Which X-Men character has been written badly lately?

#1 Edited by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio

Which X-Men characters do you think have been written badly lately and how do you think they should be written? I think having Bishop become the bad guy was a bad move since he was well liked in the past and how the younger X-Men are always written to the background always made me upset.

#2 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

- It would be a lot easier to say what characters have not been written badly or neglected

- The vast majority of characters have been written to be lemmings and mutes that follow Cyclops / Emma / Wolverine to further the story regardless of how unlikely they would remain silent through such events based on history.

- The only group that was written with a realistic reaction to the new direction was X-Factor written by PAD, they saw a massive shift in the direction of the X-Men and ACTUALLY DEBATED IT. How radical a concept, you mean people do not accept change easily??

#3 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio
@WarMachineMarkV said:

- It would be a lot easier to say what characters have not been written badly or neglected

- The vast majority of characters have been written to be lemmings and mutes that follow Cyclops / Emma / Wolverine to further the story regardless of how unlikely they would remain silent through such events based on history.

- The only group that was written with a realistic reaction to the new direction was X-Factor written by PAD, they saw a massive shift in the direction of the X-Men and ACTUALLY DEBATED IT. How radical a concept, you mean people do not accept change easily??

That is so true. I guess it's hard to find a character who has been written well lately with so many drastic changes happening.  I wish all X-books were written like X-Factor where they are actually talking about whether or not this is the right thing to do instead of just going along with it.
#4 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

PAD is soooooooo undervalued. Every character he writes has a distinctive voice, and more importantly, stays in character.

#5 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio
@jrock85 said:

PAD is soooooooo undervalued. Every character he writes has a distinctive voice, and more importantly, stays in character.

Yeah, we need more writers like him!
#6 Posted by poisonfleur (3029 posts) - - Show Bio

-Storm has been a bit underwhelming as of late (especially when she joined Avengers), but my fingers are crossed that she is still back on the upswing to her former glory.

-Rogue also needs to go back to her confident, strong, YELLOW and green, Big hair, southern bell 90s counterpart. Her current character is a let down IMO.

-With all the Phoenix Warsong, Madylene's return, Hope, and Avengers Vs X-men's Pheonix Story.. Where is Jean??? So much for being 'one with the Phoenix'...

-The new Jean Grey School for higher learning is.... ummm.. different looking to say the least..

- Missing X-men such as Sage, Thunderbird III & Lifeguard.

-Rachel. It seems Jean Grey's replacement got replaced by Hope. Jeez it must suck to be a fill in that go filled in.

-Hope. IMO everything about her character could have been executed better. Everything down to her costume. Although I like her team members in Generation Hope.

- X-men in the media have been written badly. Some of the scripts are designed to just to make other characters like Wolverine look good.

#7 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio
@poisonfleur said:

-Storm has been a bit underwhelming as of late (especially when she joined Avengers), but my fingers are crossed that she is still back on the upswing to her former glory.

-Rogue also needs to go back to her confident, strong, YELLOW and green, Big hair, southern bell 90s counterpart. Her current character is a let down IMO.

-With all the Phoenix Warsong, Madylene's return, Hope, and Avengers Vs X-men's Pheonix Story.. Where is Jean??? So much for being 'one with the Phoenix'...

-The new Jean Grey School for higher learning is.... ummm.. different looking to say the least..

- Missing X-men such as Sage, Thunderbird III & Lifeguard.

-Rachel. It seems Jean Grey's replacement got replaced by Hope. Jeez it must suck to be a fill in that go filled in.

-Hope. IMO everything about her character could have been executed better. Everything down to her costume. Although I like her team members in Generation Hope.

- X-men in the media have been written badly. Some of the scripts are designed to just to make other characters like Wolverine look good.

It's a shame that Rachel is barely getting any spotlight ever since Hope came into the picture. Rachel came around the X-Universe first and yet she is now a background character.  I wish that they could have done better with Hope instead of just introducing her as a mutant messiah and not much is done with her character. I wish that the X-Men were treated better in the media instead of being in Wolverine's shadow all the time.
#8 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

         

X-Men Origins: Cyclops
#9 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
         
X-Men Origins: Cyclops
This definitely.
#10 Edited by jhazzroucher (15604 posts) - - Show Bio

Storm has been written in Avengers badly. : (

#11 Edited by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio
@jhazzroucher said:

Storm has been written in Avengers badly. : (

It makes me wonder why Storm is in Avengers if they were going to write her so terribly.
#12 Posted by jhazzroucher (15604 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@jhazzroucher said:

Storm has been written in Avengers badly. : (

It makes me wonder why Storm is in Avengers if they were going to write her so terribly.

but on the recent avenger issue, she's doing better. : )

#13 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio
@jhazzroucher said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@jhazzroucher said:

Storm has been written in Avengers badly. : (

It makes me wonder why Storm is in Avengers if they were going to write her so terribly.

but on the recent avenger issue, she's doing better. : )

That's great to hear!
#14 Posted by MyraMyraMyra (296 posts) - - Show Bio

Hellion has been trolled by a lot of writers lately. He's basically been written as the village bully, and all of his non-douchebagey qualities have been smoothed out so that he can be used as the resident twerp when needed. I've never been a huge fan of Hellion, but I do like well-rounded characters better than two-note stock characters. I think he and his fans deserve better.

Gambit has been the victim of poor writing for many, many years now. He's been written as a spineless, self-loathing ruin of a man who cannot get over his past by everyone else except Marjorie Liu. I'm so glad she's going to write him again.

I don't think any of the current writers know what to do with Storm.

I really miss old Magneto. I liked him a lot better when he was the tormented antagonist you almost felt for, instead of the smug, self-satisfied sugar daddy & lachey of Cyclops he is now. I don't necessarily want him to become a full-on villain again, but I wish he left the X-Men and started leading his own group of followers again, or just overthrow Cyclops and start ruling Utopia. I think he makes more interesting a leader than a follower.

#15 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio

@MyraMyraMyra said:

Hellion has been trolled by a lot of writers lately. He's basically been written as the village bully, and all of his non-douchebagey qualities have been smoothed out so that he can be used as the resident twerp when needed. I've never been a huge fan of Hellion, but I do like well-rounded characters better than two-note stock characters. I think he and his fans deserve better.

Gambit has been the victim of poor writing for many, many years now. He's been written as a spineless, self-loathing ruin of a man who cannot get over his past by everyone else except Marjorie Liu. I'm so glad she's going to write him again.

I don't think any of the current writers know what to do with Storm.

I really miss old Magneto. I liked him a lot better when he was the tormented antagonist you almost felt for, instead of the smug, self-satisfied sugar daddy & lachey of Cyclops he is now. I don't necessarily want him to become a full-on villain again, but I wish he left the X-Men and started leading his own group of followers again, or just overthrow Cyclops and start ruling Utopia. I think he makes more interesting a leader than a follower.

I definitely agree with everything you said, especially about Magneto. I really want Magneto to go back to being the main villain again because it seems like he was written better that way and I loved his complex nature about mutants being better than humans. Also, when he was the villain, he was really a force to be reckoned with and now that he's on the X-Men side, he's being written as being slightly weaker than before and that unsettles me.

#16 Posted by Mercy_ (92685 posts) - - Show Bio

Rachel was featured pretty heavily in the last Legacy arc

Moderator
#17 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Cyclops
  • Wolverine
  • Emma Frost

In that order.

Poor God Spawn.

#18 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

  • Cyclops
  • Wolverine
  • Emma Frost

In that order.

Poor God Spawn.

Exactly!

#19 Edited by Soulstealer (825 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@poisonfleur said:

-Storm has been a bit underwhelming as of late (especially when she joined Avengers), but my fingers are crossed that she is still back on the upswing to her former glory.

-Rogue also needs to go back to her confident, strong, YELLOW and green, Big hair, southern bell 90s counterpart. Her current character is a let down IMO.

-With all the Phoenix Warsong, Madylene's return, Hope, and Avengers Vs X-men's Pheonix Story.. Where is Jean??? So much for being 'one with the Phoenix'...

-The new Jean Grey School for higher learning is.... ummm.. different looking to say the least..

- Missing X-men such as Sage, Thunderbird III & Lifeguard.

-Rachel. It seems Jean Grey's replacement got replaced by Hope. Jeez it must suck to be a fill in that go filled in.

-Hope. IMO everything about her character could have been executed better. Everything down to her costume. Although I like her team members in Generation Hope.

- X-men in the media have been written badly. Some of the scripts are designed to just to make other characters like Wolverine look good.

It's a shame that Rachel is barely getting any spotlight ever since Hope came into the picture. Rachel came around the X-Universe first and yet she is now a background character. I wish that they could have done better with Hope instead of just introducing her as a mutant messiah and not much is done with her character. I wish that the X-Men were treated better in the media instead of being in Wolverine's shadow all the time.

Read Cable. That is the Hope I love and they killed her with strange and often times weird writing choices. She developed so much and though she was young she'd lived a lot more adversity than a lot of the X-men ever have. Sure she was taught to be a soldier, but she'd also grown up in a decidedly loving environment, she loved and lost, she was a teenager but not even the slightest bit typical. And then they just sort of turned her into a brat because her father died and it doesn't fit at all.

#20 Posted by Kairan1979 (16731 posts) - - Show Bio

@MyraMyraMyra said:

Hellion has been trolled by a lot of writers lately. He's basically been written as the village bully, and all of his non-douchebagey qualities have been smoothed out so that he can be used as the resident twerp when needed. I've never been a huge fan of Hellion, but I do like well-rounded characters better than two-note stock characters. I think he and his fans deserve better.

And I can say the same about X-23. She just started to show the signs of character development - and all of a sudden she is back at square one (issues 19-21). And let's not even say anything about her role in Venom. C'mon it's already established that X-23 has a soul, why she started questioning it again?

#21 Posted by Purgy (419 posts) - - Show Bio

Add some of the young X-men and let me see Dazzler, and some few others and you got one heck of a list.

#22 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: March 28th can't come soon enough.

#23 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

Bishop becoming the murderous bad guy was terrible. I was kinda excited about him doing something bad for the greater good at first, it's like someone getting the chance to go back and kill Hitler. But they kinda ruined it.
 
Cable in X-Sanction is pretty terrible. He feels like a gullible moron. Sure he's got methods to take down the Avengers but he's not going about it smartly.

#24 Edited by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog: I actually think Scott's being written quite well right now and has been since Morrison's New X-Men. Now everybody else's reaction to his growth/change...not so much. I think Gillen's doing a pretty good job on UXM imo. I haven't read the other books in a while. What I can say is that Chuck's been written badly outside of Legacy for years. Storm's finally feeling like her old self in UXM. Same goes for Emma. Colossus has been pretty spotty under Gillen though, it's definitely taken an upturn, but I'm not fully satisfied. I'm very interested to see how Wood's Handles Domino.

@Soulstealer: 1,000 yes!!! So much win here.

@lykopis: Well said, I have no problem with siding with Cyke, my problem has been with how the writers have gone about it. Emma/Erik/Namor are all strong type A personalities and even if Scott's most fit to lead (a balanced approach between Chuck/Mags) they wouldn't so readily march to his tune. If anything Utopia would be truly ruled by a council and the fact that they didn't capitalize on this dynamic in stories is one of the biggest missed opportunities in recent comics history. I also highly miss Rogue's sass.

#25 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio
@lykopis said:

Rogue. I want her sass back, and gah, just. not. with. you-know-who.

Gambit. I want the charming, protective Cajun back. And Liu should be able to carry that off.

Magneto. He is not a follower. He is not an advisor. He's a leader.

Xavier. Off to be a daddy? Um - don't think so. Put him back into the game.

There's more, but those are my main ones. Cyclops is just too obvious a choice, lol.

I agree with all of them, especially Gambit. To be honest, I want to see Gambit and Rogue hook up again (I can't stand Rogue and Magneto being together) Also, I really can't see Magneto just following anyone and he should at least be co-leader of Cyclops' group or something.
#26 Posted by Purgy (419 posts) - - Show Bio

I rather Gambit and Rogue become friends, it would just be weird if they got together again after all the crap the writers put them through.

#27 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7282 posts) - - Show Bio
Charles Xavier. 
 
If this title truely belongs to ANYONE, it's HIM.
#28 Posted by royale_with_cheese (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@poisonfleur said:

-Rachel. It seems Jean Grey's replacement got replaced by Hope. Jeez it must suck to be a fill in that go filled in.

Hahaha this is true. She came back from space with the Starjammers to be thrown into development limbo. Sucks to be anyone with the last name "Grey".

#29 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio
@Purgy said:
I rather Gambit and Rogue become friends, it would just be weird if they got together again after all the crap the writers put them through.
Oh yeah. I would definitely have them be friends first before putting them up as a couple again since there's just so much damage that the writers put them through that just putting them together again would seem so awkward. I would like to have it set up where Rogue and Gambit discuss about the events that happened between them and have them try to work it out.
#30 Edited by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@royale_with_cheese said:

Sucks to be anyone with the last name "Grey".

Ain't that the truth as of late. But at least, Rachel has her powers....unlike Nate. DnA, you dudes need to do something with Nate!!!! Hell the whole New Mutants team needs to be written better.

#31 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio

All of them.

Moderator
#32 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
All of them.
Agree.
#33 Posted by TDK_1997 (14704 posts) - - Show Bio

Storm,Rogue,Wolverine

#34 Posted by RoboShark (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel Sinister was too upbeat and playful in most of his parts in Uncanny X-men.

#35 Posted by Purgy (419 posts) - - Show Bio

I rather they did that when they broke them up.

#36 Posted by RoboShark (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

At the end he really showed his true character. Mr. I will fucking kill Scott Summers and all he loves. After I mess with them.

#37 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3531 posts) - - Show Bio

Rachel, Nate, Magneto, Storm and Xavier. Psylocke has been inconsistent between storylines, as well. I say throw Rachel and Nate into the retcon machine - sadly, Hope (and the current trajectory of the X-Men) makes them irrelevant.

#38 Posted by Cosmic_Hobo (60 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually like a lot of the changes that seem to bug people. Having Gambit and Rogue get back together again would just be so boring. We've seen it done so many times, and will no doubt see it again in the future. I'd rather they permanently moved on. And I don't mind what's been done with Hellion either. He had some awesome character growth throughout new x-men, but I find his regression back to an angry jerk fairly in line with who he is, deep down.

I don't think Xavier's been written particularly badly, I think he's just no longer relevant. Same with Magneto really, I wish they'd get rid of them both, they've had their time, kill them off, permanently. As it stands I just know in a few years time we'll have Xavier back in charge of the x-men and Magneto as their main adversary... 50 years of the x-men and we're going to be back where it started. Lame

I do wish more would be done with Rachel and Nate, and that Hope would be less...meh, just less.

#39 Posted by poisonfleur (3029 posts) - - Show Bio

@royale_with_cheese said:

@poisonfleur said:

-Rachel. It seems Jean Grey's replacement got replaced by Hope. Jeez it must suck to be a fill in that go filled in.

Hahaha this is true. She came back from space with the Starjammers to be thrown into development limbo. Sucks to be anyone with the last name "Grey".

SO TRUE!^

#40 Posted by RogueOracle (242 posts) - - Show Bio

I miss the good old days when the X-Men were a family.There numbers may be dwindling, but in the long run it's family that sticks together. I miss the the 90s X-Men.

#41 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio
@RogueOracle said:

I miss the good old days when the X-Men were a family.There numbers may be dwindling, but in the long run it's family that sticks together. I miss the the 90s X-Men.

Me too. I don't like the way that the X-Men just split up and have been tense towards each other for over a decade now. I want to see the X-Men back together again and actually treat each other like a family again.
#42 Posted by RogueOracle (242 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog: Same. I'm tired of most of the X-Men treating each other like acquaintances rather than family. They used to work as a family unit. Now, the tension and differences have gotten so big they are divided.

#43 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio
@RogueOracle said:

@Rabbitearsblog: Same. I'm tired of most of the X-Men treating each other like acquaintances rather than family. They used to work as a family unit. Now, the tension and differences have gotten so big they are divided.

Yeah, I can't believe that Marvel would let this happen so fast.
#44 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Well at least Marvel is trying with Storm these days "assuming that this is their attempt at try". Cyclops is becoming more and more evil lol. Gambit needs alot of work. Rouge needs to go back to her witty Ba confident self. Magneto I don't even know where to start. Most of them are a complete mess honestly.

#45 Posted by Purgy (419 posts) - - Show Bio

I so agree with this post. I rather Magneto go back to a more Anti-Hero Vibe. Put Gambit and Rogue to a more Friend status and have them both go a more sperate path. And for Gambit i would love to see more devolopement, like his parents, the whole old kingdom arc, and his heritage.

#46 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio
@Blood1991 said:

Well at least Marvel is trying with Storm these days "assuming that this is their attempt at try". Cyclops is becoming more and more evil lol. Gambit needs alot of work. Rouge needs to go back to her witty Ba confident self. Magneto I don't even know where to start. Most of them are a complete mess honestly.

I agree. It's a wonder how almost all of these X-Men characters were once written so well and all of a sudden, they are written so terribly.
#47 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio
@lykopis said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@RogueOracle said:

@Rabbitearsblog: Same. I'm tired of most of the X-Men treating each other like acquaintances rather than family. They used to work as a family unit. Now, the tension and differences have gotten so big they are divided.

Yeah, I can't believe that Marvel would let this happen so fast.

That is what really gets under my skin with the whole Schism thing. You had everyone backing up everyone, never giving up on each other (for the most part) and suddenly there is Wolverine and Cyclops' scrapping it out with the kiddos watching, getting all emotional over the dreaded "J" person.

Ugh.

Stop it already and get back to how things were. This is a mistreatment of all the X-Men.

Exactly! Why can't Marvel just leave these characters alone?
#48 Posted by eduldem (1 posts) - - Show Bio
Column HeadColumn HeadColumn HeadColumn Head

For me it has to be Magik. She's been through a lot, and usually the writers showed that...specially before she had her soul back. Now in UXM she's portrayed like an afraid little girl and if she's lucky to get any lines, they're always in relation to her brother. I preferred the times when she was a stonecold, souless bitch TBH.

#49 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio
@eduldem said:
Column HeadColumn HeadColumn HeadColumn Head












For me it has to be Magik. She's been through a lot, and usually the writers showed that...specially before she had her soul back. Now in UXM she's portrayed like an afraid little girl and if she's lucky to get any lines, they're always in relation to her brother. I preferred the times when she was a stonecold, souless bitch TBH.

I agree that Magik has been written badly or in a boring way lately. It's like it's hard for the writers to portray Magik as anything else other than being cold and heartless.
#50 Posted by arcano_19 (118 posts) - - Show Bio

emma frost should come back to the mansion where she belongs as a teacher she is just cyclops shadow now she is barely the character she used to be.

hope summer is th winner on this tread

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.