Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

what is wrong with bendis

comicawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I see a lot of dislike for the bendis X-men run. so what is wrong with it?

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

He's overall awful with team books and a lot of his dialogue is cringeworthy.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My biggest problem with him is that he has no respect for previously established characterizations and continuity.

Rhino999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ultra slow plot is one thing I really hate about him. Also he is a troll(self admitted)

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

My biggest problem with him is that he has no respect for previously established characterizations and continuity.

true

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Koays  Online

What's wrong with Bendis......give me a few minutes.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Koays  Online

Oh and if you think the hates bad now you should've seen the stuff after BotA.

Basically I think the dislike for Bendis comes from two very different places with his two different books-

All New X-Men- It has a controversial premise but most have gotten past that. The real problem is that there's alot of weakness in his characters and plots.

Characters- Teen Jean and Cyclops were two very interesting characters to center around at first, however after Teen Cyke (Tyke) left no characters really stepped in to fill the void. Because of this Teen Jean is the central character in a book with 5 main characters (plus Kitty and the Uncanny team) and despite most of them having their own traumatic and devastating realizations that they could/should be dealing with....the only one we're meant to feel bad for is Teen Jean because she has to deal with her mortality. All an All this wouldn't be so bad but because no one else is in focus Teen Jean just seems annoying the more you realize that characters go out of their way to make her seem awesome.

Basically you have to feel bad for her because so many things will happen to her, in awe of how powerful she was/is/will be, astounded by her leadership skills, and impressed at how she handles new situations, and understanding of why everyone loves her.....with very little of this flowing naturally into eachother. She's essentially a Mary Sue, something which is really only so evident because characters like X-23, Angel and Beast are rarely explored and when they are it is in an unnatural way given their situations and is really on to distract before the story goes back to focusing on Jean.

Plot- The problem with Bendis' plot with this book is that there isnt one. "The O5 come to the future and have to deal with the individual and global changes that are the norm for todays X-Men" is a solid premise....the only problem is that it's neither been explored or built upon in any way. The O5 see the future and decide they don't like and want to change it, they risk the timeline by making the decision to stay and change it......and then they don't do anything. All of their problems seem to come to them, and all of their adventures end with similar messages like "the future isn't set in stone", "we make our own future" and "i'm my own person". So the characters motives for staying aren't being focused on and the things they are focusing on are repeated over an over with the characters coming out learning the same things and not changing from them. Teen Jean ended Bota, Trial of Jean Grey, and the Future Brotherhood arc resolving the same thing...and she's the only one that learned anything.

In about 35 issues there has been two that have focused on dealing with a problem in the present that wasn't caused by them and their arrival. Details that might be important like not being able to go back home, Mystique having 2 kids, the implication that Jean will lose control of her powers and Angel meeting his brain scrambled future self....there all forgotten and placed on the back burner. And currently we are going from a crossover with the Ultimate Universe that hasn't had any impact, to another crossover with the Black Vortex where the biggest thing we've been promised as far as this book is reuniting with Teen Cyclops. The book just doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Uncanny X-Men- Now while this book is miles over All New X-Men, and has a much more cohesive story based on years of developments that have brought us to this point....it's problems showcase Bendis' issue with the details.

Characters- The problem with Uncanny's characters is that while they're all likeable....they aren't explored beyond cliffnotes. "Cyclops is starting revolution to change the dynamic between humans and mutants in a more controversial way then the regular X-Men"- How is it controversial? Cause he punched a aggressive cop? No one seems to know. "Magneto believes that Scott's goal is worth supporting but is worried about the methods"- What worries him about them? Are they worse then his own? how committed is he to this idea?. No one seems to know. "Magik is loyal to Scott but isn't sure he realizes the gravity of what his actions will mean"- Is there a particular thing he's done that gives her pause or is it just the idea in general? "Emma Frost is.....Emma Frost?"- She feels vulnerable without her powers, she needs the Cuckoo's to fill a part of her, she's not averse to helping recruit new members....but she doesn't talk so who knows? Then theres half a dozen students who don't get enough screen time to attach too, Dazzler and Havok who recently joined and the fact that that he likes to include the JGS cast (Storm, Beast and Iceman) on a regular basis.

Basically there's this incredibly huge and interesting cast that has to be juggled and because of how slow paced the issues can be there's very little time to explore them or their motivations without dedicating a whole issue to it. Add to that the average Uncanny X-Men issue has about 17 pages of story and well......

Plot- And this is something that happens in All New X-Men as well.... Bendis likes to throw details out and not come back to them. Mystique is running Madripor, Dark Beast hates Cyclops despite never sharing a panel in their history, The Stepford Cuckoo's powers are evolving.....all of this is new stuff that just doesn't get brought up again and it's stuff that he himself wrote. And the ending of the Dark Beast arc is the equivalent of saying " And now for something completely different".

These are all MAJOR problems that exist within his style of writing when dealing with larger cast, and it doesn't help that the guy is writing or supervising 6 comics at the moment and creating a tv show. He has to take whole issues to address the fact that Magneto hasn't spoken in 14 issues, and then he has to go back and do flashback issues for scenes from an event 4 months old. He's struggling to keep any sort of pace and it shows.

Now if you want a personal reason not to like him as a fan..... I can only tell you to checkout his X-position on CBR and read his reasons for not writing a panel about Exodus. It shows a level of smugness and arrogance that he would use a character for what he used it for and not take into account that if the character was important enough to be used in such a way it might be important enough to tell us why. He does it all the time and it's ridiculous the things he says. He just doesn't respect fans, and not in the "fans don't know what they want" way, but in a "I'll do what i want to do and you'll buy it" type of way. I know very few long time fans that can really stomach him whenever he talks about the X-Men.

comicawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: Thank you for explaning it, I can now see why he is so disliked by X-man fans.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

This

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

@xwraith said:

What writer does. Grant Morrison, Matt Fraction. No writer respect work done by previous writers.

DaymarePrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DaymarePrime

@time:

This is actually as much the editors of the books as it is the writers. They are supposed to review and request/make changes for obvious slights or oversights. The problem is some get away with it on the writing side if they are in a position of power.

Personally I enjoy Bendis for the most part but I agree his books have moved way too slow to bother reading any longer. He has proven historically he ends his runs or stories pretty poorly though. His growing arrogance and his self-proclaimed trolling has turned me off as a fan as well. I can usually respect the work while not liking the creator but he and Tom B (they really need to muzzle this guy) are really becoming rude and nasty toward fans. I get they probably get a ton of grief from readers and rained on constantly but they also get a paycheck from them...tough balance.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When he wants to write a good story, he does and ITS GOOD...

But it get to that point, you have to wait 6 frikken months or something...

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@koays said:

Basically I think the dislike for Bendis comes from two very different places with his two different books-

All New X-Men- It has a controversial premise but most have gotten past that. The real problem is that there's alot of weakness in his characters and plots.

Characters- Teen Jean and Cyclops were two very interesting characters to center around at first, however after Teen Cyke (Tyke) left no characters really stepped in to fill the void. Because of this Teen Jean is the central character in a book with 5 main characters (plus Kitty and the Uncanny team) and despite most of them having their own traumatic and devastating realizations that they could/should be dealing with....the only one we're meant to feel bad for is Teen Jean because she has to deal with her mortality. All an All this wouldn't be so bad but because no one else is in focus Teen Jean just seems annoying the more you realize that characters go out of their way to make her seem awesome.

Basically you have to feel bad for her because so many things will happen to her, in awe of how powerful she was/is/will be, astounded by her leadership skills, and impressed at how she handles new situations, and understanding of why everyone loves her.....with very little of this flowing naturally into eachother. She's essentially a Mary Sue, something which is really only so evident because characters like X-23, Angel and Beast are rarely explored and when they are it is in an unnatural way given their situations and is really on to distract before the story goes back to focusing on Jean.

Plot- The problem with Bendis' plot with this book is that there isnt one. "The O5 come to the future and have to deal with the individual and global changes that are the norm for todays X-Men" is a solid premise....the only problem is that it's neither been explored or built upon in any way. The O5 see the future and decide they don't like and want to change it, they risk the timeline by making the decision to stay and change it......and then they don't do anything. All of their problems seem to come to them, and all of their adventures end with similar messages like "the future isn't set in stone", "we make our own future" and "i'm my own person". So the characters motives for staying aren't being focused on and the things they are focusing on are repeated over an over with the characters coming out learning the same things and not changing from them. Teen Jean ended Bota, Trial of Jean Grey, and the Future Brotherhood arc resolving the same thing...and she's the only one that learned anything.

In about 35 issues there has been two that have focused on dealing with a problem in the present that wasn't caused by them and their arrival. Details that might be important like not being able to go back home, Mystique having 2 kids, the implication that Jean will lose control of her powers and Angel meeting his brain scrambled future self....there all forgotten and placed on the back burner. And currently we are going from a crossover with the Ultimate Universe that hasn't had any impact, to another crossover with the Black Vortex where the biggest thing we've been promised as far as this book is reuniting with Teen Cyclops. The book just doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Uncanny X-Men- Now while this book is miles over All New X-Men, and has a much more cohesive story based on years of developments that have brought us to this point....it's problems showcase Bendis' issue with the details.

Characters- The problem with Uncanny's characters is that while they're all likeable....they aren't explored beyond cliffnotes. "Cyclops is starting revolution to change the dynamic between humans and mutants in a more controversial way then the regular X-Men"- How is it controversial? Cause he punched a aggressive cop? No one seems to know. "Magneto believes that Scott's goal is worth supporting but is worried about the methods"- What worries him about them? Are they worse then his own? how committed is he to this idea?. No one seems to know. "Magik is loyal to Scott but isn't sure he realizes the gravity of what his actions will mean"- Is there a particular thing he's done that gives her pause or is it just the idea in general? "Emma Frost is.....Emma Frost?"- She feels vulnerable without her powers, she needs the Cuckoo's to fill a part of her, she's not averse to helping recruit new members....but she doesn't talk so who knows? Then theres half a dozen students who don't get enough screen time to attach too, Dazzler and Havok who recently joined and the fact that that he likes to include the JGS cast (Storm, Beast and Iceman) on a regular basis.

Basically there's this incredibly huge and interesting cast that has to be juggled and because of how slow paced the issues can be there's very little time to explore them or their motivations without dedicating a whole issue to it. Add to that the average Uncanny X-Men issue has about 17 pages of story and well......

Plot- And this is something that happens in All New X-Men as well.... Bendis likes to throw details out and not come back to them. Mystique is running Madripor, Dark Beast hates Cyclops despite never sharing a panel in their history, The Stepford Cuckoo's powers are evolving.....all of this is new stuff that just doesn't get brought up again and it's stuff that he himself wrote. And the ending of the Dark Beast arc is the equivalent of saying " And now for something completely different".

These are all MAJOR problems that exist within his style of writing when dealing with larger cast, and it doesn't help that the guy is writing or supervising 6 comics at the moment and creating a tv show. He has to take whole issues to address the fact that Magneto hasn't spoken in 14 issues, and then he has to go back and do flashback issues for scenes from an event 4 months old. He's struggling to keep any sort of pace and it shows.

Now if you want a personal reason not to like him as a fan..... I can only tell you to checkout his X-position on CBR and read his reasons for not writing a panel about Exodus. It shows a level of smugness and arrogance that he would use a character for what he used it for and not take into account that if the character was important enough to be used in such a way it might be important enough to tell us why. He does it all the time and it's ridiculous the things he says. He just doesn't respect fans, and not in the "fans don't know what they want" way, but in a "I'll do what i want to do and you'll buy it" type of way. I know very few long time fans that can really stomach him whenever he talks about the X-Men.

Don't mind me. Just gonna quote this to keep it handy in my forums history, because of awesomeness.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dman1366

@ms-lola said:

@koays said:

Don't mind me. Just gonna quote this to keep it handy in my forums history, because of awesomeness.

yo tambien

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Koays  Online
    Avatar image for currentthor2015
    CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CurrentThor2015

Oh boy, Bendis. I havent read any of his X-Men series, but I have flicked through some Ultimate Spider-Man (Miles Morales) volumes in book shops. The biggest problem I noticed was Miles's "Venom Blast" attack defeats every single enemy he goes up against. Miles has a lot of powers, but he only uses Venom Blast which instantly KO's his enemies. This is just borderline bad writing, heroes are ment to have challenges and get stronger after defeating tough enemies. Not one hitting every goddamn person you find.

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EC2277

You have already written a lot of right things about Bendis, but there is something that I have noticed: the numerous coarse mistake committed in the script.

A first mistake that I've noticed was in Battle of the Atom: Xavier kid said to be the grandson of Professor X, but in All New X-Men 29 he mysteriously became the Xavier's son.

Again in the first issue Mystique said that Scott was twelve (All New X-Men 6), but when Jean became an X-Men they was about sixteen years hold. In fact in the same issue we can see Scott drive a bike and in All New X-Men 33 Jean drove a car. Do I have to think that in the USA the children twelve years old can drive bike or car?

Am I that don't understand nothing of English (it can be) or am I right saying that is titles are full of coarse mistakes?

I hope I'm an huge ass with the English, because if I'm right it means that Bendis have a very low opinion, about his reader and their capacity of judgement.

UHypocrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely this lol

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's not a very good writer most of the time but he sells well all of the time.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh boy, Bendis. I havent read any of his X-Men series, but I have flicked through some Ultimate Spider-Man (Miles Morales) volumes in book shops. The biggest problem I noticed was Miles's "Venom Blast" attack defeats every single enemy he goes up against. Miles has a lot of powers, but he only uses Venom Blast which instantly KO's his enemies. This is just borderline bad writing, heroes are ment to have challenges and get stronger after defeating tough enemies. Not one hitting every goddamn person you find.

ty i didnt know about the "venom blast".........i guess its venom blast to the rescue in anxm

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Way too much decompression, continuity mistakes, OOC portrayals, and sometimes his dialogue is downright corny. Yet, I'm still enjoying his Uncanny run :~/

PhoenixEgg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PhoenixEgg

His main problem is laziness. Too lazy to construct real story arcs. Too lazy to actually delve into what makes the characters tick.

Unfortunately for those of us that don't dig his "style of writing", simple, unchallenging comics with silly dialogue sell really well.

So for the time being, and presumably for the next 5-8 years, X-Men is nothing but a cheap laugh joke franchise in an easy-to-read, don't-think-about-it-at-all format.

UHypocrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I know what is wrong with Bendis. He knows everybody hates him lol.

Duzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And yet he is the go to guy for Marvel, he sell their books and done major storyline. What if the writers that you want on the books don't WANT to be on the books?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tomofukuoka:
    @tomofukuoka:

Duzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Duzz

@transformers1024 said:

That's actually pretty funny! I like the No More Phoenix Line, it was very fun. All of his books are fun. There are no "IC" for any character. The only IC that you can have is whatever the current author writes for it. There is no singular creator like a Eastern Manga artist who actually can dictate what is IC and OC. Comic books heroes are made to be flexible. So whatever official writer is at the helm? Yeah that's IC, and as much as I despise JMS run on Spiderman by making her fuck Osborn. That was IC for her too.

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
    deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

He's the Michael Bay from comics

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Koays  Online

@duzz: I think your missing the point of being a character in a continuing narrative. While each character is up to the writers interpretation the point of being a character in a continuing narrative is that the previous events and decisions of the individual impact them and build a personality over time.

A creator change may mean that character may become more docile or aggressive or similar interpretable characteristics, but it doesn't change X-23 into a valley girl or Prof. X into a shy reluctant speaker without the development necessary to facilitate the change.

Change in character without a catalyst is out of character.

Duzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Duzz

@koays said:

@duzz: I think your missing the point of being a character in a continuing narrative. While each character is up to the writers interpretation the point of being a character in a continuing narrative is that the previous events and decisions of the individual impact them and build a personality over time.

A creator change may mean that character may become more docile or aggressive or similar interpretable characteristics, but it doesn't change X-23 into a valley girl or Prof. X into a shy reluctant speaker without the development necessary to facilitate the change.

Change in character without a catalyst is out of character.

True but each creator change is to ensure that new fans can pick up a comic book and not be lost. I recently introduced my nephew to All new X-Men and he have thus far been on board with it. He know Diddly squat about each of the character extensive history but to me that was a good spot for him to jump on board because it pretty much wipe the slate clean. In character or not is subject to change. I have read most of his works, nothing seem too out of character for me. Maybe you can show me where you feel he writes OoC stuff?

I have never seen Benedis protrayl X-23 as a valley girl or Prof X as a shy reluctant speaker.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Koays  Online

@duzz: No one is saying that a creator change has to be a continuity slave or stuck catering to the always decreasing number of long term fans. But Astonishing under Whedon, Uncanny under Fraction, Gillen and even Bendis have built on top of eachothers portrayals of Cyclops. You can trace the characters evolution and development through those stories and its rewarding.

Compare that to Bendis' X-23. Who despite being formerly portrayed as introverted and slow to show emotion and even weary and lacking understanding of regular behavior has her first focus issue involve her going to a night club to forget her problems and then hooking up with Angel. Something which is out of character based on what we've seen of her and is never explained.

All New X-Men may be a good jump on point, but that doesn't excuse poor plot and lack of character development. The fact that its a leading X-title and has these problems is where peoples issues come in.

Xavier and X-23,were just "for instances". The real ooc stuff comes in the form of Gladiator during the trial of Jean Grey arc and X-23 immediately afterwards. Uncanny also has Magneto jumping all over the place in his depiction.

Duzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@duzz: No one is saying that a creator change has to be a continuity slave or stuck catering to the always decreasing number of long term fans. But Astonishing under Whedon, Uncanny under Fraction, Gillen and even Bendis have built on top of eachothers portrayals of Cyclops. You can trace the characters evolution and development through those stories and its rewarding.

Compare that to Bendis' X-23. Who despite being formerly portrayed as introverted and slow to show emotion and even weary and lacking understanding of regular behavior has her first focus issue involve her going to a night club to forget her problems and then hooking up with Angel. Something which is out of character based on what we've seen of her and is never explained.

All New X-Men may be a good jump on point, but that doesn't excuse poor plot and lack of character development. The fact that its a leading X-title and has these problems is where peoples issues come in.

Xavier and X-23,were just "for instances". The real ooc stuff comes in the form of Gladiator during the trial of Jean Grey arc and X-23 immediately afterwards. Uncanny also has Magneto jumping all over the place in his depiction.

Well, Joss Whedon is kind of the head honcho at MCU now, the best ones will be move on to bigger and better project. Example Mark Millar The Ultimate Storyline with the Aliens ? That was Joss building on the bones for his Avengers movie. Now Mark Millar opened up his own comics line and have movies base on his own comics. I don't think he would work for Marvel or DC unless he have to anymore. Bendis seem to be solid and enjoy writing for Marvel. He's a solid mainstay, the new tagline "Age of Ultron" was a Bendis inspired storyline.

I read the Gladiator, he didn't seem OOC at all, I think Benedis added another layer to the Phoenix fall out making it more... real. He also built on End of Greys by Chris Claremont with the Shi'ar wiping out the Grey family line. I can see Galdiator gloating about it so he could prosecute Young Jean Grey. As for Magento, he's always been complicated, he an anti-hero, jumping all over the place is what he does best. That to me is inline with his portrayal. X-23 could have been with Young Scott a bit more but I guess fans don't want to see that. Who knows maybe she learned after her relationship with Hellion and what not.

I haven't seen anything that's so bad that warrant all the hate. You can't write to please everyone but if the books are selling then that means he's doing something right.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Koays  Online

@duzz: That's just....wrong.

Whedon's Astonishing was in 2004 and yet its considered the beginning of Cyclops character path. My point is that writers build on or develop characters based on where the previous writer left off. The success of a writer before or afterward is of no consequence if their story is good.

You have to remember with Gladiator that he has not been absent from print. From end of greys he was in Rise and Fall of Shiar, then War of Kings aligning himself with Rachel who had the phoenix and from their he made several appearances leading up to AvX. He's sent his son to be taught at the Jean Grey School where one of the instructors is Rachel Grey her daughter. Jean was alive and well for nearly 20years of comics after the phoenix so... If their is a reason that all of a sudden he needs Jean to pay for her crimes I'd like to see it written on panel since he's never expressed this desire before.

X-23 has been in print nonstop since 04. We've seen everything she's been through. None of that is inline with Bendis' portrayal.

But again that wouldn't be a problem if he explained the change or the development. Which he doesn't.

By no standard is Bendis' run on All New X-Men good even when ignoring the continuity issues completely the story goes no where. Sales have never been an indicator of quality in any medium and while Bendis has done excellent work on Ultimate Spiderman, he's done just as badly on this as he's done good their.

The reason for "hate" is because it's multiple problems across 3 franchises and very little addressing of them despite his books going into their 3rd year. If he addressed the problems instead of letting them pile on...maybe ppl wouldn't be so critical. But spending money every week and not seeing improvement will lead people to dislike the writer....especially when your only other option is to abandon the franchise you've followed for years up until now.

Duzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@duzz: That's just....wrong.

Whedon's Astonishing was in 2004 and yet its considered the beginning of Cyclops character path. My point is that writers build on or develop characters based on where the previous writer left off. The success of a writer before or afterward is of no consequence if their story is good.

You have to remember with Gladiator that he has not been absent from print. From end of greys he was in Rise and Fall of Shiar, then War of Kings aligning himself with Rachel who had the phoenix and from their he made several appearances leading up to AvX. He's sent his son to be taught at the Jean Grey School where one of the instructors is Rachel Grey her daughter. Jean was alive and well for nearly 20years of comics after the phoenix so... If their is a reason that all of a sudden he needs Jean to pay for her crimes I'd like to see it written on panel since he's never expressed this desire before.

X-23 has been in print nonstop since 04. We've seen everything she's been through. None of that is inline with Bendis' portrayal.

But again that wouldn't be a problem if he explained the change or the development. Which he doesn't.

By no standard is Bendis' run on All New X-Men good even when ignoring the continuity issues completely the story goes no where. Sales have never been an indicator of quality in any medium and while Bendis has done excellent work on Ultimate Spiderman, he's done just as badly on this as he's done good their.

The reason for "hate" is because it's multiple problems across 3 franchises and very little addressing of them despite his books going into their 3rd year. If he addressed the problems instead of letting them pile on...maybe ppl wouldn't be so critical. But spending money every week and not seeing improvement will lead people to dislike the writer....especially when your only other option is to abandon the franchise you've followed for years up until now.

I guess we have to agree to disagree. I quite enjoy his run on most of his works. Of course my favorite writers are, Grant Morrison, Ron Marz, Bendis, Millar and Mark Waid but only 70% of the time.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Koays  Online

@duzz: Lol wow....if You know if this was a DC forum you and I would be friends.

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ParaChomp

@tomofukuoka: The first panel doesn't bother me, however I don't know the context. The second one I found was simple and works but again it's out of context and in context it's so underwhelming. The third panel is killing me, I love it because it's so bad. Was that taking place during AXIS? Who's Doom talking to?

Bendis has been with Marvel for a while and is going no where (literally not figuratively). He can write, I've seen it but currently his work is slow and over the top without style. That and he's on way too many books. Seriously Marvel, you have a leak; relieve the stress before it floods.

Duzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@duzz: Lol wow....if You know if this was a DC forum you and I would be friends.

Hey! I feel like we're friends already :D

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Koays  Online

@duzz: Well high five then.

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ParaChomp

@tomofukuoka: That's clearly Carol Danvers in her old attire. I don't know what to say but thank you for giving me some context. Also why did you quote my second paragraph but not my first? I'm not complaining, it's a small detail that makes me curious.

Also, I really miss Wolverine and the X-Men...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.