Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

This is why I cannot wait to get Bendis out of X-Men

• 101 results
    Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Dman1366

This just perfectly shows how BMB doesn't give a shit about character depth or continuity. Shame on all those who are supporting his books.

http://brianmichaelbendis.tumblr.com/post/96639172177/brian-nice-kitty-kurt-reunion-if-not-for-the-katya

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

y'know, I didn't even catch that.

Kitty and Nightcrawler have been my favorite X-men for more than 20 years and I didn't even notice that.

shame on me, I guess, for liking the story anyway.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Shame on me..........cause I'll continue supporting and reading

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: i don't care that he made a mistake, we all do. I am just upset that he, clearly, could care less. If he doesn't care, then why bother writing it in to begin with? Why not leave nightcrawler out? It's just like his writing on iceman. He clearly doesn't like him, but why write him out of character just to show how much you don't like him? Just seems petty.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dman1366 said:

@oldnightcrawler: i don't care that he made a mistake, we all do. I am just upset that he, clearly, could care less. If he doesn't care, then why bother writing it in to begin with? Why not leave nightcrawler out? It's just like his writing on iceman. He clearly doesn't like him, but why write him out of character just to show how much you don't like him? Just seems petty.

Well, it's not like it would really make sense for Nightcrawler or Iceman not to be in this story, so there's that.

But I didn't see anything out of character about the way he wrote either character anyway. I cant even tell if he likes Iceman or not, because there wasn't anything he had Iceman say or do that didn't seem like something else I've seen the character do in other stories. Everyone has a slightly different idea of the characters, and that includes the writers.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: How does it make sense? It's not like they are directly involved, from http://xmen-supreme.blogspot.ca/2014_09_01_archive.html, it's not like they play an integral part. Also, from that article, how is iceman joking about xaviers death "in character"?

Don't take anything I say aggressively, I just feel like the X-Men have seriously gone down hill since Marvel Now, with Bendis leading the helm. I mean, how do you go from stories like Fall of the Mutants, God Loves Man Kills, Inferno, Excalibur, hell even Second Coming to the stories being pushed out now?

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dman1366
    Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dman1366 said:

@theamazingimmortalman: I am surprised you found this post from your house on the hill

I didn't, I was taking a stroll down the block and walked past it :)

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That just seems like a miniscule complaint to me, which was probably even more or less an oversight.

Stay classy, comic fans.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Djainess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Djainess

Every writer makes mistakes once in a while. Big deal. Doesn't make me like the story any less.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By dernman

@cattlebattle said:

That just seems like a miniscule complaint to me, which was probably even more or less an oversight.

Stay classy, comic fans.

Agreed especially when there are so many other things to complain about.....

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

damn, why the hell is he still on these titles! He. doesn't. care.

He just doesn't care about the characters, the continuity, the same plot, he's destroying an universe because all he can think about is a joke. He is a giant joke and he's turned the X-Men into one of the worst things in Marvel because of this. Just get him out of here. What good thing did he do the X-Franchise? He brought back Jean Grey? Well anyone could have done that especially with such a shitty plotline. Then he started his destruction of the X-Men and it wont end soon.

I'm so upset(if you haven't noticed).

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I cant wait to Bendis away from the Xmen either but I have to say there's far more to complain about with him than this. I did wonder why that greeting felt a bit odd but I was probably far more aggravated by Storm's continual pettiness, the silly inclusion of Doop and Krakoa's all over the place just for example. In addition to this the continual attempt to assassinate Xavier's character as well as many other things has me more concerned about the current run than a grammar issue. But I do get your point about the overall cavalier and careless attitude this guy displays. The only hope I have is that with this new mission we get an end to the silly Schism or at least a better balance to the teams as its always been hard to believe that everyone would follow Cyclops with no question to Utopia and everywhere else but now only Magik, Emma and Dazzler (I guess this is bringing in Ultimate Dazzler now)

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Veitha

@djainess said:

Every writer makes mistakes once in a while. Big deal. Doesn't make me like the story any less.

the problem is that this isn't the first time and this isn't the first continuity error he's made. Other than PIS and crazy power levels, he's kept making mistakes and he's kept ignoring previous stories. And he doesn't care, other than writing stupid stories that lack originality and whose ending is always terrible.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

@veitha said:

He just doesn't care about the characters, the continuity, the same plot, he's destroying an universe because all he can think about is a joke. He is a giant joke and he's turned the X-Men into one of the worst things in Marvel because of this. Just get him out of here. What good thing did he do the X-Franchise? He brought back Jean Grey? Well anyone could have done that especially with such a shitty plotline. Then he started his destruction of the X-Men and it wont end soon.

calm down @veitha. it's not that bad.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Veitha

@time said:

@veitha said:

it's not just the Katya thing, it's everything else. I had such big hopes for his run, with all the possibilities left by Gillen and AvX he could have written one hell of a run and instead he just writes stupid stories with no actual reason.

Gladiator wants to kill Jean Grey, even if he's known and met her adult self also after the Phoenix events. No reason.

Dark Beast hates Scott. Why? No reason.

Beast brings back the O5 and they cannot go back. Why? No in-character reason.

Jean Grey develops a new power. Why? No reason and no sense for the actual power. She can absorb psionic energy? What does that mean, every telepath can manipulate psionic energies! Psi-bolts!

Characters act as if they've never met each other, too. The Cuckoos stayed for a lot of time with Adult Jean Grey, they even liked her! He also changed their personalities...

Emma Frost is now a wallpaper-ish character with a good issue evert 15, Magik is a bus and Magneto had to leave his book to get some good time. Have you noticed that the best versions of his characters are from other characters? Magneto, Teen Cyclops, in their own titles they're written better than his titles.

And Xavier married Mistique with no reason. Truly with no reason. And the "dark past" stuff? Like if it was the first time! We've seen obscure Xavier so many times that it's not appealing anymore. I guess he doesn't know. Has he ever read any X-related comic'??

Oh and Dazzler. Damn. I don't have to say anything about her, right?

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By time1

@veitha said:

@time said:

@veitha said:

it's not just the Katya thing, it's everything else. I had such big hopes for his run, with all the possibilities left by Gillen and AvX he could have written one hell of a run and instead he just writes stupid stories with no actual reason.

Gladiator wants to kill Jean Grey, even if he's known and met her adult self also after the Phoenix events. No reason.

Jean Grey develops a new power. Why? No reason and no sense for the actual power. She can absorb psionic energy? What does that mean, every telepath can manipulate psionic energies! Psi-bolts!

Characters act as if they've never met each other, too. The Cuckoos stayed for a lot of time with Adult Jean Grey, they even liked her! He also changed their personalities...

Emma Frost is now a wallpaper-ish character with a good issue evert 15, Magik is a bus and Magneto had to leave his book to get some good time. Have you noticed that the best versions of his characters are from other characters? Magneto, Teen Cyclops, in their own titles they're written better than his titles.

And Xavier married Mistique with no reason. Truly with no reason. And the "dark past" stuff? Like if it was the first time! We've seen obscure Xavier so many times that it's not appealing anymore. I guess he doesn't know. Has he ever read any X-related comic'??

I have to admit some of the things Bendis has done, hasn't been good.

I also believe each writer views the characters in there own way. I mean how bad was Matt Fraction Emma Frost.

I like what happen to teen Jean Grey. I think Bendis is trying to do different things with her character. There only 2 things I didn't like and that was Emma and Jean laughing and there no real moments between Rachel and Jean.

Emma, I think had some good moments last year, but Bendis doesn't care for her character.

I think the Bendis focuses on Charles relationship with Mystique, cause of the X-Men movies.

I like what going on with Dazzler.

I have enjoy Uncanny X-Men and All-New X-Men so far. I mean I hated Uncanny X-Men for 6 years. I couldn't stand Fraction and Gillian run.

I understand why some people don't like Bendis writing, but Iike it.

I think Gladiator wants to kill Jean Grey, cause he fears what she might do.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time said:

@veitha said:

@time said:

@veitha said:

I also believe each writer views the characters in there own way. I mean how bad was Matt Fraction Emma Frost.

I like what happen to teen Jean Grey. I think Bendis is trying to do different things with her character. There only 2 things I didn't like and that was Emma and Jean laughing and there no real moments between Rachel and Jean.

Emma, I think had some good moments last year, but Bendis doesn't care for her character.

I think the Bendis focuses on Charles relationship with Mystique, cause of the X-Men movies.

I have enjoy Uncanny X-Men and All-New X-Men so far. I mean I hated Uncanny X-Men for 6 years. I couldn't stand Fraction and Gillian run.

I understand why some people don't like Bendis writting, but Iike it.

I do not hate Jean Grey, but I hate how Bendis is pushing her despite of other characters(not only Emma, but also the rest of the O5), she's turning into a Mary Sue character.

Dazzler has been kidnapped by Arcade so many times, has risked her life so many times, and now she goes for such a drastic change? Just now? He just wants to turn her into Ultimate Dazzler, because he's better with teenagers and Ultimate-ish characters(that's why he brought back the O5 with no actual reason).

The fact that he wants to create a relationship between Xavier and Raven because of the movies is one of the worst things ever. Like Nick Fury Jr.

Matt Fraction's Emma wasn't good but at least not wallpaper-ish or completely useless or a completely different character(but do you know what makes me angry? I could write her if he wanted! Look at HOM or Dark Reign!). I liked Gillen's run.

As for Gladiator, with all the times he's met Jean or Rachel he shouldn't be that afraid of her and know how to deal with her. And also being part of an alien culture who's vastly more smart than ours, he should know that she's a different person than Adult Jean.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overreaction? You bet.

Beata

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By time1

@veitha said:

@time said:

@veitha said:

@time said:

@veitha said:

I understand why some people don't like Bendis writting, but Iike it.

I do not hate Jean Grey, but I hate how Bendis is pushing her despite of other characters(not only Emma, but also the rest of the O5), she's turning into a Mary Sue character.

Dazzler has been kidnapped by Arcade so many times, has risked her life so many times, and now she goes for such a drastic change? Just now? He just wants to turn her into Ultimate Dazzler, because he's better with teenagers and Ultimate-ish characters(that's why he brought back the O5 with no actual reason).

The fact that he wants to create a relationship between Xavier and Raven because of the movies is one of the worst things ever. Like Nick Fury Jr.

Matt Fraction's Emma wasn't good but at least not wallpaper-ish or completely useless or a completely different character(but do you know what makes me angry? I could write her if he wanted! Look at HOM or Dark Reign!). I liked Gillen's run.

As for Gladiator, with all the times he's met Jean or Rachel he shouldn't be that afraid of her and know how to deal with her. And also being part of an alien culture who's vastly more smart than ours, he should know that she's a different person than Adult Jean.

I'm not suprised Bendis is focusing all his attention on Jean. I also think it's quite interesting Teen Jean trying to change her future and deal with her other future selfs. Just imagine, you travelling to your future and realizes your future is terrible. Wouldn't you want to change it. I think Marvel is trying to do that with both Teen Jean and Teen Scott. Which makes it very interesting.

I'm glad the real Dazzler is getting some development. She angry and pissed off and she wants some revenge. I think it's good.

I think the Mystique and Xavier thing, is kind of suprised.

Matt Fraction turn Emma Frost into a sex toy and nothing more. Emma just lived in Cyclops shadows. I also think Emma follow in the same footsteps as Jean grey over the last couple of years. She had the same kind of development as Jean. Marvel just need to move Emma away from Scott and then we will see some positive development for her character.

What Guardian remembers about future Jean, is her destroying a Galaxy and he feel teen Jean could do that in the future. That's part of the reason why he wanted to kill her.

Galerion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Galerion

If there is one thing I hate then it is taking established characters and changing them to your liking and ignoring the stuff that has been established.

Im a huge X-23 fan for example and read every appearance of her before All New X-men and must say that Im just disappointed by Bendis portrayal of her. She has a very specific way of behaving and talking like speaking in perfect english because of the way she was raised and she has trouble with the more social stuff and is in general a more no-nonsense and quite person.

Under Bendis she has just become some random teenager with a completely different voice who holds page filling dialogue, uses slang and goes on a date with Angel for like no reason without even knowing each other.

She also most have forgotten some skills since she can do that according to the official Marvel Wiki: "Due to her extensive training as a top-secret operative, X-23 is a master of multiple forms of martial arts, and is an expert in assassination techniques."

I haven't seen any display of this and her heightened senses under Bendis. Bull rushing Wolverine style is all I have seen.

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've enjoyed Bendis' work since he got out of Avengers and AvsX.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've enjoyed Bendis' work since he got out of Avengers and AvsX.

glad to see I'm not the only one.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like his work so far......da da da

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veitha said:

Can i get a copy of this autographed?

I like Uncanny but it's flaws are extremely jarring, not as bad as All New, but definitely a symptom of the same writers focus on shock value as opposed to attention to detail.

Also you forgot Beast getting a scolding from Uatu about destroying multiple futures and it never being brought up again.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@dman1366 said:

@oldnightcrawler: How does it make sense? It's not like they are directly involved, from http://xmen-supreme.blogspot.ca/2014_09_01_archive.html, it's not like they play an integral part. Also, from that article, how is iceman joking about xaviers death "in character"?

I didn't read it like he was joking, I guess. I read it like he made some "jokes", but is obviously actually really upset, which is classic Iceman to me. Did you read the issue?

Don't take anything I say aggressively, I just feel like the X-Men have seriously gone down hill since Marvel Now, with Bendis leading the helm. I mean, how do you go from stories like Fall of the Mutants, God Loves Man Kills, Inferno, Excalibur, hell even Second Coming to the stories being pushed out now?

or, from another way of looking at it, how do you go from classic stories like God Loves, Man Kills to crap stories like Fall of the Mutants? Bendis may not be any comparison to classic Claremont, but neither was Claremont, eventually. I may be in the minority, but to me X-men comics got worse in the late 80's and better again after Claremont left and Lobdell took over. And then worse again. And then better for a while. And then quite good again. And then worse again.

By the time Bendis took over, I don't think anyone since Brubaker had done anything especially good; the SF/Utopia era did nothing for me and Regenesis wasn't any better. But personally I've enjoyed most of Bendis' run (on Uncanny' anyway) more than anything since Whedon. Not as much as Whedon, mind you, but more than most runs in the last decade, so for me it's been on the up-swing since he took over :/

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It's what Avengers fans had to put up with for years and GOTG fans are also currently going through. Character personalities are changed at will to fit the story regardless of how they have been consistently shown in the past. Who cares that Wanda had come to terms with her children being gone long ago, lets make it so that she 'forgot' and now go crazy and cause the death of Avengers. Then you read his GOTG run after DnA's and you can't even tell they are the same characters. Many instances of that though. His Daredevil is one of my favorite runs though.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol! I would also want Bendis out of the GotG as well since he's constantly ruining Abnett and Lanning's continuity and his recent Guardians of the Galaxy #18 practically nullified the work of Abnett and Lanning in the Thanos Imperative. This guy needs to take a break.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cap10nate: I am not saying the man makes bad stories. His Ultimate Spiderman (vol 1) is one of the best series Marvel has. However, he just does not have the ability to follow continuity. His forte is in original characters, and he tries to make all the characters in the 616 universe seem like they were his ideas. Has everyone forgotten that the O5 was invented by Kirby and Lee?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By HAWK2916

Bendis is an idea guy like a consultant maybe even an editor. Some of his ideas are decent but the execution is lacking. He goes for the fluff and gimmicks. He just looks to put his stamp on things and change everything instead of giving at least a little attention to character interaction and continuity

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: i want classic scott back, not "on the run" cyke

I like outlaw Cyclops a bunch, but I'm pretty super into Cyclops' solo series, pretty much for that reason. I didn't really have any expectations of the series, based on the silly "All-new" premise, but it's actually been a really great series.

StarWatcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OH BIG DEAL. Not.

Maybe he just called her that way because it eventually became her nickname.

I like Bendis. No shame felt. He's modernizing stuff.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Lateralus
    No Caption Provided

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Night4345

OH BIG DEAL. Not.

No, it's what Colossus calls her no, one else does. Should Storm start calling her Half-Pint because Wolverine does?

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starwatcher said:

OH BIG DEAL. Not.

No, it's what Colossus calls her no, one else does. Should Storm start calling her Half-Pint because Wolverine does?

She should. Absolutely.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@dman1366 said:

This just perfectly shows how BMB doesn't give a shit about character depth or continuity. Shame on all those who are supporting his books.

http://brianmichaelbendis.tumblr.com/post/96639172177/brian-nice-kitty-kurt-reunion-if-not-for-the-katya

Yeah and btw- I believe Storm calls Kitty "Kittun" or something like that. I'm going to have to post a scan--

StarWatcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lateralus: if forgot that nobody cares... besides the 40 posts this has gotten in the last 24 hours

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I find it hilarious people would take a minor oversight and then try to connect it to character depth. Every writer and artist makes mistakes like this all the time.

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Malachi_Munroe
    Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This isn't one of Bendis' shining moments. As a long time X-Men fan who read most of the books dealing with them, having Kurt call Kitty "Katya" is a pretty big oversight. While it's far from catastrophic, I think it's a fair criticism of a writer many fans find disrespectful of previous characterisations of well loved heroes/villains.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By adamTRMM

@veitha said:

While I totally agree with everything here and MORE! for some reason I still feel bad for Bendis after reading this thread (*yeah I know, it's me who generally complains about him so what? I'm the sympatheticvillain of this story!*)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

I don't know. I mean, it's a pretty silly mistake for a writer to make, but I still have faith in him after how awesome parts of All-New X-Men were. I think we should be waiting and watching to see if he messes up worse before we start condemning him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veitha: Magik is a teleporter, being treated like transportation is the fate of every good teleporter. Just look at Cloak. At least she gets some character moments.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

@veitha: Magik is a teleporter, being treated like transportation is the fate of every good teleporter. Just look at Cloak. At least she gets some character moments.

Really through the first 20 issues of UXM, Magik got more character moments than anyone really. She had her ordeal with Dormammu, her training with Dr. Strange, soloing a group of power supressing sentinels, nice character moments with Emma, Kitty, Colossus (albeit future Colossus during BotA), and even the new mutants when they come to her because she is less scary than Emma is.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lateralus: Wait, Magik and Dormammu? Holy crap, I gotta see this.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.