Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

What X-men comic to read if you're an X-men virgin

Avatar image for thecowwasdelirious
    thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Tips? I've been wanting to buy New X-men just because it's Grant Morrison, but maybe that's a bad comic to start with...

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By AwesomePerson

Basically, just go on the xmen page on comic vine and click on recommended reading, which is actually pretty good as it is edited by fellow comic fans and the stories there are pretty good and worth while checking out!

thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Djainess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

actually new X-men isn't that bad of a starting point as it reads like some sort of reboot of the X-men(One that quite some x-fans didn't really like due to certain events, but I think its a great run). Another great starting point (my first x-men comic) is Astonishing X-men by Josh Whedon which takes place just after new x-men. Besides its an excellent run, so in time, you really should read it anyway :).

rodwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@djainess: All new x-men was my first x-men comic. Got me hooked, and now I'm reading as much x history as I can get a hold of.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@djainess said:

actually new X-men isn't that bad of a starting point as it reads like some sort of reboot of the X-men(One that quite some x-fans didn't really like due to certain events, but I think its a great run). Another great starting point (my first x-men comic) is Astonishing X-men by Josh Whedon which takes place just after new x-men. Besides its an excellent run, so in time, you really should read it anyway :).

I think both Morrison'sNew X-Menand Whedon'sAstonishing X-Men serve as good starting points, for pretty much the reasons you state here.

That said, personally, even though Whedon's takes place after Morrison's, I still think Whedon's is a better place to start. Mostly I just think Whedon's does a better job of representing what's really fun and likable about the X-men, whereas Morrison's reads more like a critical deconstruction that at times borders on parody.

Morrison's is arguably more original overall, but Whedon's run makes you actually like the characters. I say, start with Whedon's and get around to checking out Morrison's if you're curious about what happened to Genosha, Jean Grey, or who Cassandra Nova is or whatever. Or if, like in this case, you just like Grant Morrison. Though I feel much of what he brings to the stories would be overlooked by someone who hadn't read any other X-men..

Tips? I've been wanting to buy New X-men just because it's Grant Morrison, but maybe that's a bad comic to start with...

Pretty much any of theseare great places to start.

thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@djainess@oldnightcrawler Thanks for the info! I think i'll start with New X-men because Grant Morrison is like scottish jesus to me, and then i'll pick up Astonishing.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Djainess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thecowwasdelirious: Hey, you're welcome man :).

@rodwell said:

@djainess: All new x-men was my first x-men comic. Got me hooked, and now I'm reading as much x history as I can get a hold of.

All new X-men definitely works as a good starting point, especially if you're only interested in what's going on right now. But I don't think it's the best comic out right now. Up untill BoTA it was good, afterwards, the series kind of lost it I think. But hey, glad you enjoy it ^^.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.