Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Where do I start?

Kage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kage

Recently, I just got back into x-men and picked up supernova, followed by blinded by the light. My question is what tpbs came before it that are essential to the storyline? If you all could help, I'd be extremely grateful!

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Pania

House of M.

Then Messiah CompleX.
    Post Edited:2008-03-24 18:12:35

Mr. Fahrenheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mr. Fahrenheit

I wouldn't bother trying to find the issues for anyof those either. I tired and it is WAY esier to the TPBs on those and Decimation too. And if you are just getting back into it New X-Men (Grant Morrisons) are a really good place to get back in.

The Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By The Enigma

Mr. Fahrenheit says:

"I wouldn't bother trying to find the issues for anyof those either. I tired and it is WAY esier to the TPBs on those and Decimation too. And if you are just getting back into it New X-Men (Grant Morrisons) are a really good place to get back in."

New X-Men (Morisson) is irrelevant now. You need to start after M-Day with something like X-Factor, or Adjectiveless (Supernovas and Blinded by the light are great). You should get Deadly Genesis and Uncanny Also.

Basically all recent releases are pretty easy to get into and to start; anything released after HOM start with decimation. I would recomend Carey's X-Men, Brubaker's Uncanny, and David's X-Factor

Get Hardcovers or TPBs as the back issues are hard to get.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mr. Fahrenheit

The Enigma says:

"Mr. Fahrenheit says:
    "I wouldn't bother trying to find the issues for anyof those either. I tired and it is WAY esier to the TPBs on those and Decimation too. And if you are just getting back into it New X-Men (Grant Morrisons) are a really good place to get back in."
    New X-Men (Morisson) is irrelevant now. You need to start after M-Day with something like X-Factor, or Adjectiveless (Supernovas and Blinded by the light are great). You should get Deadly Genesis and Uncanny Also. Basically all recent releases are pretty easy to get into and to start; anything released after HOM start with decimation. I would recomend Carey's X-Men, Brubaker's Uncanny, and David's X-Factor Get Hardcovers or TPBs as the back issues are hard to get. "

It isn't irrealavant, it is some of the best writing in recent years. The art is ok but the writing is Epic!

The Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The Enigma

Mr. Fahrenheit says:

"The Enigma says:
    "Mr. Fahrenheit says:
    New X-Men (Morisson) is irrelevant now. You need to start after M-Day with something like X-Factor, or Adjectiveless (Supernovas and Blinded by the light are great). You should get Deadly Genesis and Uncanny Also. Basically all recent releases are pretty easy to get into and to start; anything released after HOM start with decimation. I would recomend Carey's X-Men, Brubaker's Uncanny, and David's X-Factor Get Hardcovers or TPBs as the back issues are hard to get. "
    It isn't irrealavant, it is some of the best writing in recent years. The art is ok but the writing is Epic!"

No. Morrison f*^"ed up the X- Universe by making such big changes; wth was Xorn about and then he had to kill Jean. At the same time nothing from that time is worth picking up as Chuck Austin's Uncanny was just as poor.

Morrison truly did mucky up the X-Universe and it took the M-Day to correct such a mess, and get rid of all of the uneeded mutants: he made too many mutants and basically created a separate culture. The whole concept of the mutant race is that it is threatened and it faces persecution; when you have millions of mutants then they aren't as threatened anymore. Most of the mutants he created were boring freaks anyway (except Dust and Omega Kid).

Stick with books after M-Day.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mr. Fahrenheit

Morrison allways has written realavant work and the idea of a mutant culture makes sense. Plus didn't he kill off a ---- ton of them in genosha? On top of that Xorn never realy exsisted till someone else messed it up.

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Pania

Mr. Fahrenheit says:

"Morrison allways has written realavant work and the idea of a mutant culture makes sense. Plus didn't he kill off a ---- ton of them in genosha? On top of that Xorn never realy exsisted till someone else messed it up. "

Well, that was kind of his problem with "mutant culture". He went a wiped out the place where a mutant culture would actually exist. He tried to equate a mutant subculture with a gay subculture, ignoring one big fact. The gay subculture has been around for a couple thousand years. It didn't just pop up overnight. Developing in the midst of a dominant human culture, a mutant subculture would have taken generations to form.

Now isolated on Genosha, the mutants would have been forced to develop their own culture. But Morrison decided it would be better to just wipe them all out and then artificially inflate the number of mutants worldwide instead to explore a topic that wouldn't exist and that Morrison clearly did not understand.

Which forced the editors to create M-Day to cut down on the massive numbers of mutants Morrison left behind.

And Morrison had no f-ing clue who Magneto was. He even said in an interview that his Magneto was just Morrison pitching a fit about Ian McKellen's portrayal of the character in the movies. Planet X should have never gone to press and I'm glad they retconned it.

Post Edited:2008-04-25 23:08:50

The Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The Enigma

Pania says:

"Mr. Fahrenheit says:
    "Morrison allways has written realavant work and the idea of a mutant culture makes sense. Plus didn't he kill off a ---- ton of them in genosha? On top of that Xorn never realy exsisted till someone else messed it up. "
    Well, that was kind of his problem with "mutant culture". He went a wiped out the place where a mutant culture would actually exist. He tried to equate a mutant subculture with a gay subculture, ignoring one big fact. The gay subculture has been around for a couple thousand years. It didn't just pop up overnight. Developing in the midst of a dominant human culture, a mutant subculture would have taken generations to form. Now isolated on Genosha, the mutants would have been forced to develop their own culture. But Morrison decided it would be better to just wipe them all out and then artificially inflate the number of mutants worldwide instead to explore a topic that wouldn't exist and that Morrison clearly did not understand. Which forced the editors to create M-Day to cut down on the massive numbers of mutants Morrison left behind. And Morrison had no f-ing clue who Magneto was. He even said in an interview that his Magneto was just Morrison pitching a fit about Ian McKellen's portrayal of the character in the movies. Planet X should have never gone to press and I'm glad they retconned it.
    Post Edited:2008-04-25 23:08:50"

Agreed!

If you are going to get any X-books get those set after M-day.

Blazing Eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Blazing Eagle

i'm a pretty open mind type of guy so a subculture becoming a culture only seems like natural progression to me, like look at the population of latinos for example, they were once consider a subculture or even a counterculture, now it is predicted that in the next 15 years Latinos will be the dominant race, They are already the number one minority group.

Ok enough about latinos I just used that to illustrate a natural progression of a race or culture group.

To answer Kage's question: Where to start. I would start back with House of M: and Messiah Complex only because majority of the upcoming storylines will stem from there.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.