Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Where to start reading, following Jean Grey & Scarlet Witch

AmeliePoptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I grew up with the animated series, and loved the original trilogy. Aside from that, and select wiki pages I have read, that is the most knowledge I have on the X-Men universe.

For years I have wanted to get into the comics. But, given how expansive the series is, I don't know where to begin. Like, the comics started in the 1960s, was "rebooted" in the 80s; there are alternate universes, stand alones, crossovers with the Avengers... So many, and I don't necessarily know what is intertextually related.

I mainly want to follow Jean Grey (including the Dark Phoenix saga), maybe including Rachel Summers, and stuff with Scarlet Witch. So, what are the best issues to read? Someone suggested Uncanny X-Men vol 2, but not vol 1? Would I be lost if I just started with Joss's Astonishing X-Men (2004)? Can Endsong and Warsong be read standalone?

Also, if possible, I want to buy complete works (so, single issues compiled into one). If people can link via Bookdepository, that would be swell (y)

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ameliepoptart: Hmm I think for Jean I would start with the Phoenix Saga then jump to the original X-factor after that.

Following that she doesn't do to much except for get married during the 90s. And I forget the name of the mini series with her, Scott and Cable, but the best character stuff post 80s might be Morrisons New X-men hands down.

Whedon run isn't at all necessary for Jean. But following Morrison War song and Endsong are next

Idk why someone would tell you to read Uncanny v2 for Jean, but if your looking for a starting n point for current X - books that an ok place to start. And Whedons run is a great read as well though it's part of a list of team books that's recommended for getting into modern x-men.

AmeliePoptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays I'm confused - I thought the Phoenix saga was connected with Whedon's Astonishing X-Men (or does that not include War song and Endsong?)

I'm reading Gifted, but there are references to things like Jean's death and Emma Frost as a villain :/ Is there something I should read BEFORE this?

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PhoenixoftheTides

Jean was one of the original team members, and she's been with the team for years, so luckily for you, it should be pretty easy and inexpensive. It's much less expensive to just go with the omnibus versions of the stories, but these often don't have color, though they are the best value (http://www.comicvine.com/essential-x-men/4050-21196/).

1) Dark Phoenix Saga/Jean gets a power boost and drops old code name: Pick up the "Dark Phoenix Saga" graphic novel; beautiful art and a well-told story, or you could pick up Essential X-Men Vol. 2 (once again, Jean appears in some of the stories, but not all, but it's often more important to know when a character wasn't with the team and when they were) - this is the less expensive way of getting more familiar with her background and it's in color, so I think it's worth the price of either. If you love this era, you should try to find the "Phoenix Saga", which is more superhero-oriented and has less to do with the cosmic deity - harder to find these issues, but an omnibus should have them. This is the quintessential storyline for her, since writers revisit it ad nauseum.

2) X-Factor/Jean's Resurrection and Inferno: Pick up Essential X-Men volume 8 for her time during X-Factor n incl. parts of the Inferno storyline that wrapped up a number of loose ends with Jean and Madelyne Pryor (should be able to get this for $15); the "Inferno" omnibus has more of a focus on Jean & X-Factor's role in the events, but is harder to find. This eases you into the setup into the modern version we are more familiar with.

3) 90's era Jean/member of the Gold Strike Force, target of Mr. Sinister, etc: Really, after the above, the sky is the limit - you could pick up "X-Cutioner's Song", Jim Lee's "X-Men" vol. 2 from 1991, etc. The former is more focused on her and Cyclops, and the latter sets up an era of the X-Men with her as a member where they were Marvel's stars.

4) Jean's transition to headmistress/comfortable with power boost: Pick up "New X-Men" v. 1 by Morrison. This is the most important story in the last decade or so in that she dies again, the PF makes another appearance, it features a continuation of a number of stories in which Jean was a major part, and etc. Seriously, Morrison may have some crazy ideas but he gives all of his characters, including the women, something to do.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PhoenixoftheTides

@ameliepoptart: In terms of Scarlet Witch, you are going to have a harder time - she's another senior figure in Marvel, but Wanda hasn't had that many "big" stories. You could pick up "Bloodties", "Avengers Disassembled", "House of M", "Young Avengers: Children's Crusade", and "AvX". She was a major figure during "West Coast Avengers" but this would have to be sampled as an omnibus/Essentials Avengers and the other stories I mentioned can be found as graphic novels/omnibus collections.

Unfortunately, I don't recall any "major" Wanda and Vision stories; that was more of a running sub-plot, while they had a mini-series and at various points in time, Vision was destroyed/restarted/reprogrammed and the Avengers books did touch on her dealing with this, but they haven't been massive story arcs.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jean was one of the original team members, and she's been with the team for years, so luckily for you, it should be pretty easy and inexpensive. It's much less expensive to just go with the omnibus versions of the stories, but these often don't have color, though they are the best value (http://www.comicvine.com/essential-x-men/4050-21196/).

1) Dark Phoenix Saga/Jean gets a power boost and drops old code name: Pick up the "Dark Phoenix Saga" graphic novel; beautiful art and a well-told story, or you could pick up Essential X-Men Vol. 2 (once again, Jean appears in some of the stories, but not all, but it's often more important to know when a character wasn't with the team and when they were) - this is the less expensive way of getting more familiar with her background and it's in color, so I think it's worth the price of either. If you love this era, you should try to find the "Phoenix Saga", which is more superhero-oriented and has less to do with the cosmic deity - harder to find these issues, but an omnibus should have them. This is the quintessential storyline for her, since writers revisit it ad nauseum.

2) X-Factor/Jean's Resurrection and Inferno: Pick up Essential X-Men volume 8 for her time during X-Factor n incl. parts of the Inferno storyline that wrapped up a number of loose ends with Jean and Madelyne Pryor (should be able to get this for $15); the "Inferno" omnibus has more of a focus on Jean & X-Factor's role in the events, but is harder to find. This eases you into the setup into the modern version we are more familiar with.

3) 90's era Jean/member of the Gold Strike Force, target of Mr. Sinister, etc: Really, after the above, the sky is the limit - you could pick up "X-Cutioner's Song", Jim Lee's "X-Men" vol. 2 from 1991, etc. The former is more focused on her and Cyclops, and the latter sets up an era of the X-Men with her as a member where they were Marvel's stars.

4) Jean's transition to headmistress/comfortable with power boost: Pick up "New X-Men" v. 1 by Morrison. This is the most important story in the last decade or so in that she dies again, the PF makes another appearance, it features a continuation of a number of stories in which Jean was a major part, and etc. Seriously, Morrison may have some crazy ideas but he gives all of his characters, including the women, something to do.

No Caption Provided

@ameliepoptart yea basically all this is what you need for jean

though after New X-men the next thing is War and End songs and she doesn't appear again until All New X-Men

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@phoenixofthetides said:

No Caption Provided

@ameliepoptart yea basically all this is what you need for jean

though after New X-men the next thing is War and End songs and she doesn't appear again until All New X-Men

as a jean grey fan, love all-new x-men. After avx fiasco, i was going to quit x-men then bendis brought the o5 to the present equals trouble for all like Battle of the Atom.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.