Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

What do you think is the reason for Gambit's change?

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ascended

in his character.. going from being a villain to being an anti-hero now and soon to be superhero one day..

Is this what Marvel wanted primarily or is this change/transition rather inspired by the fans?

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anybody know?

Silver_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

He was a bad boy originally with a good heart when he first met Storm and joined the X-men. They he went, then bad, then good again, the bad, then good as he is now.

It''s part of his charm i guess. He goes where going is good.

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ascended

@silver_raven: Fans like me like this character a lot. I hope they turn him into a real superhero one day.

SleightOfHand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SleightOfHand

Well, it's partly fan-inspired since the original plan for Gambit was to have him eventually betray the X-Men. That changed a long time ago though.

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sleightofhand: part of the change to this was to make him responsible for the Morlock Massacre by forming the Marauders for Sinister. Rather than the betrayal of the X-Men

I think Gambit has always been a shifty character - we don't know where he stands. HE doesn't entirely know where he stands. But we do know that in spite of his rogue-ish exterior (pun unfortunate and unintentional) he has a hero's heart. Thats what Storm saw originally. What Rogue saw eventually. And what we've seen for the past 30ish years.

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ascended

@devilsgrin81: Can they make him into a real superhero one day? I think he should be that than a villain. I want to see him on a big screen where his origins are introduced, how he get his super powers, shows them off against a couple of street thugs, and also battle off major villians in the end.

Avatar image for moonlighterstone
    Moonlighterstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sleightofhand: part of the change to this was to make him responsible for the Morlock Massacre by forming the Marauders for Sinister. Rather than the betrayal of the X-Men

I think Gambit has always been a shifty character - we don't know where he stands. HE doesn't entirely know where he stands. But we do know that in spite of his rogue-ish exterior (pun unfortunate and unintentional) he has a hero's heart. Thats what Storm saw originally. What Rogue saw eventually. And what we've seen for the past 30ish years.

Can you tell me a lil more about the Morlock Massacre? I don't think I ever read this story arc. What issue did this happen?

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devilsgrin81 said:

Can you tell me a lil more about the Morlock Massacre? I don't think I ever read this story arc. What issue did this happen?

i can't remember the exact issues... late 90s issues for sure. Probably post Onslaught tho iirc. Rogue was forced to touch him, and she absorbed all him memories.. including his (suddenly retconned) history with Mr Sinister. Wherein he underwent neurosurgery to remove a piece of his brain, to permanently limit his powers - preventing him from annihilating the planet. His payment for services rendered was Assembling the Marauders for Sinister.

The Morlock Massacre was a late 80s arc which included X-Men, Thor and iirc the FF... it was Mr Sinister clearing out poor genetic stock. It was whilst Storm was powerless and Leader of the Morlocks. Most of the morlocks were slaughtered, Angel's wings were crippled beyond repair (they were amputated), Nightcrawler iirc had major damage to his tail... it was pretty brutal... as you can imagine with Sabretooth and the rest of the Marauders (all of whom are utterly bloodthirsty - Scalphunter, Blockbuster and Arclight in particular) doing the slaughtering.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By oldnightcrawler

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.