The schism continues...

#1 Edited by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

In the aftermath of AvX there seems to be three new sides to the schism. The Avenger's X-men, Wolverine's X-men and Cyclops eX-men. From the preview we have a clue of who is aligned with who but who else is missing and where are they going to go? Will there also be another side? I hope so?

Uncanny Avengers (Avengers working together with the X-men to defend the world and portray mutants as heroic)

Wolverine, Rogue, Havok, ?

All New X-men (X-men based at the Jean Grey School dedicated to teaching the next generation in peace)

Wolverine, Storm, Beast, Rachel Grey, Iceman, Kitty Pryde, ?

All Different Brotherhood (Formerly consisting of the Extinction team of Utopia's X-men)

Cyclops, Emma Frost, Magneto, Magik, ?

#2 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if the X-men will ever be united again...

#3 Posted by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

I forget there also X-Factor and X-Force out there but i don't think they are factions as much as they are splinter groups with different missions, one to work as an accessible detective agency, the other a secret black ops group.

It reminds me X-corps/corporation which provided an alternative that was established, organized and valuable to society. Canada, Japan and England all have superhero teams with mutants, and they never had the problems the X-men keep on facing. We need an X-team/faction outside of America and helping to protect and serve like X-force/factor have. And wouldn't be amazing if they could use a European castle as their X-base.

#4 Posted by One_Eye (783 posts) - - Show Bio

@Silver_Raven said:

I forget there also X-Factor and X-Force out there but i don't think they are factions as much as they are splinter groups with different missions, one to work as an accessible detective agency, the other a secret black ops group.

It reminds me X-corps/corporation which provided an alternative that was established, organized and valuable to society. Canada, Japan and England all have superhero teams with mutants, and they never had the problems the X-men keep on facing. We need an X-team/faction outside of America and helping to protect and serve like X-force/factor have. And wouldn't be amazing if they could use a European castle as their X-base.

Heh, well, given the current and divisive state of the mutant community; humans don't need to worry about fighting mutants any longer as they are busy fighting amongst themselves still

#5 Posted by Dman1366 (700 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog: i wonder that as well my friend. Maybe there will be a cross over next summer that involves that. My hope is that happens, then everything is based out of the JGSHL. Then we can have an awesome x-generation like New-Xmen (Morrison), Astonishing (Whedon), and Academy X (Defillips).

#6 Edited by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

What new rosters would people like to see?

The Avengers seem to be getting some more mutant member to their teams. Along with Uncanny Avengers, the main Avengers book are getting Cannonball and Sunspot. I am really hoping Mirage joins the team as well, she is such Avenger material. With New Mutants being cancelled where better to see these character get some new focus but i hope Magma and the others aren't forgotten too. When Uncanny Avengers, introduces more characters to the roster they better have Storm and Beast are on it since they were Avengers to begin with and Wolverine shouldn't get to be in everything. As for other X-men with Avenger potential i wouldn't mind seeing Psylocke, Cable, Domino, or Warpath join their ranks.

All New X-men/Astonishing/Wolverine and the X-men should hopefully include more than the 6 we saw on the cover. There definitely needs to be more teachers and it would great if they could recapture the feel of Academy X and allow the students to get more attention. I would add Dr. Reyes, Northstar, Aurora, Blink and Cypher with Warlock to the staff.

As Cyclops new "Brotherhood", he should gather all those unaccounted for from Utopia and any other mutant out there. The remaining Acolytes, Morlocks, and the New X-men recruits could be given some spotlight on this team.

The wild card book now is the Legacy title and we still aren't sure who will be in that book with Legion. I hope it does have some connection with the X-men but is somewhere far away, like Muir Island. And is it can have roster of random characters like X-man, Threnody, Karma, Lifeguard, Mimic and Sage (if anyone could maybe bring her back it can be Legion). Legacy is the longest running book now, after Uncanny X-men finished. So it better live up to its title.

#7 Edited by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

What do people think will happen to characters like Namor, Colossus, Psylocke, and Cable?

Where are they going to end up?

#8 Posted by Nightcrawler23 (775 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sick of reading 3/4 of the x-universe at once. There should be three titles at most.

#9 Posted by photowill404 (105 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops 'All Different Brotherhood'? while as a Cyclops fan I can not picture him as anything but the leader of the X-Men, however having him become the leader of a new brotherhood would an interesting turn of events so long as he is written in a terrible fashion and made to look like an incompetent character. But whatever they do DO NOT EVER MAKE HIM AN AVENGER!!!!!!!!

#10 Posted by One_Eye (783 posts) - - Show Bio

@photowill404 said:

Cyclops 'All Different Brotherhood'? while as a Cyclops fan I can not picture him as anything but the leader of the X-Men, however having him become the leader of a new brotherhood would an interesting turn of events so long as he is written in a terrible fashion and made to look like an incompetent character. But whatever they do DO NOT EVER MAKE HIM AN AVENGER!!!!!!!!

Heh, terrible fashion, eh? Well, Marvel has already done that hands down! As for Avenger? F*@K NO!!!! Talk about demotion. He'd be at the bottom of the pecking order that's sure! I'd sooner him lead a group of amoral characters that dub themselves The Brotherhood than follow in Cap, Thor, or Ironmans' stead!

#11 Posted by Imperius_Rex (452 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly I think the new brotherhood should be Scott, mags ( who would lead??maybe it could be another Xavier young Scott type thing??)colossus, magik, danger, warpath, namor, Emma, etc. honestly I don't think it's that cool to be an x man nowadays. It should be a re schism storm leads x men and Logan leads his school let Scott have like 8-10 years of being one o the baddest villains the x men have, seen like turn down his morals a bit let his hair out of his mask for a while wear that awesome brown leather jacket over his costume! Maybe even a color change? What if!? *head explodes*You know what I mean though. He could rock it.

#12 Edited by lorex (957 posts) - - Show Bio

With most of the X-Men siding with the Wolverine camp in the AvX serves 3 points. One it makes Wolverine the main man in the X-Men pecking order which serves a long term Marvel agenda to make Wolverine more prominent in the X-Men leadership and it happens to be at the expense of Cyclops. The second point is which seems clear to me is right now at Marvel the proirity is Avengers. With another Iron Man and possibly 2 more Thor, Captan America and Avenger movies, Marvel is all Avengers all the time in terms of its promotional priorities right now, not surprising given the millions perhaps billions of dollars at stake. Marvel has already been using characters from other teams to inflate the Avengers popularity with Spiderman, Wolverine and others being brought in. Now it looks to me like the X-Men are being made an apendage of the Avengers rather than a seperate entity. My third point is that Marvel has set Cyclops up for similar fall to what Captain America encountered after Civil War and Iron Man after the invasion and I am not entirelly sure they will build him back up again. It seems to me the plan for Cyclops over the last few years has been to make him lean more and more to the Magneto side of the human-mutant relations as he has had to make an increasing series of difficult decisions for the good of all mutants. Even if Cyclops gets the Phoenix Force completely removed from his system I just cannot see him following Wolverine or taking direction from Captain America. In fact I see him and a small group striking out on their own and this is probably where he will branded a villian. In do not necessarily want this to happen but I just don't see Cyclops assuming the leadership of the X-Men again given the way Marvel has thrown him under the bus.

#13 Posted by One_Eye (783 posts) - - Show Bio

@Imperius_Rex:

@lorex said:

With most of the X-Men siding with the Wolverine camp in the AvX serves 3 points. One it makes Wolverine the main man in the X-Men pecking order which serves a long term Marvel agenda to make Wolverine more prominent in the X-Men leadership and it happens to be at the expense of Cyclops. The second point is which seems clear to me is right now at Marvel the proirity is Avengers. With another Iron Man and possibly 2 more Thor, Captan America and Avenger movies, Marvel is all Avengers all the time in terms of its promotional priorities right now, not surprising given the millions perhaps billions of dollars at stake. Marvel has already been using characters from other teams to inflate the Avengers popularity with Spiderman, Wolverine and others being brought in. Now it looks to me like the X-Men are being made an apendage of the Avengers rather than a seperate entity. My third point is that Marvel has set Cyclops up for similar fall to what Captain America encountered after Civil War and Iron Man after the invasion and I am not entirelly sure they will build him back up again. It seems to me the plan for Cyclops over the last few years has been to make him lean more and more to the Magneto side of the human-mutant relations as he has had to make an increasing series of difficult decisions for the good of all mutants. Even if Cyclops gets the Phoenix Force completely removed from his system I just cannot see him following Wolverine or taking direction from Captain America. In fact I see him and a small group striking out on their own and this is probably where he will branded a villian. In do not necessarily want this to happen but I just don't see Cyclops assuming the leadership of the X-Men again given the way Marvel has thrown him under the bus.

It's sad that it's come down to this. Marvel's gone so far as to even cancel UXM even with the high sales numbers and positive reviews. I'm not exactly sure just how much the movies are playing into the scope of things, however, I definitely see a link. Cyclops is definitely in the same position that Ironman was in during Civil War, however, at least Scott can say that he wasn't within total control of his faculties unlike Stark. I do, though, find myself asking who will follow Scott after this event ends as the only people that I see still at his side are Emma and Magneto.

I'd love it if Scott took what was left of his crew and just charted off on their own just as Havok and Polaris did. I feel that would be great for the whole lot as being part of the main Marvel Universe seems detrimental to a characters' image. Just look at how the Guardians of the Galaxy, Havok, Polaris, and Rachel, and X-Force, and X-Factor benefited from not being involved in Marvels' money-makers. That's what I want for Scott, Emma, Erik, Illyana, and Colossus. I want them to be given their own space away from all of the chaos to just develop and have solid stories because just as Imperius said; it doesn't pay to be an X-Man nowadays.

Marvel is going as far as to set Wolverine up as the inspiration for the X-Men. Let's think about for a moment. The same Wolverine and that Charles Xavier himself mind-controlled into joining the X-Men, the same Wolverine that according to the recent "First X-Men", the same Wolverine who is allegedly responsible for the inception of Weapon-X. Yeah, this whole ordeal has caused me to want to drop Marvel for a while.

When my favorite characters are back getting their just due then I'll return to Marvel because as it stands right now I don't foresee them telling any stories that I care to read.

#14 Posted by lorex (957 posts) - - Show Bio
@One_Eye: Agreed. Also there seems to never be any mention the fact that Xavier used his sizable mental powers to convince people to do what he wants or that while he comes from money its hinted that he used his powers to fund the early X-Men and to get the technology the X-Men used. Also Xavier was essentially fired from the X-Men when his students finally took control of the X-Men. I have a hard time accepting Wolverine as face of the X-Men. This is a clearly an editorial decision as Marvel is riding Wolverine gravy train until the fans revolt.
#15 Posted by photowill404 (105 posts) - - Show Bio

@lorex said:

@One_Eye: Agreed. Also there seems to never be any mention the fact that Xavier used his sizable mental powers to convince people to do what he wants or that while he comes from money its hinted that he used his powers to fund the early X-Men and to get the technology the X-Men used. Also Xavier was essentially fired from the X-Men when his students finally took control of the X-Men. I have a hard time accepting Wolverine as face of the X-Men. This is a clearly an editorial decision as Marvel is riding Wolverine gravy train until the fans revolt.

Totally agree i think this is was done at the behest of the editorial dept. Wolverine was never meant to be the face of the X-Men and even by his own admission he is not the leader type. And i also agree that the cancellation of UXM is a really dumb idea because that book has been a fan favorite even after the recent renumbering. As to who i would like to see siding with Cyclops; I'd like to Magneto, Emma, Colossus, Namor (if he doesnt kill Emma for messing with his mind), Danger, Warpath, Dani Moonstar, and Domino (although I'm not sure where she stands with the recent events)

#16 Posted by Imperius_Rex (452 posts) - - Show Bio

It's pretty sad I mean. Scott was the first x man he's a classic character and should be more an icon than Logan it's just sad to me that they had to sell out on what I think is one of the most intellectual franchises as far as what mutants are all about. Marvel has deffinately lost sight of what the x men stand for. I hope this whole wolverine phase will fizzle out before I have kids and try read comics lol

#17 Posted by Silver_Raven (351 posts) - - Show Bio

I totally agree with the sentiment that Marvel is playing favourites with the Avengers and that the movie's success has only exacerbated the issue to where the X-men look like the bad guys, when there should been more of a grey area in between, and the X-men would have had more sympathy and support rather than being villafied by their own superhero community. If any side should have looked like jerks it should been the Avengers who have ignored the problems of mutants and excluded the X-men from their ranks for decades, except for Beast and recently Wolverine. When dealing with the Phoenix you would think the Avengers would consult with the X-men first before assuming responsibility over the cosmic force. But once again Marvel works against the logic and cooperation to create a conflict to sell their event and a catalyst for a brand-wide relaunch. I just hope they use the Phoenix in an innovative way in the end and stop wasting this event to showcase everyone's faults and find a resolution and rebirth in all this mess.

As for Cyclops becoming a villain, we saw it coming. He been becoming more and more narrow-minded with his goals and has shut off his moral compass to accomplish his self appointed mission. And in the same way Magneto felt he was right and knew what was best for his with the PF Cyclops with his control freak tendencies turned to 11 and instead of solving the problem they started with he is trying fix the world to his liking. Cyclops in now a much better anti-villain. i can't wait to see where he ends up now.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.