Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

understanding the xman

samirerre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By samirerre

hello im a new comer to xman and i have some issues about plot holes,first did stan lee intended to mash xman with the rest of the marvel universe?

and did stan lee explained in a reasonable way how mutant hate-soperhero love works,why the people of new york admire spidy but hate mutants who dose the same work like spiderman dose,and i didnt get the point of magneto,in the comics hes people(jews)were murdered by the mass yet he sees the mutants as the victims.and please can someone tell me whats so special about wolverine? that mutant shares the same cheap ass personality of 500 different comic heros.

MarvelGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MarvelGrey

Wolverine is the most popular because he stuck to his attitude, and was a great guy now they've re-written his backstory so much and reduced his character development that he isn't worth reading these days. I suggest you pick up a trade of older Uncanny X-men during the 100 and 300 and find out the cool Wolverine everyone remembers he lost his steam after that if i recall correctly.

Basically mutants are all the discriminated races, genders, religions etc, mashed together and that is why people don't like them in a sense. It's their natural reaction because of the powers that another race wields more power than them, basic human nature really. The reason why Spider-man is because he is human and has always dedicated his life to super heroics. Mutants get a bad wrap because of the brotherhood and other mutants that have been destructive, it's a huge comparison to real life. For example everyone thinks that a person of Indian descent are terrorists when one person or a group commits a foul act usually more pay for it in the long run. The same thing goes for mutants in the Marvel U. I could go on about the other similarities but you would find it more interesting to do it yourself.

samirerre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By samirerre

what are you talking about the moment the xman put on thiere suits there arent much difference between them and the avengers,

and are you telling me they re-doing the stories? if so then there is no much of reason to read the old comics becouse they are uncanon,

and i find it very frustrating that i need to read xman,ultimate xman,astonishing xman and many MANY more xmans ,instead of one version of xman they make 20 different of them.

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Imagine_Man15

Humans discriminate against mutants particularly because they are the next step in human evolution, and therefore a threat to actual human existence. If someone basically said, "Hey, I'm the better version of your kind that you'll all eventually turn into after you stop being inferior humans," chances are it wouldn't go over well. Of course the X-Men don't do that, but its just sort of how the people of the Marvel universe see it.

Like the guy above me said, Wolverine was actually really great back before they sent his origin into one of the biggest continuity black holes ever and degraded his personality into the most generic thing possible. People mostly read Wolvie nowadays for the nostalgia.

MarvelGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MarvelGrey

@samirerre: Oh brother, you don't have to read all of these books continuity is what you make it out to be. Ultimate X-men is a different universe so that's you're choice. Astonishing don't even bother with it unless it's from issue 1-24 and Giant Size. It's mainly Uncanny X-men and Wolverine and the X-men as far as main continuity goes. Other X-titles are optional and add to more character development that they won't get in the main books. The difference between Avengers and X-Men when they have the costumes is that Avengers fight for humanity, X-Men fight for humanity, and Mutants. X-Men know they are hated every time they step into the battlefield; however the Avengers are loved by humanity entirely.

Comic publishers always rewrite things it's apart of comics, it doesn't mean everything isn't canon it just means that (in wolverine's case) they decide that they need to write more stuff in his adolescent years, and work on his relationships.

samirerre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By samirerre

marvelgrey

both xman and the avengers fight for mutants and normal humens alike,there is no real difference from what i see ,and the evolution dosent work that way ,when a group of beings evolve further

they ALL evolve,it cant be that only few born mutant each time,it cant be that jean grey has powers while her family have non becouse it defies evolution itself,and therefore its not evolution,but something else,if they cant explain it then they shouldnt bother at all.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dman1366

@samirerre said:

marvelgrey

both xman and the avengers fight for mutants and normal humens alike,there is no real difference from what i see ,and the evolution dosent work that way ,when a group of beings evolve further

they ALL evolve,it cant be that only few born mutant each time,it cant be that jean grey has powers while her family have non becouse it defies evolution itself,and therefore its not evolution,but something else,if they cant explain it then they shouldnt bother at all.

Tom Clancy: The difference between reality and fiction is that fiction has to make sense.

It really is just a comic friend. You cannot expect them to add every bit of scientific continuity into their writing.

But if you like that kind of accurate scientific portrayal, check out FF.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AweSam

@samirerre said:

marvelgrey

Are you being serious? It's a comic. Do you really think the original creators knew what they were doing? If it was evolution, every mutant would possess the exact same power. That power not being for offensive purposes. It would also take millions of years of mutation, not just BAM, I'm a superhero. We realize it's unrealistic and impossible, but that's pretty much the point. Also, people don't discriminate against Spider-man because when he first appeared, there was just one Spider-man saving the people of New York. Mutants, however, come in the boatload.

stambo42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By stambo42

@samirerre: claiming ignorance, asking for an explanation, and than telling the people who offer help you that they are wrong is trollish, and unbecoming.

These are Comic Books, not science. Stan Lee picked the word Mutant off the cuff in 1963, and slapped it on the series. Also, you can have both dominant and recessive genes that choose to manifest or not manifest. Blue eyes are a recessive trait, not everyone in a family will have blue eyes, but they will often all or mostly have the unactivated gene for it. At the same time there is a tribe in the Amazon where everyone has two toes on each foot. Still, this isn't the fictional X-gene works, so it doesn't matter.

The difference between The Avengers and and the X-men, going back to the 60s, is that the Avengers have always had known humans (Iron Man, Captain America, Hawkeye, etc) on the team, and because of that better PR. You don't get much better PR than Captain America. The FF have a known origin- the public likes them. For most of his history Spider Man was actually hated by many New Yorkers, in part because of a smear campaign by J.Jonah.Jamenson, and in part because many suspect he is a mutant. Mutant powers, in addition to representing a species based threat, tend to be less traditionally superhero based (in other words, the Superman package). My power is that every time I open my eyes everything in my field of vision gets obliterated by force beams, whether I like it or not. I smell act and look like an animal, have claws popping out of my hands, and can't be killed... not because the bullets bounce off my beautiful chest, but because you can watch as the exit wound closes up... to give an example. Wolverine is on the Avengers now because Marvel is shameless in their quest to maximize profits out of a dying whore, so don't go there.

As for plot holes, you try having multiple writers work on multiple series for 50 plus years, under some ridiculous editorial mandates, and have everything come out smoothly. That's why Marvelgrey told you to read 100-300... it's pretty much all written by one guy, so it has relatively few of these problems, even though an occasional editorial mandate did screw with things.

If you need more, read the wikipedia article.

MarvelGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MarvelGrey

It actually does work that way because Jean had a lot of family members they aren't mutants why because they didn't have the X gene. It's more of a natural selection than anything else, but it's written as genetic crossing so i would assume it's Sex linked inheritance.

And as for the Avengers fighting for mutant rights they only do that (if at anytime) when it benefits them. Why do they have mutants on the team? Because they are expendable soldiers.

May I ask what series' you have read thus far?

samirerre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By samirerre

please dont be mad at me people

im sorry if im being harsh i know its all comics nd science fiction,but there are moments when the writers try to make sens, and they just fail

marvelgrey-i mostly read ultimate spiderman,uncanny xman,spinoffs,and some old house of m comics.and thenk you for the advice

and i got to say its hell to try relate them all to each other storyline wise.

but sometimes i feel its much more easier to just watch the tv series and hoping its canon to the comics(probably non lol)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.