Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Theory: Terrigen Mist Cloud will suppress X-Gene

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
    EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By EarthsMightiest

I’ve been putting some thought into the event that caused a conflict between Mutants and Inhumans that will occur in the eight months from the end of Secret Wars and the start of the all new Marvel Universe.

After reading the following November solicitation for All New X-men “Hated and feared more than ever, the world is a dangerous place for mutants. As the few remaining X-MEN retreat into seclusion”. I came up with the following theory:

Event: The Destruction of Attilan and the release of the Terrigen Mist Cloud

The event releases the cloud which continually circles the globe activating the dormant inhuman gene within the world’s populace.

Effect on Homo Superior aka Mutants

On first examination the Terrigen Cloud has little to no effect on current active mutants. However, after repeated exposures it becomes evident the cloud has some unforeseen side effects, primarily that it suppresses the mutant gene in inactive mutants or humans that have not yet come into their mutant gifts in effect keeping their powers turned off. Which results in:

Conflict: Current active mutants spearheaded by the X-Men attempts to neutralize the clouds effects on potential mutants which brings them into direct conflict with the Inhuman society.

Mutants lose the conflict to the Inhumans with the following results:

1. Current mutant population growth becomes stagnant rivaling the effects of M-Day

2. After failing with a radical solution to the Terrigen Mist current active Mutants are forced to retreat underground while being pursed and persecuted by the Human and Inhuman population. The Inhumans of course want to make sure they don’t try anything else.

3. Mutant scientist Hank McCoy joins the Inhumans (willing or maybe unwillingly) in an attempt to alter the cloud to prevent the mutant gene suppression effect while not altering its basic effects on potential Inhumans.

Regards all

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

this is an interesting theory

Avatar image for lordofallhumans
    LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wouldn't effects rivaling MDay just warrant the Phoenix coming back and burning the mist and its effects away? We already know it doesn't care for the idea of mutant stagnation.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Wouldn't effects rivaling MDay just warrant the Phoenix coming back and burning the mist and its effects away? We already know it doesn't care for the idea of mutant stagnation.

It did take its sweetass time to do help with M-Day... So yeah, in the end there might be another Event involving the Phoenix, but that might be in two or three years of publication.

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordofallhumans said:

It did take its sweetass time to do help with M-Day... So yeah, in the end there might be another Event involving the Phoenix, but that might be in two or three years of publication.

IMO probably not, thou Marvel does have a tendency to go to the Phoenix Well often when it comes to the mutants I would suspect this would be Hank's redemption for the O5 debacle.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@stahlflamme said:
    @lordofallhumans said:

IMO probably not, thou Marvel does have a tendency to go to the Phoenix Well often when it comes to the mutants I would suspect this would be Hank's redemption for the O5 debacle.

Oh, right Teen Jean. There IS gonna be a Phoenix event in the next two years.

Avatar image for lordofallhumans
    LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stahlflamme: not really it took it's time in our time, it started the process in Marvel time pretty quick though, with the birth of Hope and activation of the 5 lights. They were to be it's tools until all that other carp happened.

My point is the mutants have already dealt with something stopping evolution by messing with the xgene, and Phoenix is the answer to such a problem. Mday helped to establish the suckfest AVX and a bunch of other crap stories, makes no sense to do it again especially so soon. Not to mention an alternate reality already did the mists covering the Earth, leading to everyone on Earth having super powers.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just sounds like the Inhumans are taking the place of mutants, but MAN!!! Being a mutant would suck being persecuted by inhumans and humans makes you wanna go SuperVillain.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

@lordofallhumans: At this point, Marvel should at least make Inhumans and Mutants either make them having connection or just making the same thing.

Fun Fact: After Scarlet Witch said "No more Mutants", Quicksilver went to Attilian stole some Terrigen Crystals to help and gave all depower mutants, their powers.

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EarthsMightiest

@vitalius said:

Fun Fact: After Scarlet Witch said "No more Mutants", Quicksilver went to Attilian stole some Terrigen Crystals to help and gave all depower mutants, their powers.

Right, I vaguely recall that limited series, my theory can take this into account in that these mutants had already active power sets so the Terrigen Crystals in their pure form would have a different effect on mutants with already established powers opposed to the defused cloud suppressing not active mutants.

StSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, although the newly repowered mutants couldn't control their abilities.

They could do that- the terrigen mists cause spontaneous mutant awakenings, but their powers are uncontrolled, making mutants more dangerous than ever.

Anyway, if memory serves, Reed Richards has a cure for the terrigen mist, he used it to turn a bunch of humans who were turned into fishmen back to normal.

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stsword said:

Anyway, if memory serves, Reed Richards has a cure for the terrigen mist, he used it to turn a bunch of humans who were turned into fishmen back to normal.

Won't help, as you know Humans and Mutants are not the same species.

Anyway, IMO Reed is not going to make it out of SW, at least he wont be around for awhile.

StSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stsword said:

Anyway, IMO Reed is not going to make it out of SW, at least he wont be around for awhile.

Actually I don't know that because that's pure hogwash.

For one thing, you can tell by the fact that mutants and humans have reproduced numerous times. Wolverine has sired at least 7 kids off of women who can be assumed to be baseline humans.

Second of all, one or more altered genes on the X chromosome does not a new species make.

Thirdly, there are mutants among other subspecies of humanity- atlantean, eternal, and inhuman.

And since there is no classification below subspecies, and a mutant atlantean, eternal, or inhuman mutant would still possesses the characteristics of their subspecies, it can be argued that mutant doesn't even qualify as a subspecies, scientifically.

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EarthsMightiest

@stsword said:
    @earthsmightiest said:
    @stsword said:

Actually I don't know that because that's pure hogwash.

For one thing, you can tell by the fact that mutants and humans have reproduced numerous times. Wolverine has sired at least 7 kids off of women who can be assumed to be baseline humans.

Second of all, one or more altered genes on the X chromosome does not a new species make.

Thirdly, there are mutants among other subspecies of humanity- atlantean, eternal, and inhuman.

And since there is no classification below subspecies, and a mutant atlantean, eternal, or inhuman mutant would still possesses the characteristics of their subspecies, it can be argued that mutant doesn't even qualify as a subspecies, scientifically.

Welcome to the wonderful world of comic books were everything and anything is possible.

Mutants — also known as "homo superior" — are an offshoot sub-species of humanity who are born with genetic abnormalities which grants them abilities, an appearance, or powers beyond the normal variation expressed in the human genome.

http://marvel.com/universe/Mutants

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By william300

There probably going to build up to a X-MEN vs Inhumans story. Another plot to downgrade the X-MEN.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@stsword: That's actually a pretty interesting theory and would be more in line with what has happened in history.

The mist causing mutants to have uncontrollable powers and to be out of control would add to the anti-mutant thing making them more feared.

I just can't understand how humans wouldn't be upset and hating the inhumans seeing as how many have died as a result of the mist. I think people are assuming somewhat but rightfully so that Inhumans are taking mutants place as hated and feared. Its only logical in this instance

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#17 god_spawn  Moderator

No Caption Provided

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting take on the potential conflict. And i also like the idea that it activates mutant genes but makes them uncontrollable. Both solid premises i could get behind.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

r u going to stop it god spawn???????

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice theory and makes sense according to what we were given until. It has everything Marvel loves these days, messing with the fandoms, setting them apart and sabotaging the X-men/muties related comics again, all while promoting apparently precious Inhumans which they failed to achieve on their own (Inhuman sales were bad).

But I'm not sure I will follow another "Xtinction level creative impotence" crap. Marvel agendas become really tiresome and while it's not just mutants I love in this amazing universe, the treatment they receive speaks volumes for what kind of soulless machine controls the motion of this world of wonders, so the question is who's next?

Another plot device I already can't stand is that TM messing up with the X-gene. X-gene is such a jobber :( lmao

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

@vitalius: he didn't give them all back. Didn't several of them die or get sick or something?

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm.....

No Caption Provided

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

Nice theory and makes sense according to what we were given until. It has everything Marvel loves these days, messing with the fandoms, setting them apart and sabotaging the X-men/muties related comics again, all while promoting apparently precious Inhumans which they failed to achieve on their own (Inhuman sales were bad).

But I'm not sure I will follow another "Xtinction level creative impotence" crap. Marvel agendas become really tiresome and while it's not just mutants I love in this amazing universe, the treatment they receive speaks volumes for what kind of soulless machine controls the motion of this world of wonders, so the question is who's next?

Another plot device I already can't stand is that TM messing up with the X-gene. X-gene is such a jobber :( lmao

Preach.

Noctum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please don't even think that. Mutants will not be diminish, but it's an interesting theory.

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From my initial theory:

Conflict: Current active mutants spearheaded by the X-Men attempts to neutralize the clouds effects on potential mutants which brings them into direct conflict with the Inhuman society.

New Evidence:

No Caption Provided

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As to the conflict between Inhuman/Mutant

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.