Uncanny X-Men or Wolverine and the X-Men

• 51 results
#1 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9740 posts) - - Show Bio

Which #1 did you like more? 
I personally liked Uncanny more. I picked up both of them knowing that I was going to go with Uncanny X-Men no matter what but i was still open to Wolverine changing my mind and adding itself to my pull list. It didnt do that. The issue just seemed......I dont know......It just didnt hold my interest enough for me to spend 4 dollars a month on it. However, with Uncanny, you get right to the action and suspense and they have a great villain going for them, unlike Krokoa and a brat. You also get some nice dialogue and it kind of looks like Gillen will be developing these character more. 
Also,Greg Land is no longer the artist!

#2 Posted by Lonestar88 (170 posts) - - Show Bio

I think most people just made up their mind before ever reading either issue.  Schism caused a deeper philosophical divide than I anticipated.

Also Greg Land's (Unfortunately) back on Uncanny by issue 5, I believe. He's splitting the duties.

#3 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Uncanny better as well. For me it was the art. Wolverine and the X-Men looked so sloppy and all over the place.

#4 Posted by Edgeworth_11 (4656 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly enjoyed both. But I am more hyped about Cyclops' team. I love the direction Gillen is taking us and the mission statement. It's so epic and new. Love it. I loved how Cyclops punked out the Avengers too. XD

#5 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
Wolverine and the X-Men for me. Much more fun overall, even though Uncanny features Magneto, who is one of my favourite characters. I agree that the artwork in Uncanny was superior, but I know Bachalo by now so I was expecting his art to look like that, and even enjoyed it at times.

As for Cyclops punking the Avengers, meh. I didn't see any punking, just Cyke trying much too hard to convince everyone, including himself, that they are up to it.
#6 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

going with uncanny. was such a good read and had all the characters that interest me.

#7 Posted by Lonestar88 (170 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, I go with WATXM, it was more fun to me and has all of my favorite characters. I also love Bachalo's art, it has personality, but I get that it's an acquired taste.

#8 Posted by NightwalkerRevan (123 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I'll still need to look over Uncanny X-Men (and I like how it looks like they'll be treating Storm) but I really enjoyed Wolverine and the X-Men. And it has what I've been missing from the X-Men for years in spades, overall I both like it's direction and just really enjoy it. That and Cyke seems to be developing a a perchance for pontificating self-importantness to go along with his more recent D-bag like bahaviour that getting to close to super-villainy Maggie style behaviour. So I'll look at that issue (for Storm and a few others if nothing else), but I'm still down for the Wolverine and the X-Men direction. I also hope we won't necessarily need to get both sides of the Schism to follow the titles we are interested in as readers.

#9 Edited by time (5029 posts) - - Show Bio

Base on the first issue :

The artwork was better in Uncanny X-Men, but the story in Wolverine and X-Men was better. Personally I like X-Men, with Storm, Domino, Psylocke, Warpath, Jubilee and Colossus. I think this title will be better then both Cyclops comic and Wolverine comic, it was more interesting. I like the X-Men title.

#10 Posted by victoriancuckoo (228 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Wolverine better because it felt a little bit more like a fresh direction.

#11 Posted by Shamelesslysupportinaznballers (553 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Uncanny more but that's because i'm more into the super hero stuff and it does not seem right that they wussified Wolverine. He should be standing side by side with Namor, Colossus, Magneto kicking some @$$ instead of being the head of some school fighting off some kids both inside & outside the classroom.

#12 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9740 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lonestar88:  
Yeah, maybe.....I know I at least had bias going into this but I really was open to pick up WatXM too. 
I also love Bachalo's art. Its fresh and fun. And please please tell me that youre lying! Greg Land is not coming back Uncanny! He is not!!!! 

@Edgeworth_11 said:

I honestly enjoyed both. But I am more hyped about Cyclops' team. I love the direction Gillen is taking us and the mission statement. It's so epic and new. Love it. I loved how Cyclops punked out the Avengers too. XD

Most definitely. This extinction team is very interesting. 
And I loled at he Avengers part too
#13 Posted by Edgeworth_11 (4656 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000 said:

@Lonestar88:
Yeah, maybe.....I know I at least had bias going into this but I really was open to pick up WatXM too.
I also love Bachalo's art. Its fresh and fun. And please please tell me that youre lying! Greg Land is not coming back Uncanny! He is not!!!!

@Edgeworth_11 said:

Most definitely. This extinction team is very interesting. And I loled at he Avengers part too

Yes, it is a classic moment. I wish I could see Steve Rogers face when Scott said that XD

#14 Posted by madrid_san (1805 posts) - - Show Bio

I also liked when Cyke dissed avengers. "what chance do they have?" :) Sinister was as amaZing as the Extinction team. They need powerful, interesting and over the top (eg HUGE Sinister celestial head) adversaries. Off to a perfect start IMO Buttersdaman did you see the "things to come" page? That was Greg Land. I didn't recognize at first glance but it's him and don't worry. Under Gillen's guidance, he looks to be pretty awesome. :)

#15 Posted by Lonestar88 (170 posts) - - Show Bio
@buttersdaman000 said:
@Lonestar88:  
 And please please tell me that youre lying! Greg Land is not coming back Uncanny! He is not!!!! 

I wish it weren't true but....

#16 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lonestar88 said:

@buttersdaman000 said:
@Lonestar88:
And please please tell me that youre lying! Greg Land is not coming back Uncanny! He is not!!!!

It doesn't look.....too bad...>.>

#17 Posted by Edgeworth_11 (4656 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lonestar88 said:

@buttersdaman000 said:
@Lonestar88:

WOw, gotta say, looks quite amazing!!

#18 Posted by Shamelesslysupportinaznballers (553 posts) - - Show Bio

@Edgeworth_11 said:

@Lonestar88 said:

@buttersdaman000 said:
@Lonestar88:

It;s always nice when Land discovers some new poses and expressions but you'll get sick of it once you see the same thing every other panel.

#19 Posted by Edgeworth_11 (4656 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shamelesslysupportinaznballers said:

@Edgeworth_11 said:

@Lonestar88 said:

@buttersdaman000 said:
@Lonestar88:

It;s always nice when Land discovers some new poses and expressions but you'll get sick of it once you see the same thing every other panel.

true, but he has been stepping his game up in recent times, exactly when Gillen took over.

#20 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9740 posts) - - Show Bio

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 
Why does Marvel let an artist like him continue on??? 
Now I wont be able to tell the difference between Emma and Magik...........at least Hope has red hair....

#21 Posted by madrid_san (1805 posts) - - Show Bio

Give Land a chance. Give him credit on Fear Itself and last issue. Those were pretty bad ass especially when Piotr first donned the cyttorak armor.

#22 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine and The X-Men.

#23 Posted by Edgeworth_11 (4656 posts) - - Show Bio

@madrid_san said:

Give Land a chance. Give him credit on Fear Itself and last issue. Those were pretty bad ass especially when Piotr first donned the cyttorak armor.

Ya, he is using more references and new poses these days. :)

#24 Posted by shol (129 posts) - - Show Bio

Uncanny X-Men not only has several of my favorite characters and an awesome creative team (Gillen & Pacheco), it also left me craving for more after I finished reading the first issue. Unfortunately, the first issue of Wolverine & The X-Men left me uninterested. I doubt I'll be back for any of its other issues.

#25 Posted by stambo42 (159 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked both, though I think there is more narrative potential right now in Uncanny... even though I'm somewhat uncomfortable with Sinister being this forward. It's not like him... it doesn't feel right for the character. Loved Scott's open letter at the end, probably my favorite part of the whole book. I just hope the run can live up the potential of the themes it's put out there and the roster it has assembled.

Folks who call Bachalo sloppy next to Pacheco are missing something. His faces/ figures are often lifeless, his face proportions oddly amiss and inconsistent, and sometimes their planes are even off! The pages are open and washed out, without any real definition... though perhaps it would be better to fault the inker and colorist for this. Bachalo's forms are solid, and his lines intentional. If you're put off by the more mannered aspects of Bachalo, and prefer a degree of naturalism, Will Conrad over in X-men #20 is delivering the goods... hell, he even goes so far as to draw Betsy with legitimately Japanese features.

#26 Edited by NightwalkerRevan (123 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine & the X-Men (it's got pretty much all the key things I really enjoy about X-Men specifically which Uncanny doesn't have so much). Might look to getting X-Men though, it has Storm, Betts, Domino and Jubilee (all characters I like allot), and the writers seem to be bring Storm back as a character in force.

#27 Posted by Markall (174 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Uncanny X-Men more

#28 Posted by luckydomino1 (491 posts) - - Show Bio

im with the yellow side but i will im not gonna buys scotts comic i may read some of them in the store

#29 Posted by chiq (1966 posts) - - Show Bio

Both are great and very different...still prefer the uncanny side, but i'm getting both.

#30 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

Preferred WATXM, but really enjoyed Uncanny, actually.

#31 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

Uncanny X-Men: Better story, writing, and characters.

Wolverine and the X-Men: Better art.

#32 Posted by Lifeguard (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Uncanny X-Men. Thank you Marvel.

#33 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't dislike the storyline over in Uncanny, but I feel like W&tXM is taking more chances with the status quo and the change in art is most welcome.

#34 Posted by Edgeworth_11 (4656 posts) - - Show Bio

@chiq said:

Both are great and very different...still prefer the uncanny side, but i'm getting both.

It's time to get a new avatar :)

#35 Posted by chiq (1966 posts) - - Show Bio

@Edgeworth_11: haha having a hardtime picking

#36 Posted by God_Spawn (37907 posts) - - Show Bio

Uncanny for me.

#37 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

I don't dislike the storyline over in Uncanny, but I feel like W&tXM is taking more chances with the status quo and the change in art is most welcome.

#38 Posted by EnSabahNurX (2317 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked wolverine more just because uncanny was so "dark" in tone(not in a way i like either) and the whole team is villains except for storm and magik. Also is was too political, it came off so much like a dictator's regime making plans to deal with humanity, butt the art was really good.

I still really enjoyed both titles but wolverine and the x-men just felt like a fresh start uncanny felt like the brotherhood of evil mutants vs sinister XD

#39 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

Aside from Emma, Scott and Erik, all of my favourite X-characters are in WATXM.

#40 Posted by IllyanaRasputin (1116 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed Uncanny a bit more. I just feel like Wolverine and the X-Men is going to centre around well Wolverine and I'm not really a huge Wolverine fan whatsoever. Although I like that Kitty Pryde is an administrator at the new institute I just feel like it's still going to circle around Wolverine. If anything they should try and circle it around the students again, because I'm pretty sure the New X-Men Academy X & Childhood's End would be far for me be one of the most interesting and fun readings I've read.

Saying all of that if WATXM goes towards that direction I might change sides, but it likely won't and will just revolve around Wolverine and him trying to cope with being an authority figure now. That being said I enjoyed the Uncanny X-Men comic because it brought a sense of familiarity a dark angle as well and I love the team also who can go wrong with Namor Emma Magik Colossus Cyclops Danger and Magneto? :P

#41 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

i liked more W&TXM. uncanny felt soo much like a dc comic. cocky & douchy. the whole team. DOUCHEMETER 1000000000000000. and namor's comment for the chair WTF??. W&TXM has a fresh direction and looks much more fun and interesting.

#42 Posted by MetropolisKid41 (515 posts) - - Show Bio

I really enjoyed both, I am more of a wolverine fan than cyclops fan, I find cyclops boring and douchey, not bashing on him for those who like the character, I know he's a fan favorite, he's just always rubbed me the wrong way. But I really enjoyed Uncanny X-MEN, a little more so than Wolverine & The X-MEN. Mr. Sinister is my favorite X-villain so maybe that's why, but I'm also intrigued on how the events surrounding the Cyclops/Storm kiss (that was teased months back) and the Namor/Emma kiss that was teased in the "What's to come" splash page, will pan out. Both will be on my pull list and I will get them both at least 12 issues before I cut them.

#43 Posted by chiq (1966 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion said:

i liked more W&TXM. uncanny felt soo much like a dc comic. cocky & douchy. the whole team. DOUCHEMETER 1000000000000000. and namor's comment for the chair WTF??. W&TXM has a fresh direction and looks much more fun and interesting.

that's the beauty about uncanny for me...douchemeter 10000000 indeed, and you know things are going to blow up in Scott's face eventually. You want a light fun vibe WTXM. You want darker more epic stories go uncanny. I feel though that the major direction of the x-men's future will be decided in uncanny since it is the more serious of the two, and all the big time x-men foes will probably appear more in uncanny. I love WTXM too but i just fear, as time goes on some plots might feel a bit too light. (hopefully not though) Uncanny just seems to have more gravitas.

The two books have great synergy in my opinion, they both go to the extremes of what being an x-man is all about (a school training young mutants and big time super hero action) and with more books more characters have the spotlight. So while i didn't enjoy schism all that much, the outcome was great.

#44 Posted by Ryonslaught (1247 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed Uncanny a whole lot more than WATX

BUT

Found X-men with Storm the best of the bunch!

#45 Posted by TheOptimist (713 posts) - - Show Bio

WATX for me. While Uncanny had art much more to my standard taste, I enjoyed the characters of WATX, and I really am not at all enthused by Sinister. I'll stick with both for the time being, but there were plenty of gems to be found in WATX while UXM was a tad more standard fare for me.

#46 Posted by rpgr (331 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm on Cyclops side but as a read, I liked Wolverine and the X-men more. Better read IMO. Gonna pick-up both until one or the other inevitably loses direction and becomes boring again (biggest problem with any x-men book is that they eventually get boring because not everyone is a Morrison or Whedon and they eventually de-evolve the characters into their worst sterotypes).

#47 Posted by Aero_gt (840 posts) - - Show Bio

From the Blue Team, Uncanny x-men only, on the Gold Team, X-men Legacy maybe.

#48 Posted by Iron_Lad (315 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine and the X-Men by far! Uncanny X-Men just seems like the same old X-Men stories we've been reading for the past 5 years. A new direction is needed. Anyway I think there are more interesting folks over at Jean Grey's school and I'm rather getting tired of the ones that have stayed on Utopia, Cyclops, Storm, Namor, Emm Frost etc etc etc...

#49 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the start to Uncanny more but I have a feeling WatX just had a slower start.

#50 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9073 posts) - - Show Bio

I have been liking Wolverine and the X-men a lot more than Uncannly X-men. I guess because a lot of my favorite characters are in the series like Wolverine and Kitty Pryde. I also like that they are going back to their roots in the series but with a twist. You know there is going to be a twist with this series because Wolverine is the headmaster. I am excited to see what happens with this series and future storylines to come.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.