Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13415 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Ultimate X-Men 7 Discussion *SPOILERS*

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Onemoreposter

So I'm conflicted. I've been enjoying Ultimate comics. I like the direction the Ultimates and X-Men have been going in for sure (dropped Spidey after the ish where he *battles* electro). I also liked how death seemed to be more permanent in the UM. Apparently it's not. First Wanda came back, then Xavier in issue 6, and now Magnus. Do you guys think it's really them? I'm kinda hoping it's Mags and Wanda are in Pietro's head and he's just batshit crazy. That would explain the role reversal between his father and sister with Wanda now being cold and controlling and Magnus being seemingly loving and accepting. Xavier I'm hoping is just an impostor. If the Scarlet Witch is indeed the Scarlet Witch do you think the massacre caused by the Nimrods will be her equivalent to 616 M-Day?

Also, Wanda looking sexy as all hell back in her Ultimates uniform (which I preferred to begin with).

odysseyuwrf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By odysseyuwrf

I don't think it's any of them. They died. Pretty sure there is no coming back from a snapped spine and being completely ripped to pieces. If they killed Parker, and keep him dead, there is no reason to bring those three back. Unless this is the prelude to some sort of Ultimate Onslaught storyline. It could also be an Ultimate Apocalypse deal. He was from Egypt. He may be manipulating everything. Maybe we'll see the Ultimate equivalent of AoA. Plus, you are really missing out on Ultimate Spiderman.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By John Valentine

I reckon it's Apocalypse.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Onemoreposter

They did Ultimate Apocalypse/ Ultimate AoA already at the tail end of the original Ultimate X-men run . Was a pretty good story but Apocalypse's actual appearance was pretty brief and his defeat very deus ex machina. There wasn't much elaboration on the character either. He could very well have just been a part of sinister's mind. However, Ultimate marvel does seem to be in the habit of making multiple ultimate versions of 616 characters and retconning the ones they don't like (Ultimate Iron Man 1 and 2, Ultimate Team Up).

@odysseyuwrf: I'll give spidey another look in a few issues.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By John Valentine

@Onemoreposter said:

They did Ultimate Apocalypse/ Ultimate AoA already at the tail end of the original Ultimate X-men run . Was a pretty good story but Apocalypse's actual appearance was pretty brief and his defeat very deus ex machina. There wasn't much elaboration on the character either. He could very well have just been a part of sinister's mind. However, Ultimate marvel does seem to be in the habit of making multiple ultimate versions of 616 characters and retconning the ones they don't like (Ultimate Iron Man 1 and 2, Ultimate Team Up).

@odysseyuwrf: I'll give spidey another look in a few issues.

That whole Cable/Apocalypse story was okay, but after the first 40/50 issues of Ultimate X-Men Vol.1 I think that it got kind of average.

What is Apocalypse, though? Is he/it a being, or a title? Current 616 Marvel seems to suggest that it's more of a title. There have been other Apocalypses in the past. After En Sabah Nur's demise, Archangel became the new Apocalypse. Or, maybe, as you suggested, the Apocalypse Sinister saw was a figure of his mind.

Also, the attack of Sentinels in 1610 seems like the Ultimate Universe's version of The Decimation.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kidchipotle

I hope it's really them. They need to atone for the mistake that is Ultimatum. The thing I liked about about the Ultimate Universe was that if you die, you STAY dead. It gives room for more characters to be created such as the new spiderman and Logan's son, Jimmy. However, I would really like to see the people who died return. There are so little characters left in the Ultimate Universe, they need to revive their top guns. X-men, as enjoyable as it is, is way to apocalyptical and it seems like they're just going to die out. If Xavier, Logan, and/or Scott return they can lead the team and prosper. Parker can stay dead for a bit longer, as much as a I love Ultimate Parker, I want Miles to develop a bit more before they decide to do anything drastic. If it ends up being Ultimate Apocalypse, I'm going to be very upset for having my hopes raised and crushed. It happens to me enough in reality, I read to comics to escape that feeling!!!!!!!

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Onemoreposter

@John Valentine said:

Also, the attack of Sentinels in 1610 seems like the Ultimate Universe's version of The Decimation.

Agreed. I think we'll have to wait a couple issues to know for sure though. The attack seemed limited to the US and we may come to find that only a few hundred (maybe less) mutants got wiped out but at the moment I think they are going to make it the Ultimate M-Day. Also I agree that UXM wasn't as good at the end as at the beginning. I think a major factor in this was that the *awe* had sort of burned out of the UM. It wasn't new and shiny anymore. I wan't to say Magnetic North was the last really bang up story arch from UXM. This isn't to say I didn't enjoy the entire series. Also, I'm not really up on my 616 Apocalypse. My knowledge goes as far as AoA and his appearance in Messiah War. UM has a great deal of liberty with these characters though, so I wouldn't be surprised one bit if they made a new Apocalypse who wasn't En Sabah Nur.

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

The thing I liked about about the Ultimate Universe was that if you die, you STAY dead. However, I would really like to see the people who died return.

You realize your second statement directly contradicts the first one right?

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By John Valentine

@Onemoreposter said:

Also I agree that UXM wasn't as good at the end as at the beginning. I think a major factor in this was that the *awe* had sort of burned out of the UM. It wasn't new and shiny anymore. I wan't to say Magnetic North was the last really bang up story arch from UXM. This isn't to say I didn't enjoy the entire series.

Due to the fact that mutations are caused by drug/compound exposure, Banshee serum or whatever, I think there will be fewer mutants in 1680. I'm sure the smaller number of deaths, as well as the sense that mutants are rather isolated and unconnected, will make the Sentinel attack all the more devastating.

Yep, Magnetic North was the last story I remember being especially good. I'd say the series peaked around the time of "Return of the King" and "Ultimate War".

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kidchipotle

@Onemoreposter said:

@John Valentine said:

Agreed. I think we'll have to wait a couple issues to know for sure though. The attack seemed limited to the US and we may come to find that only a few hundred (maybe less) mutants got wiped out but at the moment I think they are going to make it the Ultimate M-Day. Also I agree that UXM wasn't as good at the end as at the beginning. I think a major factor in this was that the *awe* had sort of burned out of the UM. It wasn't new and shiny anymore. I wan't to say Magnetic North was the last really bang up story arch from UXM. This isn't to say I didn't enjoy the entire series. Also, I'm not really up on my 616 Apocalypse. My knowledge goes as far as AoA and his appearance in Messiah War. UM has a great deal of liberty with these characters though, so I wouldn't be surprised one bit if they made a new Apocalypse who wasn't En Sabah Nur.

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

The thing I liked about about the Ultimate Universe was that if you die, you STAY dead. However, I would really like to see the people who died return.

You realize your second statement directly contradicts the first one right?

You realize you completely cut out the entire paragraph I wrote that explains those two statements, right? Exactly, buddy.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Onemoreposter

@John Valentine: I imagine the 1610 mutant population is spread out closer to 616 than you think. In 616 we didn't really see any mutants coming out of the wood works till the 60s right? That date might even be moved up since Marvel is on a sliding timeline. Namor is considered "the first mutant" in 616 because he was the first one anyone really new about and that was in the late 30's/ early 40. Well ultimate Logan I see as filling the same role as Namor did, being the (this time literal) first mutant to become active sometime during WWII. How exactly the mutanagen spread isn't known to us yet. What we do know is that mutants exists globally (Colossus, Nightcrawler, ect.) and that all of them seem to have their powers innately with the exception of Wolverine. You can't attribute the creation of individual mutants to the American government because as shown in UXM they are unaware of who's a mutant or not, at least until you go and sign up with the X-Men or the Brotherhood. Ultimate Marvel has a lot of explaining to do. I really hope they didn't just make mutants man made only to sweep this subplot under the carpet before we get a proper explanation for how it actually worked, *sigh* but we'll see what happens.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.