Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

What are your favorite current X-men books?

• 55 results
    Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

Poll What are your favorite current X-men books? (60 votes)

X-men 45%
    Uncanny X-men 33%
    All-new X-men 52%
    Astonishing X-men 12%
    Wolverine and the X-men 12%
    Ultimate Comics X-men 15%
    X-men Legacy 7%
    reprints and back issues? 15%

Vote for every book you're enjoying currently! You can vote for more than one book! Vote for them all, if you want!!

I noticed on some other polls that people always want to say what they're second and third favorite books are, so it seems like most X-fans here are usually reading and enjoying more than one book; this seemed like a better way to see what people really think the best current titles are, without having to limit your choices to just one book (though, I have limited it to just X-men books).

• 
    Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@deaditegonzo: The Book focuses on the relationship between Cyke and his 'generals' so to speak (emma and mags)... it doesn't intensely focus on Cyke, but it definitely builds itself around Cyclops. He's awesome and was right (bound to stir some shit up =D)

@knighthood: To each their own i guess man ^_^. I agree, his Gen X work is definitely better than his current works (WatXM and Uncanny), and i think the reason for that is the colouring. It use to be bright and edgy, now it seems so dull and bland...

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@deaditegonzo: The Book focuses on the relationship between Cyke and his 'generals' so to speak (emma and mags)... it doesn't intensely focus on Cyke, but it definitely builds itself around Cyclops. He's awesome and was right (bound to stir some shit up =D)

No, you and Cyke were both right. There have been 50 years or so real world time where the mutants have tried diplomacy, but the humans wont give them peace. They refuse. The mutants are victims of constant abuses, like the slaves, or like the colonies claimed the British treated them in the Revolutionary War era. Sometimes, good people must take violent action in the name of those who cannot defend themselves.

And Jean, Wolverine and Scarlet Witch, and all the other murderers who are judging Scott are dirty hypocrites.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 49

@knighthood: To each their own i guess man ^_^. I agree, his Gen X work is definitely better than his current works (WatXM and Uncanny), and i think the reason for that is the colouring. It use to be bright and edgy, now it seems so dull and bland...

I think you're on to something. There used to be much more contrast in Gen X so would make the colors pop much better. There also used to be a bit more polish on those earlier books. I dunno if it is because he changed inkers (Buckingham to Townsend) or if it is simply a change in style. He used to use a lot of line shading which reminds me of Art Adams who I love, but I don't see that much anymore. I also miss the spiral knuckles.

Gen X (what's up with the Turtle?)
    Gen X (what's up with the Turtle?)
    Generation NeXt (see the turtle again, plus the spiral knuckles, and amazing detail and lines)
    Generation NeXt (see the turtle again, plus the spiral knuckles, and amazing detail and lines)
    The colors don't pop as you mentioned, plus this seems rushed and kinda lazy.
    The colors don't pop as you mentioned, plus this seems rushed and kinda lazy.
    It's a very pretty picture. I like it more than W&tXM, but it seems a bit dull.
    It's a very pretty picture. I like it more than W&tXM, but it seems a bit dull.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 49

@knighthood: the backups are from the first 44 issues of Classic X-Men (before it became X-men Classic). The stories mostly revolve around what the X-men were doing between the missions of the reprinted stories; for example, the backup for the first issue takes place the night that the old and new X-men return from Krakoa, and examines the tensions between the two groups that leads to the original members leaving in the next issue.

If you're already familiar with the X-men of the late 70's, you probably have realized just how little down-time the team had in those days (when the team was still mostly a fairly traditional superhero group), at times being away for several missions at a time before eventually even getting to go home. These backups really help flesh out the characters and the relationships between them that may have only been loosely implied in the original stories.

In my mind, the backup stories are as good, if not better, than the feature stories being reprinted. The art in them is rarely anything special, but the characterization that Claremont would become famous for in the 80's (when Classic X-men also started) is in full force here, giving us a reason to really identify with the characters beyond their colorful adventures. Though they weren't printed until the mid 80's, these are probably my favorite X-men stories of the 70's.

So, basically, yeah, if you can find them for not too much, I'd definitely recommend picking them up, even above getting the originals or trade reprints of that era.

One of my personal favorites is the Big Dare!, from Classic X-Men #4 - Night of the Demon!, which shows, chronologically, the beginnings of Nightcrawler and Wolverine's legendary friendship. Just amazing stuff.

I picked up the first five issues and they are great. Claremont even changed a few areas of the reprints. I'll be getting more of this series. Thanks for the recommendation. So I guess a follow up questions are did you read X-Men Forever? Is it worth reading?

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@knighthood: between 2009 and 2010 I didn't read anything that wasn't on a telephone pole or didn't have to do with finishing my degree, so I really couldn't tell you. Mmm... but I do have those issues; I'll get back to you within the week.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.