what's with all the time travel worry?

#1 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

So, I just read All New X-men #5 and, yeah, I'm totally still digging on this story, but there is a thing that's still bugging me.

Why do the X-men (and, apparently, lots of fans) have such a problem with the Beast screwing about with history through time travel?

Isn't that what Kitty did in Days of Future Past? Or what about when Scott and Jean spent their honeymoon raising Cable in the future? or fought Sinister in the past? Or when the X-club went back to the day of Dr.Nemesis' birth and fought the Hellfire Club?

I just don't get why this time everyone who does has such a problem with it. Thoughts?

#2 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1545 posts) - - Show Bio

I have no problem with it at all.

#3 Posted by Vincent92 (261 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984: i think this can have some major effects on the time stream which alter key moments in x-men history like the marriage of jean and scott cause they seem to be playing off the fact that jean is starting grow distant from him now that they know the future

#4 Posted by gridde (91 posts) - - Show Bio

For some reason, this time whatever the original X-Men do in their timeline will effect what happens to the present. So, if any of them die now, the Marvel universe as we know it will change.

Time travel is very complicated and impossible to really pin down, so the writer gets to make up their own rules for it whenever it comes up. I think in all instances of going to the past to change the present, the issue of the risk is always brought up, or the story is so silly and camp that no one (least of all the writers and readers) are really concerned with the potential consequences.

#5 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@gridde said:

For some reason, this time whatever the original X-Men do in their timeline will effect what happens to the present. So, if any of them die now, the Marvel universe as we know it will change.

Time travel is very complicated and impossible to really pin down, so the writer gets to make up their own rules for it whenever it comes up. I think in all instances of going to the past to change the present, the issue of the risk is always brought up, or the story is so silly and camp that no one (least of all the writers and readers) are really concerned with the potential consequences.

yeah, I guess that makes sense.

but why are fans worried? don't the X-men get retconned all the time? the most emotionally impacting moments of the Dark Phoenix Saga were retconned, like, five years later, and it's still considered pretty classic, yeah?

#6 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7303 posts) - - Show Bio

Because this title and the concept behind it is sh*t.

#7 Posted by XsPectre28 (739 posts) - - Show Bio

time travel doesnt effect the current 616 timeline unless the writers are reconning this too. time travel only creates alternate realities the O5 being in the present doesnt change the 616 but when & if they go back they will live in a new alternate timeline

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.