Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Which X-Men tbp should I get?

blight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By blight

Hey guys I've been away from comics awhile and began reading them again, I wanted to know which story lines are worth following. One I've been hearing about is the x-team with rouge as leader were good, I also heard good things about Messiah Complex that it shows cyclops in a good way which is fine by me since I am a cyclops fan. I just want to know your opinion so I wont waste my money on crappy stories.

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By Pania

I personally was not pleased by Messiah CompleX. While the story itself had gobs of potential, the execution was very sloppy. Plot holes, dropped story lines, inconsistencies with continuity and characterization, completely anti-climactic resolution, etc.

IMO, Cyclops was not shown in a good light at all because he jumped to a completely irrational conclusion (seriously, as a reader you try and follow his line of thinking and say "W.T.F?") and sent out a hit squad after his own son. He spends pretty much the entire arc one step behind everyone. Waaay out of character.

Honestly, I have not been pleased with the writing in either of the two flagship X-Tiles. X-Factor and Astonishing are the best written of the entire bunch (New X-Men was getting really good...and then they canceled it). But if you have to choose between Uncanny and Adjectiveless, go with Adjectiveless X-Men. Brubaker simply is out of his depth on the X-Men, he has no idea how to write them. While Carey has flaws, he at least knows how to write the X-Men and write good stories.

I also wouldn't bother with Endangered Species, which was a two issue story, max, that got draaaaaaggggeed out foooooreeeeveeeer (over four months of four different titles) with a resolution that would have been fine after the two issues it should have been, but left you feeling very cheated after sitting through this meandering and slow-paced storyline.

I enjoyed House of M, but I have a bias towards the main character. The story and characterizations were great, but it was also very slow paced. And of course the resolution of M-Day pissed off everyone. Son of M was a good story, if you don't mind seeing Quicksilver go completely 'round the bend.

Post Edited:2008-02-25 14:01:41

Avatar image for deactivated-5a87b18350ff9
    deactivated-5a87b18350ff9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

blight says:

"Hey guys I've been away from comics awhile and began reading them again, I wanted to know which story lines are worth following. One I've been hearing about is the x-team with rouge as leader were good, I also heard good things about Messiah Complex that it shows cyclops in a good way which is fine by me since I am a cyclops fan. I just want to know your opinion so I wont waste my money on crappy stories."

your talking about X-Treme X-Men right, cause I have to agree it is pretty good

iSHADOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By iSHADOW

Post Deleted.

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pania

Dorian Gray says:

your talking about X-Treme X-Men right, cause I have to agree it is pretty good"

I think he is talking about (Adjectiveless) X-Men. Rogue has been team leader in that title for the last couple years.
    Post Edited:2008-02-25 02:08:41

Avatar image for deactivated-5a87b18350ff9
    deactivated-5a87b18350ff9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pania says:

"Dorian Gray says:
    your talking about X-Treme X-Men right, cause I have to agree it is pretty good"

I think he is talking about (Adjectiveless) X-Men. Rogue has been team leader in that title for the last couple years.
    Post Edited:2008-02-25 02:08:41"

I was thinking X-Treme X-Men might be a little too old

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Pania

Dorian Gray says:

I was thinking X-Treme X-Men might be a little too old"

Yeah. Good, but perhaps a little older than what he/she is asking about.

The Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The Enigma

Don't get Morisson's run cos its irrelevant now and don't bother reading Endangered Species (its crap). Read books after house of m.

Generally you should read:

-You should really read House of M, Civil War (at least main parts, and World War Hulk also.

But for X-men try:

• X-Factor: better than many X-Men titles atm with a decent team, and is set after HOM. (There are 28 issues so far: 1-24 have been collected in four separate books (well actually 3 tpbs and 4th to be released in April) and each of them is better than the last: 25-27 are involved with Messiah Complex and 28 deals with the aftermath of Messiah Complex)

• Adjectiveless X-Men: Mike Carey's run was good, in fact it was much much better than Peter Milligan's run which was poor. You would try "Supernovas" which collect #188-199 + annual and "Blinded by The Light" collecting #199-204.

• Allthough it is somewhat disjointed from the Marvel Universe atm, Astonishing is fantastic and the first stage is nearly at an end. But Cyclops shines through and the arcs are pretty good.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Messiah Complex was good, really good. Pania and I disagree on this issue.

weather witch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By weather witch

somethin with storm in it!!! lol :)

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pania

The Enigma says:

"- Allthough it is somewhat disjointed from the Marvel Universe atm, Astonishing is fantastic and the first stage is nearly at an end. But Cyclops shines through and the arcs are pretty good."

Yeah, Astonishing #23 is a defining moment for Cyclops all his fans must read.

blight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By blight

I'm a guy. After the first two volumes of x-treme I felt the plot of that book was loose. Like, they didn't know what to do after the books of destiny arc. I already have the first three volumes of Astonishing that book and it really is that good.

Titan3510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Titan3510

I hate Astonishing X-Men.

Otherwise, I agree with Pania, New X-Men was getting real good but for some reason it got cancelled. For no reason. And I hate this Young X-Men thing. Where did everybody else go? And where are their teachers?

I say you should get X-Factor and Adjectiveless which has grown up to become the fantastic X-Men Legacy. Uncanny is getting better but this upcoming Cable and X-Force thing seems really good and check out Wolverine #62, from there it's supposed to be more X-Men orientated.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Nighthunter

messiahs complex was great and a good place to start reading X-men

Lady Tlieso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Lady Tlieso

God Loves, Man Kills. it's an older one but one of the best x-men stories ever written, in my opinion that is.

Lady Tlieso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lady Tlieso

aztek_the_lost says:

"Lady Tlieso says:
    "God Loves, Man Kills. it's an older one but one of the best x-men stories ever written, in my opinion that is. "

that's the story X2 was based off of right?"

yep, the comic was much better than the movie. i liked the movie well enough but it didn;t measure up.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Nighthunter

aztek_the_lost says:

"Nighthunter says:
    "messiahs complex was great and a good place to start reading X-men"

lol...the DCer is giving advice on the X-Men"

do you disagree with me?

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Nighthunter

aztek_the_lost says:

"Nighthunter says:
    "aztek_the_lost says:
    "Nighthunter says:
    "messiahs complex was great and a good place to start reading X-men"

lol...the DCer is giving advice on the X-Men"

do you disagree with me?"

not at all, I'm just amused that you were just suggested the book a few days ago and now your recommending it

but I guess that means its really good"

I've always been a fan of the x-men, loved the original animated series and loved the character of Wolverine.

The real reason I hadn't started reading x-men is because of three things:

1-Didn't know the quality. Because you like a character/team doesn't mean is good.

2-There were too many x-men books and didn't know which one(s) to pick

3-I always wait for a point where it's easy to jump in the series

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Nighthunter

in which tps/stories do Magneto and Iceman recover their powers after M day?

and are they a good read?

The Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The Enigma

Nighthunter says:

"in which tps/stories do Magneto and Iceman recover their powers after M day? and are they a good read?"

iceman never lost his powers but it he is in every issue of Adjecgtiveless X-men since M-day... so start with Decimaton X-Men, then move on to Blood Of Apocalypse, Supernovas, and Blinded by the Light.

Magneto is apparently repowered in New Avengers vomume 4: the collective.

Cobalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Cobalt

The Enigma says:

"Nighthunter says:
    "in which tps/stories do Magneto and Iceman recover their powers after M day? and are they a good read?"
    iceman never lost his powers but it he is in every issue of Adjecgtiveless X-men since M-day... so start with Decimaton X-Men, then move on to Blood Of Apocalypse, Supernovas, and Blinded by the Light. Magneto is apparently repowered in New Avengers vomume 4: the collective."

Ok, Enigma. You got the whole mentor thing down cold.

The Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The Enigma

Cobalt says:

"The Enigma says:
    "Nighthunter says:
    iceman never lost his powers but it he is in every issue of Adjecgtiveless X-men since M-day... so start with Decimaton X-Men, then move on to Blood Of Apocalypse, Supernovas, and Blinded by the Light. Magneto is apparently repowered in New Avengers vomume 4: the collective."
    Ok, Enigma. You got the whole mentor thing down cold."

i like comics and I dig magento and iceman (in a straight non-sexual manly way)

where you been Cobalt?

shmish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By shmish
    aztek the lost said:
    "

Nighthunter says:

good reasons I suppose...but you could have still just bought the tpb's before getting into the series

"
    Just wondering, does the Marvel website list what tpb's are available?  I tried to search their website but found the comic search to be confusing and eratic.  I tried to search by "trade paperback" but either got no hits or a bunch of comics.

thanks
    Blazing Eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By Blazing Eagle

yeah, Marvel website can be confusing to naviagate even their Marvel wikipedia is difficult to navigate, I for one love DC's website its much easier to navigate. Plus they show a list of graphic novels arrange alphabitlly (i know my spelling sucks).

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By danhimself

i would go with the complete age of apocalypse trades and the complete onslaught trades...they were my 2 most favorite x-arcs

The Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By The Enigma
    Messiah Complex Hardcover, Deadly Genesis, Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire, X-Men: Supernovas.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.