Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

What event was better AvX or BotA

• 58 results
    Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What event was better AvX or BotA (56 votes)

AvX 46%
    BotA 54%

I cant beleve I'm saying this but I actually liked AvX better. Its made Cyclops go in a different direction and superheros fighting other superheros(how often do you see that???

• 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

They both suck.

Tohoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Tohoma

BotA is better imo.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Wolverine008

@squares said:

They both suck.

More or less.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

The only thing about BOTA that i can say was good was seeing different versions of the x men in the future. But the story itself...to much time travel.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

I didn't like either.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By adamTRMM

While AvX had it's moments, every X-fan knows why and how bad it was. Now, BOTA is the whole new different kind of sh*t. Honestly, I'd really like to stop complain and start to enjoy, I just don't get a chance.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

Do people not understand this question?

It doesn't matter if you hated both, you can still pick a "better" one.

dbatdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dbatdog

i got to go with both of them sucks...that's why i dropped the all new x-men...thank you marvel.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

BOTA

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AvX was better IMO. BOTA made me dropped All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AvX was better IMO. BOTA made me dropped All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men

hopefully x-men will get better

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

The story in the Avengers Vs. X-Men12 issue series was better considerably than the story of the Battle of the Atom10 issue crossover.

But the Avengers vs. X-Men 82 issue "event", that dominated almost every X-men and Avengers comic that came out for six or seven months, that sucked.

Battle of the Atom wasn't good, but at least it was over quickly and wasn't stretched over too many books. It was kind of just like All-new X-men crossed over into the other X-men books for a few months and now it's over.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll say BotA was better than AvX, but that's not really saying a great deal.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The story in the Avengers Vs. X-Men12 issue series was better considerably than the story of the Battle of the Atom10 issue crossover.

But the Avengers vs. X-Men 82 issue "event", that dominated almost every X-men and Avengers comic that came out for six or seven months, that sucked.

Battle of the Atom wasn't good, but at least it was over quickly and wasn't stretched over too many books. It was kind of just like All-new X-men crossed over into the other X-men books for a few months and now it's over.

So true especially with the middle part. Too many tie-ins

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HAWK2916

BOTA was one of the worst ever. I actually felt ashamed to be an xfan. AVX could have been done better but by far it is superior. AVX all the way!!!!

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By oldnightcrawler

So true especially with the middle part. Too many tie-ins

It's one of the ways that Secret Wars (1984, 12 issues) was better than Secret Wars II (1985, 43 issues): it was completely self-contained.

I find most Marvel event books are decent, in and of themselves, but generally just end up spreading the ideas too thin between too many (generally superfluous) tie-ins with on-going series.

Strait-up crossovers (or event-crossover hybrids) are just generally weak on characterization anyway, compared to any half-decent run of just about any on-going book.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AvX. It actually mattered in terms of team shake ups and created a new direction for a host of characters. Battle of the Atom has been forgotten already.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AvX. It actually mattered in terms of team shake ups and created a new direction for a host of characters. Battle of the Atom has been forgotten already.

This is a good point, and it is one of the things I actually did like about AvsX was the way that it changed the directions for a lot of characters. And it was just a better story, even if I wasn't crazy about the execution of it.

BotA, was, in my opinion, just not a great story (or well executed).

That said, I do feel like part of the direction they wanted to go coming out of it was to make the individual books more autonomous, and, at least in that they seem to be going in the right direction.

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tomchu

@rickbarry said:

This is a good point, and it is one of the things I actually did like about AvsX was the way that it changed the directions for a lot of characters. And it was just a better story, even if I wasn't crazy about the execution of it.

BotA, was, in my opinion, just not a great story (or well executed).

That said, I do feel like part of the direction they wanted to go coming out of it was to make the individual books more autonomous, and, at least in that they seem to be going in the right direction.

It feels like BotA had really, really little impact overall. A bunch of new characters die, not that many new characters are introduced which arent some by-product of an old character, Kitty Pryde changes sides. No one really dies, no significant new X-Men, and the dream is exactly the in same position as it was before.

AvX, while bad, at least made some progress in pushing X-Books in a new direction. Just use a Before/After chart.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

awful both awful

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

In retrospect, the decline of quality in these respective stories and the amount of line-wide hype and marketing promotion put into their release prior to hitting the shelves--really makes you wonder about how Marvel feels about the X-Office. AvX was one thing and BOTA was something else altogether. They could have been amazing stories, classics even, but no...

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BoTA. AvX painted Cyclops as a villain. He's not.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In retrospect, the decline of quality in these respective stories and the amount of line-wide hype and marketing promotion put into their release prior to hitting the shelves--really makes you wonder about how Marvel feels about the X-Office. AvX was one thing and BOTA was something else altogether. They could have been amazing stories, classics even, but no...

This is a good point. I actually think that in 5 or 10 years, AvsX probably will be considered a classic by many. By then, lots of people will have read it in trade format, without having to wade through (or ignore) months of tie-ins, and it will be looked at with some nostalgia as an epic of a bygone era, like the Secret Wars, the Civil War, or House of M.

BotA will probably only be fondly remembered by people who feel nostalgic about the "All-new X-men" because that's the X-men they grew up with or started reading first or whatever, having little to offer anyone else.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30

Well said.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They both sucked.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

They both had their highlights and they both had there pointless stupid moments.

And honestly I felt they both could have gone in better directions storywise.

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

avx had its flaws but the overall story wasnt that bad. it just kinda took over too much of the marvel comics. bota seemed kinda pointless and didnt make much of an impact. but it was that large. i however did like avxs outcomes but the only real outcomes i liked from bota was the o5 joining cyclops and how watxm new series will focus more on kid omega and other students

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know it's maybe a blasphemy, but I found the concept of P5 really exciting. They were portrayed kibda crazy mostly, but as the force itself bound heavily to mutant stories I don't think it should be associated with JG only, so seeing other mutants, especially Cycolps merge with it was an iteresting idea. It wasn't handled that good though, because you know 'CA was right'. It still was nice to see Cyclops from PF point of view this time. While in BOTA I couldn't find a single panel I could enjoy.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

I know it's maybe a blasphemy, but I found the concept of P5 really exciting. They were portrayed kibda crazy mostly, but as the force itself bound heavily to mutant stories I don't think it should be associated with JG only, so seeing other mutants, especially Cycolps merge with it was an iteresting idea. It wasn't handled that good though, because you know 'CA was right'. It still was nice to see Cyclops from PF point of view this time. While in BOTA I couldn't find a single panel I could enjoy.

Plus battle of the atom had annoying sub-plots like dazzler president or emma vs jean(for the millionth time). Although Kitty leaving with the o5 to join cykes team was a $%&*&-slap to the face for wolverine....lol

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By tigerkaya

Haven't known much of BOTA but AvsX really pissed me off the most. It taught me that X-men truly are better off in their own mythos isolated from the Marvel U. Plus it brought about Uncanny Avengers another reason to hate the event. It was one sided, out of character and above all else characters from Gambit to Thor were nothing more than punching bags to laughable. Even the fights at times seemed out of place, as in Spider-Man beating Firelord horrid. So in short, X-men go back to dealing with mutant problems and Avengers should stay as far away from mutant issues as possible.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AvX Had ridiculous reasoning for why the heroes were fighting each other. BotA had everyone apparently forgetting why exactly time travel is a bad thing, and why you shouldn't try to fix time travel with more time travel. So both rely on everyone being an idiot. Gonna go with AvX, I didn't like the way so many characters were involved, but at least it further shook things up and changed the status quo.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CheeseSticks

AvX was better because it had actual action. BOTA was just terrible dialogue and slow pace event. It could have been done in 3 issues.

GonnaRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AvX had the Phoenix 5 costumes, therefore, it's better for me.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AvX Had ridiculous reasoning for why the heroes were fighting each other. BotA had everyone apparently forgetting why exactly time travel is a bad thing, and why you shouldn't try to fix time travel with more time travel. So both rely on everyone being an idiot. Gonna go with AvX, I didn't like the way so many characters were involved, but at least it further shook things up and changed the status quo.

AvX was better because it had actual action. BOTA was just terrible dialogue and slow pace event. It could have been done in 3 issues.

Both make good points. I still like avx better. No one would remember bota except x-men fans

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By oldnightcrawler

1. Haven't known much of BOTA but AvsX really pissed me off the most.It taught me that X-men truly are better off in their own mythos isolated from the Marvel U.
    2. Plus it brought about Uncanny Avengers another reason to hate the event. It was one sided, out of character and above all else characters from Gambit to Thor were nothing more than punching bags to laughable. Even the fights at times seemed out of place, as in Spider-Man beating Firelord horrid. So in short, X-men go back to dealing with mutant problems and Avengers should stay as far away from mutant issues as possible.

1. haha! you really never talk about anything other than this weird fantasy of yours, do you?

2. Though Avengers Vs. X-Men was a pretty week event (like most big crossover events), Uncanny Avengers is still the best Avengers book in years. If you want to give credit to AvsX for bringing this wonderful book into existence, it just serves as more justification for big, sloppy events like it. But no one needs to read AvsX to rationalize Uncanny Avengers, it stands just fine on it's own.

Because Uncanny Avengers is great!

:P

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: I agree with this. In fact i will go a step further and say that Uncanny Avengers is not only the best Avengers book out right now but also the best Xmen book as well. This current arc feels like a huge event and is much more worthy of being the 50th anniversary event than what we got. In fact AVX itself could have been the 50th anniversary event, it was that big as far as changing the status quo. I personally would have loved to get more time with Gillen's concept of the Extinction team prior to everything being sucked into the AVX story.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916:

Also BotA was suppose to be the 50 anniversary of x-men that "we were waiting for" and it was just nothing except for the same old thing. Aslo BotA should have been shorter and if the 51th anniversary is writing by bendis again and not going to even bother with it.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tigerkaya said:
    1. Haven't known much of BOTA but AvsX really pissed me off the most.It taught me that X-men truly are better off in their own mythos isolated from the Marvel U.
    2. Plus it brought about Uncanny Avengers another reason to hate the event. It was one sided, out of character and above all else characters from Gambit to Thor were nothing more than punching bags to laughable. Even the fights at times seemed out of place, as in Spider-Man beating Firelord horrid. So in short, X-men go back to dealing with mutant problems and Avengers should stay as far away from mutant issues as possible.

1. haha! you really never talk about anything other than this weird fantasy of yours, do you?

2. Though Avengers Vs. X-Men was a pretty week event (like most big crossover events), Uncanny Avengers is still the best Avengers book in years. If you want to give credit to AvsX for bringing this wonderful book into existence, it just serves as more justification for big, sloppy events like it. But no one needs to read AvsX to rationalize Uncanny Avengers, it stands just fine on it's own.

Because Uncanny Avengers is great!

:P

Is it just me or is uncanny avengers trying to still push avengers rather then x-men? They killed off Rogue. Havok looks like a joke being in-charge, which by the way captain america did to make scott jealous/angry.....lol

Uncanny avengers does have some x-men in it but it still feels like an avengers book then x-men and not mixed like its suppose to be.

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@squares said:

They both suck.

i agree. I only liked the AVX issue with Spider-Man taking down Colossus and Magik

Avatar image for the_goddess_of_chaos
    The_Goddess_of_Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

They both suck.

i agree. I only liked the AVX issue with Spider-Man taking down Colossus and Magik

lol i liked that issue too. I cant believe people liked BotA, all it had was the same old story and more drama then fighting/battles. I mean there was suppose to be an epic change at the end of bota but there wasn't except for kitty and the o5 leaving or knowing that shield has sentinels. Even more confusing how the hell did maria hill not know about the sentinels and the missiles/bombs. Thats her fr#%$ing job, it made her look like an idiot.

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@thefirstlantern said:

@squares said:

They both suck.

lol i liked that issue too. I cant believe people liked BotA, all it had was the same old story and more drama then fighting/battles. I mean there was suppose to be an epic change at the end of bota but there wasn't except for kitty and the o5 leaving or knowing that shield has sentinels. Even more confusing how the hell did maria hill not know about the sentinels and the missiles/bombs. Thats her fr#%$ing job, it made her look like an idiot.

Totally agree with you. What a waste of my money. I only have that one issue, my teacher bought the whole story and i felt bad for him.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it just me or is uncanny avengers trying to still push avengers rather then x-men? They killed off Rogue. Havok looks like a joke being in-charge, which by the way captain america did to make scott jealous/angry.....lol

Uncanny avengers does have some x-men in it but it still feels like an avengers book then x-men and not mixed like its suppose to be.

have you actually read it?

if you haven't, you should. It is an Avengers book (still don't get why people don't get that..), but it's also one of the best books marvel's put out in years. I'm an X-men fan, and this is the first time in years that either Rogue or Havok have been interesting or relevant.

At least read it before you judge.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'd say AvX a little better. But both of them weren't really good.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 the_stegman  Moderator

AvX is the lesser of two evils.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AvX is the lesser of two evils.

lol

I'd say AvX a little better. But both of them weren't really good.

Agreed

SummersBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any X-Men event can ultimately be judged by its usage of the Fastball Special:

AvX - Magneto & Colossus taking down a SHIELD helicarrier

BotA: Ice Hulk & Raze

Since nobody cares about the latter two characters, AvX takes the win.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any X-Men event can ultimately be judged by its usage of the Fastball Special:

AvX - Magneto & Colossus taking down a SHIELD helicarrier

BotA: Ice Hulk & Raze

Since nobody cares about the latter two characters, AvX takes the win.

Right on :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.