The Difference Between Regular & Omega Level Mutants

#1 Posted by Retro_Metro (368 posts) - - Show Bio

I been wondering this for some time,is omega level like a secondary level of mutation(like a level 2/ascended stage) in the X-Men Universe? If It is then how many could there be? It has been something I been pondering about for a long time.

#2 Posted by allthatsgeek (127 posts) - - Show Bio

It's power level. Omega level mutants have the power, or the potential to reach, the highest levels of known power for mutants.

#3 Posted by Rickbarry (1797 posts) - - Show Bio

Omega level mutants are essentially walking plot devices that somehow develop powers that are convienent for defeating overpowered villains.

#4 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

Basically, Omega level mutants are mutants whose powers could cause global catastrophe level events. Robert Drake, for example, if he focused and trained enough, could cause serious problems for the world with blizzards and such. Franklin Richards is obvious. Etc. Normal mutant's powers are usually isolated to a certain range. While powerful within that range, if they can't cause a global catastrophe, they're not Omega Level.

#5 Posted by Dman1366 (637 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rickbarry said:

Omega level mutants are essentially walking plot devices that somehow develop powers that are convienent for defeating overpowered villains.

hahahaha god damn Rick, you always make me laugh. Remember our seinfeld quotes? priceless

#6 Posted by lorex (955 posts) - - Show Bio
@JonSmith said:

Basi call y, Omega level mutants are mutants whose powers could cause global catastrophe level events. Robert Drake, for example, if he focused and trained enough, could cause serious problems for the world w ith blizzards and such. Franklin Richards is obvious. Etc. Normal mutant's powers are usually isolated to a certain range. While powerful w it hin that range, if they can't cause a global catastrophe, they're not Omega Level.

Just to add to that I always thought an Omega level mutant has to potential to end the world. I always thought Magneto should be at Omega level, I mean he can manipulate the Earths magnetic field which protects us from solar radiation. Potential for disaster there.
#7 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

I was under the impression that omega level mutants had unlimited potential, but I might be wrong

#8 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

@lorex: I was under the impression he WAS at Omega Level.

#9 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

Uh, most of the definitions given (excluding Rick's, because he's actually right) aren't exactly getting to the point. Basically, Omega = Unlimited power. Regular = Limited.

You can still be a "Regular" yet cause damage to the world, but, it's a limited amount.

#10 Edited by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

Just out of curiosity is there a difference in their genes that make them an Omega level? Or could "Alpha" level mutants eventually become omega level?

#11 Posted by arcano_19 (118 posts) - - Show Bio

those mutants that control energy(xavier cyclops magneto storm) are alpha cause they get tired at some moment, yet they are too damn strong but no omega level strong

#12 Posted by PurpleCandy (773 posts) - - Show Bio

Regular = Eh

Omega = Holy shit!!

#13 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

@Retro_Metro: what are the other classes called and know theres alpha and omega

#14 Edited by Retro_Metro (368 posts) - - Show Bio

There's Beta,Zeta,and Phi(Like the Greek Numerals). But,those are all I know as of right now. Makes me wonder why Mr.Immortal is so strong.

#15 Posted by cattlebattle (12820 posts) - - Show Bio
@HopesummersFORtheFUTURE said:

There's Beta,Zeta,and Phi(Like the Greek Numerals). But,those are all I know as of right now. Makes me wonder why Mr.Immortal is so strong.

There are no actual classes other than Omega level, delineations like Alpha, Beta etc. are all fan suggested. They don't actually exist
#16 Posted by LordOfAllHumans (4173 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

There are no actual classes other than Omega level, delineations like Alpha, Beta etc. are all fan suggested. They don't actually exist

There have been references of mutant levels outside of Omega in comics. Alpha level mutants were especially popular in the 90s, (not clearly defined as Wolverine to Cyclops and even Nate Grey have been considered alpha level something) and Jean Greys niece and nephew were classified Epsilon-Delta level mutants which marked them as latent mutant.

#17 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

there has been no defention if this. All we know is that

Omega Level Mutants just means super duper powerful

Alpha level just means powerful.

#18 Posted by cattlebattle (12820 posts) - - Show Bio
@LordOfAllHumans said:

@cattlebattle said:

There have been references of mutant levels outside of Omega in comics. Alpha level mutants were especially popular in the 90s, (not clearly defined as Wolverine to Cyclops and even Nate Grey have been considered alpha level something) and Jean Greys niece and nephew were classified Epsilon-Delta level mutants which marked them as latent mutant.

Well color me corrected. I have never actually read somebody being called that, and most of what I have read about the subject on wikias seems a little far fetched too.
#19 Posted by Hyperlight (5910 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith: most alpha levels... especially alpha level energy manipulators can cause global catastrophies....

#20 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

Omegas tend to specialize in housing entities of infinite power......because they were designed for that.

#21 Posted by Roddy010 (5257 posts) - - Show Bio

Omega just simply means unlimited Potential, that's all. Alpha level, though powerful, are limited to the amount of power they can output. Omega lvl mutants don't worry about limitation because they have an unlimited supply of power. Jean Grey can tap into an unlimited supply of psionic energy same as Rachel. Bobby can tap into large quantities of water molecules and thermal energy to the point that he can exist beyond human physicality. Vulcan manipulates multiple forms of energy of energy which makes him omega lvl. Storm and Magneto are two extremely powerful Alpha lvl but they are limited to top the amount of power they exert. Storm for example has gathered the energies of a galactic core but in order for her to do this she had to be in this environment. She wouldn't be able to replicate this feat on earth. That's where the limitation comes in. Omega's don't have this problem because they can tap into that power source and get however ever much they need at any time, in any place. I hope this helped.

#22 Posted by fesak (7056 posts) - - Show Bio

There is no alpha mutants, as someone said before that's fanmade. Could be that it comes from the cartoons or similar, but it's never been in canon comics.

#23 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10545 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roddy010 said:

Omega just simply means unlimited Potential, that's all. Alpha level, though powerful, are limited to the amount of power they can output. Omega lvl mutants don't worry about limitation because they have an unlimited supply of power. Jean Grey can tap into an unlimited supply of psionic energy same as Rachel. Bobby can tap into large quantities of water molecules and thermal energy to the point that he can exist beyond human physicality. Vulcan manipulates multiple forms of energy of energy which makes him omega lvl. Storm and Magneto are two extremely powerful Alpha lvl but they are limited to top the amount of power they exert. Storm for example has gathered the energies of a galactic core but in order for her to do this she had to be in this environment. She wouldn't be able to replicate this feat on earth. That's where the limitation comes in. Omega's don't have this problem because they can tap into that power source and get however ever much they need at any time, in any place. I hope this helped.

I don't think that they have been confirmed Alpha's though right? I thought these two have not yet been classified this point (i.e. - omega level potential or suspected omegas).

#24 Posted by Roddy010 (5257 posts) - - Show Bio

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@Roddy010 said:

I don't think that they have been confirmed Alpha's though right? I thought these two have not yet been classified this point (i.e. - omega level potential or suspected omegas).

Well IIRC Apocalypse referred to himself as an Alpha lvl mutant as well as each member of The Twelve excluding the ones who were confirmed omega. But I could be wrong.

#25 Edited by unicornpuncher (418 posts) - - Show Bio

Here is a good guide from another website that explains it all.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/x-men-mutant-classifications-120113.html

#26 Posted by Dayvid3 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

I'm pretty sure the Alpha designation was in AOA. I don't know about 616.

#27 Posted by The Stegman (24629 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rickbarry:  

This is the correct answer.
#28 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

Omegas have a secret handshake and get Buy 1 Get 1 Free chicken sandwiches at Chik-Fil-A

#29 Posted by Dayvid3 (807 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

@Retro_Metro said:

The only mutant classification that I know of being officially used in comics is Omega.

Not sure if the Alpha/Beta/Gamma/Delta/Zeta thing is cannon.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.