Where is Mutant kind headed?

#1 Posted by Imperius_Rex (452 posts) - - Show Bio

As a majority I suppose can anyone call this?

#2 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

They didn't have much of a future to begin with, one of the weird things about AVX is that Scott didn't go out of his way to try and create or give mutants back their powers. WATX brings back the school concept, so for mutants the last decade in Marvel has just made less of them and ultimately made Wolverine the new Professor X. Uncanny and Legacy are being cancelled so unless Ororo is taking over Utopia "X-Men is still going to be ongoing through Marvel now" I see the majority of that cast joining Wolverine's school.

#3 Posted by Imperius_Rex (452 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

They didn't have much of a future to begin with, one of the weird things about AVX is that Scott didn't go out of his way to try and create or give mutants back their powers. WATX brings back the school concept, so for mutants the last decade in Marvel has just made less of them and ultimately made Wolverine the new Professor X. Uncanny and Legacy are being cancelled so unless Ororo is taking over Utopia "X-Men is still going to be ongoing through Marvel now" I see the majority of that cast joining Wolverine's school.

sounds rough.

#4 Posted by ripcurl (535 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991:

I think if the mutant population is gonna get re-powered, it'll happen near the end of the event.

#5 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@ripcurl said:

@Blood1991:

I think if the mutant population is gonna get re-powered, it'll happen near the end of the event.

If Uncanny wasn't being cancelled I would consider it, but I can't see them doing that with only WATX as the leading X-title "to many characters" I could see them slowly start reappearing, but not all at once. Still something to consider though.

#6 Posted by Imperius_Rex (452 posts) - - Show Bio

I really wish uxm would stick around its kind of a slap in the face of the classics WatX could have gone away

#7 Posted by God_Spawn (38102 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: I think it might be one of the payoffs at the end, or, just something Scott hasn't mentioned, would be that if they repower the mutant population, you get all the baddies with it as well. The former from a story standpoint seems like the logical as far as the event goes, but the latter is me just probably reaching considering Scott seemed like he was going to repower the mutant population from the beginning. Just my 2 cents.

#8 Posted by Illuminatus (9510 posts) - - Show Bio

Mutant kind is headed for a massive revitalizing. Seriously, I'm astounded it's taken the Einstein's over at Marvel to realize, "Umm, crap, we've gotten ourselves into quite the debacle with all the nonsensical events and tribulations we've put this lot through. Maybe it's time we...kinda start fresh."

#9 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@Blood1991: I think it might be one of the payoffs at the end, or, just something Scott hasn't mentioned, would be that if they repower the mutant population, you get all the baddies with it as well. The former from a story standpoint seems like the logical as far as the event goes, but the latter is me just probably reaching considering Scott seemed like he was going to repower the mutant population from the beginning. Just my 2 cents.

I always appreciate your 2 cents lol. Yeah creating peace on Earth seemed like the next step in Scott's plan, giving mutants back their powers seemed to be skipped. Still I think the less mutants thing is something that Marvel wants to keep going into their new innovative. Fusing the Avengers with the X-Men seems to be the next big theme. Personally with all the big events bringing everyone together for at least three months out of the year, I don't see Marvel Now as such a huge change.

#10 Posted by One_Eye (783 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

@god_spawn said:

I always appreciate your 2 cents lol. Yeah creating peace on Earth seemed like the next step in Scott's plan, giving mutants back their powers seemed to be skipped. Still I think the less mutants thing is something that Marvel wants to keep going into their new innovative. Fusing the Avengers with the X-Men seems to be the next big theme. Personally with all the big events bringing everyone together for at least three months out of the year, I don't see Marvel Now as such a huge change.

If mutants aren't repowered and the status quo stays the same then AvX would've been for naught. I just can't buy there being nothing good coming out of this for the mutant population. Otherwise, the only purpose that the event served was to further demonized Scott, stroke Wolverine, and further push the Avengers.

#11 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33899 posts) - - Show Bio
@One_Eye said:

@Blood1991 said:

@god_spawn said:

If mutants aren't repowered and the status quo stays the same then AvX would've been for naught. I just can't buy there being nothing good coming out of this for the mutant population. Otherwise, the only purpose that the event served was to further demonized Scott, stroke Wolverine, and further push the Avengers.

The idea behind AvX is not to repower all the mutants but to brake the barrier between mutants/superhuman's, instead of them being separate Marvel wants them all in one neat little package 
#12 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1336 posts) - - Show Bio

You expected otherwise all you have to do is look at the past marvel "events".

#13 Posted by Hareil0079 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

I agree with most of what you say. I just don't see it happening right after the event. I'm sure it'll come with time. If anything though I wouldn't be surprised that some will become new villains or return to being villains, others will go into hiding for a while. I'm sure though a lot of X-men will migrate to Storms direction more so than Wolverines.

#14 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the AvX event will obviously bring unity to the Avengers and X-Men as they battle to stop the Phoenix 5.

But I think the Mutants will find a lot more stability and acceptance.

#15 Posted by pwnda (59 posts) - - Show Bio

I was stated that AvX will definitively put an end to House of M/ Messiah complex, war, second coming and Avengers Disassembled story lines so Marvel Now can be started with a whole clean slate, it kind of sounds like mutants would get repowered and go back to normal, I am really getting the feeling I wont be happy with how AvX is going to end

#16 Posted by Daycrawler (554 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

I've been assuming that the P5 haven't repowered the mutant population for one of two reasons. Either they intended to reshape the world into a peaceful and plentiful utopia first before repowerment (fix the house, then get the people in kinda idea) and have been side-tracked / delayed by the Avengers - OR - because the Phoenix has been fragmented into 5 pieces and now inhabits 5 essentially random hosts it has certain limitations. Perhaps only a unified Phoenix in it's intended host (Hope) can repower mutantkind?

#17 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

With Uncanny Avengers being the main title of Marvel Now i'm betting that the mutant population will be revitalized. Think about it, would Captain America assemble a new team to help just the 200 mutants that are left even though they are all at Utopia/Jean Grey School and have the undivided protection from the x-men?

#18 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Daycrawler said:

@god_spawn said:

I've been assuming that the P5 haven't repowered the mutant population for one of two reasons. Either they intended to reshape the world into a peaceful and plentiful utopia first before repowerment (fix the house, then get the people in kinda idea) and have been side-tracked / delayed by the Avengers - OR - because the Phoenix has been fragmented into 5 pieces and now inhabits 5 essentially random hosts it has certain limitations. Perhaps only a unified Phoenix in it's intended host (Hope) can repower mutantkind?

That is what I'm thinking. It's very convenient that her powers synch with other mutant's abilities; if she gave fragments of the Phoenix to all the mutants in the world who wanted their powers back, she could do it combining her abilities with Phoenix's nigh-reality alteration.

#19 Posted by Skaddix (3117 posts) - - Show Bio

At minimum, the x-gene has to be reactivated to some extent for their to be a future.

#20 Posted by Hareil0079 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

Post AvX: mutant kind will go into hiding.

#21 Posted by Nightcrawler23 (775 posts) - - Show Bio

@Madame_Mist said:

I think the AvX event will obviously bring unity to the Avengers and X-Men as they battle to stop the Phoenix 5.

But I think the Mutants will find a lot more stability and acceptance.

I hope they don't. X-books have always fared better when mutants were hated and feared. I think that they should get rid of the new mutants/new x-men characters (I'm not saying "kill them", but maybe separate them from the school or have them appear in supporting roles once in a while) and go back to the days where Xavier led the X-Men and there were only 8-12 mutants at the school.

#22 Posted by Teerack (7058 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully mutants will stop identifying themselves as mutants like morons and just be normal super humans so that everyone doesn't hate them by default.

#23 Posted by samuel_larson_10 (283 posts) - - Show Bio

the point of AvX is to attract attention (two hugely popular teams fighting? Sounds strangely like a cash register) after this they will do the reboot, (which will create outrage from many fans "old marvel was better!!!" and the comic newbies will be like "This is awesome!!!!) and then they will have a fresh start.

#24 Posted by imperial90 (53 posts) - - Show Bio

Whatever happens I really hope it's not the X-men and Avengers hold hands with each other and live happily ever after till the next marvel event puts a wedge in it. God that would be so cliche, yet I have a terrible feeling that that is exactly whats going to happen what with this whole weird Spider Man training Hope thing.....

#25 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Teerack said:

Hopefully mutants will stop identifying themselves as mutants like morons and just be normal super humans so that everyone doesn't hate them by default.

Yes. I'm honestly ready for them to stop trying to make mutants into an allegory of the ills of society. Just go ahead, make them superhumans, and deal with the very real -isms that still exist in the world without this story line. Even the FF were feared by certain people because of their powers so it's not like other superhumans are completely accepted, anyway.

#26 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

They're heading to Bendisland.

In other words, they're completely f*cked.

#27 Posted by CrimsonCake (2679 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm kind of hoping the mutant kind will be saved without having something tragic happening to one of the characters.

#28 Posted by Rickbarry (1815 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrock85: *Rimshot* Heyooooo.

#29 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2899 posts) - - Show Bio

I want every member of the X-Men to die...

Hear me out!

We need a new team. I'm thinking the last of mutant kind as well.

#30 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio
@CrimsonCake said:

I'm kind of hoping the mutant kind will be saved without having something tragic happening to one of the characters.

I agree. Every time mutant kind is saved, somebody has to die, which is something I never liked.
#31 Posted by Powerzone789 (430 posts) - - Show Bio

AvX was the nail to the coffin, cyclops made a huge mistake with the phoenix force and enforcing "world peace". as soon as this all blows over, im sure mutant kind will be looked upon with even more fear and hate. taking down the avengers over and over again isn't good rep for the x-men, i believe bishop's future isn't far off unless a drastic change is made

#32 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

I do not think i will care after AVX. I honestly cannot look at the X-men ( or the avengers) the same way anymore.

#33 Posted by Imperius_Rex (452 posts) - - Show Bio

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Hear me out!

I love the X-Men, It would be rough but I think I could go for that actually!

I have thought of that, would be interesting...Marvel would just wish em back somehow ha!

#34 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio
@x_29 said:

I do not think i will care after AVX. I honestly cannot look at the X-men ( or the avengers) the same way anymore.

I agree. It's going to be hard to look at either team the same way again unless they do something astonishing.
#35 Posted by Hareil0079 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

@x_29 said:

Ditto, and I bet it'll be the feelings of the citizens in the MU more on the outlook of the Avengers rather than the mutants where the idea of them being killed and hunted will be even more enforced.

#36 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2899 posts) - - Show Bio

@Imperius_Rex said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Hear me out!

I have thought of that, would be interesting...Marvel would just wish em back somehow ha!

Marvel needs to do something extreme and this seems like the only solution. I never understood the discrimination towards mutants in a world where every other person has super powers. The idea is outdated and i'm tired of Marvel's complete lack of consistency. Remember when the world was new to mutantkind? THOSE WERE THE GLORY DAYS!

#37 Posted by One_Eye (783 posts) - - Show Bio

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@Imperius_Rex said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Hear me out!

Marvel needs to do something extreme and this seems like the only solution. I never understood the discrimination towards mutants in a world where every other person has super powers. The idea is outdated and i'm tired of Marvel's complete lack of consistency. Remember when the world was new to mutantkind? THOSE WERE THE GLORY DAYS!

Y'know that's why I miss what Grant Morrison was doing in that he made mutants part of the mainstream, he made it cool to be a mutant. He wrote mutants so that not every single one of them had combat-grade abilities and were rather weird and bizarre. I'm not looking forward to the aftermath myself. At first I was really digging this whole plot twist with the P5 but now it's just devolved into another predictable mess.

#38 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

@One_Eye said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@Imperius_Rex said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Hear me out!

Y'know that's why I miss what Grant Morrison was doing in that he made mutants part of the mainstream, he made it cool to be a mutant. He wrote mutants so that not every single one of them had combat-grade abilities and were rather weird and bizarre. I'm not looking forward to the aftermath myself. At first I was really digging this whole plot twist with the P5 but now it's just devolved into another predictable mess.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I thought AvX would have gotten better after the P5 plot, but it seems to fall a bit now.

#39 Posted by Jeanniebird (115 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, with every issue I read I always get the feeling that I won't like the outcome of this event. Though I must say that I wouldn't like all mutants to be repowered either. They would be hypocrites if they did that. Moreover, Marvel did come up with the whole decimation idea because they had to many superpowered individuals in their universe. They would have the same problem all over again if all mutants are repowered.

#40 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jeanniebird said:

Well, with every issue I read I always get the feeling that I won't like the outcome of this event. Though I must say that I wouldn't like all mutants to be repowered either. They would be hypocrites if they did that. Moreover, Marvel did come up with the whole decimation idea because they had to many superpowered individuals in their universe. They would have the same problem all over again if all mutants are repowered.

I think I'm over the entire premise of mutants. In a world where there are so many superhumans, mutants would just be one of a number of ways to obtain powers.

#41 Posted by CrimsonCake (2679 posts) - - Show Bio

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

I think I'm over the entire premise of mutants. In a world where there are so many superhumans, mutants would just be one of a number of ways to obtain powers.

Exactly,there are bunch of heroes that have powers but aren't mutants but yet people aren't afraid of him/her.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.