So whats the deal with Siryn/Banshee?

#1 Edited by HAWK2916 (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

I was wondering if some of you X-factor fans could clear something up for me.

Is Siryn now a God and if so what is her power? Did she have to die to become Morrigan? Did she kill the former Morrigan? Is there anyway she can return to a team? Also I thought the Celtic God's weren't really gods at all and live on Avalon, whats the relation between Avalon and the Celtic Gods and Asgard?

#2 Posted by papad1992 (6811 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916 said:

I was wondering if some of you X-factor fans could clear something up for me.

Is Siryn now a God and if so what is her power? Did she have to die to become Morrigan? Did she kill the former Morrigan? Is there anyway she can return to a team? Also I thought the Celtic God's weren't really gods at all and live on Avalon, whats the relation between Avalon and the Celtic Gods and Asgard?

Wow you have a lot of questions... Umm, we have a few more issues left till the series is cancelled so I'm assuming she will be a cliffhanger. But she did not die, more like she inherited Morrigan's position.

#3 Edited by oldnightcrawler (3419 posts) - - Show Bio

The Morrigan, like other Banshees, is a figure whose role is associated with the terror of imminent death. One translation of Morrigan supposedly stems from the same word as terror. More unique among Banshees is that she (or they) also represents the greatness of valor, even and especially in the face of imminent death.

If a writer wanted to stay more true to the mythology, it makes me think that a story would need a pretty dark and epic struggle to make any sense of her presence in it. I could see that making it hard to use her character in the conventional dynamic of an ensemble cast; but who knows.. a good writer might be able to find an interesting way for her personality to develop based on this new role.

#4 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anyone know if she's coming back though? Like she just left...

#5 Posted by papad1992 (6811 posts) - - Show Bio

The Morrigan, like other Banshees, is a figure whose role is associated with the terror of imminent death. One translation of Morrigan supposedly stems from the same word as terror. More unique among Banshees is that she (or they) also represents the greatness of valor, even and especially in the face of imminent death.

If a writer wanted to stay more true to the mythology, it makes me think that a story would need a pretty dark and epic struggle to make any sense of her presence in it. I could see that making it hard to use her character in the conventional dynamic of an ensemble cast; but who knows.. a good writer might be able to find an interesting way for her personality to develop based on this new role.

I thought it was totally out of the blue and unnecessary! I don't like her new "transformation" and I hope it gets reverted. But with little to no issues left before the series ends, I fear that her fate will be left to whatever book contains these characters after the series concludes!

#6 Posted by papad1992 (6811 posts) - - Show Bio

Like I've said previously... the series is ending and I hope Peter David brings her back before the end, but only time will tell. These characters are receiving so much development in these last few issues (Wolfsbane, Longshot, Shatterstar, Strong Guy, and Rictor)... it's amazing how much Peter can jam into one issue.

#7 Posted by oldnightcrawler (3419 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: I thought so too, and it was around the time I was getting tired of the book anyway, as much as it saddens me to say, so losing one of my favorite cast members to what seemed like a really random character overhaul didn't really help. Maybe someone will be able to reinvent her in an interesting way because of this change after it's all over, but I really don't know what David could have been thinking with this change other than to retire the character as some sort of immortal.

#8 Posted by BaBaBoom (274 posts) - - Show Bio

It'll probably take a few years before she comes back. Just assume that she is now in limbo.

#9 Posted by oldnightcrawler (3419 posts) - - Show Bio

@bababoom said:

@madame_mist said:

It'll probably take a few years before she comes back. Just assume that she is now in limbo.

in Limbo? does she live inside of Magik now? :D

#10 Posted by BaBaBoom (274 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by PATTX (64 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope they're related in the movie too

#12 Posted by papad1992 (6811 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: I thought so too, and it was around the time I was getting tired of the book anyway, as much as it saddens me to say, so losing one of my favorite cast members to what seemed like a really random character overhaul didn't really help. Maybe someone will be able to reinvent her in an interesting way because of this change after it's all over, but I really don't know what David could have been thinking with this change other than to retire the character as some sort of immortal.

I agree. Maybe she can help Guido out of his situation... you know, as the new Lord of Hell.

#21 Posted by papad1992 (6811 posts) - - Show Bio

Whoa... I don't know what happened there! It posted my reply like 10 times!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.