Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Sunspot, Wolfsbane and Longshot in Uncanny ?

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Eeshaan1685

I think Scott's team needs a good marksman, so Longshot should join. Sunspot needs to be there as an all-round heavy-hitter, along with Wolfsbane as the team's feral member/tracker.

The students are all well & good, but theyre just students. The faculty could really use some reinforcements IMHO.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I think Scott's team needs a good marksman, so Longshot should join. Sunspot needs to be there as an all-round heavy-hitter, along with Wolfsbane as the team's feral member/tracker.

The students are all well & good, but theyre just students. The faculty could really use some reinforcements IMHO.

I like those characters, but I disagree.

Part of what I like about Cyclops' new team is that they aren't very superhero-y. That they all have weird powers that, while not being original, aren't just traditional super powered stuff (like strength, speed, flight, etc..) is a big part of what makes them distinct and intriguing as a group. Adding other characters with more traditional power sets seems like it would just water down what makes them special, make them more like other teams, and make them less compelling overall.

Maybe Longshot's powers would fit with this group, but it seems like there should be a better story reason for a character to join than what their powers are anyway.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My problem with this, is that Scott doesn't really have a "team". It's more of a faction with supporters and followers.

I like Wolfsbane, and i'd think she would make an interesting ally for the group....but i think even Kitty sharing a base with them is awkward for what the book is seemingly moving toward.

Perhaps if it came to an all out open conflict with Shield then these would be great draft picks for Cyke but not now.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By HAWK2916

You cant be starting a revolution with a bunch of kiddie's. To me this book is holding fast to that ridiculous schism and regulating Scott to a position where it seems that only newly emerged mutant kids would follow him is a bit ridiculous.

Scott's team needs more people and they can continue to train the kids but some actual Xmen would be great. I still would like to see Warpath and Magma join. I would love to see Rachel come over too as well as maybe Frenzy or Monet. I cant believe that Dani Moonstar wouldn't be on Scott's side right now either. Kitty and Emma and even Rachel could be featured training the newbies and maybe even Scott on occasion like what happened in Academy X but the revolutionary stuff should be about real Xmen.

For me we can send the O5 back and let All New be about the actual new kids.

Wolfsbane should be in Xfactor. Sunspot would be cool there as well at least over Cypher and Warlock (ugghhh!) Longshot I really dont care for. To me Xmen is about mutants not 4 fingered made up extra dimensional characters. I'd let Longshot go to limbo or maybe he could join Xforce, I certainly would rather him than Fantomex

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

You cant be starting a revolution with a bunch of kiddie's. To me this book is holding fast to that ridiculous schism and regulating Scott to a position where it seems that only newly emerged mutant kids would follow him is a bit ridiculous.

Scott's team needs more people and they can continue to train the kids but some actual Xmen would be great. I still would like to see Warpath and Magma join. I would love to see Rachel come over too as well as maybe Frenzy or Monet. I cant believe that Dani Moonstar wouldn't be on Scott's side right now either.

That sounds like it would make it just like any other X-men book rather than the distinct kind of team this book already has.

Am I the only one who thinks it's cool that there's no super-strong/fast/flying/etc.. characters on this team?

I think Bendis has actually done a great job making this team really different from other X-men/superhero-type teams. The new characters might not be crazy original individually, but as a group they represent a fairly unique and intriguing set of powers that sets them out side of the normal superhero team dynamic.

But everyone seems to want to stick in some unused superman characters just because they aren't being used elsewhere; can people really not appreciate this book for being different?

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By frozenedge2

I doubt Sunspot is gonna leave the big leagues just to become an outlaw. Same with Wolfsbane seeing how she just lost her son and seems to have quit the heroics thing for now. Longshot is a possibility though seeing how he's sometimes outside of the law. The other two definitely wouldn't make sense on the Uncanny team though

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Considering the premise of an outlaw team going against the so called establishment it would make sense that you'd have sime experience and some heavy hitters. It also would make sense that not everybody would abandon the man thats been leading them forever and follow Wolverine. I think a book can be distinct, different and seperate based on its premise and mission statement. It doesnt have to be weird or off base to be unique. The actions after Schism and AVX make that side distinct enough without any gimmicks. After all theyve done and been through Cyclops, Emma, Magik and Magneto running around with a bunch of kids just seems a liytle disrespectful imo. Like I said training the newbies is fine but imo it shouldnt be the flagship book that Cyclops is in. If its All New then fine bit typically for some sort of revolution you want experience and some amount of trust. There should be more on Cyclops side than it is.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

@oldnightcrawler: Considering

1. the premise of an outlaw team going against the so called establishment it would make sense that you'd have sime experience and some heavy hitters.
    2. It also would make sense that not everybody would abandon the man thats been leading them forever and follow Wolverine.
    3. I think a book can be distinct, different and seperate based on its premise and mission statement. It doesnt have to be weird or off base to be unique.
    4. The actions after Schism and AVX make that side distinct enough without any gimmicks.
    5. After all theyve done and been through Cyclops, Emma, Magik and Magneto running around with a bunch of kids just seems a liytle disrespectful imo.
    6. Like I said training the newbies is fine but imo it shouldnt be the flagship book that Cyclops is in.

If its All New then fine bit typically for some sort of revolution you want experience and some amount of trust. There should be more on Cyclops side than it is.

1. this team has both of those things.

2. I don't think very many of the other X-men would consider themselves to be following Wolverine just because they aren't following Cyclops. Maybe some of the students.

3. I agree, but I still appreciate it when it is. With as many X-men books as there are, there should be more be more diversity of tone, aesthetic, sensibility, and character. This book has been really distinct since day one, and I think that's a good thing.

4. I agree, but I don't think of rescuing and training new mutants as being a gimmick to the X-men, since that's kind of what they've always been about. And being less superhero-y doesn't have to be a gimmick either; not all X-men books need to be equally superhero-y.

5. I disagree, I think it's an interesting direction for all of them.

6. just because Cyclops is in it doesn't make it the flagship title. X-Factor wasn't the flagship when he was on that team in the 80's. This book's more like that, or like this era's Generation X. Which, coincidentally, were the last two book we saw Cyclops and Emma, respectively, actually actively rescuing and training new mutants. For me this book's more in the tradition of those two than it is most other X-men books.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

@oldnightcrawler: Considering the premise of an outlaw team going against the so called establishment it would make sense that you'd have sime experience and some heavy hitters. It also would make sense that not everybody would abandon the man thats been leading them forever and follow Wolverine. I think a book can be distinct, different and seperate based on its premise and mission statement. It doesnt have to be weird or off base to be unique. The actions after Schism and AVX make that side distinct enough without any gimmicks. After all theyve done and been through Cyclops, Emma, Magik and Magneto running around with a bunch of kids just seems a liytle disrespectful imo. Like I said training the newbies is fine but imo it shouldnt be the flagship book that Cyclops is in. If its All New then fine bit typically for some sort of revolution you want experience and some amount of trust. There should be more on Cyclops side than it is.

Longshot fills the description of 'unconventional' mutants without super strength/speed etc. that oldnightcrawler is talking about. He's a skilled Marksman, he knows not to look at things from a completely black/white perspective and his old girlfriend is captured by Mystique so that should be enough incentive for him to join Cyke.

boschePG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@avenger85: funny you mention them cuz I was writing in a notebook of who should fit with what team and I did place Wolfsbane and Longshot with Cyclops.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oldnightcrawler

Longshot fills the description of 'unconventional' mutants without super strength/speed etc. that oldnightcrawler is talking about. He's a skilled Marksman, he knows not to look at things from a completely black/white perspective and his old girlfriend is captured by Mystique so that should be enough incentive for him to join Cyke.

I was just about to say, Longshot might fit the unconventional power-set, but what would be his reason for joining?

But that's actually not such a bad place to start. And it's not like Longshot's any stranger to being an outlaw revolutionary, having lead the revolution to overthrow Mojo. Maybe he could work.

I still think the team's plenty interesting as it is, and would rather see it focus on the members they have, but I can concede that Longshot could work if they played the story a certain way.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HAWK2916

Meh... I'd rather have Domino over Longshot. I mean like I said Longshot would be preferable for me over Fantomex. But for Uncanny, I just dont see it. I just dont really go too much for the other dimensional or other world characters. To each his own but personally I just feel like Warpath, Magma, Rachel Grey and Frenzy would be great fits and be part of an interesting dynamic on the Uncanny team. Wolfsbane and Sunspot would be money in All New Xfactor at least more so than Cypher and Warlock, though I havent seen them yet, Ive always hated both characters.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

Meh... I'd rather have Domino over Longshot. I mean like I said Longshot would be preferable for me over Fantomex. But for Uncanny, I just dont see it. I just dont really go too much for the other dimensional or other world characters.

I agree, Domino does seem like a better fit than Longshot.

To each his own but personally I just feel like Warpath, Magma, Rachel Grey and Frenzy would be great fits and be part of an interesting dynamic on the Uncanny team.

it sounds more like you just want a book to be about these characters than you've actually considered what this book is doing, or given it a chance based on it's own merits.

Not that I can't appreciate that since a.) this book is obviously not for everyone, and b.) Warpath, Rachel Grey, and even Magma are all great, mostly underused characters. Personally I'm liking Rachel's role on Storm's team, and wouldn't mind seeing some of the characters you mentioned being there, but I feel any of them would either distract from or be wasted in this book.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: I have given Bendis numerous chances and have been largely disappointed everytime. I wasnt thrilled at all about him coming over from Avengers but Ive given it a chance and it still doesnt change my opinion. Why cant the flagship book from Cyclops side of the Schism and continuing Gillens idea for a team not feature established characters joining a revolution? All New could be the book you seem to want where the stuff currently happening in Uncanny with the newbies could occur. I mean Wolverine and Storm are in all these books and Cyclops is just as important and relevant as them if not more so. Whats wrong with restructuring the layout of the books is all Im saying.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, something important needs to happen in UXM before more important members join it. in #19, seems like everyone forgot that the O5 got kidnapped, or even existed at all. No mention whatsoever.

Not even the slightest bit of concern. "So the O5 got kidnapped and all of existence might be at risk. but naw, lets just flail around and play more games with Maria Hill. The O5 will handle themselves".

Had this issue happened right after BOTA's final issue, it would have made no difference at all.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, something important needs to happen in UXM before more important members join it. in #19, seems like everyone forgot that the O5 got kidnapped, or even existed at all. No mention whatsoever.

Not even the slightest bit of concern. "So the O5 got kidnapped and all of existence might be at risk. but naw, lets just flail around and play more games with Maria Hill. The O5 will handle themselves".

I just assumed that story would be played out in All-New X-Men (which I would prefer since I don't really give a toss about the "O5"), and that this issue takes place after they've returned from that. And, if that's the case, you wouldn't want to spoil that story for people who are reading both books, right?

@hawk2916 said:

@oldnightcrawler: I have given Bendis numerous chances and have been largely disappointed everytime. I wasnt thrilled at all about him coming over from Avengers but Ive given it a chance and it still doesnt change my opinion. Why cant the flagship book from Cyclops side of the Schism and continuing Gillens idea for a team not feature established characters joining a revolution? All New could be the book you seem to want where the stuff currently happening in Uncanny with the newbies could occur. I mean Wolverine and Storm are in all these books and Cyclops is just as important and relevant as them if not more so. Whats wrong with restructuring the layout of the books is all Im saying.

I think the main thing is that this isn't the flagship book and isn't meant to be. Cyclops' team are meant to be the outsiders and underdogs even to the other X-men, that's kind of the thing, so the more established characters featured there, the more it would water down that idea.

I mean, if you don't like that idea, you don't, and I'm not going to try to change your mind. But personally I'm glad to see Cyclops' crew taken in this direction, outside of the context of what the other X-men are doing.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: I would disagree. This is the flagship book for the other side of the stupid schism. People seem to forget that Wolverine is not the be all end all and that there are two sides to this so called difference in ideology. This is the only book that features someone not hanging on and swinging from the hairy canadian runt's jock strap. The use of characters more established or ones not currenty being featured or ones who have always been overlooked in the past fits the idea of outcast and underdogs. Tell me a depowered character like Dani Moonstar or a character with questionable sanity like Husk or Polaris or even someone like Sage or Karma wouldnt fit the underdog outcast statis. You constantly tell me my criticisms are unwarranted and arbitrary but my criticism is of the writer and his choices. Bendis' stories can be disjointed and needlessly convoluted. The creation of new characters when we have 8-10 x-books now that still dont feature many of the so-called xmen is a criticism I would lob at not only Bendis but any other writer who would rather create new characters with silly or redundant powers rather than use characters already there and somewhat established

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

@oldnightcrawler: I would disagree. This is the flagship book for the other side of the stupid schism. People seem to forget that Wolverine is not the be all end all and that there are two sides to this so called difference in ideology.

There are two sides, but it isn't Cyclops' side vs. Wolverine's side, it's Cyclops side vs. the other X-men's. And the Avengers. And SHIELD. Basically it's Cyclops' X-men verses everyone else, but in a way that he's still somewhat heroic, I guess.

The use of characters more established or ones not currenty being featured or ones who have always been overlooked in the past fits the idea of outcast and underdogs. Tell me a depowered character like Dani Moonstar or a character with questionable sanity like Husk or Polaris or even someone like Sage or Karma wouldnt fit the underdog outcast statis. You constantly tell me my criticisms are unwarranted and arbitrary but my criticism is of the writer and his choices. Bendis' stories can be disjointed and needlessly convoluted. The creation of new characters when we have 8-10 x-books now that still dont feature many of the so-called xmen is a criticism I would lob at not only Bendis but any other writer who would rather create new characters with silly or redundant powers rather than use characters already there and somewhat established

I actually totally agree with this part, and I have to admit that I'd have a way easier time accepting more established characters if they were more characters like these than some of the more superhero-y characters you suggested.

That said, I'm still more interested in seeing what he'll do with the team he has more than I care if anyone else joins or not.

I'm digging Bendis' characters, and the characters in the new WatX-men, more than I care if I see Angel or Iceman or Havok or Polaris or most of the original New Mutants, or most of the new X-men, etc..

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.