Where do I start reading X-Men

#1 Posted by Irishlad (573 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm fairly new to comics and X-Men has always interested me but I'm not sure where to start.

People have suggested Astonishing X-Men but there is so much X-Men history I feel like I'm missing out.

I have read x factor and it's one of my favourite series but it is disconnected in a way to the X-universe.

So do you have any suggestions on where to start reading so I can be caught up to speed with current X-books or any essential reads?

if you do thanks a lot I really appreciate it.

#2 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

astonishing x-men 1-25#

The run is easy and fun. It's just cyclops leading his team to fight bad guys. Nothing complicated.

#3 Posted by Dman1366 (616 posts) - - Show Bio

@Irishlad: get the TPB's on Morrison New-Xmen, Whedons Astonishing, House of M, Messiah Complex, Second Coming, Schism, Regenises, and Wolverine and the X-Men and Uncanny Xmen. That should get you caught up currently.

#4 Posted by Werupenstein (37 posts) - - Show Bio

I think pretty much everything from Giant-Size X-Men #1, X-Men #94 through to the end of the Inferno crossover Uncanny X-Men #243 is essential to what the characters are today.

If you just want to pick and choose, Giant-Size X-Men #1, X-Men #94 thorugh to X-Men #138 would be the very best stuff

then Uncanny X-Men #210 to Uncanny X-Men #213

Uncanny X-Men #225 to Uncanny X-Men #243

Everything past 210 are the big events, Mutant Massacre, Fall of the Mutants and Inferno that really changed the team into basically what it is now.

I don't know if there is anyway to get the backup stories from Classic X-Men, but they are some of the best X-men character development stories ever told.

#5 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

Go on Marvels website and use their "Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited" it lets you read almost all marvel comics up to a certain point i.e. they've only just started putting fear itself on there. It costs about $6 for one month and you can read all of the comics online, all the essentials are on there like messiah Complex, Second Coming and Astonishing. This was how I got into the x-men comics and it's definitely cheaper than buying tons of graphic novels. The MDCU has thousands of comics not just x-men but everything from Avengers to Young Avengers.

I'd recommend starting with Grant Morrissons New X-men.

#6 Posted by Irishlad (573 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dman1366

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.