We've grown accustomed to seeing themed variant covers. We've seen Wolverine Art Appreciation Month, Iron Man By Design & Deadpool Month. There have even been months celebrating 70 years of Captain America & the Fantastic Four. And let's not forget the repeated Zombie & Vampire themed months.
Marvel haven't announced anything, but a quick look down the solicitations for May 2011 revealed an Uncanny theme. The phrase " X-Men Evolutions Variant" crops up again & again. Each cover features one X-Man (or X-Woman) dancing across the page in a dazzling display of their personal fashion hits & misses over the years.
So far we know that 13 titles will feature these fashionable mutants. The only wardrobes we've had a sneak peek of so far belong to Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Rogue & Sabretooth. But there's no current indication of who else will appear.
The titles to look out for are:
- Amazing Spider-Man #661 (artist to be announced);
- Avengers #13 by Paul Renaud;
- Captain America #618 (Rogue) by Chris Stevens;
- FF #3 (artist to be announced);
- Herc #3 by John Tyler Christopher;
- Hulk #3 (Emma Frost) by Greg Tocchini;
- Invincible Iron Man #504 (Kitty Pryde) by Brandon Peterson;
- The Mighty Thor #2 by David Yardin;
- New Avengers #12 by Khoi Pham;
- Secret Avengers #13 (artist to be announced);
- Venom #3 (Sabretooth) by Patrick Zircher;
- Wolverine #9 (artist to be announced); and
- X-Men #11 by David Lopez;
Personally I think the various themed months are cute & sometimes funny. However, they have yet to convince me to part with any extra cash for the pretty alternative art. But so far I like the look of these X-Men Evolutions. It really drives home how far a character has 'evolved'. For instance, Kitty Pryde has blossomed from a little feisty kid into a strong & confident young woman (yet she's not seen sporting her current Mr Freeze-esque goldfish bowl... gee, I wonder why). Also, the quality of art seems to range depending on which artist has drawn the cover. Yet so are I think the Emma Frost cover is the most dynamic yet (even though her wardrobe hasn't changed that much). If Emma looks so natural posing, imagine how former fashion model Psylocke will look!
So with just over a dozen covers (and one wasted on Sabretooth), who else do you think will have a chance to shine on their own cover? Cyclops, Magneto & Wolverine seem like natural choices. But who else would you like to see? By which artist? And would you be willing to pay extra for their cover?