Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Someone Dies in Amazing X-Men #5?

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
    RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RaggedScarecrow

Marvel put out their solicitations for March earlier today (link) and while scrolling through I stumbled across this:

No Caption Provided

AMAZING X-MEN #5

JASON AARON (W) • ED MCGUINNESS (A/C)

• Nightcrawler and his pirate band of X-Men take on Azazel and his hellish hordes!

One of the X-Men must make the ultimate sacrifice!

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Five issues in and someone's already going to die? Seriously? Wow, okay then...

The big question, assuming the solicit actually means that someone is going to die and isn't blatant lies or immediately retconned, is: Who's gonna bite the dust?

Obviously, it's not going to be Wolverine. He's got like four other titles he's appearing in (2 solos, Uncanny Avengers, and Wolverine and the X-Men), so I'm pretty sure we can mark him down as safe. Nightcrawler isn't gonna get axed after just being reintroduced and Storm is an enormously popular and iconic character appearing in at least three titles (X-Men, Amazing X-Men, and Wolverine and the X-Men) so they're both safe.

This is where things get speculative.

Since Wolverine and the X-Men is being re-launched with more of a focus on the student body and New Avengers 13 has solicited "The gathering of a new Illuminati," the safety of Beast and Iceman is no longer assured. This means that of the remaining four characters, Beast, Firestar, Iceman, and Northstar, each of them is appearing in approximately 1 title each.

Firestar was just introduced to the X-Men in this series so it's possible she could die, thus leaving some of the more famous X-Men alive, but given that Aaron brought her into the title and the X-Men family specifically, it's doubtful that he would introduce her to the X-Men only to immediately kill her off.

Northstar, like Storm, is a very well-known character and was Marvel's First openly gay character, as well as their first gay character to be married (insert DC potshot here). Killing him might be suitable for story purposes but it would open Marvel up to allegations of homophobia (most likely baseless, but still potentially damaging).

Beast is one of the original five X-Men and appears in three titles (Wolverine and the X-Men, Amazing X-Men, and New Avengers). However, two of those titles appear to be undergoing cast changes so they do not assure his safety. Considering the damage he's done to the time stream by bringing the O5 forward, if he were to die now it might provide another obstacle for them to overcome when they eventually have to go back.

Iceman is also a member of the original X-Men and is currently appearing in two titles (Wolverine and the X-Men and Amazing X-Men) but, as with Beast, they do not assure his safety. If Aaron were to kill Iceman in an act of self-sacrifice, it could be a form of redemption for his nearly freezing the world in Astonishing X-Men.

Personally, I think it's going to be Beast because I've always viewed him and Nightcrawler as the "heart" of the X-Men, often being portrayed as highly moral, so it would make sense for Kurt to replace him. Of course that's just pure speculation based on a solicit of dubious veracity so I could be utterly wrong.

Which of the team do you think is likely to die, or do you think the solicit's lying and they'll live? And more importantly, how long will they stay dead?

comicbookfan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be more shocked if they didn't kill off a character ala Snyder death of the family but I think beast

numi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering his reaction to seeing how his future self turned out in BotA and the fact that he's responsible for a lot of the time stream mess, I could see Beast sacrificing himself as an act of atonement, much like Iceman from what happened in Astonishing. To be honest it could be either one but my money is leaning toward Beast since I think Firebird was brought in as a romantic interest for Iceman but that's me going out on a limb.

RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@numi said:

Considering his reaction to seeing how his future self turned out in BotA and the fact that he's responsible for a lot of the time stream mess, I could see Beast sacrificing himself as an act of atonement, much like Iceman from what happened in Astonishing. To be honest it could be either one but my money is leaning toward Beast since I think Firebird was brought in as a romantic interest for Iceman but that's me going out on a limb.

I get that too. Not sure how that romance will play out in the long run. Maybe if Beast dies, she tries comforting him at the funeral after he yells at Scott (who will inevitably teleport there). I'm still not sure how I feel about the two as a couple, but I'm not immediately opposed to the idea.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By adamTRMM
    frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

They could mean Nightcrawler himself to make a sacrifice. I mean what's bigger than giving up the chance of living someplace of eternal happiness?

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They could mean Nightcrawler himself to make a sacrifice. I mean what's bigger than giving up the chance of living someplace of eternal happiness?

Yes he gives up eternal happiness for going back to earth and being alove again, calling it now.

Jbreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jbreen

I think that would be a nice way for it to work.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#9  Edited By McKlayn

@frozenedge said:

Yes he gives up eternal happiness for going back to earth and being alove again, calling it now.

i think its kind of the opposite, i think Nightcrawler stays in Hell and Stays dead. Oldnightcrawler mentioned it in another thread about him only being here for the first arc and i actually see that making sense, i think nightcrawler is just to pull readers in and will be gone after the first arc so he will be the sacrifice

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn said:

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

@frozenedge said:

i think its kind of the opposite, i think Nightcrawler stays in Hell and Stays dead. Oldnightcrawler mentioned it in another thread about him only being here for the first arc and i actually see that making sense, i think nightcrawler is just to pull readers in and will be gone after the first arc so he will be the sacrifice

No i want nghtcrawler back alive already. Hes coming home. Didnt you see the preview pages of x-men:no more humans(new graphic novel only, cant collect them comic by comic). It looks like hes alive and on wolverines side.

http://www.comicvine.com/x-men/4060-3173/forums/x-men-face-moral-dilemma-in-no-more-humans-1519792/#11

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm thinking it's Firestar.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

I'm thinking it's Firestar.

Na-uh

RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn said:

@frozenedge said:

No i want nghtcrawler back alive already. Hes coming home. Didnt you see the preview pages of x-men:no more humans(new graphic novel only, cant collect them comic by comic). It looks like hes alive and on wolverines side.

http://www.comicvine.com/x-men/4060-3173/forums/x-men-face-moral-dilemma-in-no-more-humans-1519792/#11

Good point but there's no guarantee that X-Men: No More Humans is 616 canon. It could be an AU story.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn said:

@frozenedge said:

Good point but there's no guarantee that X-Men: No More Humans is 616 canon. It could be an AU story.

I guess we wont know till march, lol

RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RaggedScarecrow

@raggedscarecrow said:

@mcklayn said:

@frozenedge said:

I guess we wont know till march, lol

Agreed. As a sidenote, I'd like to point out that I practically giddy at the though of Mike Carey writing X-Men stories again.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn said:

@frozenedge said:

I just always assumed he would return alive though him winding up in Hell, possibly to keep as father from attempting to escape again would make sense. He did say he fell/leaped from Heaven and it would make a little more sense for him to be narrating how he ended up in Hell

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

@mcklayn said:

@frozenedge said:

I just always assumed he would return alive though him winding up in Hell, possibly to keep as father from attempting to escape again would make sense. He did say he fell/leaped from Heaven and it would make a little more sense for him to be narrating how he ended up in Hell

im not saying like 100 percent but thats just my guess, and i didn't know about this story either ima hav eto check it

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn said:

@frozenedge said:
    @mcklayn said:

@frozenedge said:

im not saying like 100 percent but thats just my guess, and i didn't know about this story either ima hav eto check it

Yea I know I'm just saying it actually makes sense. You should definitely read it though, the first two issues were pretty good

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#19 god_spawn  Moderator

5 issues in and someone really has to die?

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5 issues in and someone really has to die?

lol......Life in the comicbooks, I guess.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Who cares, it's comicbooks. They will be back some other time anyway.

And MARVEL solicitations are always horribly exaggerated.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good point. I think this is the likely way this will go.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

that's exactly what I thought too.

@mcklayn said:

I said it was just a hunch!

and, yeah, I've since noticed him in previews for other books, soo..

yeah.

:v

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Mercy_

Since when is dying in Marvel 'the ultimate sacrifice'. This book literally proves that it isn't.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope it's beast.

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

It will be Northstar if anyone. Hes by far the most expendable other than Firestar but I think Firestar will be sticking around for awhile.

Avatar image for deactivated-5baa5ef93cf0f
    deactivated-5baa5ef93cf0f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_ said:

Since when is dying in Marvel 'the ultimate sacrifice'. This book literally proves that it isn't.

So true.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

When I hear sacrafice I kinda guess it had to do with Kurt giving up his time in the after life and he will come back with the rest of the X-Men to the land of the living.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rubear

I totally agree and it could be very resonant move...

@noj said:

It will be Northstar if anyone. Hes by far the most expendable.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear said:

I totally agree and it could be very resonant move...

@noj said:

It will be Northstar if anyone. Hes by far the most expendable.

resonant how?

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler said:

resonant how?

It would be different from making more gays from established characters (Alan Scott, Prodigy) and gay-versions of characters (Wolverine from Extreme X-men, Ultimate Colossus) and this would be surprising because people think about other characters (Hank, Kurt). This sudden sacrifice would cause not yawns, but genuine feelings.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Making the ultimate sacrifice =/= death

It's a solicit, they're trying to convince the reader to BUY the issue. They have been using this tactic since the beginning of comics!

I'm sorry but this is a tad bit of a major overreaction. Jason Aaron has been writing a fun, child-friendly, X-Men series, he's not going to end the first arc with someones death. If anything the "ultimate sacrifice" will be Nightcrawler giving up his right to heaven to be alive again. He trades in HEAVEN for LIFE. That's the ULTIMATE SACRIFICE.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear said:

It would be different from making more gays from established characters (Alan Scott, Prodigy) and gay-versions of characters (Wolverine from Extreme X-men, Ultimate Colossus) and this would be surprising because people think about other characters (Hank, Kurt). This sudden sacrifice would cause not yawns, but genuine feelings.

I guess it would.. I would hate it, myself.

Besides that Northstar's a favorite of mine, they've already killed him and brought him back at least once. That makes me think that his death would be just for shock value or controversy or whatever, at the expense of a classic and fairly singular character.

I'm sure more than a few people would be put off by it because he's their first mainstream superhero who was gay, having been written to be gay since the early 80's (though they couldn't overtly say so, the early issues of Alpha Flight do make convincing evidence). Repeatedly killing your marquee homosexual character, in a genre where they're already rare, it does seem a bit crass.

To me, who grew up seeing him as a cool, French-Canadian superman* before I ever knew that he was gay, it would just seem like a further waste of one of my favorite, classic characters.

(*and, yeah, I understand the irony of saying Canadian Superman..)

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Beast?

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_ said:

Since Jean Grey in the Dark Phoenix Saga ....lol

JROCK72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

I'm not sure any of the X-Men are going to die, as each characters have other things to sacrifice besides there life. Maybe one must bargain their powers or something. Who knows....

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sell is soul to the devil to get free??? Has to go on a quest to find his soul on earth??? Oh wait its starting to sound like magik....lol

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raggedscarecrow:

Oh i got it nightcrawler leaves heaven which is the ulimate sacrifice and he also has to stop being a catholic priest.

@jrock72

I'm not sure any of the X-Men are going to die, as each characters have other things to sacrifice besides there life. Maybe one must bargain their powers or something. Who knows....

Wolverine has to gice up his healing factor??? cool

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.