Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Soooo...are the O5 ever going back?

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Thunderscream

I was a skeptic when the Beast brought them to the present, kinda drifted in and out of the X-titles. I loved the Battle of the Atom's crazy confusion and just hopped in there...but always had it in the back of my mind that even if the O5 do go back to the exact moment they were extracted from time and try to live out their lives as predetermined by their future (our present) selves ....even unintentional glitches could dramatically alter the course of history. Like so many books and movies...I just don't think they have a clear vision of how to end any of this poetically. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations. The O5 are out in space encountering all manner of fantastic and inexplicable technology and interstellar life forms and they're supposed to reassimilate into 60s society without making a ripple. Maybe that in itself is the story they should tell post GotG. Or maybe they could somehow be merged with their present selves. In the MU, merging doesn't sound terribly far fetched. Would the fused consciousness of past and present Cyclops turn himself in for his Phoenix-induced murder of Professor X? Would Iceman be more or less likely to become one of the most powerful mutants on the planet? Would Archangel salvage at least a portion of the man he once was? Would Beast still be incredibly charming and brainy? (the answer to that one is yes.) Would there at least be some semblance of a 616 Jean Grey alive and powerful and an integral catalyst for the Jean Grey school's success? And Wolverine and Jean finally get together ...I'm conceding on this one. Hate the idea, but after all the friggin' googly eyes...might as well just go there for Odin's sake. Not an alternate universe Jean or an illusion or a shapeshifter. Jean and Logan together...with a defeated Cyclops. You know you wanna see it.

Or....y'know, something like that.

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By HexThis

There are too many redundancies in having two versions of 4 characters especially with such a flimsy concept of time and parallel universes. Marvel makes a point of having alternate timelines like AoA or Days of Future Past based on decisions and their alternatives, their effects on the world and how they deviate from 616. It shouldn't matter what happens O5 as far as 616 is concerned because it will just create an alternate universe, not make Cyclops disappear like in "Back to the Future". Also, Cyke wouldn't just "disappear", the whole world would briefly change because the ripple effect would be so great.

Marvel promoted this whole thing on the premise it would be the authentic Jean Grey's return and only sort of was. Frankly, I think Jean was the entire motivation for this but it's clearly gotten out of hand because now they're creating a temporal mess of the O5 by having them soooo involved with the X-men. I say, send them back NOW and have Jean's telepathic powers retain some memories in order to come up with some way to bring herself back.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

@thunderscream:

Ok guys i am not saying what i want here, but the O5 are here to stay. You see its like Dark Beast for example they bring him in, he plays a role in an important story then fades they will do the same thing with these guys I'm sure

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope that is not true about the O5 staying. This is idea was one of the most ridiculously contrived premises Ive seen. I basically try to act like this doesnt exist. I hope that this gets scrapped somewhere someway somehow. If nobody can come up with any better ideas than this we just need to push the button on a complete and drastic reboot

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By dernman

Granted the book has interested me for the most part (Not the crossover with the future X-Men trying to make them go back) but if he they do stay that would be horrible idea. By doing that 616 stops being 616 and becomes an alternate future for the 616 past in which didn't have the original X-Men.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 05 aren't staying because outside of the "correct the future" storyline they serve no role within the X-Men aside from their own stories. Eventually after the novelty of them experiencing the best and worst of the present has worn off, and they've maybe fought a major bad guy some how connected to their time travel, Marvel will cash in on the last important storyline they can tell using these characters: What happens when they go back?

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@koays said:

The 05 aren't staying because outside of the "correct the future" storyline they serve no role within the X-Men aside from their own stories. Eventually after the novelty of them experiencing the best and worst of the present has worn off, and they've maybe fought a major bad guy some how connected to their time travel, Marvel will cash in on the last important storyline they can tell using these characters: What happens when they go back?

pretty much.

but, honestly, I'd have no problem with them sticking around in their own book so long as it wasn't part of the other books.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

pretty much.

but, honestly, I'd have no problem with them sticking around in their own book so long as it wasn't part of the other books.

I was thinking the same thing after it seemed like this was going to last longer then the year and change i thought it would, but now that Cyclops is getting a spinoff my big problem is that Marvel might drag it out longer then necessary.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

I was thinking the same thing after it seemed like this was going to last longer then the year and change i thought it would, but now that Cyclops is getting a spinoff my big problem is that Marvel might drag it out longer then necessary.

which they'll do with anything if it's popular. If enough people want to read these versions of the characters, why not? as long as they don't have them in the other X-men books, it doesn't bother me one way or the other.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I like to ask a question...what is Bendis plans for the 05 X-Men? for a while it was my favorite book but then it felt after they were done exploring the future and seeing how they all turned out that the book just lost steam heading towards and after BOTA. So what is Bendis plan for them?

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Koays

@oldnightcrawler: I'm OK if All New X is treated like X - Factor where it's off in its own world, I'm even interested in where all new is going.

But I'd rather this idea not spread beyond its core book. Because then i feel its actually overtaking the franchise. It's like if x - force was still running two teams and magneto decided to start a 3rd....it's an idea best limited to one book instead of a franchise

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@koays said:

@oldnightcrawler: I'm OK if All New X is treated like X - Factor where it's off in its own world, I'm even interested in where all new is going. But I'd rather this idea not spread beyond its core book. Because then i feel its actually overtaking the franchise. It's like if x - force was still running two teams and magneto decided to start a 3rd.

Yeah, after reading Costa's story with them, I can totally see the appeal of having younger versions of the characters around, fighting aliens and mad scientists like they did in the 60's before the mutant thing was very central and the book was more about them being like the teen titans or whatever; they are good characters after all. It sort of reminds me of Ultimate Spider-Man in the way that it takes the characters back to their roots as teen heroes, but in a contemporary setting. There's lots you could do with that.

But, like Ultimate Spidey, they should keep the concept to it's own book; even if it is technically in the same world, it doesn't have to matter that it is if it never comes up..

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I honestly hope so. I love O5 Cyclops and Iceman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@thunderscream: I don't want to see any of the things you mentioned.

Though I do like the O5.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@oldnightcrawler: I'm OK if All New X is treated like X - Factor where it's off in its own world, I'm even interested in where all new is going. But I'd rather this idea not spread beyond its core book. Because then i feel its actually overtaking the franchise. It's like if x - force was still running two teams and magneto decided to start a 3rd.

Yeah, after reading Costa's story with them, I can totally see the appeal of having younger versions of the characters around, fighting aliens and mad scientists like they did in the 60's before the mutant thing was very central and the book was more about them being like the teen titans or whatever; they are good characters after all. It sort of reminds me of Ultimate Spider-Man in the way that it takes the characters back to their roots as teen heroes, but in a contemporary setting. There's lots you could do with that.

But, like Ultimate Spidey, they should keep the concept to it's own book; even if it is technically in the same world, it doesn't have to matter that it is if it never comes up..

Yea thats basically it. Because i do like the premise, and I was interested in them having an ongoing thing with the Purifiers and other mutant hate groups since other books aren't focusing on that and it would be interesting to see the 05 take on it. But when the time comes i'll be glad they went back. Having 2 or more books starring them just makes it harder to get rid of them when the time comes to wrap this up.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.