Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

The Trial of Prof. Charles Francis Xavier

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Koays

Poll The Trial of Prof. Charles Francis Xavier (20 votes)

Innocent 20%
    Guilty 55%
    Mistrial 25%

Ok lets make this good:

Charles Xavier is the creator, mentor and often leader of the X-Men, which he founded in order to pursue his dream of Mutant and Human co-prosperity. In his time he has been viewed as a father figure of sorts to the team as a whole but it is his ideals and principles that are a motivation for mutants everywhere. The problem is that he doesn't exactly follow these principles himself.

Consider the charges to be:

- Abuse of authority
    - Failure as a leader of the X-Men
    - Extreme Recklessness
    - Use of mutant abilities for personal gain
    - Using the "Xavier Dream" as justification for unpardonable actions.

************************************************************************************************************************

Evidence to keep in mind

- The death of Vulcan's X-Men team
    - The mental manipulation of Cyclops
    - Coming to the defense of Magneto during his trial
    - The acceptance of Sabretooth into the school against the X-men's wishes
    - The Riot at Xavier's
    - Ignoring Danger's call for help
    (feel free to add more)

So the question is, Is Xavier Guilty of being the Anti-thesis of what he trained the X-Men to stand for....or is he justified in taking different paths and making questionable decisions because he was searching for a way to achieve Co-existence without a book to play by.

Mistrial for bias, lack of evidence, insanity, etc....

(Also any Xavier quotes on his dream would be welcome for reference)

• 
    Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sabretooth thing may have been Onslaught....a little fuzzy on the details

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

I voted innocent on Cyclops, because i am a believer of ends justify the means type guy, and i put the same thought process into this. Everything that charles did was for the greater good, hes innocent damn it!

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Charles xavier innocent??? No one is innocent, but i voted for mistrial because hes guilty of stuff but its hard to prove.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By oldnightcrawler

The death of Vulcan's X-Men team- Not Guilty. Unless he's guilty of forming the X-men in the first place. They had as much training as the first X-men had when they faced Magneto. I mean, Angel survived that place and he didn't have a fraction of the power of any member of Vulcan's team.

The mental manipulation of Cyclops - Guilty. Personally, I can't help but put this in the category of a white lie told to protect his son, but that still counts as an abuse of his power.

Coming to the defense of Magneto during his trial -Not Guilty. Magneto's trial was a step in the right direction both for mutant relations and for the rehabilitation of a mutant criminal, both of which he was right to advocate. Interesting how you put this, though, and not the fact that he left Magneto in charge of the school.

The acceptance of Sabretooth into the school against the X-men's wishes -Not Guilty. Xavier may have been overly idealistic in thinking he could reform Sabretooth the way he had Wolverine, Rogue, or Magneto, but all of them were admitted against the wishes of the other X-men as well. And though Sabretooth was arguably more of a threat, he was also a prisoner; and the school wasn't really a school at the time, so all of it's inhabitants were trained X-men who would actually have been in more danger if Sabretooth were free.

The Riot at Xavier's -Not Guilty. Seriously? I don't even get how that could be seen as his fault.

Ignoring Danger's call for help -Guilty. yeah, just guilty.

So, while I do see Xavier as guilty of at least a few abuses of power, if the question is,

"Is Xavier Guilty of being the Anti-thesis of what he trained the X-Men to stand for....or is he justified in taking different paths and making questionable decisions because he was searching for a way to achieve Co-existence without a book to play by."

...I would be more inclined to choose the latter, if only just.

While Xavier has made at least a few major, hypocritical mistakes in his mission, virtually all of these charges were done at least in the pursuit of helping mutants. Which is a far cry from being the antithesis of his own ideal. While that may not justify his mistakes, I think it's fair to say he's done far more good than harm, for mutants and the world, despite them.

Basically, my judgement of him would be based on how he was judged by Cyclops and especially Danger; if they decided he was guilty, I'd feel obliged to agree; but if they could forgive him, I don't see why I couldn't.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Charles xavier innocent??? No one is innocent*, but i voted for mistrial because hes guilty of stuff but its hard to prove.

*except Nightcrawler.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The death of Vulcan's X-Men team- Not Guilty. Unless he's guilty of forming the X-men in the first place. They had as much training as the first X-men had when they faced Magneto. I mean, Angel survived that place and he didn't have a fraction of the power of any member of Vulcan's team.

The mental manipulation of Cyclops - Guilty. Personally, I can't help but put this in the category of a white lie told to protect his son, but that still counts as an abuse of his power.

Coming to the defense of Magneto during his trial -Not Guilty. Magneto's trial was a step in the right direction both for mutant relations and for the rehabilitation of a mutant criminal, both of which he was right to advocate. Interesting how you put this, though, and not the fact that he left Magneto in charge of the school.

The acceptance of Sabretooth into the school against the X-men's wishes -Not Guilty. Xavier may have been overly idealistic in thinking he could reform Sabretooth the way he had Wolverine, Rogue, or Magneto, but all of them were admitted against the wishes of the other X-men as well. And though Sabretooth was arguably more of a threat, he was also a prisoner; and the school wasn't really a school at the time, so all of it's inhabitants were trained X-men who would actually have been in more danger if Sabretooth were free.

The Riot at Xavier's -Not Guilty. Seriously? I don't even get how that could be seen as his fault.

Ignoring Danger's call for help -Guilty. yeah, just guilty.

So, while I do see Xavier as guilty of at least a few abuses of power, if the question is,

"Is Xavier Guilty of being the Anti-thesis of what he trained the X-Men to stand for....or is he justified in taking different paths and making questionable decisions because he was searching for a way to achieve Co-existence without a book to play by."

...I would be more inclined to choose the latter, if only just.

While Xavier has made at least a few major, hypocritical mistakes in his mission, virtually all of these charges were done at least in the pursuit of helping mutants. Which is a far cry from being the antithesis of his own ideal. While that may not justify his mistakes, I think it's fair to say he's done far more good than harm, for mutants and the world, despite them.

Basically, my judgement of him would be based on how he was judged by Cyclops and especially Danger; if they decided he was guilty, I'd feel obliged to agree; but if they could forgive him, I don't see why I couldn't.

The Riot at Xavier's was to support a charge relating to his student death count but i didn't want to put "child endangerment" as a charge since it seemed a little cheap.

If Xavier somehow thought Magneto was worth defending, it sort of makes it seem acceptable that he would leave him in charge of the school. And Mag's arguably did right by Charles' wishes in that capacity.

It's just the idea that he would defend Magneto, or get involved in anyway, seems unacceptable and more like him trying to save a friend who doesn't deserve it and trying to justify it. The thing is that helping the prosecution is the only right thing to do when your a personal witness to crimes against humanity. And the idea that he would repeatedly make the mistake of aiding or befriending Magneto after this despite Erik's villainous actions shows this as the start of a pattern.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ADDING TO EVIDENCE: Continued Friendship with Magneto.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Xavier, he made some mistakes, but I believe he deserves a shot at redemption far more than Hank McCoy does. I say Guilty but deserves a far less severe punishment.

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im no where near familiar enough with most of Xaviers actions to pass judgement....but the one I can say GUILTY without a second thought is the situation with Danger. No real excuse for him there.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

It's just the idea that he would defend Magneto, or get involved in anyway, seems unacceptable and more like him trying to save a friend who doesn't deserve it and trying to justify it. The thing is that helping the prosecution is the only right thing to do when your a personal witness to crimes against humanity. And the idea that he would repeatedly make the mistake of aiding or befriending Magneto after this despite Erik's villainous actions shows this as the start of a pattern.

Perhaps it shows the beginning of a pattern, but Xavier couldn't know about that pattern before it happened, so to say that he never should have tried to advocate Magneto's rehabilitation in the first place is sort of like saying Magneto himself was not deserving of a fair trial, which I don't believe.

"Even a goddamn werewolf is entitled to legal council", right?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Even a goddamn werewolf is entitled to legal council", right?

Dude, did you just quote Fear and Loathing?? You are now my favorite viner.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: nice.

but does it make a convincing argument is the thing; how'd you vote?

Avatar image for illyanarasputin
    IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

I love all of these trials... And I love that I'm always the the majority vote... >:)

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool thread :)

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: nice.

but does it make a convincing argument is the thing; how'd you vote?

I don't know. These threads are strange. Professor X isn't a real guy, writers made him do these things because, well, some of them either didn't know ho to write the character, or were just trying to do something new with him despite it contradicting previously established motivations....I don't know.

I predominantly agree with you first assessment. Some of the things aren't his fault, I mean, I guess you could logically hold him responsible for the death of any number of X-Men, I mean if he didn't recruit them in the first place they would have lived, right?? Its a broad argument I guess.

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Abuse of authority

every leader under the marvel banner has abused their authority at one point or another, in the end id say that xavier was just hard on the x-men because he knew they were needed and had to have them prepared to their max potential to avoid another (Vulcan team, thunderbird 1 death).
    - Failure as a leader of the X-Men

xavier never wanted to be their leader per say, he was their founder and teacher, scott was always meant to be their leader.
    - Extreme Recklessness

this question here.... who in the marvel universe hasnt had moments of extreme recklessness.... it depends on what was cause and effect of the extreme recklessness
    - Use of mutant abilities for personal gain

again name a telepath within the marvel universe who hasnt used their telepathy for personal gain at one point or another
    - Using the "Xavier Dream" as justification for unpardonable actions.

what unpardonable acts does this even reference....... ILL WAIT

- The death of Vulcan's X-Men team- the death of the team wasnt entirely his fault, the fact that he hid it was one of Xavier's not so glamorous moments but he has done everything within his power to try and atone for this mistake.
    - The mental manipulation of Cyclops

yes xavier has manipulated scott but as ive stated before he did so because he knew that scott was the leader the x-men needed so he did everything in his power to keep scott on the path.... was it a overall good choice, id say yes. besides scott killed xavier(under the influence of the phoenix) so i think scott has forgiven him and is atoning himself for his part in his death
    - Coming to the defense of Magneto during his trial
    - The acceptance of Sabretooth into the school against the X-men's wishes

xavier felt that anyone deserved a second chance.... if not, magneto would never had been allowed to run the school earlier on nor would rogue and a few other members ever be on the team but i will say that he became a hypocrite when magneto returned while they were on utopia
    - The Riot at Xavier's

this was Xavier's fault..... i thought Quention Quire Started the Riot.
    - Ignoring Danger's call for help

while i didnt agree with the premise i do however agree with his justification that he needed to have his x-men prepared but if he had given danger her freedom earlier on it would have benefited the team in many more ways

i wont go as far to say xavier is completely innocent but like cyclops he wasnt a true hypocrite and his reasonings were for the benifit of his team and the mutant race overall in doing what he had to do in preparing cyclops and the x-men for all forms of future threats.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

ADDING TO EVIDENCE: Continued Friendship with Magneto.

Approved!!!!!

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Koays

@xspectre28: curious about when he tried to atone for the mistake....He really only did something after Vulcan came back....If he hadn't gotten caught the team never would've known about Vulcan group.

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@xspectre28: curious about when he tried to atone for the mistake....He really only did something after Vulcan came back....If he hadn't gotten caught the team never would've known about Vulcan group.

@koays said:

true indeed but again ill say. he kept that info from the team, mainly scott because he felt that if scott knew that he had lost a brother while trying to save the x-men then he would leave the team, same as he felt freeing danger would mean he wouldnt have the means to train the x-men to their full potential.... xavier summed that his not being truthful was for the greater good of the team that he was preparing to defend mutants as well as training scott to be the leader he needed him to be. Xavier is the most powerful telepath on the planet who knows what he knew and maybe he was even a precog or has come into contact with a precog... maybe he saw the destiny diaries and knew that the x-men and scott had to be pushed in order for them to be prepared so he figured that keeping those secrets would benefit more... not saying he was right for them but i understand his reasons

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

true indeed but again ill say. he kept that info from the team, mainly scott because he felt that if scott knew that he had lost a brother while trying to save the x-men then he would leave the team, same as he felt freeing danger would mean he wouldnt have the means to train the x-men to their full potential.... xavier summed that his not being truthful was for the greater good of the team that he was preparing to defend mutants as well as training scott to be the leader he needed him to be. Xavier is the most powerful telepath on the planet who knows what he knew and maybe he was even a precog or has come into contact with a precog... maybe he saw the destiny diaries and knew that the x-men and scott had to be pushed in order for them to be prepared so he figured that keeping those secrets would benefit more... not saying he was right for them but i understand his reasons

And I agree with all of that, Xavier did what he had to and in the long term it was a good thing. But if you can say "i'll erase the memories of the guy who sees me as a father and rewrite them" and then use the excuse of his dream as justification then that puts him in Magneto territory. He just sort of says the ends justify the means and keeps it moving.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By darthphoenix

suppressed jean's powers so that he can continue to be the most power telepath when in fact it has always been jean

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By adamTRMM

Mistrial.

His intentions were good and even after so many attempts by writers to partially demonize him on a personal level, his cause was selfless and he was willing to die for it.

He is guilty for his final sentence before death "I am on the side I always have been", on the side of humanity.

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@xspectre28 said:

@koays said:

And I agree with all of that, Xavier did what he had to and in the long term it was a good thing. But if you can say "i'll erase the memories of the guy who sees me as a father and rewrite them" and then use the excuse of his dream as justification then that puts him in Magneto territory. He just sort of says the ends justify the means and keeps it moving.

well thats what most of the main ppl in the marvel universe has done... thats why the illuminati was formed and low and behold if xavier wasnt a member of that too.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.