Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

What should be next for Cable?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

So with Xforce ending soon, what would be your wish with regard to Cable? What direction should they take him in? Where do you see him in the current landscape of the marvel u?

In talking to a few people many seem to be tired of him in his current role others are just tired period. I've seen quite a few that want to kill him off which we all know normally doesn't stick but in this case it could serve as an interesting catalyst that could allow further development and clarification as far as Hope Summers' character is concerned. I mean we could even explore how that would affect Cyclops and Rachel as well as Domino.

Running Xforce just seems like his more natural role but Xforce has lost a lot of steam in recent years. To the point where i think there is a legitimate question as to whether there's even still a need for Xforce in it's current iteration as a black ops kill squad. I think this has been discussed recently in another thread so I won't spend much time on it, but I think a revamped premise and mission statement is the way to go for Xforce or more likely just take rest from it for a while. However this kind of leaves Cable in no man's land seeing as how it's hard to imagine him as a fit for any of the other teams. I know someone will scream solo! and I guess giving him the Magneto treatment would work or maybe Cable and Domino series somewhat like Cable and Deadpool back in the day. But really do we need more solos at this point? I just don't see it.

To me characters like Bishop and Cable with their backstories are to valuable and interesting to just be sidelined in comic limbo. But again that brings up the question of what to do with them. So how do you see it? What should be the next thing?

Avatar image for themasterofmagnetism
    TheMasterofMagnetism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I don't know if this might be the right decision, but instead going in limbo, and no one knows what to do with these two characters (which I never liked), I think the best is to return to their timeline. The reason is because Cyclops is Cable's father and Cable is an old man next to him. Now that's me. Bishop is a character who done bad things lately.

So that's my thought of what should be next thing. Returning back to their future is the best for them.

But I'm not happy with X-F ending.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cattlebattle

Ugh, out of all the numerous (<understatement) X-Men that exist there is very few that I actually dislike. Cable, unfortunately, is one of those few. Mainly because he is way too bogged down by convoluted time travel, cloning nonsense.....seriously, he is like the ultimate creation of a bunch of writers who work for a bad soap opera....."have you met my evil twin??"

Anyways, I am going with the easy way out and suggesting that when Apocalypse comes back, which looks to be happening in the "Axis" event, he and Cable have a final battle and kill each other so both those characters can hang up their jerseys from the X-Men mythos.......They can have like a 10 issue, Dragon Balll Z like battle and scream things like "I was more popular in the 90s!!" at each other until they both die.

However, in an elephantine like swerve, I would have a paradox occur where Cable returns to the present as he left....an infant child!! Now Cyclops and Emma Frost have to raise baby Nathan while fighting a mutant revolution. Good times will ensue.

somacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh, out of all the numerous (<understatement) X-Men that exist there is very few that I actually dislike. Cable, unfortunately, is one of those few. Mainly because he is way too bogged down by convoluted time travel, cloning nonsense.....seriously, he is like the ultimate creation of a bunch of writers who work for a bad soap opera....."have you met my evil twin??"

Anyways, I am going with the easy way out and suggesting that when Apocalypse comes back, which looks to be happening in the "Axis" event, he and Cable have a final battle and kill each other so both those characters can hang up their jerseys from the X-Men mythos.......They can have like a 10 issue, Dragon Balll Z like battle and scream things like "I was more popular in the 90s!!" at each other until they both die.

However, in an elephantine like swerve, I would have a paradox occur where Cable returns to the present as he left....an infant child!! Now Cyclops and Emma Frost have to raise baby Nathan while fighting a mutant revolution. Good times will ensue.

I agree, it's a fitting ending for cable. To become baby nathan again so his father and emma can raise to not become a soldier but a boy scout hero

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh. Idk....maybe it's time Cable did what he did after the last time he was over exposed for years and had basically done everything. Have him join the X-Men.

Let Cable join the X-Men again, play pinch hitter/team strategist for a while and really change the teams look and throw a different personality in the mix. Then the X-Men can eventually run into an enemy and make a decision that finally pushes Nathan to strike back out on his own, or he can see something that's so important it's being overlooked and form a new team to tackle it. Heck the book may even sell better if it spins out of another X-Men title.

Roy_el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a huge cable fan.

He should have died in second coming.

Shebba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I agree with everyone here. Sorry :(

DaymarePrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have him put together a new team of shelved characters and become an X-force in Otherworld. It is the one place Marvel does not use and it is the most fantasy type setting.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Have him come into conflict with a new character named Dish, he'd be basically the same as Cable but somehow people will still try to claim that one is better.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really felt Cable should have stayed dead after second coming....I've never liked him really as he was to much of a generic 90s action hero. Him dying to make sure Hope got where she was supposed to be and was safe was a great way for him to go.

So id say probably find another good Hope arc to kill him off....Hope really needs something going for her since the entire purpose of her character was completed after AvX. Sacrifice a character who has run his course to give a character who still has potential a chance to grow. Or revert him to an infant that Scott has to care for, with odd and awkward moments with teen-jean, Hope and Emma

TheLurker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheLurker

@joshmightbe: Or introduce his inter-dimensional twin brother named Internet. Who would then proceed to gain Cable's trust, only to betray him by unleashing the primordial giant, Netflix. Internet would then sit back and watch Cable's futile struggle with Netflix, and laugh as Cable slowly dies in agony. :(

Or, they could stick him in Uncanny X-men.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When real Cable wakes up the plot has to reveal that during Hope's channeling PF and healing him, it also granted him with a near-future prophecy - Bishop was right all along, Hope is indeed destined to become the monster he claimed her to be.

Krypton-115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Either a solo series in which he's running around, kicking asses and taking names, or a new Deadpool & Cable series in which they either do nothing, or time travel and be the best couple in comics.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krypton-115: I like that idea. Though I had him doing that with Domino instead of redoing Cable and Deadpoool. But either could work.

I wonder if having Cable and a team working in a series working to reestablish Providence or Genosha and the principles of Clan Askani, would be a decent premise.

Also with what Magneto has beeen doing in his book, it's hard to see why Xforce would be seperate from this. I almost wish they would join him. It may be some angst there between Magneto and Cable thouh I think both can put everything aside for getting the job done. I also could see Cable taking the enemies close approach in that if Magneto starts to become mad and power hungry, then he'd be there to track him and keep tabs on him even putting him down if necessary. Cable, Domino, Marrrow and even Psylocke if we are keeping her there would be reat joining Mags. Even throw a repowered Callisto in there and that team is badass.

pastepotpete1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Id like to see him finish that figth with sebastian the one that we never got see without tp ofcourse

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i mean his whole backstory kinda screws him over. to take him outta his reality (dark gritty future) is to take him outta his element. And with Marvel being pro avengers now its just kinda difficult. He's a cool character but alot of stuff about him is dated. The arm, techno virus, big guns... i mean. he needs makeover

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phisigmatau: I tend to agree with you on this. How would you make him over?

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916:

good question. Thanks for asking for my opnion however I'm definetly not a professional writer nor would i have teh creative ability to give Cable justice.
    A couple things

A) he's too OP to be on an Earthbound team and consistely have threats that don't reach Avengers/X-men level needed response
    B) we have to consider placing him in another impossible situation like AOA vs Apocalypse

I would suggest sending him to the Shi'ar empire. Feeling misplaced on Earth in a non apocalyptic setting, Cyclops suggest he goes there via StarJammers Ship.
    also creates an oppurtunity to get some QT with his Gramps. When he gets dropped off over there, Shi'ar empire is soon thereafter taken over. Create a whole new villian that places him in another impossible situation.

Full powered, no lame big guns or mechanic arm. Would be awesome to witness.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e385ee5c8c54
    deactivated-5e385ee5c8c54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He should find Nate (X-man), and together they go on an adventure to restore themselves back to full power and rule the planet as omega level twins

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like him to work more with Rachel

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

id like to see an x men team with him, but a real x men team not some X force or X factor blah blah

Cable, Gambit, Bishop, Sage ect. We got alot of big guns in comic limbo. IMO it would be nice if they were Cyclop's X men then they could even have an edgier feel to them

I mean if you think about it, All New X men are the time displaced X men, Uncanny is about the new students and cyclops journey having another book about a group of X men cyclops uses to push his revolution wouldnt be too much imo.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn: I like this. In fact I've felt that Cyclops should be on the edgy revolutionary team himself. My only question though is do you think Bishop and Cable would work together after their history?

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

@mcklayn: I like this. In fact I've felt that Cyclops should be on the edgy revolutionary team himself. My only question though is do you think Bishop and Cable would work together after their history?

r u kidding me this is comics

magneto has teamed up with the x-men after all

i dont like the "revolution" team. what are they revolting against? the avengers? maybe on some other planet but i dont see it on Earth.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phisigmatau: That explanation "this is comics" speaks to why we have some of the problems we do.

The concept of the a revolutionary team is fine but the execution has been bad as evidenced by your thoughts/questions about who they are revolting against. The team could be so much better and the premise and goals of the team could be explained better as well

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By phisigmatau
    @hawk2916 said:

@phisigmatau: That explanation "this is comics" speaks to why we have some of the problems we do.

The concept of the a revolutionary team is fine but the execution has been bad as evidenced by your thoughts/questions about who they are revolting against. The team could be so much better and the premise and goals of the team could be explained better as well

fair enough about the comics comment. really tho, people have been over worst, and i think its an interesting dynamic with the two on the team, edgy against one another. I just think earth 616 is way to populated for a story that would justify them. It would have to be a prolonged, hopeless, post apocalyptic world or something of the sort. It would be cool if Axis heroes failed and all we had left in the MCU 616 Earth was Cable, Bishop Etc team led by Cyke as they tried to over throw a world where Apocalypse battled Skull's army for world dominance.

Avatar image for lordofallhumans
    LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He should return to take Jean from where she is and return the favor by him becoming her teacher the way she taught him as a child instead of trying to forge some forced relationship with Emma. There needs to be a story that deals with Cable, Rachel, Nate and Jean being the last of their bloodline on Earth. Have Maddie (Red Queen) crash it because the body she was looking for is now walking around in untrained yet powerful teenage flesh. Cable has always been the only one that could ever get through to her even though she tried to kill him as an infant. The problem with Cable is that after the Summers/Pryor/Grey connection was made all those years ago his entire comic career was gearing towards a final showdown with the mutant he was created to destroy, once he fulfilled his destiny there wasn't much to do with him because that was literally all he was created to do.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HAWK2916

That's a good point in that he was there for a certain purpose and now what....

I thought it was interesting reinvention for him to be given the task of protecting Hope. Now maybe Havok and Wasp can get him to assemble a team and go after Kang and track down their daughter that he has taken somewhere in the timeline. It might be kinda cool to see Cable embarking on that type of mission while also maybe trying to repair the fractures in time as well. It would give him some new purpose at least.

That or have him join S.W.O.R.D with Brand and send him on missions to alien worlds tracking down and destroying technology and devices that could be detrimental to life on earth. Or dealing with and thwarting the conquering types and those with designs on subduing earth and making it a part of their empire. Sort of like what someone mentioned about being a newer version of the Starjammers.

I don't know

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By adamTRMM

Since he's lobotomized and has only clairvoyance these days (sigh), I say instead of these silly attempts of constant refusals to let him have a whole body, perma-bond him to techno organic virus again, but this time let him overcome, subdue and then fully utilize it for his advantages. Archangel's wings? Wolverine/X-23/Lady Deathstroke claws? Colossus armor? All this combined with cyberpathy and integral devices, and you have the ultimate prophet soldier. F@ck winkers, surrogate members and over-sized bazookas, let him evolve already, even just visually.

UHypocrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say erase them completely. They are useless and plot device only to create stories that wasn't even interesting. Cable and Bishop are so old fashion ugh.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HAWK2916

@adamtrmm: That's a neat idea for reinventing him. Having him with full control over the techno organic virus and able to use it to his advantage with wings, claws and armor as well as cyberpathy would be pretty cool.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916:

Yeah, I can understand why they won't let him have godlike powers, recently Stryfe was confirmed Omega level which should automatically make Cable one as well, and having such a powerful outlaw doesn't fit the current Avengers World niche of Marvel with him running unapprehended/dealt with by Avengers themselves (which was actually somewhat the plot of the first half of Cable and X-force). But dam somehow we always end up with him returning to straight to 90s.

Spurrier has his unique and interesting style, but he did absolutely nothing for Cable.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Cable needs a makeover...

His past and the metal arm is just done now... Marvel are now pro-avengers but I don't want Cable joining the Avengers...

Frankly I would like Cable to interact with Nate and Rachel a lot more, since technically, those two are his brother and sister... I miss the old Cable book where Rachel cared for Cable...

I don't think Bendis is going to allow any of Jean's kids to actually interact with teen Jean after he showed us what happened when Rachel and Jean (briefly) met...

Honestly, Cable needs to find Nate Grey and possibly Rachel and do some sibling bonding stuff with them, in a Summers family way or he joins another X-Book or something...

The worst: He goes to comic limbo...

Anyone elese feels Hope Summers killed the Cable we all know and love???

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeperson: If you are talking about him taking charge of Hope, Im not sure it killed his character so much as it gave us a different take on him.

Im with you on the interaction between him and Rachel, though a family bonding thing might not be the best premise for a book. With Nate Grey, thats one Ive never been a fan of. I understand quite a few are but for me its just a bit of redundancy there. I'd almost prefer if they just absorbed or amalgated into one being/character. i just dont see the need for both of them running around.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@hawk2916: I liked Hope as a kid, but then she went into a teenager, the only vibe I truly got from her was "Look at me! Fell sorry for me!!!!!" and she went really bratty....

All 3 Summers kids don't have to sit down over dinner to bond, they can go on wacky adventures or something... You know that's how Summers' all bond: by entering life-threatening situations with each other!

I have sort of a mix opinion on Nate Grey: I don't hate him but I don't exactly love him either...

Nate is practically in comic book limbo and the last time he was in a book was in New Mutants, which was the "Utopian" era of the X-Men... He gets mentioned now and then but no notable appearances...

Which is kinda why I thought him, Cable and Rachel should do a book...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.