"... the Slow and Painful Death of the Marvel."....

#1 Posted by The_Diamond_Prince (64 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by Chaos Burn (1789 posts) - - Show Bio

sad, but possibly true... Marvel seem to be setting themselves up for a big flop. The problem, as the article points seems to preach, is that the 'events' need to slow down, but maybe the new Disny big-heads won't let Marvel drop that dying cash cow

#3 Posted by Daycrawler (552 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm, interesting article, although I think the 'all is lost' attitude regarding the direction of Cyclops and some other X-Men ruining the X-Men franchise as a whole is a bit melodramatic and slightly hysterical. Stark was cast as misguided uber-douche during civil war (as was Reed Richards) and he's recovered in terms of popularity. He didn't irreversibly damage the Avengers franchise when he was leading the 'mighty' Avengers. X-Factor, WATX, Uncanny X-Force are doing fine and dandy and will likely continue to do so post AvX and Marvel NOW. New Mutants remain 'untainted' by the notion of Cykes team of X-Men villainy too, though sadly their book is ending. Same goes for the Legacy and Astonishing casts too. I wouldn't say that the X-Men as a whole are being 'sacrificed' as villians to the Avengers. A few characters perhaps, but I'm reserving judgement on that until the event is over and the dust settles.

I'd also argue that Marvel haven't 'cannibalised' Cyclops's character. To me it seems a relatively reasonable progression of character given the burden he's had and the horrors and strains of recent years since M-Day. They may not have always handled this character progression well at times, but that's different from just canniblising a character (i.e. stripping out parts and keeping only those you want - the reverse of character progression). Cyclops may have become a hardline military leader willing to go into morally grey areas to achieve his aims (the character progression part), but underneath that I still see the core of his original character. He occasionally falls back to the boy scout in his nature in terms of holding out from the darker impulses of the PF far better than the others (e.g. not wanting to kill Hawkeye, or other Avengers, not advocating attacking Wakanda). He still has his self doubt even though he's grown as a leader (e.g. bringing Storm on board the Extinction Team).

Agree that the relentless pace of events is getting a old fast though. Re-reading my above comments, it sounds like I hated the article! Didn't for the most part, just those points annoyed me a bit!

#4 Posted by danhimself (22720 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Jean is NOT coming back...yes a younger group of X-men is coming from the past that includes a younger Jean but she is NOT the same Jean who is in the White Hot Room and I really don't see current day Cyclops dumping Emma in favor of a 16-18 year old Jean...especially since a younger Cyclops is coming with her

2. I don't understand why everyone is looking at the X-men as the villains here....it's the Phoenix who is the villain and is making them do these things...plus the rest of the Marvel Universe has had this coming....they've spent the last decade ignoring the mutants and their problems and sat and watched as the mutant race has dwindled to a few hundred survivors and now all of a sudden something comes along that could possibly help them and the Avengers decide to try and sneak onto their island to abduct an underage girl...the X-men handled the situation correctly....then on top of everything they were only doing good things with the Phoenix Force...they stopped war and ended hunger and disease...yeah those are some terrible people right there

#5 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1363 posts) - - Show Bio

The avengers have offered to help and being told it was a mutant problem and would be dealt with by mutants.

#6 Posted by The_Diamond_Prince (64 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: I pretty much agree with you. I do think the X men are justified in their reaction, but besides Infinite Comics #2, we haven't really gotten much on how the power is corrupting them. This event has done a much better job fleshing out the Avengers side of it all, and barely scratching the surface of the P5(4) side. Even though it is clear that the Phoenix power is causing the corruption, the lack of X men side perspective makes it hard to sympathize with them at the moment.

I did enjoy Storm's moments in AVX #9, though I wish there were more similar moments from the P5.

#7 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3631 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting article. It is possible to destroy a franchise - that's what happens when main characters are quietly ushered a way and a new cast and/or new direction is loudly announced. I'm not sure if "A vs X" is the event that will do it, though. The sales seem to have been good and the series seems to have an audience that doesn't really care about interesting characters, scenarios that don't get resolved with fisticuffs or a consistently well-delivered story. I think Marvel's happy with the way the sales are turning out which may have been why the Marvel execs were surprised when fans were cheering when they hinted that Cyclops might die - many of their mega events are designed to boost comic sales and promote other merchandising activities, so when a character is undermined, they often don't realize the impact until their money is affected. As far as they are concerned, Cyclops is helping to drive the sales of a pretty successful event, and many of them might not recognize how odious the X-Men have become to some readers.

#8 Posted by One_Eye (783 posts) - - Show Bio

@PhoenixoftheTides: @The_Diamond_Prince: @danhimself: @Chaos Burn: Funny that I was considering writing an blog based upon that article as well. It really does feel like with the constant events, the misuse of Cyclops character, and with AvX, that Cyclops is being put on the proverbial chopping block. Months ago I really wanted to believe that this series wouldn't turn out to be another superhero slobber-knocker but it would appear that Marvel is determined to make a fool of me. I have no problem with being wrong, however, I hate this event is turning out so predictable as once again Marvel proves that they can't write morally-themed stories and concepts worth nothing. They don't understand the concept that just because a book sells well doesn't mean that it's well-written. After this event I'm not even certain that I want to give Marvel my time or my money. I'm just disappointed though, given the setup I shouldn't be surprised. I mean Cyclops who seems to have a 50/50 love/hate ratio with fans up against Wolverine AND Captain America? Sheesh...I'm almost to the point of complete apathy as far as this goes.

#9 Edited by BlueArrow (256 posts) - - Show Bio

The no rest between events and the writing quality is why I prefer DC. To me, it feels more controlled. And their Crossovers dont require you to read all the issues of all the comics involved most of the time. Although, I do like the marvel comics that don't get involved in the crossovers. Like Venom and the carnage minis

#10 Posted by lorex (958 posts) - - Show Bio

I do not think Marvel is trying to destroy the X-Men as a franchise but they are being guided more by corporate interests rather then good store ideas. Lets face it Schism was all about raising the profile of Wolverine even more so Marvel could make that gravey train even fatter, and not because they wanted to tell a good story cause schism sucked. The writing on that was bad and it was thrust on us whether we wanted it or not. Avengers vs X-Men is another story that seems like a bad idea but that does not stop Marvel. Like the sheep they are most fane are eating it up. Also several long term X-Men story lines have been co-opted for Avengers. Civil War was a perversion of the Mutant Registration Act, and now the Phoenix Force is being used to further raise the profile of the Avengers at the expense of the X-Men. I do think that part of the problem is that Marvel does not have the movie rights to the X-Men and that has lead to the Avengers being placed ontop of the priority list and this is unlikely to change any time soon.

#11 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree. I like Cyclops but it's just getting hard to defend him nowadays. Emma is reduced to her worst qualities in AvX and that might spell the end for their relationship.

#12 Posted by Dman1366 (801 posts) - - Show Bio

I must be blind. I really do not see this event in a terrible light. It is engaging, fun, and good with canon (as far as how the PF currupts). I think what has happened is a shift in audiences. Instead of Marvel always pleasing the readers from 1980+, they are trying to engage new readers. Let's face it, the comic book industry, at least in Denver, where I live, is going down hill. And will soon be gone if there are no more readers. This includes, the apparently infallible, DC.

I know you guys are upset at something, not sure why? Cyclops has ALWAYS been a whiney little girl, ALWAYS. Don't believe me? Read the O5, read X-Factor, read Morrison's and Whedon's run. Magik has always been a bitch, check out original New Mutants. Colossus desperatley need a character change, and is also, if you forgot, still possessed by Cytorrak; making it easy for Colossus to want more bloodshed and power. Emma is even shown that she doesn't want the PF anymore, which is good canon, since she hated the PF to begin with. And Namor, really? He is the biggest douche ever. Even in a 'History of Marvel Comics" book I read, they label the Sub-Mariner as an uber cock.

At first everyone complains about too many xbooks, then when they finally decide to get rid of a lot of them, you still complain. What is that bad? Yes Wolverine sucks, I hate him the most, but honestly I haven't read an xbook with him in it in a long time. I even get WatX, and I do not remember the last time I saw Wolverine involved. Think long term, if the new Marvel Now movement doesn't sell, then they will always just go back to normal and forget that AvX happened. It happened with Inferno, Second Coming, and Fear Itself.

#13 Edited by PhoenixoftheTides (3631 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dman1366 said:

I must be blind. I really do not see this event in a terrible light. It is engaging, fun, and good with canon (as far as how the PF currupts). I think what has happened is a shift in audiences. Instead of Marvel always pleasing the readers from 1980+, they are trying to engage new readers. Let's face it, the comic book industry, at least in Denver, where I live, is going down hill. And will soon be gone if there are no more readers. This includes, the apparently infallible, DC.

I know you guys are upset at something, not sure why? Cyclops has ALWAYS been a whiney little girl, ALWAYS. Don't believe me? Read the O5, read X-Factor, read Morrison's and Whedon's run. Magik has always been a bitch, check out original New Mutants. Colossus desperatley need a character change, and is also, if you forgot, still possessed by Cytorrak; making it easy for Colossus to want more bloodshed and power. Emma is even shown that she doesn't want the PF anymore, which is good canon, since she hated the PF to begin with. And Namor, really? He is the biggest douche ever. Even in a 'History of Marvel Comics" book I read, they label the Sub-Mariner as an uber cock.

At first everyone complains about too many xbooks, then when they finally decide to get rid of a lot of them, you still complain. What is that bad? Yes Wolverine sucks, I hate him the most, but honestly I haven't read an xbook with him in it in a long time. I even get WatX, and I do not remember the last time I saw Wolverine involved. Think long term, if the new Marvel Now movement doesn't sell, then they will always just go back to normal and forget that AvX happened. It happened with Inferno, Second Coming, and Fear Itself.

Can't really speak for anyone else, but I'm not really upset. I think the event has found an audience, and I'm not a part of it. It may be that I'm no longer in the right demographic for what they are trying to do. That being said, I still buy X-Force, X-Factor, occasionally the New Mutants (I hear this is going away), FF, Fantastic Four and a bunch of other independent titles.

I think the writing on a lot of the current X books is below par, which is why I'm dropping so many titles. In fact, if the writing was consistently good or excellent, I doubt there would be so many calls to prune any books from the range of titles. There was a point in time where I was buying every X-related book because the editorial consistency was high, stories didn't get interrupted by events/crossovers and the artwork was different but good across the board. I was going broke, but loved that period of time.

But, as I said above, I don't think this event will destroy the franchise, either.

#14 Posted by Dman1366 (801 posts) - - Show Bio

@PhoenixoftheTides: I completely agree with you on that. I just don't have the money for these events, especially when they write very lazily. That is one thing I cannot defend; even though I like AvX, most of the time it is just lazy writing, and that would not have been okay 20 years ago. But as of now, I just get Avenging Spider-Man, Scarlet Spider, WatX, Avengers Academy, and UXM. All have great writers, I think Jason is one of the best on Marvel's pay role, and Gage is only good with AA.

#15 Edited by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio

Great article! Although, there were some points I slightly disagree with.  For instance, when the article stated that comic fans don't want a change in the stories and the characters, I think that comic fans do want a slight change in their characters and the situations.  It's just that Marvel has been forcing these events on the fans and they are not allowing any of the characters to really develop before the event comes by, so a lot of the current changes happening with the characters seemed too forced rather than being developed gradually.  

I do agree though that having too many events in the X-Men comics is going to eventually cause Marvel to go through a decline in the quality of the X-Men comics, unless they start making stories that actually develop the characters and gradually move the plots forward.

#16 Edited by TheAnnihilator (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

Someones complaining Marvel is dying and that they suck now and they sold out and that they'll never buy from Marvel again. They aren't, they don't, they didn't and they will.

What else is new?

#17 Posted by Dman1366 (801 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAnnihilator said:

Someones complaining Marvel is dying and that they suck now and they sold out and that they'll never buy from Marvel again. They aren't, they don't, they didn't and they will.

What else is new?

'nuff said.

#18 Edited by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

"Quesada and the faceless Disney executives aren't the only ones to blame, though. We, the fans, deserve some too. Comic book fans notoriously resist change. In general, most of us want the same old stories with the same old heroes fighting the same old villains, over and over again. We're not reading for new material. We're reading to relive the feelings we experienced when we discovered these characters as children."

I believe the title of that article should be "The slow and painful death of the comic book industry" based on that one, sad, true line.

#19 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio
@Twentyfive said:

"Quesada and the faceless Disney executives aren't the only ones to blame, though. We, the fans, deserve some too. Comic book fans notoriously resist change. In general, most of us want the same old stories with the same old heroes fighting the same old villains, over and over again. We're not reading for new material. We're reading to relive the feelings we experienced when we discovered these characters as children."

I believe the title of that article should be "The slow and painful death of the comic book industry" based on that one, sad, true line.

I agree.
#20 Posted by CrimsonCake (2683 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

Great article! Although, there were some points I slightly disagree with. For instance, when the article stated that comic fans don't want a change in the stories and the characters, I think that comic fans do want a slight change in their characters and the situations. It's just that Marvel has been forcing these events on the fans and they are not allowing any of the characters to really develop before the event comes by, so a lot of the current changes happening with the characters seemed too forced rather than being developed gradually. I do agree though that having too many events in the X-Men comics is going to eventually cause Marvel to go through a decline in the quality of the X-Men comics, unless they start making stories that actually develop the characters and gradually move the plots forward.

Agreed I even found this statement a little untrue "Marvel creates them, but it's more books starring Wolverine that fans will pay for. So Marvel makes them."

#21 Edited by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio
@CrimsonCake said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

Great article! Although, there were some points I slightly disagree with. For instance, when the article stated that comic fans don't want a change in the stories and the characters, I think that comic fans do want a slight change in their characters and the situations. It's just that Marvel has been forcing these events on the fans and they are not allowing any of the characters to really develop before the event comes by, so a lot of the current changes happening with the characters seemed too forced rather than being developed gradually. I do agree though that having too many events in the X-Men comics is going to eventually cause Marvel to go through a decline in the quality of the X-Men comics, unless they start making stories that actually develop the characters and gradually move the plots forward.

Agreed I even found this statement a little untrue "Marvel creates them, but it's more books starring Wolverine that fans will pay for. So Marvel makes them."

I also disagree with this statement. I think any fan will buy books that don't have Wolverine in them, as long as the story is well written and keeps their interest.
#22 Edited by Omega Ray Jay (7968 posts) - - Show Bio

The event mentality of Marvel has grown tiresome and I can see something bad on the horizon if this continues, again I don't think it will happen with A.V.X however I've been actively following current comics since 2009 and just watching what has passed since and how it bleeds into perfectly good books temporarily ruining them in many cases cannot continue for much longer. If, where or when this will happen is anyone's guess I think.

#23 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio
@Omega Ray Jay said:

The event mentality of Marvel has grown tiresome and I can see something bad on the horizon if this continues, again I don't think it will happen with A.V.X however I've been actively following current comics since 2009 and just watching what has passed since and how it bleeds into perfectly good books temporarily ruining them in many cases cannot continue for much longer. If, where or when this will happen is anyone's guess I think.

I agree that the effects of having too many events might not start with AvX, but if Marvel continues to put out more events after AvX, then too many good comics would be ruined by this.
#24 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7968 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog: True, less is more in this case.

#25 Posted by papad1992 (6793 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

1. Jean is NOT coming back...yes a younger group of X-men is coming from the past that includes a younger Jean but she is NOT the same Jean who is in the White Hot Room and I really don't see current day Cyclops dumping Emma in favor of a 16-18 year old Jean...especially since a younger Cyclops is coming with her

2. I don't understand why everyone is looking at the X-men as the villains here....it's the Phoenix who is the villain and is making them do these things...plus the rest of the Marvel Universe has had this coming....they've spent the last decade ignoring the mutants and their problems and sat and watched as the mutant race has dwindled to a few hundred survivors and now all of a sudden something comes along that could possibly help them and the Avengers decide to try and sneak onto their island to abduct an underage girl...the X-men handled the situation correctly....then on top of everything they were only doing good things with the Phoenix Force...they stopped war and ended hunger and disease...yeah those are some terrible people right there

I agree with you

Plus maybe Marvel is wanting to fan out and fade some of the X-Men and X-titles because of how huge it is and has gotten over the years... I mean the X-Men (and X-related) have a total of 11 titles (that's excluding some of the new ones that are approaching and the ones that have just ended this year) while the Avengers have a total of 5 titles... Marvel has just released The Avengers this year, grossing well enough to know where their money needs to go, so what better way to up the Avengers side of the Marvel Universe than have a huge event like Avengers vs X-Men to "put the X-Men in their place" so to say, and have the Avengers be the heroes and victims of this event. They do this to gain new readers and more followers so that when sequels to the blockbuster hits Captain America, Thor, and The Avengers (as well as Ironman 3 and whatever else is coming out) premieres, Marvel will gain even more praise for their wonderful work, characters, etc... While the X-Men get subjected to another X-Men First Class movie (which wasn't that bad, but wasn't to me what the X-Men are all about... it didn't catch the grip of what the X-Men are) and loyal readers and followers get even more pissed off and lose interest in the characters and stories and go to DC because of inconsistency. Look at this "Marvel NOW!" change that is happening, out of all of that, what do the X-Men get?... A crappy "back to the future, past, and present" series and yet another book on how the original 5 X-Men weren't the original 5! Just because Disney or Marvel or whomever don't own the rights to the X-Men feature film-wise, doesn't mean they have to shrug them off to the side and deliver horrible writing to such great characters in favor for Avengers series that will gain them money because of their box office hits!

#26 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio
@papad1992 said:

@danhimself said:

I agree with you

Plus maybe Marvel is wanting to fan out and fade some of the X-Men and X-titles because of how huge it is and has gotten over the years... I mean the X-Men (and X-related) have a total of 11 titles (that's excluding some of the new ones that are approaching and the ones that have just ended this year) while the Avengers have a total of 5 titles... Marvel has just released The Avengers this year, grossing well enough to know where their money needs to go, so what better way to up the Avengers side of the Marvel Universe than have a huge event like Avengers vs X-Men to "put the X-Men in their place" so to say, and have the Avengers be the heroes and victims of this event. They do this to gain new readers and more followers so that when sequels to the blockbuster hits Captain America, Thor, and The Avengers (as well as Ironman 3 and whatever else is coming out) premieres, Marvel will gain even more praise for their wonderful work, characters, etc... While the X-Men get subjected to another X-Men First Class movie (which wasn't that bad, but wasn't to me what the X-Men are all about... it didn't catch the grip of what the X-Men are) and loyal readers and followers get even more pissed off and lose interest in the characters and stories and go to DC because of inconsistency. Look at this "Marvel NOW!" change that is happening, out of all of that, what do the X-Men get?... A crappy "back to the future, past, and present" series and yet another book on how the original 5 X-Men weren't the original 5! Just because Disney or Marvel or whomever don't own the rights to the X-Men feature film-wise, doesn't mean they have to shrug them off to the side and deliver horrible writing to such great characters in favor for Avengers series that will gain them money because of their box office hits!

I agree. It seems like Marvel is shoveling the X-Men to the side because they still don't own the rights to the movie franchise, but hopefully, all of this will be changed later on.
#27 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3631 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@CrimsonCake said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

I also disagree with this statement. I think any fan will buy books that don't have Wolverine in them, as long as the story is well written and keeps their interest.

What demographic are you referring to when you use the term 'fan'? There are different groups of fans, and the sales figures can tell a mixed story. There are fans of specific characters, those that follow any good story, others that like buying anything for a complete collection, etc. There are really good stories that certain readers don't purchase because they aren't interested in the specific character.

#28 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio
@PhoenixoftheTides said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@CrimsonCake said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

What demographic are you referring to when you use the term 'fan'? There are different groups of fans, and the sales figures can tell a mixed story. There are fans of specific characters, those that follow any good story, others that like buying anything for a complete collection, etc. There are really good stories that certain readers don't purchase because they aren't interested in the specific character.

Oh, I was talking about the fans that are invested in good stories.
#29 Posted by papad1992 (6793 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@papad1992 said:

@danhimself said:

I agree with you

I agree. It seems like Marvel is shoveling the X-Men to the side because they still don't own the rights to the movie franchise, but hopefully, all of this will be changed later on.

My thoughts exactly! I'm glad u agree...

#30 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3631 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@CrimsonCake said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

Oh, I was talking about the fans that are invested in good stories.

Ah ok. I guess the only problem would be if the fans that like good stories are outnumbered by fans who are willing to buy shlock. I wonder about that sometimes.

#31 Posted by ratman19 (525 posts) - - Show Bio

marvels trying to make the comics like the movies. which will kinda turn away long term fans

#32 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio
@ratman19 said:

marvels trying to make the comics like the movies. which will kinda turn away long term fans

Yeah, that was something I didn't like about Marvel doing.  Everytime they try to get something from the movie continuity into the comics, it just ruins the original flow of the comics and makes the stories more confusing.
#33 Posted by John Valentine (16335 posts) - - Show Bio

This event is so bittersweet. Mostly bitter for the X-Men.

The Avengers suck.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.