Which X-Men characters need a costume update?

  • 65 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by MyraMyraMyra (296 posts) - - Show Bio

Which X-Men characters do you think are in desperate need of a costume update?

By this I don't necessarily mean which characters have the worst costumes (for instance, I hate Cyclops's giant blue condom outfit, but I don't think it's particularly dated). I'm talking about the characters with seriously outdated looks, or characters who have worn the exact same costume for an eternity & could benefit from a redesign.

I think that pretty much all characters need a costume update every now and then so that they would visually always reflect contemporary aesthetics. For instance, Rogue's costume has changed little by little through her character history, which is why I think she's always had a fresh look in every decade. Sometimes, though, characters get stuck with one look that eventually becomes horribly outdated and needs to be wholly & drastically redesigned at some point because there's simply nothing to be salvaged anymore (Exhibit A: Mr. Sinister).

I also think that visual consistency is important. Just because a character gets a costume update, it doesn't mean that everything about the old look should be discarded. Comic book characters always need to carry a trademark visual motif - like a set of colours, a symbol, a pattern, or certain article of clothing - that makes them stand out from others even if their costumes get redesigned every now and then. Boom-Boom, for instance, has had several different looks, but I don't think that her line of costumes has been particularly consistent, which is why she can't be visually all that memorable to the casual reader. However, sometimes a total redesign can be a good idea, too - there's nothing left of the old Frenzy in her current look, which is the best & most memorable one she's ever had. Her old design (skin-tight black leather - how original) didn't really make her stand out.

Anyways. I'll start by adding some characters I'd really like to see redesigned:

1. Magneto

Magneto's costume is certainly iconic, but it could and should be updated as well. I think the helmet (obviously) and the cape are his most essential visual motifs, but there has got to be an alternative to the fiercely outdated underpants-on-leotard solution. I think his current look is very outdated, and more silly than imposing. I think he needs to wear something elegantly militant & stately to reflect who he is as a character.

2. Scarlet Witch

Avengers Vs X-Men #0

Wanda's costume has been pretty much the same forever. I don't think that this costume is horribly bad, but it looks very, very dated. I also hate the pink parts of her outfit with passion. If I were to redesign her costume, I'd keep the corset-like top (though it, too, should be redesigned), and the element of the flowing scarlet clothing (possibly as a long scarf/veil instead of as a cape), but I'd get rid of all the pink, and either change the headgear for something more contemporary or discard it completely. I also think she could use a second piece to her costume.

3. Polaris

X-Factor 230

Outdated costumes seem to run in the family, because Polaris is definitely third on my list. She suffers pretty much from the same problems as Wanda - the headgear and the cape are just not all that contemporary, and I don't know what the hell is going on with that top. Now that she's joined X-Factor her look seems particularly out of place, since all the other characters in the title have very fresh & practical looks. I don't really like anything about the current design, except the colour. And the boots. I'd ditch the cape, redesign the headgear, and completely change the look of that top. Also, I think her costume design has always looked too much like a green version of Scarlet Witch's costume. I wish her look was more individual.

This list is rather Lehnsherr-heavy, but these three are really the ones I'd like to redesign the most. In my opinion, their looks are badly stuck is the past.

#2 Edited by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems Magneto's daughters inherited his bad taste in threads ;)

My Favourite Of Polaris' Outfits (Still Sadly It's X-Men Blue & Gold)

I definitely agree with Polaris. She's a pretty girl and desperately needs M & Siryn/Banshee to take her out shopping! She just looks so silly in that armoured body suit & helmet. Give her something more fashionable, more 'street' and a little less 'mutants in space' ;)

Personally, I'd also nominate Psylocke. I know the ninja-swimsuit is popular, but for a girl who used to be a fashion model it's sad to see her wearing the same outfit from over 20 years ago. Not to mention, that thing has got to stink by now! But I think she's been wearing some new togs (for a new role) in Uncanny X-Force.

And of course Boom Boom. She's been stuck in that red dress for too long now, which made her look like a cheap hooker. Worse yet, someone actually drew her in the old purple & gold uniform he wore when she changed her name to Meltdown. Talk about out of date! She never used to have any silly super hero outfits until she joined the New Mutants. Time to get the girl back her sense of style :)

Moderator
#3 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox_kitty: Psylocke's changed recently. Not all that much, granted... but still.

So much agree on the Scarlet Witch Though.... I don't mind Polaris actually.

I'd like to say that Frenzy, Husk, Cyclops, Rogue and others all need a new look.

#4 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: Oh I like Frenzy's new look. It suits her better than the dreads :) And I like Rogue's green & white dress-top. It could almost pass for real fashion. But Cyclops has been in the blue body condom for far too long, and for a girl who can change how she looks Husk has been the same for a bit too long ;)

Moderator
#5 Posted by Precise (22886 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna get a lot of crap for this... but Gambit. I like the look, but i mean.. how long can you wear the same damn thing. It is time for an update and they could do a lot of good looking things while keeping the cajun trench coat look.

#6 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox_kitty said:

Oh I like Frenzy's new look. It suits her better than the dreads :) And I like Rogue's green & white dress-top. It could almost pass for real fashion. But Cyclops has been in the blue body condom for far too long, and for a girl who can change how she looks Husk has been the same for a bit too long ;)

I don't like Frenzy, so that must be the problem. As for Rogue, while I really liked the welcome change back when it first happened I didn't want it to be a permanent thing like it was, if it was up to me I'd rather if she went back to her 90s look which was the peak of X-Men costumes for most of the team members. Either that, or Claremont era. I'm not opposed to Cyclops having a similar costume but they firstly: Need to take out the top part of the mask, secondly find something that isn't so bland and uniformly.

I get that the costume symbolizes many things that are happening within the X-Men as of now, but it just doesn't work properly.

Husk just has one of them basic costumes and it really doesn't do her all that good as a character. If she's to evolve, they need to change her first. On a side note, someone who fits the standard X costume really well is Doug.

#7 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

@Precise said:

I'm gonna get a lot of crap for this... but Gambit. I like the look, but i mean.. how long can you wear the same damn thing. It is time for an update and they could do a lot of good looking things while keeping the cajun trench coat look.

Ha ha! He didn't even come to mind, but you're right! That trench coat has got to stink as bad as the gusset in Psylocke's ninja-swimsuit ;) But I can't imagine what else he would wear. Well, aside from the deck of cards suits socks ;)

@ReVamp: Ah, I get that. Frenzy is nowhere to be seen on my 'favourite characters' list for a reason ;) But I did like a lot of the Age of X designs, so I was glad hers carried over. Rogue's was one of my favourites from the Age of X, but I can live with her green & white for now. I was a little disappointed that the return of Rogue's yellow & green didn't last more than a few issues of X-Men Legacy (before she joined the X-Men on Utopia). It was a modern twist on the 90's design that was very popular. But still, I think most characters should have 2 or 3 different uniforms so Rogue could at least swap back & forth; changing outfits for different stories :)

Yeah, poor Cypher does fit the classic gold & black/blue very well. But the whole of the New Mutants team could do with a new look. They were promised that when the new series started a few years ago, but that never manifested. although I don't think that could have saved them from the bad bad stories.

Moderator
#8 Posted by Precise (22886 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox_kitty: hahaha well, i'm not sure that outfit would do his womanizer reputation any good :P

I think his alternate reality suits were pretty good!

#9 Posted by cattlebattle (12993 posts) - - Show Bio
@Precise said:

I'm gonna get a lot of crap for this... but Gambit. I like the look, but i mean.. how long can you wear the same damn thing. It is time for an update and they could do a lot of good looking things while keeping the cajun trench coat look.

I agree wholeheartedly......the fuscia chestplate, the shiny, knee high metallic boots, the head condom thingy he wears....isn't he suppose to be thief, how about trying to wear something less flamboyant, I know in comics colors have to pop and all but his is ridiculous
#10 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

the head condom thingy he wears....

I've always wondered what that thing on his head is meant to be. I know comics have a sense of fashion all of their own, but really... what is it???

What? Is there something on my face? What is it? And what happened to my gloves? Where'd the thumb & other 2 fingers go???
Moderator
#11 Posted by cattlebattle (12993 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox_kitty: yep, have never figured it out, after Gambit wore one and I guess it became fashionable because 90's era  Jim Lee/ Liefield designed Jean Grey, Havok, and several others had something similar on, what possible purpose does it serve?? 
 
#12 Posted by Precise (22886 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox_kitty: Well the gloves is probably for his charging powers, he wouldn't want to charge his gloves on accident and blow himself up :P That begs the question why he'd wear gloves at all though.....

The face thing... i wish i knew..

#13 Posted by MyraMyraMyra (296 posts) - - Show Bio

@Precise said:

I'm gonna get a lot of crap for this... but Gambit. I like the look, but i mean.. how long can you wear the same damn thing. It is time for an update and they could do a lot of good looking things while keeping the cajun trench coat look.

I suspect that the only reason I like Gambit's classic costume (which he's still often shown wearing) is because I have a general fondness for all things Gambit, him being my favourite character. There have been slight alterations to his bodysuit over the years (see pictures below), but so change seems to be permanent. A lot artists seem to draw him with his classic costume on even today.

I think his X-Treme X-Men look was possibly his best. It's only slightly different to his classic costume, but the details on his bodysuit make it look far more contemporary than his decidedly 90's original look.

I would prefer his costume to have touch of magenta on it, since I really like the brown/black/magenta combo he usually wears. I don't think that this rather recent picture makes his outfit look dated:

Anyways, I still agree that he has his other foot stuck firmly in the 90's. The trenchcoat is Gambit's most important accessory and it's not dated at all, so the coat must stay, but I agree that underneath it he could use a bit of a costume update. I'm not sure how popular this opinion is, but I wouldn't mind seeing his headgear go. I've never really understood its function anyways. I liked the scarf he had in the AoX reality.

#14 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox_kitty said:

@ReVamp: Ah, I get that. Frenzy is nowhere to be seen on my 'favourite characters' list for a reason ;) But I did like a lot of the Age of X designs, so I was glad hers carried over. Rogue's was one of my favourites from the Age of X, but I can live with her green & white for now. I was a little disappointed that the return of Rogue's yellow & green didn't last more than a few issues of X-Men Legacy (before she joined the X-Men on Utopia). It was a modern twist on the 90's design that was very popular. But still, I think most characters should have 2 or 3 different uniforms so Rogue could at least swap back & forth; changing outfits for different stories :)

Yeah, poor Cypher does fit the classic gold & black/blue very well. But the whole of the New Mutants team could do with a new look. They were promised that when the new series started a few years ago, but that never manifested. although I don't think that could have saved them from the bad bad stories.

I have to say though, I kinda digged their look in the first story line. They all looked so uniform and sh*t, I just liked it. But yeah, we haven't had a good New Mutants story in over a decade, though the same could be said for the X-Men LOL. I like the AoX designs a lot though.

#15 Edited by cattlebattle (12993 posts) - - Show Bio
@MyraMyraMyra: He originally had the scarf in the year 2000 when all the X-Men updated a bit, I thought that was another disasterous look for him.  The X-treme X-Men look was OK, I feel the all black is a little too plain though. I like his current design in the picture you have posted there..............though the knee high boots gotta go, Is he on a swat team?? or is he a catcher for the MLB, because those are the only times I have seen someone wear those, well them and Micheal jackson
#16 Posted by Precise (22886 posts) - - Show Bio

Frankly, i like Gambit in just normal street clothes. no costume at all, but i'm a fan of that for most superheroes haha. But I just think it fits for a character like Gambit who's recognizable enough with his eyes and hair.

#17 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: Oh Lordy! I'd forgotten Havok's head-brace thing that looked like it had a giant X cut out of the face! XD

In fact, Havok could do with a make-over too!

The flashy lightshow doesn't change the fact he's STILL wearing a black body condom. He doesn't even need the 'contamination' suit any more!

@Precise said:

@xerox_kitty: Well the gloves is probably for his charging powers, he wouldn't want to charge his gloves on accident and blow himself up :P That begs the question why he'd wear gloves at all though.....

The face thing... i wish i knew..

Ah, I'd forgotten about his powers. But as you say... why bother with half a glove? Or what's wrong with regular fingerless gloves? ;)

@MyraMyraMyra: It amuses me that an extremely masculine character like Gambit has a lot of pink colouring. I know his powers pretty quickly evolved from green to pink, but I still think it's to match his eyes ;)

@ReVamp: I enjoyed the Necrosha reunion, but that's 3 issues out of 30 bad ones :( And still no sign of any individuality among the classic members's outfits.

@Precise said:

Joe Madureira makes everyone look good! But I really miss the days when X-Men used to wear regular clothes.

Moderator
#18 Posted by MyraMyraMyra (296 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox_kitty said:

Ah, I'd forgotten about his powers. But as you say... why bother with half a glove? Or what's wrong with regular fingerless gloves? ;)

@MyraMyraMyra: It amuses me that an extremely masculine character like Gambit has a lot of pink colouring. I know his powers pretty quickly evolved from green to pink, but I still think it's to match his eyes ;)

Hey, real men can wear pink ;) I like the magenta of his outfit. It looks good on him.

On a slightly unrelated note, I love it how Gambit has consistently been written as a character who is very masculine but not the slightest bit macho because he's extremely comfortable with his masculinity and sexuality. He does strike me as the type who can easily wear pink & look good in it without getting all insecure about it.

I think Gambit's half-gloves are supposed to a) allow him to charge objects with the ungloved fingers, and b) keep him from leaving fingerprints when he's doing sneaky thief things, assuming that he's precise enough to use only the gloved fingers when he's touching something. That's actually pretty clever, which is why I like the gloves.

#19 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

@MyraMyraMyra said:

Hey, real men can wear pink ;) I like the magenta of his outfit. It looks good on him.

On a slightly unrelated note, I love it how Gambit has consistently been written as a character who is very masculine but not the slightest bit macho because he's extremely comfortable with his masculinity and sexuality. He does strike me as the type who can easily wear pink & look good in it without getting all insecure about it.

I think Gambit's half-gloves are supposed to a) allow him to charge objects with the ungloved fingers, and b) keep him from leaving fingerprints when he's doing sneaky thief things, assuming that he's precise enough to use only the gloved fingers when he's touching something. That's actually pretty clever, which is why I like the gloves.

He's more predatory, and just oozes "Yeah, I could have you baby" subconsciously ;p

I actually liked the gloves that 'Legacy'/Rogue had in the Age of X; with the palms cut out so she could absorb powers without having to take her gloves off. But I don't think they designed Gambit's gloves with that kind of practicality... they seem to be purely to look 'cool', just like that head-brace thing ;)

Moderator
#20 Posted by papad1992 (6832 posts) - - Show Bio

HUSK

Best costume I think... But she can do better!!!
#21 Posted by Renee (10289 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty much everyone.

#22 Posted by Lion_Heart22 (446 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambit is one of those characters that looks better with his street duds... that was one thing I liked about the Wolverine movie, he just had a purple dress shirt on and it looked fine.

Cyclops needs to lose the cap, never been a fan of it. I always liked his hair showing. I still think the costume he had after coming back from being possessed by Apocalypse was awesome.

#23 Posted by Skaddix (3117 posts) - - Show Bio

i would say most x-men especially the new mutants and new x-men but a lot of senior x-men besides wolverine could do for some updates. one of the biggest disappointments of schism.

#24 Posted by Hysteria (328 posts) - - Show Bio

Would love to see Kitty Pryde have a new costume. She's had the same one for 8 years now.

#25 Edited by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1008 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with a lot of the people mentioned here. Cyclops, Polaris, Scarlet Witch, Magneto, Havok, and Gambit all need new costumes. The moment I read the title of the thread I immediately thought of most of these characters.

#26 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3600 posts) - - Show Bio

Whoah, yes, I definitely agree that Cyclops, Polaris, Scarlet Witch (not technically an X-(wo)Man but she is in need of one), Magneto, and Havok need to be updated. I kind of liked Havok's X-Factor uniform when he wore a jacket - it gave texture to his overall look and anything that breaks up the body condom look is a good move.

I would go a step further and have them all wearing uniforms. I actually liked the blue and gold uniforms they wore in the start of Jim Lee's run. I would like a variation on how the original X-Factor handled it, and to a certain extent, Jim Lee. A single uniform design, with subtle changes for other characters based on their powers with variations on color scheme. I really liked some of the ideas that were floating around out there for redesigns.

The New Mutants desperately need updated uniforms, as well. Those things look like the main reason people don't wear spandex. I still remember their "graduation" outfits that they wore during Inferno, but I liked them!

A bit dated but there is a "theme" to the costumes, while maintaining aspects of a uniform. I'd want to see these updated.

Psylocke's ninja swimsuit is the laziest and ugliest costume on the team, currently, and I maintain that making her a ninja was the worst step back for her character that could have been implemented. And the leg ribbons always annoyed me. I think remaking a character just because you want a ninja on the team is irresponsible (just make a new character...). Trading powerful telepathy for inconsistent power levels and a non-powerhouse physique is not a good move. I kind of liked her style during the Claremont '80s and her character progression back then. I kind of liked her original outfits and would rather she go either armored or more stylish approach.

#27 Edited by Thirteen13 (415 posts) - - Show Bio

I definitely agree that a lot of the X-Men (and other superheroes) costumes are outdated or even simply outlandish ( i.e., skin-tight spandex/lycra/leather outfits). I think the costumes should be modernised and updated with more casual and practical street-wear, although obviously for the younger generation, like jeans, combat trousers, hooded tops, gilets and so on, even if just worn over the default bodysuit could be something different and more modern.

I quite like Bling!'s uniform of a brown leather jacket with the "X" emblem and a black mini skirt along with a nice belt.

Also, sort of liked DJ's outfit especially the accessories of the headphones and utility looking belt.

.M's outfit is rather fashionable and updated with nice black trench coat with red trim as well as black boots though she is still wearing a skin-tight bodysuit albeit with an interesting belt.

I loved Surge's outfit as it had a good casual and street feel especially the somewhat baggy trousers with the "X" emblem on each knee.

#28 Posted by natejoseph09 (136 posts) - - Show Bio

Definatley Cyclops, the head condom thing is ridiculous.

#29 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm actually pretty happy with the X-Men costumes currently. I've always preferred the cowl for Cyclops, and even if you hate that his current uni looks good without it. I think Emma Frost's look is the best it's been in years, striking a good balance between sexy and stately--"classy" lingerie. Namor's look similarly is revealing without being a boring old pair of scaled undies. Beast, Iceman, Wolverine...they all look good.

I do agree that Magneto could use an updated costume. I don't know why they didn't capitalize on his appearance in X-Men: First Class, doing something like a cape-less X-suit with his signature helmet.

As for the head-gear cowls, they never bothered me. It's a compromise between cowl and no cowl/mask and no mask. I wouldn't mind seeing Gambit lose it just because they'd have to draw his hair differently and that might be interesting, but it doesn't bother me at all for Havok, who I think looks great.

I'm trying hard to pick one and having to go pretty far afield. Part of it is that I really like the X-uniform look, so when I see characters like Shadowcat who are basically just wearing a slightly altered standard uniform, I like it still. A lot of the X-kiddies and X-kiddy graduates wear stuff like that (e.g., Armor, Pixie, Cypher) so I'm usually pleased with their looks. Then there are those who are obviously dated yet I love that about them and never want them to change (e.g., Longshot).

But you know what, I can do this. Think, fo, think. Let your hate flow. Gooooooooooooooooooood:

  • Hope's whole outfit - I don't like the tattered scarf thing and I wish she didn't have Rogue's colors as well as her abilities. Generally I think Hope needs to be rebranded however. I liked her when she was basically just "Young Cable."
  • Colossuggernaut needs some better outfit cohesion. His helmet does not go with the rest of his costume. Fix it. Give him Juggernaut's costume and just recolor it if you have to, this isn't rocket science.
  • X-23 - I like some of her outfits, but anything where she's basically just wearing a sports bra needs to go. Not because it's revealing or anything, just cause it's boring. She's a superhero, she's not off to spin class.
  • Psylocke - I prefer a more armored look, though obviously "ninja armored," not "knight templar" armored.
  • Dazzler - Good, but more crotch explosion. In fact, crotch explosions for all X-Men, mandatory.
  • Cable - Please ditch the Gears of War-style chest armor he's got going on there. I like it when Cable looks like an actual superhero. Give him a real uniform.
  • Storm's current outfit certainly isn't bad (it's a quality update to a classic) but I'd love to see her go back to the punk rock look, though perhaps with a modern take and a nod to her status as a queen of wakanda. That'd be a lot going on but it might also be awesome. Mohawk conquers all.
  • Darwin - His outfit's kinda boring.
  • Cuckoos - I wouldn't mind if they each got unique costumes so I could tell 'em apart.
  • X-Man - Put a shirt on. What's wrong with you?

That's all I got.

#30 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

Psylocke's ninja swimsuit is the laziest and ugliest costume on the team, currently, and I maintain that making her a ninja was the worst step back for her character that could have been implemented. And the leg ribbons always annoyed me. I think remaking a character just because you want a ninja on the team is irresponsible (just make a new character...). Trading powerful telepathy for inconsistent power levels and a non-powerhouse physique is not a good move. I kind of liked her style during the Claremont '80s and her character progression back then. I kind of liked her original outfits and would rather she go either armored or more stylish approach.

Totally agreed! I can accept that for the sake of a thousand used tissues, Marvel will never change Psylocke back. But that ninja-swimsuit has got to be smelly! At least the Lady Mandarin outfit had armour, a silly large restricting helmet & class :)

Lady Mandarin

@fodigg said:

  • Hope's whole outfit - I don't like the tattered scarf thing and I wish she didn't have Rogue's colors as well as her abilities. Generally I think Hope needs to be rebranded however. I liked her when she was basically just "Young Cable."

I never thought of it as Rogue colours. Maybe it's because the colour palette of superhero fashion is so limited? anyway, I always saw it as Phoenix colours... the new Jean Grey! ;)

But yeah, the tattered scarf was cool when travelling through space in a terrible future... but it seems pretty pointless now that she's returned to present day 'civilisation'. Although I do realise that no-one on Utopia ever gets changed & therefore they have no stores for her to go shopping... but surely they could at least loan her one of Rogue's old capes? ;p

Moderator
#31 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10654 posts) - - Show Bio

Good question. I think quite a few of them need updates:

1) Storm - Her recent looks stick too closely to her classic/original look, and while that's one of my favorites, it has been played to death

2) Magneto - same as with Storm

3) Magik - I like and prefer her Limbo armor look

4) Dani Moonstar - If she went for a more edgy look similar to Storm did in the 80's (leather vest, pants, boots, place for a blade....she could rock this look well)

5) Gambit - I get that the trench coat is part of his look but....it's also played. I liked his look in X-Treme minus the coat

Looks I am liking right now is Rachel's in WATX & Legacy and a coupleof the looks for Psylocke in UXF (Remender just needs to pick and run with it).

#32 Edited by ivolution2k1 (58 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

  • X-Man - Put a shirt on. What's wrong with you?

made my day

#33 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox_kitty said:

@fodigg said:

  • Hope's whole outfit - I don't like the tattered scarf thing and I wish she didn't have Rogue's colors as well as her abilities. Generally I think Hope needs to be rebranded however. I liked her when she was basically just "Young Cable."

I never thought of it as Rogue colours. Maybe it's because the colour palette of superhero fashion is so limited? anyway, I always saw it as Phoenix colours... the new Jean Grey! ;)

But yeah, the tattered scarf was cool when travelling through space in a terrible future... but it seems pretty pointless now that she's returned to present day 'civilisation'. Although I do realise that no-one on Utopia ever gets changed & therefore they have no stores for her to go shopping... but surely they could at least loan her one of Rogue's old capes? ;p

Hmm. See, I don't really see "Phoenix" because between the light and dark versions there've been a few different color schemes for her, however, you make an excellent point in comparing her to Jean Grey because they're the same colors as her original Marvel Girl costume:

Yikes. Anyway, I can certainly see the comparison to this outfit more than Rogue's current outfit, which has gone back to Green/White, and really the tan of Hope's scarf isn't the same brown as Rogue's jacket in the 90s so it wasn't an exact fit either.

And I totally agree on the tattered scarf. You'd think when she was out shopping with her new friends she'd have picked something up that wasn't so ratty.

@ivolution2k1 said:

@fodigg said:

  • X-Man - Put a shirt on. What's wrong with you?

made my day

lol! Thanks.

#34 Posted by davelecave (1113 posts) - - Show Bio

I gotta agree on Gambit. What is that thing on his head? neck protector? it makes no sense. He looks like he hasn't bought an single piece of clothing since the 90's. Replace the headgear with a bandana (like in AoA) and you keep the same basic look without looking like a complete idiot. As for the trench, I get that it's his "thing", but at least make it a reasonable length or something. It just makes him look like a creep.

#35 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: Ack! My eyes!! (Any excuse to post Marvel Pool, huh? ;)

Moderator
#36 Posted by Burnstar1230 (210 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely Agree with The Magneto Family and Gambit. Just something Jim Lee liked to use for most of his character designs in the 90's: Havok, Voodoo, Spartan, Warblade, Maul, etc. Mostly, anyone who still wears a cape and/or a one piece leotard need to update their look.

#37 Posted by Tigerstriper (455 posts) - - Show Bio

As great as the X-Men's individual costumes look (most of them), I'd like to see them adopt a team look for a while. They've done this before, with everyone wearing a standard outfit to "unify" the team. This time, don't have to stick everyone in a standard uniform, keep their individual look, just change it to blue & gold.

It can't be any worse than those bland black leather costumes.

#38 Posted by noggin_the_nog (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't you dare talk like that about Gambit! His costume his iconic! It's a costume you wouldn't be embarrassed wearing unlike most of the spandex wearers' costumes. I think now that he's got Juggernaut powers, Colossus deserves a costume update, something that would actually go with his helmet.

#39 Edited by poisonfleur (3071 posts) - - Show Bio

Dazzler fails to Dazzle anyone in that costume. She needs to raid Rihanna, Lady Gaga, or Nicki Minaj's wardrobe and slap an 'X' somewhere on it instead of this.. black and metal spandex..

Rogue: Needs to go back to being Iconic. Everyone loved 90s Rogue in the yellow and green. This current look reminds me too much of that abysmal movie counterpart.

Magneto: Needs something new.. Underwear outside the pants is just sad nowadays.

#40 Edited by LadyHarley (50 posts) - - Show Bio

My biggest peeve is when artists put an X on Emma Frost's outfit. Some don't put it on and others do but I think the damn thing clashes with what's she's wearing. I understand she needs to be identified as an X-Man, but I think it kind of looks tacky.

#41 Posted by LadyHarley (50 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey, btw, is Betsy in her Asian body or British body? After the Sisterhood arc I got confused and the fact that she is drawn with Caucasian features nowadays doesn't help.

#42 Posted by jhazzroucher (16152 posts) - - Show Bio

instead of black and gold, I want Storm's costume to be changed to red and gold.

#43 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

@LadyHarley said:

Hey, btw, is Betsy in her Asian body or British body? After the Sisterhood arc I got confused and the fact that she is drawn with Caucasian features nowadays doesn't help.

She's still in Kwannon's Japanese body (I wasn't sure either until the Psylocke mini series in which she attempts to return the deceased British body to it's original resting place).

@jhazzroucher said:

instead of black and gold, I want Storm's costume to be changed to red and gold.

Storm does look good in a royal red & gold, but she's still in an outfit that's a twist on her original 1970's cape. She needs something more original, and dare I say... modern.

Moderator
#44 Posted by Tigerstriper (455 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anyone else think it's time for the 90's "cool jackets" to return?

#45 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

@Tigerstriper said:

Does anyone else think it's time for the 90's "cool jackets" to return?

90's Retro?

Moderator
#46 Posted by DEGRAAF (7896 posts) - - Show Bio

@MyraMyraMyra said:

1. Magneto

Magneto's costume is certainly iconic, but it could and should be updated as well. I think the helmet (obviously) and the cape are his most essential visual motifs, but there has got to be an alternative to the fiercely outdated underpants-on-leotard solution. I think his current look is very outdated, and more silly than imposing. I think he needs to wear something elegantly militant & stately to reflect who he is as a character.

2. Scarlet Witch

Wanda's costume has been pretty much the same forever. I don't think that this costume is horribly bad, but it looks very, very dated. I also hate the pink parts of her outfit with passion. If I were to redesign her costume, I'd keep the corset-like top (though it, too, should be redesigned), and the element of the flowing scarlet clothing (possibly as a long scarf/veil instead of as a cape), but I'd get rid of all the pink, and either change the headgear for something more contemporary or discard it completely. I also think she could use a second piece to her costume.

3. Polaris

Outdated costumes seem to run in the family, because Polaris is definitely third on my list. She suffers pretty much from the same problems as Wanda - the headgear and the cape are just not all that contemporary, and I don't know what the hell is going on with that top. Now that she's joined X-Factor her look seems particularly out of place, since all the other characters in the title have very fresh & practical looks. I don't really like anything about the current design, except the colour. And the boots. I'd ditch the cape, redesign the headgear, and completely change the look of that top. Also, I think her costume design has always looked too much like a green version of Scarlet Witch's costume. I wish her look was more individual.

Iagree with everything said about Scarlet Witch. and i would like to see Erik in some kind of black military type uniform

Age of X: Magneto
New Mutants #23

I would say 616 Magneto should go with something like this one

Polaris i actually like her costume although i would be ok if they lost the head gear and cape (or at least give her a smaller cape)

Earth-8149 Exiles
Art by Jamie Fay

I like all of these for Polaris ( i think i like the first one the best)

Iceman needs a new outfit. I know it doesnt really matter because when he turns to ice you dont see it anyways but i say at least give him pants. I dont know why but i picture him in cargo pants

#47 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

@DEGRAAF: The Exiles Polaris had a nice look :)

Iceman did have a coat & shades for a while...

... But The Lycra Cycling Shorts Just Look Weird
Moderator
#48 Posted by DEGRAAF (7896 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox_kitty: I would like to see him move further in his use of his powers as well

#49 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

@DEGRAAF: Yes, I'd like that too :)

There's been a lot of positive feedback to this fan art of Magneto in a refined magenta suit. Perhaps a more classy & regal look is what the Master of Magnetism needs now?

Magneto Fashion Shoot By Kevin Wada
Moderator
#50 Posted by poisonfleur (3071 posts) - - Show Bio

@LadyHarley said:

My biggest peeve is when artists put an X on Emma Frost's outfit. Some don't put it on and others do but I think the damn thing clashes with what's she's wearing. I understand she needs to be identified as an X-Man, but I think it kind of looks tacky.

Oh Gawd.. I never noticed how bad this was until you mentioned it. I think Emma's best costumes is this one.. And it has an 'x' on it. lol ;3

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.