What do you think of these male characters?

#1 Edited by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

Similar to Time's topic,    Out of these woman, what do you think?, this is about the males in the X-Men universe.  Which male characters do you like and which male characters do you hate and tell us why.
 
Wolverine 
 
Cyclops
 
Colossus
 
Nightcrawler
 
Gambit
 
Iceman
 
Beast
 
Charles Xavier
 
Archangel
 
Magneto 
 
Banshee
 
Cable 
 
X-Man
 
Bishop
 
Namor
 
Havok
 
Here are my opinions: 
 
Wolverine - I have always loved Wolverine when I was small and I still enjoy reading his stories during Chris Claremont's earlier run since he is such an interesting character! I'm not sure about how I feel about Wolverine currently since his character is being changed constantly, but he has always been a favorite character of mine!
 
Cyclops - To be honest, I haven't been a huge fan of Cyclops even though I liked him during the 90s and I loved him in Joss Whedon's run of "Astonishing X-Men"
 
Colossus - I just love this character to death!  He's one of my most favorite X-Men characters because he always has such a kind heart and a gentle nature and it was that personality that made me love him even more!  Even though he's Juggernaut now, I still love him! 
 
Nightcrawler - Another huge favorite character of mine as he is always trying to make friends and I always loved his lovable nature.
 
Gambit - I just loved this guy because of his cool accent and the fact that he has a fiery personality that really made me get attached to him.
 
Iceman - I have always loved Iceman's laid back and hilarious attitude. He's like the comic relief that every story needs!
 
Beast - I loved Beast when he first came out on the X-Men as he was a genius who can tell really great jokes when he wants to. Now, I don't like where his personality is going...
 
Charles Xavier - I liked the fact that he played a major role in creating the X-Men, but the current stories about him lately has me kind of weary about him.
  
Magneto - I loved him as a main villain, but it's kind of hard to like him as a hero.
 
Banshee - I loved his earlier appearance in X-Men as he was fun to be with, although I wished that they show him more in the current X-Men stories and haven't killed him off.

#2 Posted by cattlebattle (12793 posts) - - Show Bio

I have never really liked Cable due to his time travel backstory, overly complicated if you ask me. Besides, hasn't been altered like 50 times now?? you would figure he wouldn't exist anymore, or he would be drastically different......bah, time travel gives everyone a headache.
 
I do not like Namor, I never have and I still don't know why he is with the X-Men, I thought he had problems with surface dwellers.
 
I have no qualms with the rest of the them as I think they are all legendary and great characters in their own way
 
Oh yeah, I wish Nightcrawler and Banshee weren't dead, and Bishop wasn't a bad guy

#3 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle said:
I have never really liked Cable due to his time travel backstory, overly complicated if you ask me. Besides, hasn't been altered like 50 times now?? you would figure he wouldn't exist anymore, or he would be drastically different......bah, time travel gives everyone a headache.  I do not like Namor, I never have and I still don't know why he is with the X-Men, I thought he had problems with surface dwellers.  I have no qualms with the rest of the them as I think they are all legendary and great characters in their own way  Oh yeah, I wish Nightcrawler and Banshee weren't dead, and Bishop wasn't a bad guy
Yeah, I really wish they brought back Banshee and Nightcrawler back already.
#4 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Namor but he should not be an X-Man and the fact that he takes orders from Cyclops is completely out of character for him

#5 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:

I love Namor but he should not be an X-Man and the fact that he takes orders from Cyclops is completely out of character for him

I think lately, Marvel has been writing too many characters out of character, which upsets me to no end.
#6 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

They're all great characters when written well.

#7 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio
@jrock85 said:

They're all great characters when written well.

I agree. I think it all comes down to how the characters are written.
#8 Posted by unicornpuncher (418 posts) - - Show Bio

Im a fan of Cable. It would be nice to get some more stories from some of the new Xmen as well as keep seeing more of Quentin.

#9 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

@unicornpuncher said:

Im a fan of Cable. It would be nice to get some more stories from some of the new Xmen as well as keep seeing more of Quentin.

Yeah! I definitely want to see more stories of the New X-Men!

#10 Posted by RyuHayabusa (2019 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambit is just awesome

#11 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

Really can relate to your reasoning behind your interest in colossus. It's why silver surfer is my favorite characters. Characters of great power but find the restraint in themselves to use it are just awesome and I think reflect how we should live as well.

#12 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz said:

Really can relate to your reasoning behind your interest in colossus. It's why silver surfer is my favorite characters. Characters of great power but find the restraint in themselves to use it are just awesome and I think reflect how we should live as well.

Exactly! I loved characters who try to control themselves no matter how powerful they get!

#13 Posted by papad1992 (6831 posts) - - Show Bio

HATE:

Wolverine

Cyclops

Charles Xavier

Cable

X-Man

Bishop

Namor

LIKE:

Gambit

Beast

Magneto

Archangel

Colossus

Havok

LOVE:

Nightcrawler

Iceman

Banshee

:)

#14 Edited by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine: hmm, Wolverine in small doses is a great thing, anymore than 5 or 6 lines in a shared team book is way to much Wolverine for me

Cyclops: My favorite comic character ever.

Colossus: Awesome

Nightcrawler: Pretty good

Gambit: I used to really like him before I started reading comics, now he's alright

Iceman: Second favorite X-man

Beast: He's a complete douche bag now days

Charles Xavier: Cool dude, deserves more screen time but not if he replaces Cyke

Archangel: Meh

Magneto: 10 out of 10 if Iceman isn't my second favorite X-man then Magneto is

Banshee: Eh, his daughters better

Cable: Awesome

X-Man: Awesome, you know what All Cyke's kids are awesome

Bishop: Awesome, hate that he's evil now

Namor: Douche but he can be really cool when used right.

Havok: A male member of the summers blood line awesome by default but he can stand on his own feet as well however when doing so he falls short of awesome.

#15 Posted by Purgy (419 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with this post, and with the statement about Gambit and Pro-X. But i wish they didn't made Bishop the bad guy.

#16 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3939 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of these characters I am impartial too... Depends I guess...

I am much more of an X-Woman fan... Kitty, Rogue, Psylocke, Jean, Storm, Emma, Polaris, M etc etc.

#17 Posted by Purgy (419 posts) - - Show Bio

True but we all have our likes and dislikes. But i would like to see more of the other X-Men the ones you do see as much improvement on. Manly some that been put into background characters.

#18 Edited by shol (129 posts) - - Show Bio

Love

- Banshee - Aside from Cyclops, Banshee just may be my second favorite male X-Men. I especially loved him in Generation X. Unfortunately, he's probably gone for good.

- Cyclops - My favorite comic book character.

- Iceman - It's a shame he was often disregarded. Another of my favorites.

- Nightcrawler - Lovable, nice, etc. One of my favorites.

Neutral

- Archangel, Bishop, Cable, Charles Xavier, Colossus, Gambit, Havok, Magneto, Namor, X-Man

Dislike

- Beast & Wolverine

#19 Posted by XsPectre28 (722 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine~ The Best & The Baddest. I think thou that its time for wolverine to man up & bring all his kids( Son, Adoptive Daughter, & clone) into the fold they can be the first 3 members of A junior X-force team.

Cyclops~ The Undisputed Leader Of The X-men...... Nuff Said

Colossus~ Now That He Is The Juggernaut Id Like To See Him Explore His New Powers More Maybe Even Become A Villian For A Time

Nightcrawler~ Love & Miss Him...... Maybe AOA Kurt Will Somehow Gain 616 Kurt's Soul As Well As His Own Thus Being A True Crossover Character Because He Is Two Kurts In One.

Gambit~ The Ragin Cajun....... Need To Be Explored More~ Since Death Is Obviously The Heir To Apocalypse I Wonder If He Did The Same With Gambit, Either Way This Death Persona Needs To Be Explained In Full.

Iceman~ Waiting For Him To Reach His Full Potential Thus Paving The Way For Other Elemental Mutants To Truely Tap Into Their Powers

Beast~ The Smartest, Should Be Part Of The Future Foundation As Well

Charles Xavier~ The Most Powerful telepath, Will Onslaught Come For Him Now That He Has Returned..... Is Professor X Currently With Legion Helping Him Adjust To His New Role?

Archangel~ Whats going on with him. is he an angel? A Celestial? or Something Else?

Magneto~ Should Be Leading His Own Team Amongst The X-Men

Banshee~ Ware Is He, I Know He Is Alive But Ware Is He?

Cable~ The Original Mutant Messiah

X-man~ my Boi Right Here, With The Phoenix Force Returning I Hope That It Reaches Out To Nate Restoring Most If Not All His Powers

Bishop~ Awaiting His Return..... But Will He Be A Good Guy Or A Villian?

Namor~ I Understand Him Grasping His Mutant Lineage But I Want More Of Him, I Mean Not Only Is He A Mutant But He Is The King Of Atlantis........ Army On Deck!!!!

Havok~ Underrated, Wants Him Out Of Cyclops' Shadow

#20 Posted by davelecave (1113 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine - I know he's horribly overused, but I still like him. He's a good father/older-brother figure to several characters and he can be ruthless when necessary.

Cyclops - I like the character originally but I don't like what's been done with him in the last several years.

Colossus - I find him rather boring.

Nightcrawler - I like him in general, although he is overrated.

Gambit - Overrated. He was cool in the 90s but I don't find him cool anymore.

Iceman - Underrated. They need to develop him more, in the way Remender just extended the Angel mythos.

Beast - I love Beast, he's the mind of reason surrounded by often unreasonable people.

Charles Xavier - He needs to come back into a more prominent role.

Archangel - Awesome character. Not sure what will happen to him now that he's "Angel, the mindless naked helper of mankind" or whatever they're doing with him.

Magneto - THE most important character in the X-men, because people can understand the conflict. It's easy to be the good guy when you don't believe the survival of your race depends on it. Making him an x-man was a good call, but he won't be one forever.

Banshee - He's alright.

Cable - Love.

X-Man - Super important to AoA. After that it's pretty boring.

Bishop - Hit or Miss.

Namor - I don't think he belongs with the X-men.

Havok - Really dislike his whole look and character.

#21 Edited by natejoseph09 (136 posts) - - Show Bio

Havok: Like this character, kinda wish he was more of a big deal in this Schism considering his past with cyclops.

Gambit: My fave character :)

Namor: Dosen't belong with the X-Men, but don't dislike him.

Magneto: Meh kinda dull nowadays, better on the opposite side of the X-Men.

Cyclops: Used to like him, generally got bored of him being overused.

Bishop: Badass can't wait to see what he'll do when he returns.

#22 Edited by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio
@natejoseph09 said:

Magneto: Meh kinda dull nowadays, better on the opposite side of the X-Men.

I agree. I liked Magneto better when he was the villain of the X-Men.
#23 Posted by Purgy (419 posts) - - Show Bio

They need to make him more of a Anti-Hero if they are keeping him on this good side.

#24 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio
@Purgy said:
They need to make him more of a Anti-Hero if they are keeping him on this good side.
I agree. I can't imagine Magneto really getting over all the horrible things he has done to the X-Men over the years.
#25 Posted by Purgy (419 posts) - - Show Bio

Same here and same goes for Rouge also. Still hate the pairing.

#26 Posted by PowerHerc (84155 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine - Like. His character has been over-used and diluted so much it's unbelievable but at his core he's still cool.

Cyclops - Hate. His power is lame and weak. His persona is lame. Marvel has tried to prop this clown up but it isn't working.

Colossus - Like. He's a Russian-born farm boy with immense strength and durability. He's my favorite X-Man.

Nightcrawler - Indifferent. He's okay but can't carry a story-line, let alone a title.

Gambit - Hate. He's a lame character with a lame power-set.

Iceman - Dislike. He's lame, lame, lame.

Beast - Like. He's super-agile, super-flexible, super-strong genius. The Beast is as cool as the other side of the pillow.

Charles Xavier - Indifferent. He has a key role in the X-mythos but he was never intended to be and never should be a combatant.

Archangel - Dislike. Warren is so weak and lame it's ridiculous. If he weren't an X-Man he'd likely be regarded as high as Ant-man.

Magneto - Like. Magneto is the man! One of the all-time great characters in all of comics.

Banshee - Dislike. I want to like this Irishman but his name and powers are just to lame.

Cable - Like. I shoudn't like him but I do.

X-Man - Like. He has huge potential

Bishop - Hate. He's lame and serves no purpose.

Namor - Like, though I don't consider Namor, the Sub-Mariner to be an "X-character."

Havok - Like. He's a hundred times better than his brother.

#27 Posted by Purgy (419 posts) - - Show Bio

This i agree with. Can't wait for the Bishop was right moment to come. Got the T-Shirt and Poster ready.

#28 Posted by TheBane2890 (1958 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome:

Colossus (was always my favorite X-Man, but I hate the fact that he has the Juggernaut's powers. Cain Marko should be the old version of the Juggernaut, and Colossus shuld go back to just being Colossus. (also I'm not sure if it was revealed yet, but Colossus better be the father behind Kitty Pryde's pregnancy.))

Havok

Magneto

Cyclops

Like:

Archangel (like him best as the blue skinned, metal winged, vengeful archangel)

Iceman

Wolverine (kinda have like/hate feelings for him)

Bishop

Nightcrawler

Namor (shouldn't be an X-Man)

Banshee

Hate:

Cable (as a kid a liked him, but as I grew the whole time travel/cyborg thing started to really annoy me)

Gambit (as a kid I liked him because of his cockiness and arrogance, but now I feel like he's all show and nothing else, and I just want to see more out of his character, buy knows that will never happen)

Beast

Charles Xavier

X-Man (absolutely never liked him, and still think he's a waste of a character)

#29 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok lets run through the list.

Likes-

- Cyclops : Well most hate his new direction, considering he was a bland boring boyscout in the 90s I must say I like Cyclops better now.

-Gambit: Oh he was so bad ass in the 90s, still is, but to a limited degree.

-Xavier: For the love of Claremont, have Charles do something. Like take someone under his wing.

-Magneto: Mags is one of the single most important X-characters. He should be the villain like the old days, but until mutantkind is no longer facing extinction, he's fine as an X-Man.

-Cable: I like Cable for two reasons: 1. He is like the John Conner of the X-Men, except instead of fighting Terminators, he's fighting Apocalypse. 2. Without him, I would have no Nate Grey.

-X-Man: I really am a big Nate fan. I will keep this brief.... But I will be one of the first to say Marvel repeatedly trashes the character, instead of trying to adapt him into the 616 or make him a Doctor Who-Esque protector of the Multiverse (brilliant idea for him btw), they burn him out and do no character development. Develop him!

Neutral:

-Wolverine: I originally liked him and still do, but his overexposure is killing me inside. Those wounds just don't heal like Logans lol.

-Colossus: I am rather ambivalent with Piotr. He was a big teddy bear that could beat and break you to pieces when the time came. Wondering what Gillen plans to do with Colossnaut/Juggerlossus.

-Nightcrawler: I get it, He's a BAMF! lol. But he really didn't leave me blown away.

-Iceman: Bobby, Bobby, Bobby. You are just too cool for me, I guess.

-Beast: He was fantastic.....until he turned into a semi-hypocrite thanks to Secret Avengers.

-Archangel: I liked what Remender was doing with him, but before that, I could take or leave him.

-Banshee: Like his daughter Theresa better.

-Havok: Scott's bro needs to wow me some more. Maybe his new X-Factor run will do that.

Dislike:

-Namor: I get it. You're pompous prince who likes to steal blondes from other men. Plus you smell like Fish....and I prefer Aquaman......but I also hate Aquaman.

-Bishop: He was fine until Civil War, then I just flat out disliked his character. Oh vey.....

#30 Posted by God_Spawn (37908 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops is my favorite comic book character and Wolverine my 2nd fave out of the X- bunch followed by Gambit at third being awesome characters. Everyone else is cool and has their moments Though I have an on and off like and hate for Namor. Depends if he is actually being useful or just trying to steal Emma which I hate.

Moderator
#31 Posted by God_Spawn (37908 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheBane2890: Kitty isn't pregnant. She is infected by brood so yes it has been revealed.

Moderator
#32 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine- I think old Wolvies alright not my cup of tea really.

Cyclops- Liked his 80's and 90's personna but always found him to be selfish. Not a fan these days

Colossus- Love Colossus especially old stories like the mutant massacre where he crosses the line. It always strikes a cord when I see a pure hearted character have to go through something like that.

Nightcrawler- I like him alot, but think he can be a zealot at time.

Gambit- Love Gambit wish he wasn't restricted to Legacy

Iceman- Like, not love. I feel like he is at an awkward growing stage right now.

Beast- Love Beast always have. Not in love with his cowardly lion look.

Charles Xavier- I can't hate the guy since he made the X-Men, but I don't like him.

Archangel- Meh

Magneto- Hero sucks. Villan awesome

Banshee- I like him and wish he was still around.

Cable- I like him, but his past nonsense makes him hard to bare at times

X-Man- Meh

Bishop- Mofo went nuts O_o

Namor- I like him

Havok- Like Havok especially when he was paired with Storm's 90's team. He struggles to step out of his brothers shadow and unfortunetly fails.

#33 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Namor
  • Iceman
  • Gambit
  • Wolverine
  • Cyclops
#34 Posted by Rickbarry (1790 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine- A tad overrated, but I have to say that I enjoy watching him interact with his teammates over fighting guys way over his head.

Cyclops- I'm a huge fan! No one tends to be more calm and collected than Scott.

Colossus- My favorite character. He comes off as a a gentle giant, but who has more skeleton's in their closet than Colossus? I'm hoping to see him cut loose in future issues.

Nightcrawler- Anything with Kurt is worth reading. I do believe my favorite interaction involved Kurt, Logan and Colossus getting drunk in a Russian dive bar. Their night ends on which supervillians they miss most. Blob is mentioned a time or two. A shame they killed him off.

Gambit- Face armor...bleh.

Iceman- He's kind of a background character for me. Kind of unappealing on multiple levels.

Namor- I'm not a fan, but he can be amusing whenever he's put in his place.

#35 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rickbarry said:

Wolverine- A tad overrated, but I have to say that I enjoy watching him interact with his teammates over fighting guys way over his head.

Cyclops- I'm a huge fan! No one tends to be more calm and collected than Scott.

Colossus- My favorite character. He comes off as a a gentle giant, but who has more skeleton's in their closet than Colossus? I'm hoping to see him cut loose in future issues.

Nightcrawler- Anything with Kurt is worth reading. I do believe my favorite interaction involved Kurt, Logan and Colossus getting drunk in a Russian dive bar. Their night ends on which supervillians they miss most. Blob is mentioned a time or two. A shame they killed him off.

Gambit- Face armor...bleh.

Iceman- He's kind of a background character for me. Kind of unappealing on multiple levels.

Namor- I'm not a fan, but he can be amusing whenever he's put in his place.

Aw man! I loved the issue where Colossus, Wolverine and Nightcrawler all went to Russia to fight some bad guys! that was some really good interaction between these guys!
#36 Posted by Rickbarry (1790 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog: The original wolf pack.

#37 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rickbarry said:

@Rabbitearsblog: The original wolf pack.

LOL!! Awesome!!!
#38 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

At the time of posting, and rather with held of me sorry:

Wolverine: This is a multidimensional blog onto itself just to write. Due to that I could be vaguely said to be in all sorts of places with this character, as this character seems to be as well.

Cyclops: I like Scott. Writers can push me a way but one thing his character has going for him is a bit of consistency. The explained mechanics of his power also fascinate me, and he has a good streamlined aesthetic visual wise. His history is believable. I believe he's better characterized when cool and in control, and not outspoken, closely to the traditional take on Black Bolt, and feel the more recently Fraction inspired frustrated and callous Scott we see often is going in the wrong direction.

Colossus: I always liked Colossus. I love his look, it's sexy. Currently I'm a little biffed though as where he stands convoluted his recent history, from Legacy Virus on up in my view, as well of course as bleeds over into the Juggernauts. It's a really weird move.

Nightcrawler: Even in his recent appearance in the afterlife, he's still swashbuckling lovable. I can't say I have ever found a single aspect of this character disagreeable.

Gambit: Dear Marvel: This was a great character, at a time one of the single most popular in his own right. Please get wherever your going with him and have been for some time. The suspense turned into a sleepy lull and pulled me away from caring awhile ago. Thank you.

Iceman: Like Cyclops, he's fairly consistent characterization-wise, and has a tangible history. At times I ponder an elevated direction for him, or a complete upset, but I think the fact that he hasn't been afflicted as such actually helps his character in remaining true to himself. Sometimes it's not good to do something completely out of left field to a character to generate hype for them, and I think Iceman is one of those. A lot more creative uses of his powers could be injected more often though, as well as artists should run wild with the visual aspects of them as well. When done right it looks gorgeous on panel.

Beast: I discussed earlier with you were I stand. I love Beast but his history, for him starting back when Dark Beast violated his life on up seems completely ignored. Something happens to him and the only result is it's as if it never did. Sans further mutation of course. He needs more importance.

Charles Xavier: He's an old shoe. Charles was there from the start so you have to like that. Also, when his powers have been used in top form, and creatively it's great. He's another lost one these days. Carey looked to bring him back in a good way, but that seems to have remained untouched since. Really, Charles should be involved in higher world, or perhaps universal affairs by now. They have tried this, namely with Cadre K and Illuminati, but didn't give it the solid effort it needed.

Archangel: I like him in any form. I'm satisfied with where he is at currently, as they took the time to actually develop where he was going, rather than many other characters whom are consistently left floating.

Magneto: He's the classic x-villain, and someone who defines their very choices by the proximity of his. Where he's at currently doesn't sit with me. It's a play to cash in on his popularity by having him in the book more, as is his relations with Rogue on to cash in on AoA. It all seems very out of place. It's not that I don't see Magneto working with the X-men, far from it, he has many times, but I see him drawing a line somewhere and standing behind it. I've seen writers state they would almost rather kill him off than have to keep writing him, mainly in order to for his character posterity. They have of course tried, and his popularity again won out. He will be an antagonist again someday, probably by the time the second First Class movie comes out.

Banshee: I wish I he still alive. They had two chances now to do it too, Necrosha and Chaos War. His death itself was very forced as he's trained for and dealt with much more complex situations before. A really enduring character gone. Oh well.

Cable: His solo series are really great. He has a rich interesting science fiction history that can't be denied. He works well in command of X-Force. He seems out of place as an X-Man. There seems to be two different versions of this character in existence for some reason. The gritty cold Chuck Norris hard Leifeld established shoot them in the face ask no questions survivalist elite Cable, and the bright eyed white mage politically involved considerate one.

X-Man: This character has been interesting from the word go. Like Charles, part of what made him fun was the creative and large scale use of his powers. Also, that outsider lost from home aspect was appealing of his character. Come New Mutants however and all defining traits of this character are wiped, so is my interest.

Bishop: Oddly I liked him as hero and an antagonist. Another with a cast rich history like Cable as well. This character really works and really impacts.

Namor: He's Namor. Lmao. I can't see him as anything else nor define it any other way. I can't believe him as an X-Man, even while he is. They left him out in the ocean for far to long to sell me a sudden switch. I think he's going to end used to cause much friction, and become an antagonist eventually in his own right. But having Namor switch back and forth is pretty much normal anyways.

Havok: This character has never let me down. He's a lot like Iceman. I don't do back flips over his character, but I do respect him. His power doesn't impress me, I think it's the lack of creativity attached in the use of it. Sometimes he does something really cool with it, but not often. Or it's just not highlighted. Personally my favorite use of this character was in Mutant X. When pushed enough Alex can really drive a story. His costumes have always been an eyesore to me though.

#39 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATPANEXE said:

At the time of posting, and rather with held of me sorry:

Wolverine: This is a multidimensional blog onto itself just to write. Due to that I could be vaguely said to be in all sorts of places with this character, as this character seems to be as well.

Cyclops: I like Scott. Writers can push me a way but one thing his character has going for him is a bit of consistency. The explained mechanics of his power also fascinate me, and he has a good streamlined aesthetic visual wise. His history is believable. I believe he's better characterized when cool and in control, and not outspoken, closely to the traditional take on Black Bolt, and feel the more recently Fraction inspired frustrated and callous Scott we see often is going in the wrong direction.

Colossus: I always liked Colossus. I love his look, it's sexy. Currently I'm a little biffed though as where he stands convoluted his recent history, from Legacy Virus on up in my view, as well of course as bleeds over into the Juggernauts. It's a really weird move.

Nightcrawler: Even in his recent appearance in the afterlife, he's still swashbuckling lovable. I can't say I have ever found a single aspect of this character disagreeable.

Gambit: Dear Marvel: This was a great character, at a time one of the single most popular in his own right. Please get wherever your going with him and have been for some time. The suspense turned into a sleepy lull and pulled me away from caring awhile ago. Thank you.

Iceman: Like Cyclops, he's fairly consistent characterization-wise, and has a tangible history. At times I ponder an elevated direction for him, or a complete upset, but I think the fact that he hasn't been afflicted as such actually helps his character in remaining true to himself. Sometimes it's not good to do something completely out of left field to a character to generate hype for them, and I think Iceman is one of those. A lot more creative uses of his powers could be injected more often though, as well as artists should run wild with the visual aspects of them as well. When done right it looks gorgeous on panel.

Beast: I discussed earlier with you were I stand. I love Beast but his history, for him starting back when Dark Beast violated his life on up seems completely ignored. Something happens to him and the only result is it's as if it never did. Sans further mutation of course. He needs more importance.

Charles Xavier: He's an old shoe. Charles was there from the start so you have to like that. Also, when his powers have been used in top form, and creatively it's great. He's another lost one these days. Carey looked to bring him back in a good way, but that seems to have remained untouched since. Really, Charles should be involved in higher world, or perhaps universal affairs by now. They have tried this, namely with Cadre K and Illuminati, but didn't give it the solid effort it needed.

Archangel: I like him in any form. I'm satisfied with where he is at currently, as they took the time to actually develop where he was going, rather than many other characters whom are consistently left floating.

Magneto: He's the classic x-villain, and someone who defines their very choices by the proximity of his. Where he's at currently doesn't sit with me. It's a play to cash in on his popularity by having him in the book more, as is his relations with Rogue on to cash in on AoA. It all seems very out of place. It's not that I don't see Magneto working with the X-men, far from it, he has many times, but I see him drawing a line somewhere and standing behind it. I've seen writers state they would almost rather kill him off than have to keep writing him, mainly in order to for his character posterity. They have of course tried, and his popularity again won out. He will be an antagonist again someday, probably by the time the second First Class movie comes out.

Banshee: I wish I he still alive. They had two chances now to do it too, Necrosha and Chaos War. His death itself was very forced as he's trained for and dealt with much more complex situations before. A really enduring character gone. Oh well.

Cable: His solo series are really great. He has a rich interesting science fiction history that can't be denied. He works well in command of X-Force. He seems out of place as an X-Man. There seems to be two different versions of this character in existence for some reason. The gritty cold Chuck Norris hard Leifeld established shoot them in the face ask no questions survivalist elite Cable, and the bright eyed white mage politically involved considerate one.

X-Man: This character has been interesting from the word go. Like Charles, part of what made him fun was the creative and large scale use of his powers. Also, that outsider lost from home aspect was appealing of his character. Come New Mutants however and all defining traits of this character are wiped, so is my interest.

Bishop: Oddly I liked him as hero and an antagonist. Another with a cast rich history like Cable as well. This character really works and really impacts.

Namor: He's Namor. Lmao. I can't see him as anything else nor define it any other way. I can't believe him as an X-Man, even while he is. They left him out in the ocean for far to long to sell me a sudden switch. I think he's going to end used to cause much friction, and become an antagonist eventually in his own right. But having Namor switch back and forth is pretty much normal anyways.

Havok: This character has never let me down. He's a lot like Iceman. I don't do back flips over his character, but I do respect him. His power doesn't impress me, I think it's the lack of creativity attached in the use of it. Sometimes he does something really cool with it, but not often. Or it's just not highlighted. Personally my favorite use of this character was in Mutant X. When pushed enough Alex can really drive a story. His costumes have always been an eyesore to me though.

Awesome list!
#40 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog: Thankee! (: Minus my Wolverine cop out naturally, sorry again. There's too much ground to cover on that one.

#41 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5894 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATPANEXE said:

@Rabbitearsblog: Thankee! (: Minus my Wolverine cop out naturally, sorry again. There's too much ground to cover on that one.

Oh yeah, Wolverine just has so much character change that it's getting harder to figure out whether to like him or not.
#42 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine - The original anti-hero. Is he Canada's 1st superhero? I prefer him when he is a loner and sparsely used (unlike today's Marvel). As a fellow shorter than 6 foot, I can appreciate this short and scrappy guy.

Cyclops - He's okay. I never understood Cyclops fanboys. I did like him when he was in X-Factor, or when he took down Master Mold in Marvel Comics Presents.

Colossus - Big, strong, but an artist and a gentle soul. Great character. Nice that he speaks a little Russian in the comics as well.

Nightcrawler - One of my favorite X-Men period. The furry elf that looks like the devil, but is really a saint. Good to see some German used in the comics.

Gambit - Interesting character. Not a favorite, but I do like him. It's almost like Claremont wanted to try a different accent, maybe a little French. Are there any X-Men that speak Spanish in the comics?

Iceman - Often overlooked, but a solid X-Man as well. His powers have changed over the years and now he can be quite terrifying when upset. I'm hoping Liu's characterization gets explored a bit more.

Beast - I appreciate the intellect vs. brute strength aspect of his character. I wish the poor fellow would stop getting mutated when new writers want to try something new.

Charles Xavier - Old cue ball. R.I.P.

Archangel - LOVED him in X-Factor. I prefer the metal winged version obviously. Not the clueless angel we see know.

Magneto - Prefer him as a baddie.

Banshee - Never been that attached. He could have stayed dead. I did like him as a teacher in Gen X.

Cable - I've never been a fan of pouch man.

X-Man - An interesting take on Cable. Still not really a fan.

Bishop - Not a fan either. I obviously do not like my X-MEN from the future (other than Rachel).

Namor - I thought he was a Defender? Why is he here. :)

Havok - I actually like Havok more than Scott.

#43 Edited by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine: hmm, Wolverine in small doses is a great thing, anymore than 5 or 6 lines in a shared team book is way to much Wolverine for me

That's how I feel too.

Wolverine - I know he's horribly overused, but I still like him. He's a good father/older-brother figure to several characters and he can be ruthless when necessary.

Iceman - Underrated. They need to develop him more, in the way Remender just extended the Angel mythos.

Archangel - Awesome character. Not sure what will happen to him now that he's "Angel, the mindless naked helper of mankind" or whatever they're doing with him.

Magneto - THE most important character in the X-men, because people can understand the conflict. It's easy to be the good guy when you don't believe the survival of your race depends on it. Making him an x-man was a good call, but he won't be one forever.

Great points.


Nightcrawler- Anything with Kurt is worth reading. I do believe my favorite interaction involved Kurt, Logan and Colossus getting drunk in a Russian dive bar. Their night ends on which supervillians they miss most. Blob is mentioned a time or two. A shame they killed him off.

That is the X-Men to me. Just add Storm and a little Kitty.

@Rabbitearsblog: The original wolf pack.

Nice!


Cyclops: I like Scott. Writers can push me a way but one thing his character has going for him is a bit of consistency. The explained mechanics of his power also fascinate me, and he has a good streamlined aesthetic visual wise. His history is believable. I believe he's better characterized when cool and in control, and not outspoken, closely to the traditional take on Black Bolt, and feel the more recently Fraction inspired frustrated and callous Scott we see often is going in the wrong direction.

Nightcrawler: Even in his recent appearance in the afterlife, he's still swashbuckling lovable. I can't say I have ever found a single aspect of this character disagreeable.

Iceman: Like Cyclops, he's fairly consistent characterization-wise, and has a tangible history. At times I ponder an elevated direction for him, or a complete upset, but I think the fact that he hasn't been afflicted as such actually helps his character in remaining true to himself. Sometimes it's not good to do something completely out of left field to a character to generate hype for them, and I think Iceman is one of those. A lot more creative uses of his powers could be injected more often though, as well as artists should run wild with the visual aspects of them as well. When done right it looks gorgeous on panel.

Magneto: He's the classic x-villain, and someone who defines their very choices by the proximity of his. Where he's at currently doesn't sit with me. It's a play to cash in on his popularity by having him in the book more, as is his relations with Rogue on to cash in on AoA. It all seems very out of place. It's not that I don't see Magneto working with the X-men, far from it, he has many times, but I see him drawing a line somewhere and standing behind it. I've seen writers state they would almost rather kill him off than have to keep writing him, mainly in order to for his character posterity. They have of course tried, and his popularity again won out. He will be an antagonist again someday, probably by the time the second First Class movie comes out.

Havok: This character has never let me down. He's a lot like Iceman. I don't do back flips over his character, but I do respect him. His power doesn't impress me, I think it's the lack of creativity attached in the use of it. Sometimes he does something really cool with it, but not often. Or it's just not highlighted. Personally my favorite use of this character was in Mutant X. When pushed enough Alex can really drive a story. His costumes have always been an eyesore to me though.

Nice summaries.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.