Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Whats so great about Colossus and Shadowcat??

• 65 results
    Avatar image for emequious_swerve
    Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As far as X-Men relationships go, this is not only a very prominent one, but also a fan favorite. I have always wondered why this one is so favored, even to the point where the ever famous "Astonishing X-Men" run of Joss Whedon is heavily built around it.

If you are unaware of the relationships history, Kitty pursued the very shy Colossus, until the two kind of got together, then someone with a brain in editorial said to at the time writer, Chris Claremont "Dude, you can't have some adult dating a little kid." So during the secret wars, Colossus cheats with some alien girl, then Wolverine makes sure Juggernaut pummels him for it in a famous issue of the X-Men, then everyone treats Colossus like and a**hole for a certain number issues. Then the relationship is sort of on and off from that point on.

Honestly, I have never understood the acceptance of the relationship. I mean first and foremost, Colossus at the time was supposed to be somewhere from 18-20, and Shadowcat was introduced as being 13. Now, some laws were a bit different back in the 80s, but still, I am pretty sure that counts as some sort of pedophilia. Also, aside from being two mutants on the X-Men team, what did these two have in common?? Colossus was a shy, gentle giant (who felt the urge to murder some times) whose main attributes were punching and lifting things and taking damage from other heavy hitters, and came from a poverty stricken land where he worked on his families farm. Shadowcat, on the other hand, came from the middle class suburbs where she was a child prodigy that had amazing computer skills and has a primarily defensive ability. I could never really see the connection

Just have always struggled understanding why this relationship is considered X-Men status quo, is it because the writers throw it in our faces perpetually? Or is there really significance in it that I am not seeing??

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By oldnightcrawler

As far as X-Men relationships go, this is not only a very prominent one, but also a fan favorite. I have always wondered why this one is so favored, even to the point where the ever famous "Astonishing X-Men" run of Joss Whedon is heavily built around it.

I think Whedon wrote Astonishing X-Men around it because, as a fan himself, he knew that it was something many long-time X-men fans had always wanted to see. Consider that because Kitty and Colossus were so likable as kids in Claremont's run, and that Whedon himself was a huge Claremont fan (having supposedly based the character of Buffy Summers on Kitty), he knew that there was years of fan speculation and expectation built up. his X-men run is as much an homage to Claremont's run as anything, so it made a lot of sense to re-establish Kitty as the main character.

If you are unaware of the relationships history, Kitty pursued the very shy Colossus, until the two kind of got together, then someone with a brain in editorial said to at the time writer, Chris Claremont "Dude, you can't have some adult dating a little kid." So during the secret wars, Colossus cheats with some alien girl, then Wolverine makes sure Juggernaut pummels him for it in a famous issue of the X-Men, then everyone treats Colossus like and a**hole for a certain number issues. Then the relationship is sort of on and off from that point on.

Sort of. To be fair, I always read it like Colossus was not so much shy as uncomfortable being hit on by such a young girl (I think she was 14, but whatever; he certainly wasn't as shy around Zsaji), and Wolverine was more mad because he felt that Colossus hadn't been sensitive to Kitty's feelings because she was a kid.

And Colossus got himself into that fight with the Juggernaut, Wolverine just got him drunk. After which, Kitty and Colossus resolve to be just friends.

Honestly, I have never understood the acceptance of the relationship. I mean first and foremost, Colossus at the time was supposed to be somewhere from 18-20, and Shadowcat was introduced as being 13. Now, some laws were a bit different back in the 80s, but still, I am pretty sure that counts as some sort of pedophilia. Also, aside from being two mutants on the X-Men team, what did these two have in common?? Colossus was a shy, gentle giant (who felt the urge to murder some times) whose main attributes were punching and lifting things and taking damage from other heavy hitters, and came from a poverty stricken land where he worked on his families farm. Shadowcat, on the other hand, came from the middle class suburbs where she was a child prodigy that had amazing computer skills and has a primarily defensive ability. I could never really see the connection

I think the fact that there was such an age difference was the main reason it was so one sided. It was implied that there were feelings on both sides, despite the age difference, although I do think it's probably worth noting that Kitty was supposed to be a teenage genius, so she was at least smarter than an average girl, even if she was not yet emotionally mature.

And you're right that they may not have had a lot in common (other than sharing a lot of adventures that most people could never fathom), but, really, when does that stop teenagers from getting crushes?

Just have always struggled understanding why this relationship is considered X-Men status quo, is it because the writers throw it in our faces perpetually? Or is there really significance in it that I am not seeing??

It was really never the status quo for any significant amount of time, it's just romanticized in that way because they had both been such central characters in their early days. Kitty was really the main character from '81-86, and Colossus was her first crush; people like to think that that sort of high school first love is forever stuff is something that ever happens, even if it doesn't make any sense. It's just being romantic, I guess.

It's the same sort of reason people like Jean Grey and Cyclops together, which, to me, makes even less sense.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Rickbarry

@emequious_swerve: The initial attraction was pretty simple. Kitty was a young teenager and Piotr was a good looking guy that was literally a night in shining armor. They were the two youngest people on the team as well so it was natural they'd gravitate toward each other, but I don't recall anything odd happening between the pair. Piotr always had a hesitation about her age and just waited until she got older before doing anything you might consider too odd. What's their age gap? Three years or four? Something like that. He was 16 or 17 when joining the X-men.

Anywho, I always found their relationship appealing as there was always hesitation or the world got in the way between them pursuing things forward. Piotr had that alien lady. Kitty had Wisdom (Who was a great deal older than her. No one complains about that one. Odd.) They get together when they're both much older and finally get romantic in Astonishing. 'Course that lasts all of four issues until she's banished away in the bullet. She returns and he sacrifices himself to save her and his sister a few issues later. I'm a sucker for relationships that are flawed or just can't get the timing right. Besides, I think people are off on Piotr. He wasn't afforded the same education as others, but he's one of the more mature/thoughtful mutants running around. Plus he's an artists. Genius folk love artsy things and people.

I for one want the two to end up in the same book together now that the teams are shifting once more. Romance? I could care less. The two have one of the better friendships in the X-verse and they haven't talked in years.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the same sort of reason people like Jean Grey and Cyclops together, which, to me, makes even less sense.

Wait why dont they make sense. Is this about the nonsense Morrison write in new x-men about jean having "great expectations" towards cyclops??? I mean Scott and Jean's love was so strong that he saved the whole universe. Jean was always abit outgoing while scott was the more reserved/shy one. Whats wrong with that???

Plus i think morrison was just making any excuse up, to break them up, just for shock value

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PhoenixoftheTides

I don't know either. I suspect it has a lot to do with some of the current writers being young fans when the relationship was first introduced, and their nostalgia being a catalyst for them to reinvigorate the relationship. This is one of those relationships that seems rather one note to me, and once the characters have nothing keeping them apart any dramatic tension just fizzles.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

I'm going to split my opinion on this on two different opinions:

My opinion: I loved Kitty and Colossus together because while they both do have different personalities (Colossus is shy and artistic, while Kitty is outgoing and independent), they seem to connect with each other that's impossible to do with any couple who have different personalities. At least based off of Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men, Colossus seems to be the one who can easily calm down Kitty whenever she's mad and Kitty is always there to comfort Colossus whenever he gets upset. So, they seem to comfort each other in times of turmoil and give each other strength, something that hasn't been done well in recent comics and I really missed that relationship.

General opinion: Pretty much the same reason why everyone loves Rogue and Gambit, Jean Grey and Cyclops and heck even Emma Frost and Cyclops. They were the first established couples in the comics and everyone loves to hold on to first time relationships. Also, most of these relationships came out during a time where relationships weren't constantly shifted back and forth (although that's a little debatable, especially with the controversy that surrounded Kitty and Colossus' relationship) and fans can just relax with these couples without worrying about them breaking up for odd reasons.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did anyone like iceman and kitty??? Not me I'm to use to having kitty and colossus, I cant picture anyone else. Same with jean grey, I cant picture her with anyone else except cyclops, especially from the 90's cartoon show(they like tried to get married twice in that lol)

When are Rogue and Gambit getting back together??? Gambit and all his secrets and Rogue being well, err Rogue...lol

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

Did anyone like iceman and kitty??? Not me I'm to use to having kitty and colossus, I cant picture anyone else. Same with jean grey, I cant picture her with anyone else except cyclops, especially from the 90's cartoon show(they like tried to get married twice in that lol)

When are Rogue and Gambit getting back together??? Gambit and all his secrets and Rogue being well, err Rogue...lol

I definitely would like to see Rogue and Gambit get back together again! I just couldn't handle all the other relationships that Rogue had since Gambit.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By Fallschirmjager

General opinion: Pretty much the same reason why everyone loves Rogue and Gambit, Jean Grey and Cyclops and heck even Emma Frost and Cyclops. They were the first established couples in the comics and everyone loves to hold on to first time relationships. Also, most of these relationships came out during a time where relationships weren't constantly shifted back and forth (although that's a little debatable, especially with the controversy that surrounded Kitty and Colossus' relationship) and fans can just relax with these couples without worrying about them breaking up for odd reasons.

To be fair, I think Rogue and Gambit's relationship is more than just "they were first". There is a real good story there, with Remy being somewhat of a playboy in the past and despite the physical limitations due to their powers they still love each other.

I think that's a fairly powerful concept.

Not that I claim to be an expert on all things X-men love (although Remy is my favorite member :))

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rabbitearsblog said:

To be fair, I think Rogue and Gambit's relationship is more than just "they were first". There is a real good story there, with Remy being somewhat of a playboy in the past and despite the physical limitations due to their powers they still love each other.

Not that I claim to be an expert on all things X-men love (although Remy is my favorite member :))

That's a good point! I think what made Rogue and Gambit's relationship really stand out was the fact that Rogue couldn't touch anyone because of her powers, but Gambit still loved her anyway, so that's a truly powerful relationship right there.

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bigtewell

@emequious_swerve said:

I think Whedon wrote Astonishing X-Men around it because, as a fan himself, he knew that it was something many long-time X-men fans had always wanted to see. Consider that because Kitty and Colossus were so likable as kids in Claremont's run, and that Whedon himself was a huge Claremont fan (having supposedly based the character of Buffy Summers on Kitty), he knew that there was years of fan speculation and expectation built up. his X-men run is as much an homage to Claremont's run as anything, so it made a lot of sense to re-establish Kitty as the main character.

Sort of. To be fair, I always read it like Colossus was not so much shy as uncomfortable being hit on by such a young girl (I think she was 14, but whatever; he certainly wasn't as shy around Zsaji), and Wolverine was more mad because he felt that Colossus hadn't been sensitive to Kitty's feelings because she was a kid.

And Colossus got himself into that fight with the Juggernaut, Wolverine just got him drunk. After which, Kitty and Colossus resolve to be just friends.

I think the fact that there was such an age difference was the main reason it was so one sided. It was implied that there were feelings on both sides, despite the age difference, although I do think it's probably worth noting that Kitty was supposed to be a teenage genius, so she was at least smarter than an average girl, even if she was not yet emotionally mature.

And you're right that they may not have had a lot in common (other than sharing a lot of adventures that most people could never fathom), but, really, when does that stop teenagers from getting crushes?

It was really never the status quo for any significant amount of time, it's just romanticized in that way because they had both been such central characters in their early days. Kitty was really the main character from '81-86, and Colossus was her first crush; people like to think that that sort of high school first love is forever stuff is something that ever happens, even if it doesn't make any sense. It's just being romantic, I guess.

i agree with everything but that part. why dont you like jean and cyclops?????? I mean all the way from the 60s jean and cyclops loved each other and fought everything to be together and every time they get together she ends up dieing again

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Love Gambit and Rogue together. Kitty and Colossus is cool too. Though Ive kinda always thought Kitty and Cannonball made sense. I really do wish relationships could be established and let them remain for a while instead of always breaking them up. Kitty leaving Colossus was pretty stupid imo as well as her departure from JGS and Iceman.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait why dont they make sense. Is this about the nonsense Morrison write in new x-men about jean having "great expectations" towards cyclops??? I mean Scott and Jean's love was so strong that he saved the whole universe. Jean was always abit outgoing while scott was the more reserved/shy one. Whats wrong with that???

I never said there was anything wrong with it, I just said that, to me, it didn't make sense.

For me, it's just the general contrivance. Oh, they were both on the original team, so obviously they were meant to be together forever, surely Jean Grey's one true love must be someone she went to high school with. They had a crush on each other when they were kids, so obviously Cyclops would leave his wife and kid to be with her. Cyclops is totally obsessed with her in all the cartoons, so it must be true love.

I just never got it. To me, it seemed to have more to do with the fact that Cyclops was the only member of the first team to stick around for the second. Before that, Jean had lots of boyfriends. And everything after X-Factor just felt forced because of people's association with the Dark Phoenix Saga, which was ret-conned to not be Jean anyway. Just contrivance on top of contrivance.

i agree with everything but that part. why dont you like jean and cyclops?????? I mean all the way from the 60s jean and cyclops loved each other and fought everything to be together and every time they get together she ends up dieing again

again, not saying I don't like them; Cyclops is one of my favorite characters, Jean's alright, I guess, I just don't get why everyone thinks they make any kind of sense together. Maybe it would seem more like they had anything in common if Jean had any kind of definable personality, but I've read every comic with her in it, and I just don't see what the big deal is.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The relationship actually reminds me of Dick Grayson (Nightwing) and Barbara Gordon (Batgirl) for DC Comics, in that many people tend to idealize it when looking back at the past. They've never really been together in a full blown relationship for years and years. It's mostly been them as really good friends, with a past, and a good portion of tension between the two. In terms of why people like it so much, but are fan favorites and always have been. Good, decent characters that people want to be happy. Then i'm sure there's something to the fact that Pete's a Gentle Giant and Kitty's so small compared to him. As others have also said, the relationship is now somewhat iconic as it's been an idea floating around for so long, like Gambit and Rogue (Though in my opinion that relationship was 10 times as interesting as Kitty and Peter.) Personally, I don't even care for it all that much at this point, and wish it could be put to rest and have the characters really move on.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

I've always found Kitty and Colossus relationship kind of boring. Don't get me wrong I like Kitty and Colossus, there both good characters. I've just never been interesting in there relationship. I think Joss Whedon wrote the best version of there relationship. Although I didn't see the point of reuniting them and then separating them in his series.

Rogue and Gambit will always be the best X-Men couple. They reminded of a teenage romance, with all the fears and insecurities. They also had real obstacle with Rogue not being able to touch

@fallschirmjager said:

@rabbitearsblog said:

That's a good point! I think what made Rogue and Gambit's relationship really stand out was the fact that Rogue couldn't touch anyone because of her powers, but Gambit still loved her anyway, so that's a truly powerful relationship right there.

I think your right about Gambit and Rogue. How many guys would stick with a woman they couldn't touch. Gambit really loves Rogue and he proven that. There true love in there relationship.

Marvel just needs to reunite them and have them move forward. Let them be able to touch.

Plus i think morrison was just making any excuse up, to break them up, just for shock value

Your absolutely right, Grant Morrison did make up rubbish when it came to Jean and Scott relationship. He just wanted to break them up and Scott affair with Emma made no sense at all. Grant Morrison clearly stated in a interview that he found there marriage boring and that's why he destroy it the way he did.

Then you come across those people who believe there marriage was already over and I wonder to myself, do they base that on Grant Morrison writing. He was naive and arrogant and show no understanding of there marriage.

What I like the most about Jean and Scott, is there real relationship, there a real marriage. They face many obstacles together. How many times has there relationship been tested. The Phoenix force, Maddie & Mr Sinister. Raising Cable 12 years in the future. Cyclops Merge with Apocalypse and then there Logan. There relationship has face so many challenges.

That’s what a real relationship is, it’s not about being happy or being in loved all time. It’s about facing challengers together and that’ what Jean Grey and Scott did and that’s why they are perfect for one another.

Scot t and Emma never strike me as a real couple. They haven’t really been tested as couple. The Phoenix Force was the only real threat to there relationship and it broke them up. They both betray one another and then Emma dumps Scott. That’s why they don’t belong together.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#16 vance_astro  Moderator

Nothing is "great" about it. Relationships in comics all suck. Every single one of them.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro said:

Nothing is "great" about it. Relationships in comics all suck. Every single one of them.

Its sad to be you and dont have any relationships, poor man...

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 vance_astro  Moderator

@rubear said:

@vance_astro said:

Its sad to be you and dont have any relationships, poor man...

-_-

Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Emequious_Swerve

Wha?? Scot and Jean make tons of sense. Not only have they been one of the longest standing couples in comics, but they are extremely compatible. Technically, Jean was Xaviers first student, Scott, his first X-Man, Cyclops was always the prodigal son of the X-Men, Jean, the motherly heart of the team, they also both possessed devastating power if left unchecked. Then, of course there is little, subtle cute thing like Scott only being able to see red and Jeans hair is red, they both also have code names taken from ancient Greek mythology "Cyclops and Phoenix". They also were apparently meant to be together seeing as they children from all over the multiverse.

Emma and Scott are the ones who don't make any sense. Scott, on more than one occasion has been shown to hold grudges. Emma has nearly killed one of his friends several times. Seriously, why does he let her slide so easily?

@emequious_swerve: The initial attraction was pretty simple. Kitty was a young teenager and Piotr was a good looking guy that was literally a night in shining armor. They were the two youngest people on the team as well so it was natural they'd gravitate toward each other, but I don't recall anything odd happening between the pair. Piotr always had a hesitation about her age and just waited until she got older before doing anything you might consider too odd. What's their age gap? Three years or four? Something like that. He was 16 or 17 when joining the X-men.

Anywho, I always found their relationship appealing as there was always hesitation or the world got in the way between them pursuing things forward. Piotr had that alien lady. Kitty had Wisdom (Who was a great deal older than her. No one complains about that one. Odd.) They get together when they're both much older and finally get romantic in Astonishing. 'Course that lasts all of four issues until she's banished away in the bullet. She returns and he sacrifices himself to save her and his sister a few issues later. I'm a sucker for relationships that are flawed or just can't get the timing right. Besides, I think people are off on Piotr. He wasn't afforded the same education as others, but he's one of the more mature/thoughtful mutants running around. Plus he's an artists. Genius folk love artsy things and people.

I for one want the two to end up in the same book together now that the teams are shifting once more. Romance? I could care less. The two have one of the better friendships in the X-verse and they haven't talked in years.

Those are some good points. I have no problems with their friendship or even that she had a crush. I just never saw why them being together is such a popular detail among fans.

No one probably complains about the Kitty Pryde and Pete Wisdom relationship because A. it didn't last long and B. Kitty Pryde was older at that point, at least I think she was. But yeah, that relationship doesn't make a ton of sense either.

Meh, I have never liked Gambit. He is a nonsensical character that doesn't have any real motivation for being on the X-Men other than that fans think he is cool. Rogue fits much better with Magneto/Joseph. Bothe of them have pasts where they hurt people and shattered lives for their own ends, both were Brotherhood members, also, the complete randomness made the relationship interesting as well.

Kind of missed the point. Not asking why the actual relationship is great. I am more so asking why so many fans covet it.

and I disagree with your point anyways, I always enjoyed Midnighter and Apollos relationship, and thats just off the top of my head.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@oldnightcrawler said:

Wha?? Scot and Jean make tons of sense. Not only have they been one of the longest standing couples in comics, but they are extremely compatible. Technically, Jean was Xaviers first student, Scott, his first X-Man, Cyclops was always the prodigal son of the X-Men, Jean, the motherly heart of the team, they also both possessed devastating power if left unchecked. Then, of course there is little, subtle cute thing like Scott only being able to see red and Jeans hair is red, they both also have code names taken from ancient Greek mythology "Cyclops and Phoenix". They also were apparently meant to be together seeing as they children from all over the multiverse.

I think Rachel's the only one actually. Cable is Madelyne Pryor's son, X-man was built in a lab, and Ruby Summers is supposed to be Emma's daughter.

I also don't go in for that whole "meant to be together" stuff; I think it's contrived and fatalistic, ultimately dehumanizing characters into set roles rather than treating them as individuals. It's just a disservice to the characters, in my opinion.

That they were Xavier's first two students, to me, just makes it that much more contrived.

And it's not like they were always together, they both had several other relationships between the 60's and late 80's. That they were brought back together in the late 70's seemed to be fan service to begin with, that Cyclops left his wife and kid to be on with her on X-Factor was the same but worse.

Emma and Scott are the ones who don't make any sense. Scott, on more than one occasion has been shown to hold grudges. Emma has nearly killed one of his friends several times. Seriously, why does he let her slide so easily?

He thought Jean destroyed a whole planet and was willing to let that slide.

I dunno, I'm a fan of Cyclops and Emma I guess. I could have stood to hear less about their sex life, but to me Cyclops was just way more interesting with her than he ever was with Jean. They just have a way more interesting dynamic.

Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emequious_swerve said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

I think Rachel's the only one actually. Cable is Madelyne Pryor's son, X-man was built in a lab, and Ruby Summers is supposed to be Emma's daughter.

I also don't go in for that whole "meant to be together" stuff; I think it's contrived and fatalistic, ultimately dehumanizing characters into set roles rather than treating them as individuals. It's just a disservice to the characters, in my opinion.

That they were Xavier's first two students, to me, just makes it that much more contrived.

And it's not like they were always together, they both had several other relationships between the 60's and late 80's. That they were brought back together in the late 70's seemed to be fan service to begin with, that Cyclops left his wife and kid to be on with her on X-Factor was the same but worse.

I dunno, I'm a fan of Cyclops and Emma I guess. I could have stood to hear less about their sex life, but to me Cyclops was just way more interesting with her than he ever was with Jean. They just have a way more interesting dynamic.

Brought back together in the late 70s?? They were always together and only dated other people after they thought the other was dead. They got back together after they found out the other was alive because they loved one another.

One being Xaviers first student and the other the first X-Man is great because its a balance to the whole dream that Xavier had to begin with. Being contrived would suggest that it didn't make a lot of sense. It makes sense because Cyclops was always the first X-Man since the 60s and it makes perfect sense that Jean was his first student being how powerful she potentially was.

The whole Scott leaving Madelyn for Jean thing is difficult to argue, seeing as it was obviously a mandate by editorial and made absolutely no sense story wise. Funny you should mention Madelyn Pryor seeing as Scott got together with her why?? Oh yeah, because she reminded him of someone, it wouldn't be Jean Grey would it? because that relationship made no sense ;)

C;mon man, that is such a horrible comparison I don't even know where to begin. First of all, canonically, that wasn't even really Jean, second, even if it were she wasn't acting on her own accord.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brought back together in the late 70s?? They were always together and only dated other people after they thought the other was dead. They got back together after they found out the other was alive because they loved one another.

It's a common misconception that they were always together. They were on and off through most of the 60's and Jean dated Angel as well as some other guys from her school. By the time Jean leaves the school in The X-Men #94 (1975), they were established as a couple, but through much of the 60's they weren't. And they weren't together in the early days of X-Factor (1984) because Cyclops was married. And they didn't get married until X-Men #30 (1994).

People get mad at Morrison for breaking them up in New X-Men, but I think he was just pointing out how, for many X-men fans, contrived their relationship was to begin with.

C;mon man, that is such a horrible comparison I don't even know where to begin. First of all, canonically, that wasn't even really Jean, second, even if it were she wasn't acting on her own accord.

that's why I said "he thought" she destroyed a whole planet, do you think he would have been as understanding if he had known it wasn't her? or was he in love with the Phoenix as well?

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

Because they are both awesome

Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Emequious_Swerve

@oldnightcrawler said:

@emequious_swerve said:

It's a common misconception that they were always together. They were on and off through most of the 60's and Jean dated Angel as well as some other guys from her school. By the time Jean leaves the school in The X-Men #94 (1975), they were established as a couple, but through much of the 60's they weren't. And they weren't together in the early days of X-Factor (1984) because Cyclops was married. And they didn't get married until X-Men #30 (1994).

People get mad at Morrison for breaking them up in New X-Men, but I think he was just pointing out how, for many X-men fans, contrived their relationship was to begin with.

Well, I can't argue with Grant Morrison. But, you are wrong. She never dated Angel or Ted Carter ( one of the "other guys" from school you mentioned) merely flirtations. She admits she is secretly in love with Cyclops in the first 7 or 8 issues of X-Men and starts dating him in Issue 32. After she returns from the dead, you are correct, after the she finds out Scott is married, doesn't date him but they get together soon after Madelyn dies. They were very much an established couple in the 60s before the reprints.

So, I guess you are the one with some misconceptions. You and Grant Morrison :D

@oldnightcrawler said:

that's why I said "he thought" she destroyed a whole planet, do you think he would have been as understanding if he had known it wasn't her? or was he in love with the Phoenix as well?

Even if he thought it was really Jean, there are factors such as Jean not being herself and the fact he loved Jean for years beforehand. Emma Frost deliberately captured and tortured his friends on more than one occasion years before.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By adamTRMM

Yep, we have to agree with that Kitty and Colossus, Remy and Rogue, and Jean and Scott are all "classic" love stories of the X-men. Jean and Scott being the most iconic, so their relationship have become more like love for the sake of love. No one really knew what to do with them, how to make their relationship more complicated or something like this, simply because both of them being so "perfect". They are classic, but a boring couple. They wouldn't be, if JG stayed dead, their love had a meaning in an ultimate plot, but Marvel cheapened it with bringing her back in the most inappropriate time, and made all this nonsense with Madelyne Pryor. It wasn't complicated, but it looked bad for Cyclops. Though, Cyclops+Jean is the most popular couple of Marvel I think, only movies made it worse for them, because of Wolverine's interference. I know it was always there, but not on this level. I didn't mind that when I watched the movies, I never liked a boyscout Cyke and I was a Wolvie "fan" that time, but in comics it's different of course. I think Scott is better with Emma. There's is one thing Morrison did right.

Now, for the the thread. Unlike J+C, Kitty and Colossus weren't that obvious. There was always something that wouldn't allow them to get too intimate, them being too young or some other plots already being settled. And the time when they actually started a romantic relationship, was not until Whedon took over. So it kinda took them a long time to get to this point, and not long after that Kitty was gone. When she returned she has stayed phased for awhile, almost right after that Colossus became Juggernaut, which created another difficulties in their relationship, and finally Schism parting their ways again. I really don't know if this was a good reason to break up, but whatever, I guess I'm starting to get used for this sh*t. Anyway, that's exactly why I like them together, they never get to the point they're starting to bore you, they're like destined for each other, but there's always something that stands between them.

Mr_Winchester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mr_Winchester

What's so great about them?

Their names.

No Caption Provided

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whose better kitty and peter or kitty and bobby???

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kitty and Bobby made no sense, a relationship for the sake of it. Aaron's idea, wasn't it?

Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

Now, for the the thread. Unlike J+C, Kitty and Colossus weren't that obvious. There was always something that wouldn't allow them to get too intimate, them being too young or some other plots already being settled. And the time when they actually started a romantic relationship, was not until Whedon took over. So it kinda took them a long time to get to this point, and not long after that Kitty was gone. When she returned she has stayed phased for awhile, almost right after that Colossus became Juggernaut, which created another difficulties in their relationship, and finally Schism parting their ways again. I really don't know if this was a good reason to break up, but whatever, I guess I'm starting to get used for this sh*t. Anyway, that's exactly why I like them together, they never get to the point they're starting to bore you, they're like destined for each other, but there's always something that stands between them.

Wait, what? They were together in the 80s. Until editorial stepped in and forced them to be a part. The only thing that stopped them from being intimate was the fact that Colossus would have been committing a crime.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By adamTRMM

@emequious_swerve said:

The only thing that stopped them from being intimate was the fact that Colossus would have been committing a crime.

This, as I said there was always something standing between them. Everything they had before the Astonishing run, wasn't on that level of a real romance, that's my point.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

Kitty and Bobby made no sense, a relationship for the sake of it. Aaron's idea, wasn't it?

What ever happen to kitty's and bobby's son from the future who had both of their powers(ice and intangilbility)??? Does anyone remember that?

Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

This, as I said there was always something standing between them. Everything they had before the Astonishing run, wasn't on that level of a real romance, that's my point.

Sure it was, in fact it was even better. Like when Kitty almost married Caliban to save his life, great stuff right there. Or when they kissed passionately in the face of turning into Brood. They did have a real romance, it was just kind of weird seeing, as I mentioned, Kitty was a young kid and Pete was supposedly at least twenty.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I can't argue with Grant Morrison. But, you are wrong. She never dated Angel or Ted Carter ( one of the "other guys" from school you mentioned) merely flirtations. She admits she is secretly in love with Cyclops in the first 7 or 8 issues of X-Men and starts dating him in Issue 32. After she returns from the dead, you are correct, after the she finds out Scott is married, doesn't date him but they get together soon after Madelyn dies. They were very much an established couple in the 60s before the reprints.

Alright, well I remembered them having a more unrequited mutual crush for longer than that (because at first he was hesitant to go for her because of his position of team leader, and that she dated other people, implying that they weren't that serious yet), but maybe I'm wrong about that.

I still stand by my opinion that they were a contrived couple and both more interesting separately.

Even if he thought it was really Jean, there are factors such as Jean not being herself and the fact he loved Jean for years beforehand. Emma Frost deliberately captured and tortured his friends on more than one occasion years before.

I'm just saying, if he'd known that it wasn't Jean, that it was just a cosmic entity that thought she was Jean, he might not have been so sympathetic, and the X-men wouldn't have had to have that silly fight on the moon.

I'm sure Cyclops probably spent years thinking Emma was a totally evil bitch, and, hey, she was. But after she helped save the X-men a few times and he started to have feelings for her, you can see why he might start to see her as more than just that. I dunno, I'd been reading all of those characters for over a decade by the time I read New X-Men, and it made sense to me.

Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Emequious_Swerve

I'm just saying, if he'd known that it wasn't Jean, that it was just a cosmic entity that thought she was Jean, he might not have been so sympathetic, and the X-men wouldn't have had to have that silly fight on the moon.

I'm sure Cyclops probably spent years thinking Emma was a totally evil bitch, and, hey, she was. But after she helped save the X-men a few times and he started to have feelings for her, you can see why he might start to see her as more than just that. I dunno, I'd been reading all of those characters for over a decade by the time I read New X-Men, and it made sense to me.

He thought it was Jean, yes, that is true, but there are lots of arguable factors as Jean wasn't acting herself, as Cyclops mentions several times throughout the Dark Phoenix saga, he also had previously loved her for years prior. So him wanting to forgive her is plausible. He however has been shown to hold grudges against characters like Magneto and and all the other X-villains over the years, and Emma was pretty prominently obsessed with brainwashing the younger students at Xavier for years. So yeah, Cyclops falling in love with her makes perfect sense I guess.

I don't remember her really helping to save the X-Men that many times. I do remember her doing a lot of underhanded things even while she was good guy though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Agreed.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He thought it was Jean, yes, that is true, but there are lots of arguable factors as Jean wasn't acting herself, as Cyclops mentions several times throughout the Dark Phoenix saga, he also had previously loved her for years prior. So him wanting to forgive her is plausible. He however has been shown to hold grudges against characters like Magneto and and all the other X-villains over the years, and Emma was pretty prominently obsessed with brainwashing the younger students at Xavier for years. So yeah, Cyclops falling in love with her makes perfect sense I guess.

I don't remember her really helping to save the X-Men that many times. I do remember her doing a lot of underhanded things even while she was good guy though.

She helped them defeat Cassandra Nova in the first arc of New X-Men, arguably saving them. She also saved most of Generation X from the Phalanx Covenant.Those are all I have off the top of my head.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emequious_swerve said:

Alright, well I remembered them having a more unrequited mutual crush for longer than that (because at first he was hesitant to go for her because of his position of team leader, and that she dated other people, implying that they weren't that serious yet), but maybe I'm wrong about that.

I still stand by my opinion that they were a contrived couple and both more interesting separately.

I know this is a bit off topic but did anyone read uncanny x-men 310 when emma was in a coma after her hellions were killed and some bad guy(it doesnt say his name) wants to kill her because he feels shes responsible for her students death? Cyclops was engaged to jean at the time and he was protecting emma. And cable makes a sly remark like why protect her "isnt she the one who tried to kill the x-men on more then one occasion" Then after the bad guy gets away. Then cable also says "tell me scott, why do i get the impression that even if this x-cutioner guy had stayed-- If he were hurt, you'd be looking after him, too? And cyclops says "the day we stop showing compassion for our enemy, nathan-- is the day we become the enemy"

What are you talking about ok scott didnt trust magneto at first but now in uncanny their like best friends

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler said:

@rickbarry said:

Those are some good points. I have no problems with their friendship or even that she had a crush. I just never saw why them being together is such a popular detail among fans.

No one probably complains about the Kitty Pryde and Pete Wisdom relationship because A. it didn't last long and B. Kitty Pryde was older at that point, at least I think she was. But yeah, that relationship doesn't make a ton of sense either.

@rabbitearsblog said:

Meh, I have never liked Gambit. He is a nonsensical character that doesn't have any real motivation for being on the X-Men other than that fans think he is cool. Rogue fits much better with Magneto/Joseph. Bothe of them have pasts where they hurt people and shattered lives for their own ends, both were Brotherhood members, also, the complete randomness made the relationship interesting as well.

@vance_astro said:

Kind of missed the point. Not asking why the actual relationship is great. I am more so asking why so many fans covet it.

and I disagree with your point anyways, I always enjoyed Midnighter and Apollos relationship, and thats just off the top of my head.

I think her age is a bit of a 'Catch 22'. She was always referred to being so young, but the character acted more mature than most other people in the books. Well...when she wasn't tantruming. You know what I mean. As far as why it's so popular? I think it's not as popular as the whole Jean/Scott/Logan triangle or Rogue/Gambit. As I said earlier. I'm a sucker for people that get held apart for whatever reason and some crap always happens to the two. So I kind of root for them to finally get it right.

Although Domino/Colossus has been infinitely more entertaining that Kitty/Colossus in the later part of their relationship.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emequious_swerve said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

@rickbarry said:

@rabbitearsblog said:

@vance_astro said:

I think her age is a bit of a 'Catch 22'. She was always referred to being so young, but the character acted more mature than most other people in the books. Well...when she wasn't tantruming. You know what I mean. As far as why it's so popular? I think it's not as popular as the whole Jean/Scott/Logan triangle or Rogue/Gambit. As I said earlier. I'm a sucker for people that get held apart for whatever reason and some crap always happens to the two. So I kind of root for them to finally get it right.

Although Domino/Colossus has been infinitely more entertaining that Kitty/Colossus in the later part of their relationship.

Are Domino and Colossus serious? I thought they were just "having a good time". Domino never really got serious with wolverine but she was serious with cable and that relationship didnt make sense at all.

This reminds me of when scott and logan got drunk in a bar in new x-men. Where Wolverine goes "I always wanted what you had the study life, the great girl and all you want to do is throw that away and run a little wild and sexy with the White Queen" lol

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 vance_astro  Moderator

@emequious_swerve said:

Kind of missed the point. Not asking why the actual relationship is great. I am more so asking why so many fans covet it..

I don't think I missed the point at all. As you just said, you are wondering why so many people covet that relationship. My point was that, I don't really get why anyone cares about any relationships in comics because they all suck. Basically I share your confusion but just for a different reason.

@emequious_swerve

said:

I personally think this relationship was just a way to write a gay scenario for Batman & Superman. I don't find their relationship particularly interesting. Just my opinion though.

Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally think this relationship was just a way to write a gay scenario for Batman & Superman. I don't find their relationship particularly interesting. Just my opinion though.

It is, and I guess thats why I like it so much.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 vance_astro  Moderator

@emequious_swerve said:

@vance_astro said:

It is, and I guess thats why I like it so much.

I figured. I think that's why alot of people like it.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Rickbarry

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

Are Domino and Colossus serious? I thought they were just "having a good time". Domino never really got serious with wolverine but she was serious with cable and that relationship didnt make sense at all.

This reminds me of when scott and logan got drunk in a bar in new x-men. Where Wolverine goes "I always wanted what you had the study life, the great girl and all you want to do is throw that away and run a little wild and sexy with the White Queen" lol

I don't know that I'd call it serious, but she likes him more than she lets on. The whole conversation with Boom Boom shed a little light on how much she's into him. It's not a fling and not a serious relationship. I've no idea what to call it. Heh.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure it was, in fact it was even better. Like when Kitty almost married Caliban to save his life, great stuff right there. Or when they kissed passionately in the face of turning into Brood. They did have a real romance, it was just kind of weird seeing, as I mentioned, Kitty was a young kid and Pete was supposedly at least twenty.

So it was weird then, you say, but what's wrong with them now?

What ever happen to kitty's and bobby's son from the future who had both of their powers(ice and intangilbility)??? Does anyone remember that?

What, when?

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

@emequious_swerve said:

What, when?

Wolverine and the x-men 29 Carmen Drake who is seen in the 25 years of the future of the JGS

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

@emequious_swerve said:

What, when?

Wolverine and the x-men 29 Carmen Drake who is seen in the 25 years of the future of the JGS

Who cares? The abomination of a relationship is over!

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind that Kitty and Iceman is over, but I'm almost disappointed that relationship never got a real chance.

As random as it seems on the surface, I think Kitty and Iceman actually have more in common than most couples in the X-men.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler:

Im sad there relationship is over but bobby did say his not given up, so who knows. I dont mind kitty and peter being over but i know they would eventually get back together. :)

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind that Kitty and Iceman is over, but I'm almost disappointed that relationship never got a real chance.

As random as it seems on the surface, I think Kitty and Iceman actually have more in common than most couples in the X-men.

I think the relationship doomed itself with how poorly it was written. It came out of nowhere and quickly lost all traction. So, while I'm grateful it's over, I agree it could have been done so much better.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rickbarry: It was forced in due to the movies. It came out of nowhere and ended just like that. For no reason.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.