What is the best X-Men story arc?

#1 Posted by Ninja_girl_x (35 posts) - - Show Bio

Lots of people say that Dark Phoenix Saga is the best X-Men storyline, but I'm not convinced. What do you guys think?

#2 Posted by Rixon (15 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with you ,this is not the best one.

#3 Posted by blazinasian112 (895 posts) - - Show Bio

Messiah Trilogy (Messiah Complex, Messiah War, Second Coming) or Dark Angel Saga

#4 Posted by cattlebattle (12586 posts) - - Show Bio

 
@blazinasian112 said:

Messiah Trilogy (Messiah Complex, Messiah War, Second Coming) or Dark Angel Saga

You have got to be kidding.....
 
 
God Loves, Man Kills
Death Hunt
Divided he stands
Mutant Massacre
Life and Death
New X-Men (all of it)
Dark Phoenix
#5 Edited by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

Dark Phoenix Saga
God Loves Man Kills
Days of Future Past
Gifted (Astonishing X-Men Joss Whedon)
 
At least the best stories to me so far. As for what is the best X-Men story arc, I think it varies from person to person since I keep hearing different X-Men story arcs that are their favorites.

#6 Posted by Ebbm (1118 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@blazinasian112 said:

Messiah Trilogy (Messiah Complex, Messiah War, Second Coming) or Dark Angel Saga

You have got to be kidding..... God Loves, Man Kills Death Hunt Divided he stands Mutant Massacre Life and Death New X-Men (all of it) Dark Phoenix

Grant Morrison's?

#7 Posted by cattlebattle (12586 posts) - - Show Bio
@Ebbm said:

@cattlebattle said:

@blazinasian112 said:

Messiah Trilogy (Messiah Complex, Messiah War, Second Coming) or Dark Angel Saga

You have got to be kidding..... God Loves, Man Kills Death Hunt Divided he stands Mutant Massacre Life and Death New X-Men (all of it) Dark Phoenix

Grant Morrison's?

Yes
#8 Posted by saoakden (1018 posts) - - Show Bio

I've only read a couple of X-Men stories and so far Second Coming is the best one I read. Plenty of action, and interesting story. Its a real page turner. I've also read the first two trades of Uncanny X-Force. Apocalypse Solution is interesting but the last few pages make you think woah did they really do that? And Deathlok Nation was good to read.

@Ninja_girl_x: Just curious, are you just looking for the best stories for the team books? Or do you count the X-Men members as well like Wolverine or Deadpool?

#9 Posted by Ebbm (1118 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@Ebbm said:

@cattlebattle said:

@blazinasian112 said:

Messiah Trilogy (Messiah Complex, Messiah War, Second Coming) or Dark Angel Saga

You have got to be kidding..... God Loves, Man Kills Death Hunt Divided he stands Mutant Massacre Life and Death New X-Men (all of it) Dark Phoenix

Grant Morrison's?

Yes

It was good until the whole Magneto thing.

#10 Posted by Onemoreposter (3950 posts) - - Show Bio

New X-Men. In Grant we Trust.

#11 Posted by BurningDoom1 (187 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorite was hands-down the original Age of Apocalypse saga and it's lead-in story Legion Quest. Fantastic in every aspect. Great storytelling, awesome artwork, a grand-scope, and quite collectible.

#12 Posted by royale_with_cheese (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: I don't know about you, but I thought Messiah Complex was outstanding. Marvel really did well by establishing Bishop as the traitor, which was ironic considering Bishop had originally thought that Gambit was the one to betray the X-men. Messiah War, really shouldn't be apart of the trilogy seeing how for the most part of the story, neither Stryfe or Apocalypse realized how paramount Hope was to the future of the mutant race. Nonetheless, it's always good to see Apocalypse in action (and drawn by Clayton Crain mind you).

There were two problems that I had with Morrison's run on X-men:

  1. Their outfits sucked.
  2. It was so lame for an omega level mutant such as Jean to die via a stroke administeredby Xorn.

Fatal Attractions will always be the definitive X-men story in my mind.

#13 Posted by daak1212 (7901 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@blazinasian112 said:

Messiah Trilogy (Messiah Complex, Messiah War, Second Coming) or Dark Angel Saga

You have got to be kidding..... God Loves, Man Kills Death Hunt Divided he stands Mutant Massacre Life and Death New X-Men (all of it) Dark Phoenix

Good list except you dotn have Dark Angel Saga and New X-men was kinda...eh, except Xorn. Xorn(magneto) was outstanding in the begining then he turned douchey. Seriously doing kick in the bathrooms? Oh also AOA and Danger

#14 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

Anything not written by Chuck Austen.

AoA was great, only problem i had with it though is that it is collected over 40 issues... but its kinda cool because it re-imagines the whole X-Universe, art work was decent, overall story-line was great.

#15 Posted by Skaddix (3112 posts) - - Show Bio

@royale_with_cheese said:

@cattlebattle: I don't know about you, but I thought Messiah Complex was outstanding. Marvel really did well by establishing Bishop as the traitor, which was ironic considering Bishop had originally thought that Gambit was the one to betray the X-men. Messiah War, really shouldn't be apart of the trilogy seeing how for the most part of the story, neither Stryfe or Apocalypse realized how paramount Hope was to the future of the mutant race. Nonetheless, it's always good to see Apocalypse in action (and drawn by Clayton Crain mind you).

There were two problems that I had with Morrison's run on X-men:

  1. Their outfits sucked.
  2. It was so lame for an omega level mutant such as Jean to die via a stroke administeredby Xorn.

Fatal Attractions will always be the definitive X-men story in my mind.

bishop retcon was horrible and made no sense. in my book more trolling of minority male mutants.

#16 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

Dark Phoenix Saga is fantastic.

  • Dark Phoenix Saga.
  • Days of Future Past.
  • Mutant Massacre.
  • Inferno.
  • Legion Quest/Age of Apocalypse.
  • Grant Morrison's New X-Men.
  • Messiah Complex/Second Coming.
  • Joss Whedon's Astonishing.
  • Dark Angel Saga.

Etc.

I personally really liked Operation: Zero Tolerance and Age of X too.

@royale_with_cheese said:

@cattlebattle: I don't know about you, but I thought Messiah Complex was outstanding. Marvel really did well by establishing Bishop as the traitor, which was ironic considering Bishop had originally thought that Gambit was the one to betray the X-men. Messiah War, really shouldn't be apart of the trilogy seeing how for the most part of the story, neither Stryfe or Apocalypse realized how paramount Hope was to the future of the mutant race. Nonetheless, it's always good to see Apocalypse in action (and drawn by Clayton Crain mind you).

There were two problems that I had with Morrison's run on X-men:

  1. Their outfits sucked.
  2. It was so lame for an omega level mutant such as Jean to die via a stroke administeredby Xorn.

Fatal Attractions will always be the definitive X-men story in my mind.

Messiah Complex and Second Coming were fantastic. Messiah war was poor, plus it cut in right in the middle of an X-Force arc. There was literally no meaningful fallout from Messiah War; it just served to vilify Bishop that bit more by aligning him with Stryfe, when Cable Vol.3 (also poor) was doing that job already.

I, personally, loved the New X-Men costumes.

Just because they're an Omega level mutant doesn't mean they can't die. It was a massive, I quote, "planetary-scale EMP", plus it's not as though she really died...

#17 Posted by RPatrick (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Messiah Complex and Second Coming. Both tight, well-done stories with great action beats and character moments.

#18 Posted by RogueOracle (242 posts) - - Show Bio

Dark Phoenix Saga will always be my first love. I really liked Age of Apocalypse and even Age of X. Gifted by Joss Whedon also.

#19 Posted by PowerHerc (81637 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Phoenix Saga is the best X-arc of all-time.

It's been all downhill for the X-Men ever since.

#20 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7264 posts) - - Show Bio

Mutant Massacre, The Fall Of The Mutants and Inferno.

#21 Edited by time (4876 posts) - - Show Bio

Age of Apocalypse(90's), X-Cutioner's Song, Fatal Attractions (Dreams Fade), Mutant Genesis (the 90's). These are the best stories ever written.

#22 Posted by rasx (242 posts) - - Show Bio

my favorites are:

1. Onslaught

2. Here Comes Tomorrow

3. Messiah Complex

#23 Posted by WeaponX619 (79 posts) - - Show Bio

@BurningDoom1 said:

My favorite was hands-down the original Age of Apocalypse saga and it's lead-in story Legion Quest. Fantastic in every aspect. Great storytelling, awesome artwork, a grand-scope, and quite collectible.

1. This

2. Uncanny X-Force Dark Angel Saga

3. Dark Phoenix Saga

4. GM New X-Men

5. Astonishing

6. Messiah - Second Coming

not particularly in this order either

#24 Posted by Girth (1041 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Mutant Genesis
  2. Apocalypse Solution
  3. Dark Angel Saga
  4. Age of Apocalypse
#25 Posted by Hysteria (226 posts) - - Show Bio

Fatal attractions man. One of the all time greats.

#26 Posted by mr_gone (203 posts) - - Show Bio

Does Apocalypse vs. Dracula count? (just kidding) I have to agree with the above statement, fatal attractions is incredibly good to read. the art and story are very enjoyable.

#27 Posted by jonnystorm777 (44 posts) - - Show Bio

The Messiah Trilogy is by far my favorite. I have read second coming about 5 times already. The art and story is great. Very Dark and fast paced.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.