Starting to read Uncanny X-Men

#1 Posted by D34dM4n (79 posts) - - Show Bio

so i have been thinking about getting into Uncanny X-Men for a while now, but I don't really know where to jump in. the series is like 3 decades old at this point or something so i cant really go back and read all of it, but i am will to read a couple hundred issues to catch-up. any suggestions on where to start from??

#2 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

That's a hard one...  There are so many X-Men titles, and they're all tied together with many different story lines.  So, where to jump in depends on what other X-Men titles you're reading... But, Off the top of my head, I'm thinking around issue 460...  That is before M-day, the Vulcan war, Messiah complex, Necrosha, Nation X, and Generation Hope.  I 'think' if you start around 460 you'll be able to follow the important stories of the last 5 to 7 years or so...

#3 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

I say start reading from issue 444

#4 Posted by pinchworm (22 posts) - - Show Bio

@ageofhurricane What makes you say 444, specifically?

#5 Posted by harleyquinn12 (1767 posts) - - Show Bio

You can really jump in now. I started reading Uncanny with issue 535, and i only have basic knowledge of the characters.
#6 Edited by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio
@pinchworm: 444 mainly because it kicks of the new era of X-Men hence why it was titled as "The New Age", its kind of like a .1 issue except it doesn't give a big introduction as to where the Story is heading or where it came from, 444 brings in a new team of X-Men as well as some new faces, it also kick started Claremonts second run (which didnt last that long) as well as some neat story-arcs and IMO? he's a good writer (maybe a little too wordy?) so you'll be sure to enjoy it.
#7 Posted by D34dM4n (79 posts) - - Show Bio

k, so i have read up to 460. some people got back from the Savage Lands and a lot of stuff happened, like Wolverine going rogue. did this stuff happen in other X-Men books or it just kinda happened (if anyone knows)

#8 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Pinchworm is right... I checked it out today because someone asked this on another thread...  Uncanny X-Men 444 is a good place to start.. It's right after a major event (Xorn) and has a lot of the X-Men back together...  I also recommend that you read New X-Men vol 2 which started about the same time...  It has only 46 issues and then it becomes X-Men Legacy #208... 

#9 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio

i started at the extremist story line, but stopped at issue #499 becasue their were so many X-titles i felt like their was too much going on but got a lend of some of my friends stuff and now i'm catching up, recently picked up lovelorn and probably get sisterhood in the next day or two

#10 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio
@Timandm: Dont you mean AgeofHurricane? -_- lol
#11 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@AgeofHurricane: In the words of Homer, "DOH!!!"   LOL... Yes, I meant AgeofHurricane

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.