Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Where to begin X-men (I know I read a list somewhere)

shinneh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Firstly, I apologize for this thread as I know at least three others exist that answer my question. Problem is I can't find them for some reason. I am wanting to begin the X-men comics. I remember it was suggested to start with Giant Sized X-men 1 and then move onto a list of others. Would someone be able to re-enlighten me on this? I know I don't -have- to start at the beginning, but I am a fan of a good story.

I know I read a thread around here that suggested Giant Sized X-men, a number of volumes after that, and then a few graphic novels.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@shinneh: try this:

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/oldnightcrawler/lists/essential-x-men-reading/48968/

(or this)

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/oldnightcrawler/lists/non-essential-yet-awesome-x-men-stories/48978/

shinneh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Many thanks oldnightcrawler, both lists were very helpful. At least it helped me remember where to start and what's important.

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler's lists are very helpful. i personally started with claremonts run and loved it since it is the most iconic xmen run. but it is extremely long and getting pretty dated.

if you just want to catch up on current events. i say read:

Morrison's run

then astonishing (the sequel to morrisons)

house of M

messiah trilogy

avx (you could even start at avx)

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@oldnightcrawler's lists are very helpful. i personally started with claremonts run and loved it since it is the most iconic xmen run. but it is extremely long and getting pretty dated.

yeah, I know.

Generally I would only suggest as far back as Whedon's run (it may be a sequel, but it's still a good place to start) unless someone was specifically looking for something newer or older, but the OP made it sound like he wanted to start at the beginning even if he didn't have to, so a list just gives him the highlights to look out for.

@shinneh said:

Many thanks oldnightcrawler, both lists were very helpful. At least it helped me remember where to start and what's important.

my pleasure :v

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.