Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

This is why I cannot wait to get Bendis out of X-Men

• 101 results
    Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@veitha said:

@time said:

@veitha said:

damn, why the hell is he still on these titles! He. doesn't. care.

He just doesn't care about the characters, the continuity, the same plot, he's destroying an universe because all he can think about is a joke. He is a giant joke and he's turned the X-Men into one of the worst things in Marvel because of this. Just get him out of here. What good thing did he do the X-Franchise? He brought back Jean Grey? Well anyone could have done that especially with such a shitty plotline. Then he started his destruction of the X-Men and it wont end soon.

I'm so upset(if you haven't noticed).

calm down @veitha. it's not that bad.

it's not just the Katya thing, it's everything else. I had such big hopes for his run, with all the possibilities left by Gillen and AvX he could have written one hell of a run and instead he just writes stupid stories with no actual reason.

Gladiator wants to kill Jean Grey, even if he's known and met her adult self also after the Phoenix events. No reason.

Dark Beast hates Scott. Why? No reason.

Beast brings back the O5 and they cannot go back. Why? No in-character reason.

Jean Grey develops a new power. Why? No reason and no sense for the actual power. She can absorb psionic energy? What does that mean, every telepath can manipulate psionic energies! Psi-bolts!

Characters act as if they've never met each other, too. The Cuckoos stayed for a lot of time with Adult Jean Grey, they even liked her! He also changed their personalities...

Emma Frost is now a wallpaper-ish character with a good issue evert 15, Magik is a bus and Magneto had to leave his book to get some good time. Have you noticed that the best versions of his characters are from other characters? Magneto, Teen Cyclops, in their own titles they're written better than his titles.

And Xavier married Mistique with no reason. Truly with no reason. And the "dark past" stuff? Like if it was the first time! We've seen obscure Xavier so many times that it's not appealing anymore. I guess he doesn't know. Has he ever read any X-related comic'??

Oh and Dazzler. Damn. I don't have to say anything about her, right?

Yes. And I was a Bendis fan from his work on other titles, but I've been dropping regular reading of Marvel titles since he came on board. There's no value in having knowledge of continuity if he blatantly ignores prior history and common sense.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Lateralus

@squares said:

@lateralus: Wait, Magik and Dormammu? Holy crap, I gotta see this.

No Caption Provided

This was back in UXM 5 and 6

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Lateralus

@squares said:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@lateralus: Ohhh man, I am reading the CRAP out of that.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But yeah, anyone who thinks Magik has been relegated to being a Magik School Bus obviously hasn't been reading UXM. Through the first 20 issues she has really been the star of the show....sadly though she has largely disappeared the last 4 or 5 issues...but expect that is just because of plot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5baa5ef93cf0f
    deactivated-5baa5ef93cf0f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a pretty tiny mistake. I like Bendis. The way he writes X-23 may be completely different from how she has been in everything before All New X-Men and absolutely terrible, but he makes up for it with everything else.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Jay_Alam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think Bendis is that bad. Otherwise, you wouldn't be talking about him ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jay_alam said:

I don't think Bendis is that bad. Otherwise, you wouldn't be talking about him ;)

That's fallacious logic.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#60  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

I like... no LOVE Bendis' X-Men! SHOOT ME!!! In fact, those are the only X books that are readable to me right now.

And that's just a small mistake. I don't know why so many long time X-Men readers are so hard on Bendis. They try to find the tiniest mistakes and just nitpick it to death.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Bendis stinks because he works on too many books as well as a television show. Cyclops has apparently been trying to have a revolution for two years and virtually nothing has happened. The Doppleganger X-men have shown up and nothing has happened. Battle of the Atom was an incredibly slow paced event with one of the most inexplicable endings written in years. The Will (which I haven't read) was supposedly going to be an incendiary event to make Charles look bad...turned into him giving a child a normal life? He altered peoples minds all the damn time in the movies as well as the comicverse. The Trial of Jean Grey was pretty lame as well. It was a rehashing of Jean's history. Who gives a poop? 'Course we have a completely original idea with the Trial of Hank McCoy coming up.

I was never a fan of Jason Aaron, but we at least had two different writing styles between himself and Gillen. Putting the two biggest books behind one guy has stagnated the franchise in my opinion.

Plus the sales have been slipping as well. Uncanny wasn't even in the top 30 and All New barely stayed in the Top 20. I'd like some change.

Avatar image for asthecrowflies4
    asthecrowflies4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#62  Edited By asthecrowflies4

@veitha Completely agree with your assessment of Bendis. The franchise feels like a slow motion train wreck since he came on board, for a variety of reasons. Even Fraction wasn't this bad, in my opinion. He at least had some redeeming bits to offset his run. I think until Bendis is gone, I may just stick with the solo books we have at the moment to keep my frustration level at a minimum. A couple of them at least capture the essence of the X-Men characters we know and love, and we get Claremont's X-Men in a limited way through supporting cast.

If I had to pinpoint a single thing about BMB that bugs me more than all others, it's lack of respect. He expects it himself but refuses to give it. He has a massive lack of respect not only for the established characters he writes and the fans that buy the books but also for the writers who've come before him (and the history they've created), as well as the writers who have to work with him now. He seems to want his stuff to be all that counts and writes with a sandbox mentality. I think this works in a situation of writing in the Ultimate U and certainly from the perspective of a creator owned title, but that's simply not the case with the X-Men.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
    TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@dman1366:

Power to the X-Men fans, then :D

- TAS

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rickbarry: Agreed. I think he's writing 4 books and overseeing the Cyclops and Starlord stuff. He's all over the place and books are suffering for it. I enjoy the Uncanny run for how interesting it is but it's very slow and whatever excuse their was for All New went out the window after 3 straight arcs with little in the way of plot.

Sometimes the books read like he writes everything including the events at the same time and doesn't take a look at the series as a whole.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By JakeN7

@squares said:

@lateralus: Ohhh man, I am reading the CRAP out of that.

That little arc was fun. Probably my favorite part of Uncanny before I dropped it about 10 issues in. I really have to be in the right space to enjoy Frazier Irving's art, but he did a great job in those issues, and overall he's starting to grow on me.

And yes, you do get to see Illyana break out Darkchilde.

No Caption Provided

I kind of want that as a poster...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But yeah, anyone who thinks Magik has been relegated to being a Magik School Bus obviously hasn't been reading UXM. Through the first 20 issues she has really been the star of the show....sadly though she has largely disappeared the last 4 or 5 issues...but expect that is just because of plot.

its magik bus

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dman1366:

invent a time machine and go back when he first started with house of m and ulimate x-men,lol. ask beast to help you.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: eh, but knowing beast I will get stuck there for some unexplainable reason though. Unlike the O5, I would miss my family and friends here.

StarWatcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture:

@lateralus said:

its magik bus

I laughed way more than I should have at this.

Avatar image for moonlighterstone
    Moonlighterstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh Bendis lol

Evaghoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dman1366 said:

@hopesummersforthefuture: eh, but knowing beast I will get stuck there for some unexplainable reason though. Unlike the O5, I would miss my family and friends here.

Aww <3

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

@lateralus said:

its magik bus

its true magik said it herself in uncanny x-men 3(ill try to get the scan for it)

Azalae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Bendis is famous.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Lateralus

@dman1366 said:

Aww <3

@lateralus said:

its magik bus

its true magik said it herself in uncanny x-men 3(ill try to get the scan for it)

No Caption Provided

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dman1366 said:

Aww <3

@lateralus said:

its magik bus

No Caption Provided

Thanks @lateralus :)

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

No Caption Provided

Is that the issue also where Dormammu got low-balled to hell by Cyclops?

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I actually like Bendis. I think he is a cool writer and love the funny way he gets the characters to interact.

He seems to be hated on most comic board, but normally adored as a writer by others.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lateralus said:

@squares said:

No Caption Provided

Is that the issue also where Dormammu got low-balled to hell by Cyclops?

Dormammu made 2 appearences. The first time Magik smacked him around solo (in Darkchilde persona) is what is shown above, the second is with the other X-Men where Cyke blasts the hell out of him.

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Jmarshmallow
    No Caption Provided

Jmarshmallow

StarWatcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By StarWatcher

Man I really need to re-read the beginning of this Uncanny X-men run, I totally forgot about that magicbus joke.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vandersexxx: Yeah. I remember hearing about that. He hurt Dormammu. Lolz.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I may have been a bit rude against him in my previous comment/list, but I still think that.

Bendis is the typical writer who's got ideas but who gets lost in them. Look at his Avengers run, it was gold at the beginning, it became complete s*it in the end. The same it's happening with ANXM and UXM. They started very well(he gave space to every character at the beginning of his series, from Emma to Magik to Angel to Scott), but after the first what - 10 issues? - he started ruining everything and turning every story into complete garbage. What he's doing currently is often non-sense or just a "WOW" thing with no reason at all(Dark Beast, Mystique marrying Xavier) and now he's just running circles in his ANXM run. I'm so sure that he doesn't know what to do with the O5 lol sending them into the Ultimate Universe is just a way for him to go for an easy writing with characters he knows and with a lot of teens(that he can write, except for Laura I'mnotthesameanymore Kinney). The worst part of this is that he doesn't care about characters and even makes fun of X-fans thinking that we're real life Big Bang Theory characters. And the worst thing is that with a little effort he could write well! Look at HOM! One of the best Emmas in a big events!

Frozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agree. I also cannot wait to to get Bendis (not just out of xm but) out of Marvel industry lol.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozon said:

Agree. I also cannot wait to to get Bendis (not just out of xm but) out of Marvel industry lol.

hes trying to out beat chris claremont's run so he can be the longest x-men writer.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Frozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Frozon

@frozon said:

hes trying to out beat chris claremont's run so he can be the longest x-men writer.

Even if he out beat Claremont he will never be like him. And Chris is still the best lol.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozon said:

@frozon said:

Even if he out beat Claremont he will never be like him. And Chris is still the best lol.

:)

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This is a little relevant, but I just came across Bendis' choice for favourite Claremont book (in celebration of 75 years of Marvel) and he chose Avenger Annual #10 because:

AVENGERS ANNUAL #10 Brian Michael Bendis (writer, UNCANNY X-MEN, ALL-NEW X-MEN): “I’m going to cheat a little and talk about my absolute favorite Marvel Comic: AVENGERS ANNUAL #10. It’s not an UNCANNY X-MEN issue by Chris, but it is a Marvel comic by Chris that came out during what I consider to be his X-Men heyday, and is very influenced by events and goings-on in in the X-Men. This issue saw the first appearance of one of the most popular mutants he ever created or co-created: Rogue. It saw the reinvention and reconstituted Brotherhood of Evil Mutants—versus the Avengers. It saw Ms. Marvel—Captain Marvel—Carol Danvers making her return after being sent away in such terrible form in AVENGERS #200. In fact, what I like about this comic is that it pretty much has one writer—Claremont—yelling at another writer for their treatment of a character in the body of the work. I have never seen anything like that before. Carol would soon become a mainstay fixture in UNCANNY X-MEN [starting in UNCANNY X-MEN #162] as she tried to rediscover herself. All this and it’s the best issue starring Spider-Woman ever made, and it’s one of the best illustrated superhero comics of that era—and I think of all time."

I had to giggle. Just want it known that I do like Bendis as a writer. ALIAS will always be a favourite of mine, and so will his writing of Daredevil (for the most part).

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I would also love for him to get off Guardians of the Galaxy as well.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't want him off X-Men. Uncanny has been the best X title in years.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would also love for him to get off Guardians of the Galaxy as well.

amen. Where are all the cool Guardians? Cosmo, Moondragon, Warlock, Mantis, Phyla(maybe she's dead lol), Quasar, Jack Flag, Bugg, Major Victory. And where are the good stories? His current run has no actual plot, it's just them shooting aliens, while with DnA we had such great stories and ideas.

He just erased them without any reason, as when he brought back Starlord and Drak without giving a reason and just now thinking about it.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: which means people care about the topic on some degree. Which would mean you are what? Incorrect? Wrong? Misinformed? I could push for a more enduring term for your ignorance, but I am slightly less "petty" than that.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Outside_85

@dman1366 said:

@outside_85: which means people care about the topic on some degree. Which would mean you are what? Incorrect? Wrong? Misinformed? I could push for a more enduring term for your ignorance, but I am slightly less "petty" than that.

You are the guy that re-posted a piece where some guy with some incredibly tiny shoes complains about something completely insignificant to everyone who doesn't speak Russian or German and have a deep seated belief in needing to correct other people.

You're right, you're not petty, you're much worse. Find something better to whine about.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Not to really rub it in your face, even though I am enjoying it fully, I was actually complaining about the fact that Bendis has zero regard to continuity; When he was called out on it, he simply insulted the fan, and simultaneously stated that he did not care about canon character interaction. So I guess that is FOUR things that I am "whining" about, plus your lack of perception, or interest, makes FIVE. Plus, how would you know he has incredibly tiny shoes?

4U2NV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By 4U2NV

Who cares about Bendis (who ever the hell he is)? If ya don't like this writer then stop buying his comics. It's the only way he will retreat from Marvel LMAO.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dman1366 said:

@outside_85: Not to really rub it in your face, even though I am enjoying it fully, I was actually complaining about the fact that Bendis has zero regard to continuity; When he was called out on it, he simply insulted the fan, and simultaneously stated that he did not care about canon character interaction. So I guess that is FOUR things that I am "whining" about, plus your lack of perception, or interest, makes FIVE. Plus, how would you know he has incredibly tiny shoes?

It has nothing to do with continuity when its about him not knowing the difference between a German phrase and it's Russian counterpart.

Same way I know you do.

numi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dman1366 said:

It has nothing to do with continuity when its about him not knowing the difference between a German phrase and it's Russian counterpart.

Same way I know you do.

Sorry, I have to say that he DOES know the difference and did it intentionally. The guys really hates Colossus and has been in the process of character assassination for quite some time.

BMB - Colossus

and I agree completely with @asthecrowflies4 when they said

If I had to pinpoint a single thing about BMB that bugs me more than all others, it's lack of respect. He expects it himself but refuses to give it. He has a massive lack of respect not only for the established characters he writes and the fans that buy the books but also for the writers who've come before him (and the history they've created), as well as the writers who have to work with him now. He seems to want his stuff to be all that counts and writes with a sandbox mentality. I think this works in a situation of writing in the Ultimate U and certainly from the perspective of a creator owned title, but that's simply not the case with the X-Men.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.