Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Which X-Men Comic Series would it be best to start with?

fisheypixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which X-Men Comic Series would it be best to start with? (9 votes)

Uncanny X-Men 44%
    Astonishing X-Men 56%

I'm just getting into comic books, X-Men being my favorite, and I don't know where to start. I guess I already started by buying and reading Grand Morrison's New X-Men (amazing series). But Where should I go now?

• 
    PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By PeppeyHare

Which volume of Uncanny X-men is this...? Astonishing X-Men is something all X fans should read at some point

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By oldnightcrawler

" I'm just getting into comic books, X-Men being my favorite, and I don't know where to start. I guess I already started by buying and reading Grand Morrison's New X-Men (amazing series). But Where should I go now?"

I really think that Whedon and Cassaday'sAstonishing X-Men(issues 1-24, Gifted, Dangerous, Torn, andUnstoppable) is just about the best place a new reader can start, short of going back to the early 80's. If you've read Morrison's run on new X-men, this is also a good next step, since it's the run that actually followed it.

Astonishing X-men
    Astonishing X-men

Of course, I do think the current Uncanny X-Men (vol.3?) is a pretty cool and different style of X-men story right now, so if you're more interested in what the X-men are doing now, it's not a bad place to start either, especially if you've already been introduced to the characters in Morrison's run. It's about Cyclops' outlaw X-men school, it's cool.

Uncanny X-men
    Uncanny X-men

It's hard to compare them, since Whedon's run is long over and Uncanny's is still going, but I like them both in different ways.

I like Whedon's Astonishing run more myself, as a classic rendition of the characters, but I would suggest starting with the first trade, Gifted, and then trying the first trade of Uncanny X-Men next before deciding.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.