What do you think of the X-Men titles now? 2013

#1 Posted by time (4907 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you like the X-Men titles, do you think there good or bad.

All New X-Men is still my favorite title at moment, the writing is pretty good and the artwork is amazing at times. Jean Grey being back, made me like the title a lot more.

Uncanny X-Men is my second favorite title at the moment.. The last issue was really good, Cyclops telling the Avengers to go to hell. It's about time someone put the Avengers in there place and I'm glad it was Emma and Scott. I'm actually like a title with Emma and Scott in, after them boring me to death for 6 years.

Uncanny X-Force is ok title, i like the writing and the artwork is good. Not sure what there doing with Bishop, why is after a child again.

Cable and the X-Force is my third favorite X-title. Love the fact that Cable is reunited with Domino and Hope. Love the chemistry with Forge and Dr Nemesis. I enjoy the last issue, I hope Boom Boom joins Cable team. Domino sleeping with Colossus is weird.

Uncanny Avengers is ok title, haven't made my mind up about it yet. I hate what they did to Charles Xavier, it was horrible.

A+X is a hit and miss series, some good issues, but I don't see the point of the series.

Savage Wolverine, I have like so far, issue 2 was the best so far. I think it's the best Wolverine title so far.

Gambit is ok, haven't red all the issue yet. Rogue will be in the next issue. Look forward to that.

Fearless Defenders is ok, I thought Dani Moonstar was good in the second issue.

Wolverine and the X-Men is still the worst title so far. Too childish

So what do you guys think, I missed some titles out. Do you think the X-Men titles are good now and are they better then they were. Are they better than Gillian and Fraction and Jason Aaron run. I think they are, I'm enjoying X- titles again.

What do you think, share your views

#2 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4279 posts) - - Show Bio

@time:

All New X-Men is a lot more fun than I expected, despite having a pretty contrived premise. A few issues have been a bit slow, but this still might be the X-men book I'm enjoying the most right now. And the art has been just beautiful.

Uncanny X-Men would be a close second for me, for a lot of the same reasons. The premise is much stronger, but it still doesn't have as many characters that I feel really interested in. That said, it seems unfair to compare the two given how few issues there have been of this one.

Uncanny X-Force Loved the first issue, and though the subsequent ones haven't excited me as much, I'm still very much on board to see what happens in this book. It's become my go-to for 90's vibe X-men book.

Uncanny Avengers The first arc was a bit slow, but as of issue 5 (in which they finally come together as a team), I'm totally back on board. It's the only X-men or Avengers book right now that seems to have that classic 80's team-book feel that made me love these teams in the first place. The team dynamic seems at the same time both classic and fresh. Plus I love Cassaday's art, Coipel's also one of my favourites, and I heard Daniel Acuna will be doing an arc soon, so I'd probably stick around just for the art.

Wolverine and the X-Men is not a title I would recommend overall, but not because of the silliness, that I actually find (somewhat) refreshing; the X-men can be crazy silly and still fun (read just about any X-men comic from the 60's or 70's, or most Annuals from the 80's and 90's, to see what I mean); I just haven't been into most of the stories, nor am I much of a fan of Bradshaw's art.

That said, issues 17 (all Doop issue with Mike Allred art) 24 (Date night, drawn by the very underrated David Lopez), 25, and 27 (wherein they finally start to show how Wolverine can be a good mentor again) are all quite good, and give me reason to think this series may end up going places after all, so I am still (tentatively) on board.

I was also enjoying Astonishing X-men, despite having way to much focus put on dull characters like Warbird and Northstar's husband, but have lost interest since it's started crossing over with books I don't care about. I read a few issues of 'Legacy, and they were decent, but not really that interesting to me personally. And, sadly, I can't even tell what X-factor's supposed to be about any more. So that's all the X-books I've been reading until

X-men comes out. Brian Wood back writing Storm's team of X-men with Olivier Coipel drawing it? Hurry up and take my money, Marvel!!

#3 Edited by AgeofHurricane (7265 posts) - - Show Bio

All New X-Men - lol.

Uncanny X-Men - LOL.

Uncanny X-Force - Not really sure. Issue 1 proved that the title had promise, but it's been deteriorating ever since (and it's got Storm and Psylocke, i love Storm and Psylocke). Quite a lot of inconsistencies in regards to characterization and story-progression. The Fantomex twin sub-plot is killing, for the literal term, the motion of this story. Should have waited until later on to add that piece of irrelevance in because atm they're not doing the title any good. Apparently the first issue's climax was supposed to split the internet in half. Right. Two clones snogging out of sexual tumescence = internet split in half.

Uncanny Avengers - Don't know what, exactly, Remender was planning to execute when he approached this title and these characters. Rogue is this title's saving grace, everything else is a complete mess, Cassaday's horrible art included. Also not sure what the target audience (or age) is for this title as the narrative is a mixture of forced Claremont wordiness, forced Shakespeare at his best (he was always at his best), and more of Remender forcing it down my throat. I've seen words ushered from these characters that should just not. This is a comic book ffs. He needs to remember the characters he's writing before he starts imposing his own regurgitated view.

X-Men Legacy - Superb. Brilliant. Unique. Something else. As much as Huat's art annoys me, Spurrier's hard-work pulls through. I love writers who can pull obscure characters from the depths of limbo and turn them into something big, while weaving a brilliant story in the process. Always thought Legion was an interesting character, Spurrier makes me want to see him more. A lot better than Gage's grovel.

Cable and X-Force - The X-Title that i had most anticipated during the teaser releases has not disappointed. Only thing i don't like is Larroca's artistic degradation or he needs a new inker/colorist, some of these "ladies" don't look at all like "ladies". Also, Boom Boom. Nuff said.

Wolverine and The X-Men - LOL Jason Aaron.

Fearless Defenders - Is not a fking X-Title :S.

Can't. Wait. For. X-Men.

Not sure about the overall quality. Things have certainly not gotten better, but they haven't gotten worse.

#4 Edited by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

All New X-Men- I like it, but I feel it is slowly losing its novelty. There has yet to be a mission, Storm and Beast are just there most issues, and he's juggling alot of characters and keeps adding more. However, the original are fun to read in this new setting and he is doing a great job with Kitty and Bobby.

Uncanny X-Men- Currently not reading. I did get the first two issues and it is very good, but I read too many titles as is.

WATX- Dropped. Was good at first, but quickly became sh!t.

Uncanny X-Force- I like it, but it needs a more solid direction. Also Storm is slightly off.

Uncanny Avengers- If it wasn't for Janet I would have dropped this after Alex's bullsh!t speech, and Rogue's blunder. Rogue deserves better.

Cable's X-Force- Dropped. I love Colossus and that kept me on for four issues, but I just wasn't feeling it.

Legacy- No idea didn't appeal to me so I didn't read it.

As stated above I cannot wait for X-Men. I want this title to be LEGENDARY.

Oh and Ult. X-Men is amazing everyone pick it up from the issue before last and jump onboard

#5 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4279 posts) - - Show Bio

@ageofhurricane: see? I told you Wood's X-men was the only thing we'd agree on.

to be fair though, I didn't bother commenting on books I haven't read..

#6 Edited by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

As of now, a lot of the X-titles out there are really not exciting me or engaging. But that may change in a few months, with the arrival of the "X-women" book. I am also hoping that after some changes to different titles and better distribution of characters i might get more interested and invest in more titles. Right now i only buy Uncanny X-Force and Gambit (when Clay Mann is drawing.)

All New X-men: This book is such a waste of flagship status and good art. It needs to get rid of the O5, and focus on the "all new mutants" that have emerged since AvX and the different factions that want to help them. I still hate how convoluted and unnecessary the whole premise is. We don't need another rehash of the old team of "white bread" X-men who already have enough spotlight in the present, except for Jean of course. I think the book would be so much more interesting as "THE X-MEN" book, where the universe is explored, and every team and faction of mutants is given some spotlight. Right now we are getting same old characters and same old turf way pissing contest crap, when it should be about the all new mutant quo.

Wolverine and the X-men: Another book I don't really like since it's about Wolverine and his supporting cast. No thanks. I like when it focuses more on the school and the students but there seems to be clear preferential treatment and I would love to see this book be restructured into a "New X-men" book.

Uncanny X-men: I guess this has to be Cyclops' book. But i really would like to see his team get more X-men of colour, since it so hard to take Cyclops serious when he talks about being an oppressed minority. His team are white as white can be. By just adding a few characters to the mix it would not only diversify and improve the team dynamics but provide a place for lower tier X-men who have been marginalized as of late. I would suggest Warpath, Magma, Surge, Dust, Hellion, Box, and /or Omega Sentinel.

Astonishing: I adore Marjorie Liu and like her style and choices but she could do write bigger and bolder stories. With the right revamped team, and a new mission statement, I think her book can live up to it's title. Just adding Dazzler and Sage and perhaps a Nightcrawler would make it a lot more exciting. I also would like to see more of a connection to the school. It needs to be more involved with the other books and have more influence. It seems to be off in it's own world like X-Factor.

Uncanny Avengers: Don't like anything about it really. The cast sucks and has no diversity in it other Sunfire who should be on an X-team. What ever potential the book could have had to make a really good and believable team of X-men and Avengers was wasted. I hope it fades to obscurity. If Storm, Moonstar, and Cannonball were on the team instead of Rogue, Havok, and Sunfire, then i think it could have been much better.

X-Factor: I need more from this book. A new cast and soft reset would be cool but I don't find this book enjoyable other than for Monet's dialogue.

Legacy: I have been following this book from afar but like how unique its vision is. I would totally jump on board if became a team book that will make it less about Legion and Legion only. Love Blindfold.

Cable and X-Force: No interest in it. But i like the cast. Maybe if and when they crossover with Uncanny X-Force i will take a better look.

Uncanny X-Force: Like the cast, except for Puck. The art is great. The writing could be much better. I am not sure how useful the book is but i love seeing a team of strong women kick ass. But i think I would rather see them in another, better book. That's why i know i will love the "X-Women" book coming out in May!

Gambit: Really enjoying this book, the art, the characters and fan service. I may not get every issue but I like that Gambit off doing his own thing away from the x-men because i am not sure he makes anywhere but solo or on a fringe team like X-force or X-factor.

#7 Edited by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

All New X-Men - Its a decent book that is suffering from a really slow pace. Just dropped it after issue 10.

Uncanny X-Men- So far it has been decent.

Uncanny X-Force- Pointless book that feels like it is trying really hard to be edgy. Hate Psylocke's characterization.

Cable and the X-Force - Mediocre

Uncanny Avengers - Started off promising but became just okay. Hate Rogue and Scarlet Witch's characterizations.

Fearless Defenders - Ain't an x-book

Wolverine and the X-Men - hit-or-miss series that needs a new sense of direction

#8 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2767 posts) - - Show Bio

@time

All New X-Men - love it

Uncanny X-Men- hate it at first but starting to like it, its more edgier than anxm

Uncanny X-Force- Dont like it.....bishop is back(is he good or bad) , still dont care

Cable and the X-Force - i only like it when hopes in it

Uncanny Avengers - i liked it at the start but then drop it because i dont like havok in the lead, it should be scott

Fearless Defenders - idk

Wolverine and the X-Men - sometimes its good and sometimes it stinks

#9 Posted by JakeN7 (10999 posts) - - Show Bio

Uncanny Avengers - i liked it at the start but then drop it because i dont like havok in the lead, it should be scott

That is literally the exact opposite of what the whole book is about. The blind fanboy-induced ignorance of what you just said boggles my damn mind.

#10 Edited by poisonfleur (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

All New X-Men I had my doubts, but this is turning out to be much better than I expected-- And it's Bendis!? Someone slap me! LOL This arc/run is really running the X-men series right now. Consider me impressed.

Uncanny X-Men An interesting twist to the series. I am still wondering where this series is going... but it's alright. I want a bit more out of it-- My main issues is I cannot stand the art. I enjoyed uncanny x-men when Greg Land did the art-- But I know how everyone feels about Greg Land so I will drop it before someone punches me in the face. lol

Uncanny X-Force I really looked forward to this one. It's got a lot of my favorite characters in it & the cast is Great, but it's moving a little slow for me. Hopefully the plot will pick up a bit faster, because I really want to see this book do well.

Uncanny Avengers Ehhh.... Only thing I really enjoyed about this title is Rogue punching Wanda in the face. This story is very, very, ehh/meh to me. NEXT!

Wolverine and the X-Men It's not your typical comic and I thought I would HATE it, but I like it. It gives the X-men a comedy feel. There have been times where I have straight up bust out laughing because of this book. I enjoy it + Oya/Idie, Kid Omega/Quire, Broo, Storm, Rachel and others are worth the read.

Astonishing X-men It used to be good. The first 6 books are so were amazing. The Northstar wedding was nice too. Although this book is kinda stale and just an excuse to see Gambit, Wolverine, Warbird and friends get some 'X-book action'. Overall this book series is really hit or miss and sometimes I am left unastonished...

Legacy Ehhh... Legacy has always been pretty lame and it still is, saddly. Rogue and monolges.. NOW we have Legion: The Human Nipple Tassel. Although it's good to see Frenzy still in an X-title (consider most x-men are MIA ever since AvX)

X-men Storm still leading X-men and I KNOW Brain Wood is going to put this series on the map! This is the book EVERYONE is waiting for! Women of X-men UNITE! That's the Power of Girl Power! (This has potential to be my favorite X-book.... EVER!) now... if we could only get a Storm solo.... lol

#11 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4279 posts) - - Show Bio

@silver_raven said:

Astonishing: I adore Marjorie Liu and like her style and choices but she could write more bigger and bolder stories. With the right revamped team, and a new mission statement, I think her book can live up to it's title. Just adding Dazzler and Sage and perhaps a Nightcrawler would make it a lot more exciting. I also would like to see more of a connection to the school. It needs to be more involved with the other books and have more influence. It seems to be off in it's own world like X-Factor.

Uncanny Avengers: Don't like anything about it really. The cast sucks and has no diversity in it other Sunfire who should be on an X-team. What ever potential the book could have had to make a really good and believable team of X-men and Avengers was wasted. I hope it fades to obscurity. If Storm, Moonstar, and Cannonball were on the team instead of Rogue, Havok, and Sunfire, then i think it could have been much better.

X-Factor: I need more from this book. A new cast and soft reset would be cool but I don't find this book enjoyable other than for Monet's dialogue.

I feel like Sunfire would be completely wasted on an X-team, and Rogue already has been for years, so I'm happy to see them on the Avengers. But I do agree that it might have been more interesting to see Cannonball and/or Moonstar in place of Havoc, though after reading issue 5, he is growing on me (for the first time in decades).

As for X-factor, it's actually pretty sad what's become of this book; at one time it was one of the best books marvel had, and now seemingly running out juice. Maybe it should be restarted with a new cast. It is beginning to feel like the only one I'd miss is Monet (which is saying a lot, given my undying love for Madrox). Maybe a new X-factor is what Marjorie Liu should be writing instead of another fringe X-men book.

#12 Edited by AgeofHurricane (7265 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4279 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7265 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: That's not specifically what i meant, but since you have read her work, what makes you think she'd be competent enough to write an X-Factor ?

#15 Posted by Rickbarry (1752 posts) - - Show Bio

All New X-Men- I like it, but I feel it is slowly losing its novelty. There has yet to be a mission, Storm and Beast are just there most issues, and he's juggling alot of characters and keeps adding more. However, the original are fun to read in this new setting and he is doing a great job with Kitty and Bobby.

Uncanny X-Men- Currently not reading. I did get the first two issues and it is very good, but I read too many titles as is.

WATX- Dropped. Was good at first, but quickly became sh!t.

Uncanny X-Force- I like it, but it needs a more solid direction. Also Storm is slightly off.

Uncanny Avengers- If it wasn't for Janet I would have dropped this after Alex's bullsh!t speech, and Rogue's blunder. Rogue deserves better.

Cable's X-Force- Dropped. I love Colossus and that kept me on for four issues, but I just wasn't feeling it.

Legacy- No idea didn't appeal to me so I didn't read it.

As stated above I cannot wait for X-Men. I want this title to be LEGENDARY.

Oh and Ult. X-Men is amazing everyone pick it up from the issue before last and jump onboard

You should give Cable & X-force another shot, bud. The last two issues have been rather fantastic. They finally stopped the time jumping. Plus, if you're big on Petey, the following two issues are pretty much Colossus centered. I actually like the prospect of Domilossus.

As for the thread itself? I haven't been able to read a whole lot lately, but I'm mainly sticking the satellite titles. Cable & X-force and Uncanny X-force, but the latter is hitting the skids. Dunno how long I'll hang in there. Art is great, but everything else kind of...well it kind of sucks. I want to try Uncanny.

#16 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7265 posts) - - Show Bio

@rickbarry: Please don't tell me you mean Uncanny...X-Men ?

#17 Posted by Rickbarry (1752 posts) - - Show Bio

@rickbarry: Please don't tell me you mean Uncanny...X-Men ?

My ipad posted before I wanted it to, lol. I was going to say, but it has Bendis and Bachalo. Not happening.

#18 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4279 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: That's not specifically what i meant, but since you have read her work, what makes you think she'd be competent enough to write an X-Factor ?

I'm only really familiar with her work on Astonishing X-men and NYX, I guess, but from that I think of her as someone who can make B and C-list characters (or even completely new ones) interesting enough to carry a story, which is what I think of when I think of X-factor. She seems to have an interest in more street level, humanistic characters and stories. I think if she was given the chance to put together her own X-factor it would probably be a refreshingly distinct alternative to more traditional X-men stories, which is again, what I think of when I think of good X-factor.

I'm not saying she's got the chops of Peter David in his prime, but, sadly, neither does he at this point. But I'm really just saying X-factor seems like it's been running on fumes for a while now, and maybe it's time for some new blood.

#19 Posted by TDK_1997 (14471 posts) - - Show Bio

All New X-Men - Well as I thought it's average and it definitely doesn't entertain me much.So far for 10 issues almost nothing has happened and I can't stand Jean Grey.
Uncanny X-Men - Better than expected but still not good enough.
Uncanny X-Force - Started off great but now it's storytelling is getting sloppy and the last issue was a real disappointment.
Wolverine and the X-Men - Right now that's the worst title that has the X-Men in it and is one of the worst in Marvel as a whole.
Cable and X-Force - Expected a lot but I'm disappointed,dropped it.
X-Men Legacy - The best current book that has mutants in it.Legion is portrayed great and Spurrier manages to intrigue me with every issue.
Uncanny Avengers - Started off really bad now it's getting kinda on the right road.

#20 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7265 posts) - - Show Bio

@ageofhurricane said:

I'm only really familiar with her work on Astonishing X-men and NYX, I guess, but from that I think of her as someone who can make B and C-list characters (or even completely new ones) interesting enough to carry a story, which is what I think of when I think of X-factor. She seems to have an interest in more street level, humanistic characters and stories. I think if she was given the chance to put together her own X-factor it would probably be a refreshingly distinct alternative to more traditional X-men stories, which is again, what I think of when I think of good X-factor.

I'm not saying she's got the chops of Peter David in his prime, but, sadly, neither does he at this point. But I'm really just saying X-factor seems like it's been running on fumes for a while now, and maybe it's time for some new blood.

I see, but with all those traits, traits that quite a few other writers have, personally i don't think she could handle X-Factor, i think you need to be a specific type of writer to handle that much of an ensemble cast and i don't think Liu's got what it takes. For what was supposed to be a dark and nitty-gritty run of Astonishing X-Men, it's been mediocre at best. There've been some good moments, but like a lot of title Marvel's been pushing out, there was so much hype and what she delivered didn't live up to the hype. She's incompetent.

PAD's got it down, i think the problem may be that he's been writing the title for too long and unlike most, he hasn't had the chance of a relaunch/revamp, he's still writing the same story and catering to the same audience, but it's obviously a stake-changing story that he'll need to run with until things have passes. Atm patience is needed, cause the negative feedback is running on hyperbolic. X-Factor had the title of being the most consistent X-Book running in terms of stellar characterization, art and all sorts. It still does.

@rickbarry: Lol Thank the Goddess.

#21 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4279 posts) - - Show Bio

I see, but with all those traits, traits that quite a few other writers have, personally i don't think she could handle X-Factor, i think you need to be a specific type of writer to handle that much of an ensemble cast and i don't think Liu's got what it takes. For what was supposed to be a dark and nitty-gritty run of Astonishing X-Men, it's been mediocre at best. There've been some good moments, but like a lot of title Marvel's been pushing out, there was so much hype and what she delivered didn't live up to the hype. She's incompetent.

PAD's got it down, i think the problem may be that he's been writing the title for too long and unlike most, he hasn't had the chance of a relaunch/revamp, he's still writing the same story and catering to the same audience, but it's obviously a stake-changing story that he'll need to run with until things have passes. Atm patience is needed, cause the negative feedback is running on hyperbolic. X-Factor had the title of being the most consistent X-Book running in terms of stellar characterization, art and all sorts. It still does.

haha! well, I can't say I agree with all of your points about Liu (I definitely wouldn't call her incompetent), but you may have a point that someone else might be a better fit. I'd be interested in seeing her do it, though.

As for Peter David, I hope you're right, because X-factor was one of the best books going when he restarted it, but I personally don't think it's been very consistent in quite a while. Maybe he needs a new project, but either way, I do think he ran out of cool new ideas for these characters some time ago. Something's going to have to change in a real way for me to get excited about that book, at present.

#22 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@rickbarry: Daaaaw ok, but only because you said it got better!

#23 Posted by John Valentine (16304 posts) - - Show Bio

The Bendis titles are the only X-titles I'm enjoying at the moment. In all honesty, they're pretty decent but not amazing. They have their problems, but they're a hell of a lot better than most of the other X-titles.

X-Factor is still good.

I'm interested in Uncanny Avengers' focus on Apocalypse. I do like Remender, but I don't think Uncanny Avengers is as good as Uncanny X-Force. Not a fan of the cast. I only like Wolverine and Thor and the first arc was pretty underwhelming - certainly not helped by the delayed release.

Uncanny X-Force is disappointing. I wanted to like it, I really did, but Humphries just seems like a bit douche who's trying to make this series as edgy/cool as possible by including silly jokes and random characters/tropes. I hope he doesn't mess up Fantomex too much.

Cable and X-Force is boring as, which is a shame because Avengers Arena's a decent read, month-in, month-out.

Wolverine and The X-Men is a pathetic waste of paper and ink.

A+X is like any other team-up mini-series has released in the past six years - generic. Haven't bought it so can't complain.

Astonishing X-Men is just sh!t.

Age of Apocalypse and X-Treme X-Men were okay but not good enough to maintain my interest for a sustained period of time. I'm not sad about their cancellation, but I'm not interested in X-Sanction, either. It seems like a half-baked, pointless crossover that just serves to boost final sales for two already dead series.

Overall like fewer Marvel NOW! titles than I did pre-Marvel NOW! I must say, however, that Young Avengers is pretty great.

#24 Posted by RaggedScarecrow (788 posts) - - Show Bio

All New X-Men: Some of the best art I've seen in a long while, but it's really slow. Considering dropping if it doesn't pick up soon.

Cable and the X-Force: Another of my personal favorites and also in my top 3. I'm dying to know where this is going next.

Ultimate Comics X-Men: Fantastic art with better writing. Definately one of my fave X-titles, even if it's an alt-world. I'm really enjoying the different takes on some of my fave characters.

Uncanny Avengers: I'm a little unsure about this one. I want to like it but it seems more Avengers than X-Men. However, it gets major brownie points for having not everbody be instinctively nice to Wanda. I'll wait it out and see what happens next.

Uncanny X-Force: Some cool art, an interesting team, and good writing, this book does so much right that I'm almost willing to overlook breaking up Psylocke and Fantomex. Almost. Still, I'd recomment giving it a shot if you're a fan of Betsy.

Uncanny X-Men: I cannot stress how much I love this title. Definitely in my top 3 comics.

Wolverine and the X-Men: Dropped. Interesting intially, but it became too quirky for my tastes. I also have major problems with spending 25+ issues dealing predominantly with one group of villains. This new Hellfire Club just isn't that interesting to read about, plus Shark Girl and Eye Boy are kinda lame and Sprite is a poor-man's Pixie. Do not recommend.

X-Men Legacy: Picked it up on a whim and was absolutely floored by it; it really is a fantastic series. The art perfectly suits the story and it's nice to see Legion's thoughts on his late father. Also, I'm really happy that Blindfold plays such a prominent role.

Overall, the Marvel NOW! re-boot works for me. I'll admit to being nervous when I heard about Bendis taking over the X-world, but I've been happy with his writing so far. Althought, I'd much rather another X-kids books like New X-Men than two Wolverine titles.

#25 Posted by papad1992 (6822 posts) - - Show Bio

All New X-Men - Is one of the best X-books out there right now!!

Uncanny X-Men - Is building up but a little lack-lusting for me.

Uncanny X-Force - Is good but, like others have said, feels a little forced. Remender's X-Force had such ease and flow...

Wolverine and the X-Men - Has always been on a downward spiral. It's not delivering like it should. It needs to be more about the X-students everyone actually likes... not these half-@ss characters they keep creating.

Gambit - Stopped reading after the second issue...

X-treme X-Men - has been good off and on but the current crossover, X-Termination, is a little overdone and boring.

Astonishing X-Men - Has been a let down. The first story with Karma was a types of confusing. I want more Cecilia Reyes, if you're gonna reintroduce her, make her shine! Northstar is way too much into this series. And Warbird was amazing in her little story. So I have mixed reviews.

Savage Wolverine - Don't read it.

X-Men Legacy - It has been okay... just okay. I like the direction but I can't get passed the art... it sucks so badly that it takes away from the story.

Cable and X-Force - Never read it... I heard mixed reviews about it. The concept to me is a little boring. I love all of the characters though.

X-Factor - I've been a loyal fan of this series since it started, so I love the series. Currently it's ok.

A+X - Is a little awkward and corny at times...

Uncanny Avengers - Just because it has Rogue, Havok, Wolverine, and Sunfire doesn't mean it's an X-book. I know it supposed to be the bridge between Avengers and X-Men but I can't take the series seriously!!

Fearless Defenders - Again, just because it has Dani Moonstar doesn't mean it's an X-book... but it's getting good overall.

Age of Apocalypse - Has been "meh" material.

X-Men - Since Storm's recon team disbanded, the story has been a little disappointing. I like how they're trying to push Chamber more into the spotlight but it still needs to be edited. But I'm looking forward to Storm's all-female team.

Wolverine - Don't read it.

Deadpool - Don't read it!

I think that's all of them... So currently I have mixed reviews at the way the X-universe is in.

#26 Posted by Rickbarry (1752 posts) - - Show Bio

@rickbarry: Daaaaw ok, but only because you said it got better!

-Has mad influence.- Yeah!

#28 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4279 posts) - - Show Bio

Uncanny Avengers: I'm a little unsure about this one. I want to like it but it seems more Avengers than X-Men. However, it gets major brownie points for having not everbody be instinctively nice to Wanda. I'll wait it out and see what happens next.

well, it is actually an Avengers book. I'm starting to dig it though, it's starting to have the feel of an old-school (say, 70's or 80's style) Avengers book, which we haven't had in a while.

Astonishing X-Men - Has been a let down. The first story with Karma was a types of confusing. I want more Cecilia Reyes, if you're gonna reintroduce her, make her shine! Northstar is way too much into this series. And Warbird was amazing in her little story. So I have mixed reviews.

Yeah, I've had really mixed feelings on this one, too. Definitely wanted to see more of Cecilia. And Gambit. Though I do like how she uses them, it would be nice to see more. I love Northstar, but I don't really give a toss about his relationship with Kyle, so I could do with lots less of that. Warbird is by far the character that interests me the least, but as you said, she had one of the best arcs. So conflicted.

haha! alright, before anyone else jumps down my throat about this, this was just an off-hand comment and not a suggestion I really put a lot of thought into. I love most of Peter David's X-factor, it just hasn't really done it for me in quite a while.

But I guess I thought it was blasphemy when I saw what they did with Astonishing X-men after Whedon left, so I guess I can understand the sentiment.

#29 Edited by John Valentine (16304 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyway, Wood's Ultimate Comics X-Men is absolutely great.

Just reread Uncanny X-Force Vol.1 #1-3. Utter crap, even if the art is nice.

#30 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7265 posts) - - Show Bio

Like two others have said above, Ultimate Comics X-Men is bloody fantastic. Shame on me for not adding that in my original post.

#31 Posted by leoseeks (7 posts) - - Show Bio

I've just started reading comics again after a long hiatus so I'm playing catch up

Legacy - I love it and so far my favorite

All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men - I don't read those and so far I'm not tempted to pick those up

Uncanny X-Force - meh. I'll give it a couple more issues

Wolverine and the X-Men - meh

Gambit - haven't read so I can't comment

Astonishing X-Men - I'm trying to hang on to this one but its a little slow for me

Savage Wolverine - Don't read it.

Cable and X-Force - I don't read this one either but I'll give this one a try because of Colossus and Forge

X-Factor - I haven't read it but I'll give this one a try also..

Uncanny Avengers - Not Bad. I hated Alex's speech but I'm looking forward to the next issue

Ultimate Xmen- I haven't read this title either

#32 Posted by papad1992 (6822 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992 said:

Yeah, I've had really mixed feelings on this one, too. Definitely wanted to see more of Cecilia. And Gambit. Though I do like how she uses them, it would be nice to see more. I love Northstar, but I don't really give a toss about his relationship with Kyle, so I could do with lots less of that. Warbird is by far the character that interests me the least, but as you said, she had one of the best arcs. So conflicted.

I want this series to delve more into the characterizations of being the mutant heroes of New York basically. Them being in this new crossover X-Termination is really from left field. They really had nothing to do with this whole ordeal (with the exception of Wolverine).

#33 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7265 posts) - - Show Bio

Astonishing should have never went in that bloody direction after Pak's arc. I was hoping for and would still vouch for a "young" X-Team chaperoned by Karma et al, wouldn't even mind if Liu was writing, i don't want to know what Gambit's bloody apartment looks like. Quite tired of giving attention to characters who don't need it, and putting them in the same arbitrary situations. Constant use of adults giving the inclination that the target-audience for comics in this day age is for people over the age of, what, 28 ? Kind of annoying. You'd think that the X-Men don't have a next generation the way it's going.

More reason why i can't wait for X-Men, Jubilee's POV all the way.

#34 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4279 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: agreed. I've stopped reading it since the crossover started.

Astonishing should have never went in that bloody direction after Pak's arc. I was hoping for and would still vouch for a "young" X-Team chaperoned by Karma et al, wouldn't even mind if Liu was writing,

yeah, that would interest me much more also. Plus Karma and Northstar already have cool established relationships with those characters, so they'd be perfect candidates anyway. Wolverine and Iceman don't need to be in this book anyway, and despite Liu's efforts, I still just don't give a toss about Warbird. Bring on the next gen.

#35 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

My thoughts:

• All New X-Men: Typical Bendis-style team book. Lots of angst and shouting and characters acting out of character and the ring of Bendis dialogue is gratingly distinctive. I don't see this book going anywhere other than irrelevance or alt-universe. That's the only way to really manage the continuity issue. So yeah, I don't feel engaged. I didn't expect the "real return of Jean Grey" to be so ho-hum.
  • Uncanny X-Men: I keep waiting for this series to do something big. We have some new characters, but young X-Men seem to exist exclusively for the chopping block so that doesn't excite me as much as the new powers people are displaying. Why can't we get more on that? I do like the new costumes except for Scott's X-mask. The art overall is pretty solid.
  • Uncanny X-Force: I thought I would like this title more than I do. It looks great, but chasing down Spiral's little orphan doesn't really sell me on this. The stakes need to be raised.
  • Cable and the X-Force: This title kind of bounces around. It has some great moments, especially with Forge and Nemesis, but we don't know enough about this impending doom they're trying to avoid. Also, I'm sick of that arc. We see that arc so often. I get that it's cables thing, but come on.
  • Uncanny Avengers: I was liking this a lot until Alex Summers' silly tone-deaf speech. Now I'm kinda ehhhh on it. Also, Rogue seems very out of character at times. She's been angry before, but never this petulent. But the art is good, the conept is good, and the villain is crazy-scary. Good setup with flawed execution so far.
  • A+X: Never really know what you're gonna get here. Some have been great, others less so. I do like the concept of a teamup book though.
  • Savage Wolverine: Terrible. Typical Wolverine thuggery.
  • Gambit: Hit and miss. I like that this run focuses on his thieving days though. I feel like that's more unique. His old title, which I liked, focused more on his power set and that might have made it more run of the mill in retrospect. This series does a good job of showing him as a unique character in the Marvel universe.
  • Fearless Defenders: I don't really see this as an X-book just because there's an X-Man in it. I wouldn't consider Avengers an X-title just because Wolverine is on the team.
  • Wolverine and the X-Men: Probably the freshest and most enjoyable X-title out there right now. It incorporates events without feeling ruled by them. It feels simultaneously new and yet has the classic X-Men setup. Wolverine is a terrible headmaster but in many ways that makes the book more entertaining.
  • Astonishing X-Men: What is going on in this book? It's a mess. And this crossover didn't help things.
  • X-Treme X-Men: Love seeing Dazzler get the highlight and there are some great alt-U versions of some characters. I liked the Emma Frost and Logan, and I really like the Civil War era Cyclops. I didn't realize how much I missed Exiles until this book came out. Again, struggling in the crossover.
  • Age of Apocalypse: Nothing really grabs me here. I'd only read it to follow along with the AoA Sabretooth but he's barely in it other than the daddy/kid stuff.
  • X-Factor: I like it still, especially since Alex didn't stick around to screw up the team mojo, but it's been seeming directionless for a while. Just bouncing around. I wouldn't mind ending the wolf-boy storyline and then taking some regular old cases for a while before launching another big arc.
  • X-Men Legacy: I like this title a lot. They've done more with this character than I expected them to, and the relationship with Blindfold is interesting to me.
#36 Posted by lorex (949 posts) - - Show Bio

My take on Current X-Men titles.

All New X-Men has been pretty good so far. I do like Kitty being the taskmaster putting the O5 through their paces in the danger room and being a mentor. Its in interesting take on the O5 X-Men but I think they eventually have to go back to the past. Also I do see this title as a sort of copout to bringing Jean back. There are so many good young X-Men characters so who do we need the O5. I think Bendis is a good enough writer to make a compelling book about the younger X-Men without using the gimmick of the O5. Also I think Jean's character is diverging the most from the established character. It seems that the compassion and empathy she previously had is missing.

Uncanny X-Men is a title that I am enjoying so far. I like Cyclops mutant revolution as opposed to Wolverines more conformist organization. I do not like the whole powers are not working properly. It just seems like a cheap ploy to create more drama. I would like to see more about the newer X-Men discovered and I hope that in time they will be more fleshed out as characters.

Uncanny X-Force has been interesting so far. I like Betsy's aggressive attitude. I really like Puck being in the mix, he is great. More explination why Bishop is back is required.

Cable and the X-Force. Well Cable being one of my favorite characters I am concerned when big changes are made with the character. When he was finally cured of the techno organic virus he was shown to have equally shaped arms yet this title launched ha has one normal sized one and the other was small and withered. Again I think this is another cheap ploy to introduce drama or in this case a new cybernetic arm for Cable. I do like Forge, Domino and Dr Nemesis but I think Colossus has gone back to being same old boring Piotr. Boom Boom potentially joining the team is interesting. I would like to see more interaction between Cable and Hope.

Uncanny Avengers is only OK so far. This title launched with high expectations and while it has not been bad it has not wowed me either. I like the idea of having a combined X-Men Avengrs team but I feel this is too much of an Avengers book. While Havok is the leader its like everyone seems to be waiting for Captain America to take the lead. Hopefully a good confrontation between then can develop from that.

A+X. Like others have said this has been hit or miss so far. There have been some good stories but some not so good as well.

Savage Wolverine. Have not read

Gambit is ok, but I feel that it is missing something but I could not tell you what that is

Wolverine and the X-Men. I like this series for the most part but I would like to see more of the other students there rather then focusing on the same every issue.

X-Factor. Yes this title is kind of all by itself in the wilderness but it continues to be intresting and has established good relationships between the various chartacters. Favorite characters are Madrox, M and Layla, she knows things. Seems like it is coming to a conclusion of sorts so I will be interested to see what comes next.

X-Men Legacy. This title is one that could more focus. I like Legion and seeing his struggle with his inner demons is interesting. Legion is potentially the most powerful mortal in the marvel universe. The title however seems to lack direction. Davids struggle to control his powers is the same old thing. For once I would like to see him retain some form of control for a change and maybe then have him struggle to control his powers rather then the inner demons. I like the growing relationship between Legion and Blindfold and I wonder if her calling herdelf his nemesis could mean they will be advseries in the future.

#37 Edited by PhoenixoftheTides (3453 posts) - - Show Bio

I've dropped every X-Men title except X-Factor and Uncanny X-Force - I don't care about Bishop, though, so he's a sour note in the latter book. I like Spiral, but not really too interested in the other characters, and was surprised by how bored I got with the lineup. It's fun to see Puck but I don't see anything original in this book thus far. Psylocke comes off as an idiot. I, too, feel that X-Factor has run its' course even though I really like the book.

I've picked up a few issues of Uncanny Avengers, but this really is an odd series - they seem too underpowered to be "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" and events in it don't seem to have any ramifications outside of the book. I'm still not understanding why Scarlet Witch isn't in a mental institution and why her costume is so damned ugly. She used to be one of my favorite members of the Avengers, but I really don't like her now. It takes a special type of idiot to have her history and still give holier-than-thou speeches.

I did give Uncanny X-Men and All New X-Men a few issues each to grow on me, but neither feels interesting to me. I've said it before but I'm just not buying the X-Men stories that Bendis and Co. are selling. I find a lot of it to be redundant, to be honest, and a lot of his characters aren't really that interesting or though provoking to me. I also didn't read 90% of AvX, so I didn't really like where the storylines were going before they came to fruition, anyway.

#38 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7265 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: Don't really care about Northstar as he wasn't featured a great deal in the original New Mutants/Academy X series for me to get a feel of that "establishment", though i can agree with it, he doesn't appeal to me. Karma on the other hand...

#39 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4279 posts) - - Show Bio

@ageofhurricane said:

@oldnightcrawler: Don't really care about Northstar as he wasn't featured a great deal in the original New Mutants/Academy X series for me to get a feel of that "establishment", though i can agree with it, he doesn't appeal to me. Karma on the other hand...

Well, I'm a pretty big Northstar fan anyway, I guess, but also I associate him pretty heavily with Anole, who, though a bit of a late-comer to that class, was always one of my favourites. I've often thought that if he'd existed when I was a teenager myself, he'd probably be my favourite character (a little bit Nightcrawler, a little bit Kitty Pryde, with the most interesting powers of both Wolverine and symbiote-era Spiderman; what's not to love?).

But I do agree that, for this purpose specifically, Karma interests me more. Of the two of them.

#40 Posted by Rabidwolfdog (259 posts) - - Show Bio

well being that Xtreme Xmen is ending and Astonishing Xmen seems to be the segway to that series, I'll be going the Marjorie Liu path, looking forward to it. Seems to be its own book rather then mushed with the drama in the other books." All New Xmen" seems a bit gimmicky, " Uncanny X-men" how long is Cyclops going to be mr.tormented before he gets replaced by 60s Scott? "Cable and the X-men" not a fan of Cable. Savage Wolverine doesn't look savage enough. X-Men Legacy I can't take a book that follows a lead with an eraserhead hair cut. So... Astonishing it is

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.