Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Uncanny X-Men Series Ends in October

• 171 results
    Avatar image for iron_fist_angel
    Iron Fist Angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Iron Fist Angel

As someone who has been collecting Uncanny since about 1983 I have to say this is really lame. We all know it will be back in some form but that doesn't make this decision any less moronic.

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By CellphoneGirl

At least Fraction won't be touching it anymore.. lol

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By zombietag

man this is going to seem a lot crazier after all the DC hype dies down

-Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By -Eclipse-
    @Shieldbearer said:
    As others have said before, this is just a ploy to get people reinterested in the X-Men after declining sales. Remember when Captain America died, then all of a sudden people were interested in the character again? Same thing here, Marvel is just playing off the "you don't know what you truly have until its lost" concept and it will most assuredly come back retitling the newest incarnation of what is after Uncanny X-Men.  I am feeling some serious mid to late '90s feeling here with the X-Men slump.

That would make sense if they didn't have two other ongoing titles in which to tell X-Men stories, lol
    redmanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By redmanta
    @doordoor123 said:
    Great way to get more Marvel fans into the DC relaunch.
    exactly
    umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 20

#56  Edited By umbrafeline

i was always interested in the xmen namely kitty. if they bring it back they should label it volume 2 and continue the numbering from 544. if they dont bring it back and just keep the inferior xmen book they will receive a letter from me expressing my anger over this. damn jag-offs
    Mumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Mumbles

it wouldn't be the marvel way if they didn't end they're longest series also.gonna not be one up'd from DC!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Legacy and X-force are the far superior titles these days anyway.
    xmanaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By xmanaker
    @Samimista
    Amen to that Samimista!!
    zzax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By zzax

Dear comic book publishers, 

Stop 

Yours truly, 

Comic book fans

TheRyanHimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By TheRyanHimself

X-Men in general is my favorite comic franchise, yet I don't see why everyone is so upset. We still have X-Men, Astonishing X-Men, and X-Men Legacy to read. Do we really NEED four titles about Emma, Magneto, Wolverine and Cyclops like we pretty much have right now anyway? Hopefully this will help narrow their scope and write more focused stories.

MrFantastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By MrFantastic

Just effing stupid.  Uncanny X-men has been in the top 20 titles for years.  Don't they understand how changing the name effs up my storage inventory system?

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#63  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

I was actually going to start picking this book up but I guess I'm a little too late to the party.

Ult_Scorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Ult_Scorn
    @SC said:
    As long as Greg Land starts tracing Fassbender as Magneto, my cornflakes shall not be pissed in. 
    LOL.
    Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Amegashita
    @NXH said:
    Couldnt care less
    frogjitsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#66  Edited By frogjitsu

Why cancel this long running series?  They have many spin offs, so why not just cancel on of those and move creative teams around?  Did we really need a new adjective-less X-men?  Sad to see one of the first comics I subscribed to canceled.  Sad day indeed.  The only good news is that I'll be saving money, because I practically read all the other X-titles as well.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#67  Edited By Trodorne
    @SC said:
    This is your fault G-Man. Marvel must have read your comment about X-Men being sexist and now all books with X-Men in it must be cancelled and renamed with no references to gender!  =p Plus now like the cartoon, the relaunched X-Book will be Wolverine and the X-Men and Uncanny First Class. =p
    LOL
    The Hobgoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#68  Edited By The Hobgoblin

I just wanted to point out that Chris Claremont didn't write Giant Size X-Men #1.  

Len Wein did. He also co-created the mutants who appeared in that issue, including Wolverine from his earlier Incredible Hulk appearances.
    buffalostyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By buffalostyle
    @-Eclipse- said:

Wow. Ending such an iconic series with Greg Land doing the cover and interior. 

Never mind, they'll just rename X-Men as 'Uncanny X-Men' and add up the total number of issues of those series combined and rename the adjectiveless one as 'Uncanny' in time for #500. 

I just don't get it, this is like cancelling Batman and keeping all the other Bat-titles going.

Agreed...this is a ridiculous way to drum up interest for a once-proud title. I've been reading Uncanny on and off (mostly on) for 30+ years and I must say that this bit of news REALLY bothers me. Over the past ten  years or so, we have seen the "X-franchise" lose most of it's luster. This was due, mostly, to the creative teams and their willingness to try to add their own flair to the title instead of  writing to the strength of the title...the characters. All too often, we see characters that we grew up reading about do the most uncharacteristic things...all for shock value...with no explanation. This "ending" is a shame because Gillen is writing Uncanny extremely well right now. The characters are recognizable which is something that I haven't been able to say for a while. The Fraction experiment was a disaster but I recognize that it didn't begin there... this travesty began with Casey (ugh) in the late 300's and continued with Austen (double-ugh) in the early 400's...by the time Claremont got the title again, I barely recognized "Uncanny"...

What Marvel is doing by "ending" Uncanny X-Men seems to be an "obvious" plan to stir up interest. The problem with it is that people like me, collector's who have stuck around through the bad times for continuity's sake, could get fed up once and for all...you don't take one of your cornerstone franchises and give it the ultimate brush-off. This is a title that you cultivate and make darn sure that it, if nothing else, survives. Period.  How are you going to have "X-titles" without there being an "Uncanny X-Men"? The original? Unconscionable decision...

Of course, if they could do it to Spider-Man, Marvel can do it to the X-Men too. It's times like this that I wish for  Stan Lee to return to Marvel Comics...(sigh)
    lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#70  Edited By lorex

This just seems stupid to cancel the flagship X-Men title after so long. Yes I know the quality has not been as good as some other X titles but coming out of the Schism and whatever that entails there is no need to cancel the title. In my opinion this is probable a move to decrease confusion on the fans part with Uncanny being in the title of 2 books, or at least that's the excuse Marvel/ X-Men editors will tell themselves. Personally I think they should drop the Uncanny from X-Force( it does not need it) and maybe focus a little more editorial/creative attention to Uncanny X-Men to make it more compelling and interesting for the fans.

The idea that restarting titles provides fans a good jumping on point because some of the long running titles which number in the hundreds can be intimidating to the fans. I went through that myself many years ago and you know what I did,  I went to a comic store browsed some current titles, found some characters I liked and started reading those books. If I wanted to know more about the characters past I got back issues and trades. Later I looked up information online as it became available. The notion that a book with a big #1 on it will allow fans to jump on, well I think that is a huge load of crap! Any fan baring the really young readers, with half a brain knows these characters have been around for decades and that there are many more stories about these characters out there.

spideybigtime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 4

#71  Edited By spideybigtime

Is Marvel copying DC by trying to relaunch everything? First, there was Fantastic Four, then Incredible Hulks, also the Ultimate Universe series, and now Uncanny X-men?!?

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#72  Edited By leokearon

Can it also be Greg Land's final issue? 

Avatar image for illyanarasputin
    IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#73  Edited By IllyanaRasputin
    @mohawkmoose12: LOL aw! 
    moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#74  Edited By moviegeek17

so when does the the new number one issue come out? i want to say this is a joke but i'm just waiting for it to happen

webofthornns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By webofthornns

I'm hoping when they do 'relaunch' X-Men, that it will be clear cut team like it used to be instead of a nation of mutants.
    Ahmed Sherif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#76  Edited By Ahmed Sherif

The comic was staring to get boring, nothing that intresting happened ever since second coming.
    Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Shadow_Thief

Well, nothing lasts forever, and given how different today's X-Men are from the original (or even second) incarnation of the team, it's not terribly surprising. Always bittersweet to see a classic pass, though.

Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#78  Edited By Sobe Cin

Here is what needs to happen as a result of the Cancellation of Uncanny X-Men.

Astonishing X-Men: Line Up: Storm, Beast, Kitty, Colossus, Lockheed, Gentle and Forge (return him from the ether.)

X-Men Legacy: Keep it as is. I like the direction.  Line up: Rogue, Magneto, Legion, Frenzy, Gambit and Professor X.

New Mutants: Keep it as is. Line Up: Cannonball, Dani Moonstar, Sunspot, Magma, Cypher, Karma, Magik & Warlock.  

Hope: Follow Hope Summers and the Five Lights. 

Uncanny X-Force: Line Up: Wolverine, Psylocke, Archangel, Deadpool and Fantomex.   

X-Factor: Jamie Madrox, Siryn, M, Strong Guy, Longshot, Wolfsbane, Rictor and Shatterstar

Generation X: Hellion, Pixie, Mercury, Surge, Prodigy, Rockslide, Anole, Dust, Stepford Cuckoos, Indra, Trance, Greymalkin, Match, Blindfold.  Edit: X-23 into Generation X.

X-Treme X-Men: Mutants on the Run: (From Adjectiveless X-Men)Cyclops, Emma Frost, Armor, Thunderbird, Lifeguard, Chamber and Red Lotus. 

Dr. Nemesis and the X-Club: Dr. Nemesis, Kavita Rao, Madison Jeffries.

Edit: Supernatural X:  Darwin, Jubilee, Seth Walker (Magic useer from Nightcrawler #4), Imp, Keratin (Characters from New X-Men Vol. 1- 126) and Eosimias (New X-Men 123)

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By HexThis

It's the last issue of Uncanny and they still have Greg Land illustrating it?  He's an awful artist, hardly anyone likes him, if this means anything he shouldn't illustrate a thing.

roboticjesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By roboticjesus

I love the X-men but after taking a hiatus from comics after the mid 90's and not getting back into things until 5 years ago, I just cant get into the X-Men. Just too much has happened in the time I missed that it just feels completely different than what I knew, its hard to get a good grasp on continuity.

I know comics are mostly about big events within a family of titles and even in an entire publishers Universe, but I feel like Marvel does it a lot more than DC and the Universe. This isnt necessarily a bad thing, but You cant just pick up the core TPB for an event and get a good grasp on what has gone on in past events. I have noticed with Marvel titles, it takes 3 or 4 event related TPB's to get the full picture.

Going to pick up all Schism related titles and all Uncanny issues till the end and see if I can get back into the X-Men again.

jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By jubilee042
    @Sobe Cin: wheres jubilee she is back and x 23
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By danhimself
    No Caption Provided
    Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#83  Edited By Samimista

It's ashame really how different the comic industry is now instead looking at sales they should start listening to what the fan's have to say.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#84  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @NeNePooTat said:
    Depressing.
    waruikumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#85  Edited By waruikumo

How about it's been absolute garbage the last 2 years. 

Its so sad to see the current state of "X"-dom, after what morrison, and even whedon did within the last decade. 

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

i personally don't care for momentous moments, some are sad that Action comics won't make it to 1000, not me, some are mad that Superman just made it to 700 and is getting cancelled, i dont care, numbers don't really matter to me, if anything, it's good news, its meaning we will get MORE x men titles!! 

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#87  Edited By xerox_kitty

@nick7913 said:

Also, about Gillen's quote:
    "The X-Men has always been a book with ideology and ideas at its heart, and to be fair to them — to best present them — you have to be entirely true," Gillen said. "And if the story we're telling demands that you end the 'Uncanny X-Men,' you end the 'Uncanny X-Men.' No, it's not taken lightly — but it's taken if it's necessary to do it."

This is what annoys me. There's a brand spanking new film you, this is the chance to pick up new readers... and instead you get a writer who says "Sorry, I wrote it in such a way that we had to cancel the book". No, the editorial team made a decision to pull the title, and you happen to be writing the story that destroys the flagship title of one of (if not) the most popular comic book franchises of all time.

Within the last 7 years, the X-Men have been disbanded twice: once when Jean Grey sacrificed herself to stop "Xorneto", and once when Cable disappeared with baby Hope into the future, leaving Bishop to shoot Professor X in the head. After surviving the disbanding of the X-Men so many times in recent history, there is nothing storywise that would justify cancelling a team book.

This is the same tactic they've played with the Fantastic Four. Kill a character, cancel the title, start a new title... and in a few years rename & renumber the series back to a landmark issue of the original series (ie Uncanny X-Men #450). Mark my words, Amazing Spider-Man will be next... or the Avengers (yet again).

This is as permanent as death in comic books... And that's not to be taken seriously in an industry where the "Phoenix" refuses to stay dead.

EmmaGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By EmmaGrace

Is it just Uncanny X-Men, or will there be no more X-Men comics?

x_lover1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By x_lover1

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beatrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Beatrix

WHY?! WOULD YOU GIVE THIS TO GREG LAND??? 

Beatrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Beatrix

Also (apologies for the double post) it has been (and Generation Hope) a train wreck with Keiron Gillen so far, really should have got us some Grant Morrison again. Sigh, those were the good days.

Avatar image for iron_fist_angel
    Iron Fist Angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Iron Fist Angel
    @HexThis said:
    It's the last issue of Uncanny and they still have Greg Land illustrating it?  He's an awful artist, hardly anyone likes him, if this means anything he shouldn't illustrate a thing.

If Greg Land drew nothing but pin-ups of female comic characters I'd be happy. I think he's actually a great artist but his style is not suited for action-packed superhero comics at all.
    TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#93  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @yeopop said:
    I wonder why.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#94  Edited By xerox_kitty

@Beatrix said:

it has been (and Generation Hope) a train wreck with Keiron Gillen so far

Or "The Margarine Of Fraction" as I like to call him ;)

Beatrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Beatrix
    @xerox-kitty said:

@Beatrix said:

it has been (and Generation Hope) a train wreck with Keiron Gillen so far

Or "The Margarine Of Fraction" as I like to call him ;)

Love it! Does that make Greg Land the Soggy Bread underneath though? o_O
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By pixelized

@Beatrix said:

WHY?! WOULD YOU GIVE THIS TO GREG LAND???

That's what I said! How does he get to do the last issue to the most important X-Title?

Greg Land has some amazing connections.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

It is sad that it is ending. 

xmanaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By xmanaker

I'm starting an online petition to NOT end Uncanny....I know it's silly and it more than likely won't do a bit of good, but I believe people should have a voice, regardless...stand for something or you'll fall for anything, right??  is there any way to post the website for the petition?  I mean..i don't want to post something on here and get blocked from the forums for it or anything...is there a legit, non-offensive to comic vine way to do that?  just curious!

Avatar image for journey_into_chaos
    Journey Into Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

:(
    Jiraiya1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Jiraiya1313

I Just got into comics and the first series I started to collect was Uncanny X-Men from the point one issue and now they're doing this! argh! i have the worst luck

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.