And it's sort of ever where...the moment where Jubilee and Xavier go roller blading despite him being hours from losing the use of his legs has nothing to do with Jubilee being a sidekick, or Jubilee being over her head and reckless. It's a mentor/student moment that shows why Jubilee is as much the heart of her era of teams as Kitty was during the 80's. But you take away moments like that an just make her the one to hype up Wolverine's awesome, and she stops being a character worth liking.

I've heard people who say they absolutely hate Jubilee, which while not impossible is really hard to believe they got after reading the comics. But if your watching a show where three episodes in a row she's either getting captured, sneaking on a mission, or saving the day in a ridiculous fashion and getting hailed as a hero at the end of each adventure....I can see why you wouldn't go looking for Jubilee stories.

It's a conundrum because while i don't expect them to cram 60 years of history, development into the nuainces of the next X-Men cartoon's characters, i'd be really pissed if in 10 years someone says "Cyclops should be a depressed, alcoholic loner who goes on optic blast rages and Xavier doesn't trust to be in charge" all because they grew up watching reruns of the Wolverine and the X-Men cartoon.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

I'll give you the Simonson version of Cyclops, but there were so many nuiances to the character even in that run that were sort of lost and simplified into random shouts of "Jean!!!". To me while Simonson's version was by far more of the boring team leader then Cyke had been previously, he was an interesting person beyond that role with things actually going on in his life that make his focus stories and moment stand out. Cartoon Cyclops though just sort of applied the boring but mature leader role (that in canon was neccesary considering his teams were usually inexperienced or full of kids up to that point) to everything about the character.

I disagree about Cyclops in X-Factor. Every character in that run was an archetype, the only character that evolved beyond it was Angel, but then in turn became Archangel and fulfilled the Wolverine type character archetype that the team didn't have.....archetypes, ahoy! That though, is another argument altogether I suppose. In the cartoon, Cyclops was never really given a whole lot to do, other than what he was famously made fun of for, which would be screaming "JEEAANN!" at every turn. There were rarely any moments in the show that I can remember where it was shown why he was chosen leader other than "thats how it is in the comics" and he would just customarily give orders. When in comparison, you can look at the episode based off of the first Morlock story where Strom fights Callisto for the X-Mens freedom....an important story for her in the comics and in the cartoon made her look like twice the boss that Cyclops is.....he was the one held captive in place of Angel if I recall.

@koays said:

And it's sort of ever where...the moment where Jubilee and Xavier go roller blading despite him being hours from losing the use of his legs has nothing to do with Jubilee being a sidekick, or Jubilee being over her head and reckless. It's a mentor/student moment that shows why Jubilee is as much the heart of her era of teams as Kitty was during the 80's. But you take away moments like that an just make her the one to hype up Wolverine's awesome, and she stops being a character worth liking.

I've heard people who say they absolutely hate Jubilee, which while not impossible is really hard to believe they got after reading the comics. But if your watching a show where three episodes in a row she's either getting captured, sneaking on a mission, or saving the day in a ridiculous fashion and getting hailed as a hero at the end of each adventure....I can see why you wouldn't go looking for Jubilee stories.

The whole character of Jubilee as a whole is another misconception because of the cartoon. People often say she is the "Kitty Pryde of the 90s" which isn't actually true. Jubilee was created as a pastiche of Carrie Kellys Robin from the Dark Knight Returns graphic novel that was popular around the time she debuted. Not only is Jubilees entire design based off her, with yellow trench coat substituting for yellow cape, but she is also an "ace" gymnast, uses weird slang, saves Wolverine and bandages him up in their first encounter, much like Carrie bandages up Batman after he is beaten by the mutants, Carrie Kelly also used fire works as a weapon where Jubilees power is described as "fireworks". Basically Jubilee was designed as Wolverines sidekick to accompany him during his "Madripoor Knights" stories...an allusion to "Gotham Knights" from Batman. When Jubilee does actually wind up with the other X-Men, she is not featured very often, serves as mainly comic relief, and is shipped off to Generation X about a year or two later. Her role is never as defined or important as it is in the X-Men cartoon.

In the cartoon, she is meant to be like a Kitty Pryde type character and serve as an introductory character to the X-Men or a plot device at least, something she really wasn't in the actual comic. I have noticed that it seems to be because of that cartoons success that people relate her to Kitty Pryde. I suppose the writers didn't do their job right because Kitty Pryde is actually very likable within the first several issue she appears in, as for Jubilee, as you have said, people really don't like her because of the cartoon.

@koays said:

It's a conundrum because while i don't expect them to cram 60 years of history, development into the nuainces of the next X-Men cartoon's characters, i'd be really pissed if in 10 years someone says "Cyclops should be a depressed, alcoholic loner who goes on optic blast rages and Xavier doesn't trust to be in charge" all because they grew up watching reruns of the Wolverine and the X-Men cartoon.

It's because they tried to translate stories with more mature subject matter and long over arching storylines into a cartoon for kids. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion on any subject that the book is better than the movie/show/cartoon....although, there are exceptions (Jaws!). Instead of adapting the stories almost verbatim and just cherry picking what was popular about the X-Men at the time they should have tried to establish their own continuity like X-Men Evolution would do a decade or so later. I mean, unless you are planning on having Gambit turn traitor or something there is almost no reason for he and Wolverine to be on the same team seeing as they are extremely similar characters.
    Eh, I don't if a lot of people watched Wolverine and the X-Men when it was on. The 90s cartoon is a whole different animal altogether as people from my generation still tout it as this amazing thing leading to younger people to seek it out and accept as a substitute or as "cliffs notes" for actually reading the Claremont books, which is a shame, because its such a weak adaption of those stories.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Namor. don't get me wrong his X-men suit is WAY better then his scaly green trunks, but he still looks ridiculous with his low v-neck and propped-up collar.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By poisonfleur

Okay, I LOVEEEE Headmistress Storm's outfit. It's a perfect blend between 80s punk Storm and her black suit. Only true Storm fans ho appreciated her time without powers get it.

Her new costume, I am still on the fence with... She looks action-ready yet basic at the same time.. She lacks presence. I need to see more-- I guess before I know.

Something about 90s costumes just made all the X-men seem almost at their pinnacle.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here is what Emma Frost would look like if anyone who designed her didn't have a dick and knew something about fashion.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@teerack: I don't like her without anything sexualised in her look honestly. It's Emma freaking Frost, she should show as much skin as possible lol

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veitha said:

@teerack: I don't like her without anything sexualised in her look honestly. It's Emma freaking Frost, she should show as much skin as possible lol

Every outfit shows deep cleavage and is flattering to her figure. Sexy doesn't mean showing a ton of skin. You're confusing trashing with sexy. Emma is a classy woman so the way they have been dressing her only makes sense if you use adolescent logic.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veitha: not sure about "as much skin as possible", he-he. I think that costume was ideal)

No Caption Provided
    Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear: yeah, I liked that one.

@teerack said:
    @veitha said:

Every outfit shows deep cleavage and is flattering to her figure. Sexy doesn't mean showing a ton of skin. You're confusing trashing with sexy. Emma is a classy woman so the way they have been dressing her only makes sense if you use adolescent logic.

but those you posted are far too covered, I loved her New X-Men era costume and its variants actually, especially with the jackets sometimes.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veitha said:

@rubear: yeah, I liked that one.

@teerack said:
    @veitha said:

but those you posted are far too covered, I loved her New X-Men era costume and its variants actually, especially with the jackets sometimes.

i was starting to like the black one until they put her back to her old white costume ::PPPPPPPPPPPP

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear said:

@veitha: not sure about "as much skin as possible", he-he. I think that costume was ideal)

No Caption Provided

I always thought that outfit looked super juvenile on her.

If they wanted to go for something like that I would prefer this.

No Caption Provided

Or even something like this.

No Caption Provided

She should look powerful and sexy NOT slutty which is something they always seem to fail at with here and make her look trashy.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: but she should also astonish and make people unconfortable, that's the whole point of her way of dressing, she threatens people's self-confidence. That's why she wears these outfits

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.