When do you think all the current events will be retconned?

#1 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio

When do you think that the current events that the X-Men went through (Utopia, Messiah Complex, Second Coming, Schism, Avengers vs. X-Men, Civil War) will be retconned? Marvel tends to retcon certain stories over a period of time (the history of the Phoenix Force being a prime example), so I definitely wouldn't be surprised if half of the events that happened recently will be retconned a few years in the future. I give it about 10 years before Marvel decides to retcon the X-Men universe and do something different with it. So, how many years do you think it would take for Marvel to retcon all of the current X-Men events and what current events do you think might hold up in the future story arcs?

#2 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3631 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel rarely does hard recons, but if any get retconned, it will probably happen over 5-10 years in shifts with new stories introduced to undermine character motivations and etc. Scarlet Witch's actions during "House of M" have already had a soft retcon with the intro of the Life Force/Whatever and her misuse being a result of Dr. Doom. "House of M" occurred during 2005-2010 and "Children's Crusade" ran from 2010-2012. I don't really think the events of "Civil War" really changed the status quo for the long run so I don't think a retcon was necessary.

#3 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

Marvel rarely does hard recons, but if any get retconned, it will probably happen over 5-10 years in shifts with new stories introduced to undermine character motivations and etc. Scarlet Witch's actions during "House of M" have already had a soft retcon with the intro of the Life Force/Whatever and her misuse being a result of Dr. Doom. "House of M" occurred during 2005-2010 and "Children's Crusade" ran from 2010-2012. I don't really think the events of "Civil War" really changed the status quo for the long run so I don't think a retcon was necessary.

I agree with all this, especially with Civil War since certain things with that event (Captain America's death) was just forgotten about over a few months, which made that event kind of pointless from that angle.

#4 Posted by cattlebattle (13410 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably a couple of years. Marvel seems to have a streak of ignoring their own continuity recently anyways.

Online
#5 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

Probably a couple of years. Marvel seems to have a streak of ignoring their own continuity recently anyways.

Yeah, I can see half of the scenes that happened in AvX being ignored in the near future.

#6 Posted by loki100 (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers vs. X-men is going to just be ignored the moment Bendis stops writing the X-men. Bendis's run itself is going to be ignored entirely once the next writer wraps up whatever place Bendis leaves the book in. I can't see Bendis doing anything that any future writers will wish to build on.

#7 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio

@loki100 said:

Avengers vs. X-men is going to just be ignored the moment Bendis stops writing the X-men. Bendis's run itself is going to be ignored entirely once the next writer wraps up whatever place Bendis leaves the book in. I can't see Bendis doing anything that any future writers will wish to build on.

Yeah, I can't really see any future writers having any interest in writing stories about the X-Men in the past coming to the future.

#8 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7303 posts) - - Show Bio

@loki100 said:

Avengers vs. X-men is going to just be ignored the moment Bendis stops writing the X-men. Bendis's run itself is going to be ignored entirely once the next writer wraps up whatever place Bendis leaves the book in. I can't see Bendis doing anything that any future writers will wish to build on.

I like this.

#9 Posted by XsPectre28 (739 posts) - - Show Bio

when the O5 return to the past

#10 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@loki100 said:

Avengers vs. X-men is going to just be ignored the moment Bendis stops writing the X-men. Bendis's run itself is going to be ignored entirely once the next writer wraps up whatever place Bendis leaves the book in. I can't see Bendis doing anything that any future writers will wish to build on.

Yeah, I can't really see any future writers having any interest in writing stories about the X-Men in the past coming to the future.

unless they stick around and become the new status quo. hey, it could happen; they decide they're done with whatever they're doing here now, Beast takes them into the past again only to find that they're from a timeline where Reed Richards never stopped Galactus and now they have no home and the Beast is actually justified in having snatched them in the first place. Anything could happen.

#11 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984 said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@loki100 said:

Avengers vs. X-men is going to just be ignored the moment Bendis stops writing the X-men. Bendis's run itself is going to be ignored entirely once the next writer wraps up whatever place Bendis leaves the book in. I can't see Bendis doing anything that any future writers will wish to build on.

Yeah, I can't really see any future writers having any interest in writing stories about the X-Men in the past coming to the future.

unless they stick around and become the new status quo. hey, it could happen; they decide they're done with whatever they're doing here now, Beast takes them into the past again only to find that they're from a timeline where Reed Richards never stopped Galactus and now they have no home and the Beast is actually justified in having snatched them in the first place. Anything could happen.

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel allowed something like this to happen and they did say that the original 5 were going to be staying around for awhile. I wonder if they will stay in the universe like Rachel Grey and Hope Summers, even though they were from the future? Although, it would be kind of awkward now to have two groups of the original 5 staying in the same universe.

#12 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@dangallant984 said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@loki100 said:

Avengers vs. X-men is going to just be ignored the moment Bendis stops writing the X-men. Bendis's run itself is going to be ignored entirely once the next writer wraps up whatever place Bendis leaves the book in. I can't see Bendis doing anything that any future writers will wish to build on.

Yeah, I can't really see any future writers having any interest in writing stories about the X-Men in the past coming to the future.

unless they stick around and become the new status quo. hey, it could happen; they decide they're done with whatever they're doing here now, Beast takes them into the past again only to find that they're from a timeline where Reed Richards never stopped Galactus and now they have no home and the Beast is actually justified in having snatched them in the first place. Anything could happen.

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel allowed something like this to happen and they did say that the original 5 were going to be staying around for awhile. I wonder if they will stay in the universe like Rachel Grey and Hope Summers, even though they were from the future? Although, it would be kind of awkward now to have two groups of the original 5 staying in the same universe.

I honestly don't see the O5 staying. I mean, they have to go back sometime in order to not seriously mess up the space-time continuum.

#13 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog: well, more like the young O5 and three original members: I wouldn't really count Archangel at this point. and Cyclops is doing his own thing anyway. I kinda like how with Beast and Iceman they alredy feel like their own teen sidekicks.

@tomchu: no, they don't.

#14 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984: Do tell how does that work?

#15 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7303 posts) - - Show Bio

The O5 should just go. Period. Redundant detritus cluttering continuity with paramount irrelevance, acting as if they even need to be here and that their combined presences followed by 60s naivete, will actually make a difference. Lol no.

Just go away.

#16 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu: they're from an alternate universe. We've already seen that Beast doesn't go to the moment that happened in the X-men #8, because if it was the same exact moment, it would have had the same exact dialogue, which it does not.

#17 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984: Oh right. That's awfully cheap, pulling the whole Alternate Universe thing. But yeah, it does make sense...

#18 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@dangallant984 said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@loki100 said:

Avengers vs. X-men is going to just be ignored the moment Bendis stops writing the X-men. Bendis's run itself is going to be ignored entirely once the next writer wraps up whatever place Bendis leaves the book in. I can't see Bendis doing anything that any future writers will wish to build on.

Yeah, I can't really see any future writers having any interest in writing stories about the X-Men in the past coming to the future.

unless they stick around and become the new status quo. hey, it could happen; they decide they're done with whatever they're doing here now, Beast takes them into the past again only to find that they're from a timeline where Reed Richards never stopped Galactus and now they have no home and the Beast is actually justified in having snatched them in the first place. Anything could happen.

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel allowed something like this to happen and they did say that the original 5 were going to be staying around for awhile. I wonder if they will stay in the universe like Rachel Grey and Hope Summers, even though they were from the future? Although, it would be kind of awkward now to have two groups of the original 5 staying in the same universe.

I honestly don't see the O5 staying. I mean, they have to go back sometime in order to not seriously mess up the space-time continuum.

I'm wondering about that too. It would seem so strange to have two Cyclops, two Beasts, etc existing in the same world. I wonder how the stories would be like from then on and would it come to a day where they would replace the current X-Men?

#19 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@tomchu said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@dangallant984 said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@loki100 said:

Avengers vs. X-men is going to just be ignored the moment Bendis stops writing the X-men. Bendis's run itself is going to be ignored entirely once the next writer wraps up whatever place Bendis leaves the book in. I can't see Bendis doing anything that any future writers will wish to build on.

Yeah, I can't really see any future writers having any interest in writing stories about the X-Men in the past coming to the future.

unless they stick around and become the new status quo. hey, it could happen; they decide they're done with whatever they're doing here now, Beast takes them into the past again only to find that they're from a timeline where Reed Richards never stopped Galactus and now they have no home and the Beast is actually justified in having snatched them in the first place. Anything could happen.

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel allowed something like this to happen and they did say that the original 5 were going to be staying around for awhile. I wonder if they will stay in the universe like Rachel Grey and Hope Summers, even though they were from the future? Although, it would be kind of awkward now to have two groups of the original 5 staying in the same universe.

I honestly don't see the O5 staying. I mean, they have to go back sometime in order to not seriously mess up the space-time continuum.

I'm wondering about that too. It would seem so strange to have two Cyclops, two Beasts, etc existing in the same world. I wonder how the stories would be like from then on and would it come to a day where they would replace the current X-Men?

@dangallant984:

If I think about it, they cant be from Alternate Universes, because in All New X-Men #5 when Wolverine suggested whether they should kill Cyclops, he justified it by saying the Professor X would *spontaneously* appear, because no Cyclops = no Xavier death in AvX.

Then again, no Cyclops = Here Comes Tomorrow in Grant Morrison's New X-Men, so killing Cyclops would be kinda stupid (unless someone retconned GM's dystopian future away).

#20 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu: and yet they must be. The scene that occurs in the X-men #8 is the 616 universe, that the dialogue in the scene from All New X-men #1 is different at all, prior to the O5 making contact with Beast, means that this is not really the past of the Beast who has travelled there from the present, because his past is the 616 version of events. That's already happened.

2) I don't have any reason to think that the Wolerine is speaking from any voice of authority on how space-time actually works, even if he is being serious in his threats, he couldn't have ruled out that someone else might have killed Xavier had it not been for the existence of Cyclops as one of his allies for all those years, could he?

3) even if he could, it doesn't matter because I don't think Wolverine would have killed Scott in that scene anyway. I think this is Wolverine making a point to try and scare Scott. Would he actually kill a kid? on the front lawn of his School? Watch Storm in this scene; she doesn't step in until Wolverine has made his point, and only because she doesn't agree with how he made it. It's classic good cop/bad cop.

4) there's no need to retcon stories set in the future, because they haven't happened yet. In a way, they literally never do.

#21 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984:

1) Alternate Dimension Timeline Time-travel... brain hurting. Lets see with Brian Michael Bendis cooks up for us.

2) I don't know. Wolverine's comment then becomes redundant right? Bad writing I guess.

3) http://www.comicvine.com/x-men/65-3173/why-is-wolverine-okay-with-killing-kids/92-740386/#49

There's a heated debate somewhere on the vine for this.

4) Yeah, I guess that makes sense.

#22 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu:

1) haha! okay..

2) well, I read it as though the point of his comment is to effect Scott more than anything, so I don't think so.

3) oh yeah; if you read through that thread, you'll see that I already voiced my understanding of this topic.

4) yeah. but I like that, because it means any of them could happen, and how that might effect how things unfold in whatever stories they set in the present, without being definitive.

#23 Posted by SUNMAN (7265 posts) - - Show Bio

hopefully sooner rather than later

#24 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio

@SUNMAN said:

hopefully sooner rather than later

Yeah, I wouldn't mind if they retconned Schism.

#25 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

Something I'm surprised no one has mentioned is that if/when the O5 go back to their own time, All New X-men could continue to follow their story from that point on, essentially serving as a soft reboot (in at least that title). It wouldn't surprise me at all if that's what they ended up doing..

#26 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984 said:

Something I'm surprised no one has mentioned is that if/when the O5 go back to their own time, All New X-men could continue to follow their story from that point on, essentially serving as a soft reboot (in at least that title). It wouldn't surprise me at all if that's what they ended up doing..

Do you mean that the stories will just follow the O5 when they go back to their timeline and the X-Men universe will start over from there?

#27 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (4216 posts) - - Show Bio

the dark phoenix saga where phoenix posing as jean doesnt kill 5 billion people

#28 Posted by lorex (958 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think Marvel is going to do any whole sale retcons of anything, but as stories and plot ideas are explored different twists and ideas get explored. Reciently one of the results of Avengers vs X-Men is that there are new mutants in the world but they did not undo the M-Day event so mutants that were depowered were not repowered but others that had the mutant gene but their powers had not yet manifested have started to emerge. This was a way aroung M-Day without retconing it. I prefer this method of change in comics rathen than abandoning something cause the writers feel constrained by the past, cough cough DC.

#29 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@dangallant984 said:

Something I'm surprised no one has mentioned is that if/when the O5 go back to their own time, All New X-men could continue to follow their story from that point on, essentially serving as a soft reboot (in at least that title). It wouldn't surprise me at all if that's what they ended up doing..

Do you mean that the stories will just follow the O5 when they go back to their timeline and the X-Men universe will start over from there?

Well, an X-men universe will start from there. I don't see any reason to completely ditch the 616 X-men from their own books, but for the All New X-men to go back and begin again from where they were, but changed.

@HopesummersFORtheFUTURE said:

the dark phoenix saga where phoenix posing as jean doesnt kill 5 billion people

yeah, that sort of thing for example. Given the foresight, maybe Jean could help defeat the Phoenix, or whatever.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.