Underrated Mutants?

• 56 results
#1 Edited by HexThis (915 posts) - - Show Bio

Which mutants don't get enough play, enough praise, and enough attention but totally deserve all 3? Here's my picks:

Dead Girl

I loved Dead Girl's 5 issue series with Doctor Strange, I've always felt like her character had the most integration potential of any of the X-Statix. Her powers are cool too, she can communicate with the dead, she can go intangible, she has regeneration, some super-strength, and has retractable claw-like hands. An interesting story too, her mutation activated after death when she was murdered. She had a cool look about her too. Also, she's DEAD Girl, though they say she "died" the idea of her coming back isn't crazy.

Boom Boom

I wrote a whole blog about Boom Boom being awesome and SO not the inept nuisance floozy Marvel decided to make her. I wrote all about it here.

Marrow- Marrow is awesome because she's so not like a lot of other female characters in comics. Her mutation makes her feel (and sometimes look) ugly and though she's tough and almost grisly at times, she's really sensitive beneath it all.

The crazy thing is that Marrow is going to be in X-force in February with Boom Boom back in limbo after having FINALLY returned in "Cable & X-force". Hopefully I can have my cake and eat it too and Boom Boom will pop up somewhere else.

Below is Marrow's new design for X-force....

#2 Posted by poisonfleur (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

Selene

#3 Posted by Vitalius (2124 posts) - - Show Bio

Banshee

#4 Posted by poisonfleur (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

Lifeguard & Sage

#5 Posted by RaggedScarecrow (926 posts) - - Show Bio

Elixir. He's one of few confirmed Omega-level mutants so I don't understand why nobody has used him.

#6 Posted by westy206 (763 posts) - - Show Bio

Sauron needs more coverage in my opinion.

#7 Posted by XsPectre28 (736 posts) - - Show Bio

im still waiting for the return of Synch. we still dont know if he survived Necrosha or not. with wolverine, x-23, & elixer all on the island with him whose to say he didnt heal himself & flee before Selene started sacrificing the mutants on the island

#8 Posted by Rebelpunk13 (81 posts) - - Show Bio
RANDOM

#9 Posted by adamTRMM (1931 posts) - - Show Bio

Underrated mutants? I just tried to make a list then I was like "Wow, way too many..". It would be simpler to mention the overrated ones..

#10 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (3872 posts) - - Show Bio

blink, x-man, rachel grey, academy x students like surge, dust, etc, cannonball, dani moonstar, marvel wrecked x-men legacy turing it all about legion and blindfold(im glad its ending and might start up again), magma(does anyone remember her?), wolfbane, sunspot, etc. Emma frost needs to get out of cyclops shadow ASAP.

#11 Posted by _Gaff_ (3681 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by Rebelpunk13 (81 posts) - - Show Bio

maggot? lol worst x man ever!

#13 Posted by mistresssobeautiful (819 posts) - - Show Bio

Cypher

- one of my all-time favorite characters, and even though his powers weren't the most flashy (or at all) he was still a viable mutant.

Tarot

- Ok she could create psionic constructs and then later on take on the abilities of her tarot cards, why was she never seen? I mean honestly she could've been such a great character if Fitzroy didn't take a huge dump on the Hellions.

Magik

- I wouldn't say she is underrated, but definetly underused. I loved her and I always wished that Claremont added Illyana to the team.

Mirage

- Another character I wished had been become a full-fledged member, Dani totally deserved it. She had an interesting power set and personality, of course that was completely destroyed (power wise).

#14 Posted by westy206 (763 posts) - - Show Bio

Toad is underrated. I think he could have a very interesting solo if given to a decent writer.

#15 Edited by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (3872 posts) - - Show Bio

@mistresssobeautiful said:

Cypher

- one of my all-time favorite characters, and even though his powers weren't the most flashy (or at all) he was still a viable mutant.

Tarot

- Ok she could create psionic constructs and then later on take on the abilities of her tarot cards, why was she never seen? I mean honestly she could've been such a great character if Fitzroy didn't take a huge dump on the Hellions.

Magik

- I wouldn't say she is underrated, but definetly underused. I loved her and I always wished that Claremont added Illyana to the team.

Mirage

- Another character I wished had been become a full-fledged member, Dani totally deserved it. She had an interesting power set and personality, of course that was completely destroyed (power wise).

Tarot was awesome and so was catseye and roulette who was like longshot's power. Also i think longshot is a underused character sure he had now longshot saves the mu but after that its back to comicbook limbo. Aslo bring back sofia.

@westy206 said:

Toad is underrated. I think he could have a very interesting solo if given to a decent writer.

lol a solo with toad ScArY

#16 Posted by skypilotbinky (98 posts) - - Show Bio

Skin

I always see Skin on the most useless mutants lists and can't help but disagree with them. Skin's, um, skin should be able to do things similar to what Carnage does with his symbiote powers. He should be able to make weapons out of his hands, spikes come out of his body etc. He should also be able to crawl up walls by molding his skin around the surface of the walls and he should be able to glide through the air by stretching the skin under his arms. Skin should be able to do many things with his powers but unfortunately the people that make these lists have very limited imaginations.

Sunspot

Sunspot is certainly a mutant who never gets his due. He can absorb solar energy to get superhuman strength, durability, stamina, speed, agility, reflexes, regeneration, flight, solar/fire/light/electricity manipulation. energy generation etc. Does any of that sound familiar? He might not be able to go toe to toe with Sups but I don't understand the people who say he doesn't belong on the Avengers.

Jubilee

I'm going to get a little ranty about this one so heads up...

Jubilee represents a time before the current generation of faux girl power, tough for the sake of being tough female characters. Jubilee is no slouch but because she isn't 200% tougher and smarter than her male counterparts, she's nothing. She's always being compared to Kitty who had the benefit of being developed by the guy I blame most for this current climate. He can say what he wants about equality but when a female has to be infinitely more qualified than Wolverine to get the same job as him, how can you call that equality? Nevertheless, Jubilee is a capable fighter, an Olympic level gymnast, and her mutant powers weren't omega level but they were close. But of course since that hasn't been beaten into our brains and she's been written as an actual person rather than some kind of heavenly prodigy, nobody knows or cares.

#17 Posted by Squares (8024 posts) - - Show Bio

Marrow is awful and I can't stand her. Boom-boom is cool, I guess. Dead-girl I know nothing about.

#18 Posted by abaldo (567 posts) - - Show Bio
MEGGAN IS SO UNDERRATED

#19 Edited by adamTRMM (1931 posts) - - Show Bio

If Magneto will "reunite" his Acolytes, it would be fun if he'll summon only kick-ass underrated female team-exes like Unuscione, Frenzy, Tempo, Skids, Skein, in addition to Sage, Lifeguard and Outlaw. It would be totally 2013! (actually It would be 2014, but you know what I mean) If it happens, I'll even forgive the absence of Exodus. :)

#20 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1273 posts) - - Show Bio

@skypilotbinky: I agree with everything you said, especially Skin. People fail to understand that none of the Generation X members at the time were that powerful because they were supposed to be training. However, they did occasionally show improvements in their powers. Skin on more than one occasion make a weapon out of his Skin and even was shown to be more resilient due to his skin being denser than a normal persons. Skin was awesome.

I think Blob was under rated, after the 80s he was featured as a kind of joke, lackey character, I mean at one point recently he showed and a group of untrained young mutant kids beat him. Before that though, since his inception he was always a pretty credible threat, he was more of a counter point to Colossus than Juggernaut ever was. He also went up against the Hulk and was even able to wail on some powerhouse Avengers when Freedom Force battled them. Not that he has outstanding victories over any of the heroes I just named but he once was not as useless as they have made him over the past two decades.

#21 Edited by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (3872 posts) - - Show Bio

@abaldo said:
MEGGAN IS SO UNDERRATED

Meggan and CB need to come back ....lol

#22 Posted by JEdThing (173 posts) - - Show Bio

Rockslide. I only see him in the background of Wolverine and the X-Men...

#23 Posted by McKlayn (1100 posts) - - Show Bio

Chamber, Skin, Jubes are all under rated :D

I loved me some Gen X lol

#24 Posted by papad1992 (6833 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by papad1992 (6833 posts) - - Show Bio

Mirage

I wouldn't say Dani Moonstar is underrated. Just not used in the right places/books.

#27 Posted by abaldo (567 posts) - - Show Bio

@abaldo said:
MEGGAN IS SO UNDERRATED

Meggan and CB need to come back ....lol

oh my god, i know right. thought i was the only one...

#28 Posted by papad1992 (6833 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by papad1992 (6833 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: ''Wields a psychic arrow and strikes you down!''

Me :''Summons* WINDS RISE UP PROTECT ME! TORNADO APPEARS TO STRIKE HER DOWN"

"Runs away now!"

Oook... anyways... now that we've established your insanity, we can move on.

#32 Edited by papad1992 (6833 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: Hey you started with me, believe anything you want. Have a nice day (:

Ook now I really don't know what's going on!? Started how?

#33 Posted by boschePG (2604 posts) - - Show Bio

@hexthis:

Firestar, Madison Jeffries, Forge, Banshee, Amanda Sefton, Vanguard

#34 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (3872 posts) - - Show Bio

@boschepg said:

@hexthis:

Firestar, Madison Jeffries, Forge, Banshee, Amanda Sefton, Vanguard

i thought amanda was dead??? poor banshee he needs to come back to life, i mean emma doesnt even bring him up but emma brought up nightcrawler after he died!!!!! at least firestar is making a come back by being in amazing x-men. i dont like the amazing part in the title of amazig z-men, it worked for spiderman not x-men. What happened to astonishing x-men?????

#35 Edited by HexThis (915 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh! I forgot one. Omega Sentinel, she recently re-appeared but I feel like no one ever thinks to use her and it's a shame. You don't get to see very many Indian characters in comics and I always felt like her being a former cop and a female one at that in India would be interesting to look into. I loved how Chris Bachalo illustrated her too...

#36 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4902 posts) - - Show Bio

Skin

I always see Skin on the most useless mutants lists and can't help but disagree with them. Skin's, um, skin should be able to do things similar to what Carnage does with his symbiote powers. He should be able to make weapons out of his hands, spikes come out of his body etc. He should also be able to crawl up walls by molding his skin around the surface of the walls and he should be able to glide through the air by stretching the skin under his arms. Skin should be able to do many things with his powers but unfortunately the people that make these lists have very limited imaginations.

Sunspot

Sunspot is certainly a mutant who never gets his due. He can absorb solar energy to get superhuman strength, durability, stamina, speed, agility, reflexes, regeneration, flight, solar/fire/light/electricity manipulation. energy generation etc. Does any of that sound familiar? He might not be able to go toe to toe with Sups but I don't understand the people who say he doesn't belong on the Avengers.

Jubilee

I'm going to get a little ranty about this one so heads up...

Jubilee represents a time before the current generation of faux girl power, tough for the sake of being tough female characters. Jubilee is no slouch but because she isn't 200% tougher and smarter than her male counterparts, she's nothing. She's always being compared to Kitty who had the benefit of being developed by the guy I blame most for this current climate. He can say what he wants about equality but when a female has to be infinitely more qualified than Wolverine to get the same job as him, how can you call that equality? Nevertheless, Jubilee is a capable fighter, an Olympic level gymnast, and her mutant powers weren't omega level but they were close. But of course since that hasn't been beaten into our brains and she's been written as an actual person rather than some kind of heavenly prodigy, nobody knows or cares.

I care :v

all three of these guys were favorites of mine growing up, so I'm glad to see there's still some appreciation for them out there.

#37 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed. Similar to Matter-Eater Lad, if his powers mean he can literally "eat" anything, well, there are quite a few applications to that.

#38 Posted by Squares (8024 posts) - - Show Bio

@abaldo: She IS underrated. She's an empathic metamorph, and some sort of quasi-elemental; she can be really powerful in the right settings.

#39 Posted by JROCK72 (412 posts) - - Show Bio

Just as mentions; Diamond Lil, Slipstream, and Gosamyr.

#40 Posted by darthphoenix (873 posts) - - Show Bio

megan -very powerful mutant

#41 Posted by abaldo (567 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares:

@squares said:

@abaldo: She IS underrated. She's an empathic metamorph, and some sort of quasi-elemental; she can be really powerful in the right settings.

i know

#42 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1273 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrock72 said:

Gosamyr.

What!? Seriously??

#43 Posted by Koays (2645 posts) - - Show Bio

SURGE!
She has electric powers, super speed, blue hair. Plus she needs to balance leadership skills with a bad attitude and her powers need to be held back and regulated by gauntlets or she risks them going out of control. She's almost like Cyclops and Wolverine's electric Asian love child. COME ON! She led a team of students after M-Day against threats that included Bastion and Predator X....USE HER!

#44 Posted by fisheypixels (82 posts) - - Show Bio

Beak. Barnell Bohusk. He was so underrated even though he was one of the more courageous X-Men I've seen. Sure he can't do much, and pretty much just looks weird. But some of the best heroes are those without powers. He had no substantial powers, but what he lacked in brawn, he gained in leadership. So Beak is my pick.

And I know he is one of the bigger characters, but I don't think Beast really gets enough credit.

#45 Edited by LP (675 posts) - - Show Bio

Nocturne

From the old Exiles books. Yes she was a female Nightcrawler but she was fun! One of the few mutants that enjoyed having their powers and none of the catholic guilt.

#46 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4902 posts) - - Show Bio

@lp said:

Nocturne

From the old Exiles books. Yes she was a female Nightcrawler but she was fun! One of the few mutants that enjoyed having their powers and none of the catholic guilt.

Nightcrawler is fun!

#47 Posted by MASTER_OF_SUPRISE (722 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm probably not in the Majority but I feel Stacy X was very underrated.

#48 Edited by HAWK2916 (2005 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say pretty much all the New Mutants, generation X, Academy X/New Xmen have been underused. Also Rachel Grey. Sage and now Frenzy are just out there in limbo. Also Lifeguard though Im not sure how many really like her.

#49 Edited by Squares (8024 posts) - - Show Bio

I never liked Marrow, every time I've seen her in a comic she's been an utter jerk to everyone.

#50 Posted by Avenger85 (1988 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.