so what good stories have i missed out on?

#1 Posted by bigtewell (749 posts) - - Show Bio

ive read all of claremonts run and i read age of apocalypse.

ive read morrisons and astonishing up to the point where the art got crappy and they made wolverine look like a giant.

ive also read house of m and avx

and ive read all of uncanny all new and the female xmen

so what stories have i missed out on that were good and please keep them modern. like nothing before 2000 and id prefer them to be after or at least around the time of morrisons run

#2 Posted by Xwraith (16926 posts) - - Show Bio

Have you read Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force? If not, you should (but avoid the Marvel Now book with the same title).

#3 Posted by bigtewell (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith: yes ive read it it was amazing!! i was just bummed that angel got the shaft since hes been my fav xmen since i started

#4 Posted by The Stegman (23817 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

Have you read Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force? If not, you should (but avoid the Marvel Now book with the same title).

I also liked Kyle and Yost's X-Force too.

#5 Edited by batmannflash (6210 posts) - - Show Bio

idk I think you've covered all of the "modern" X-Men stories

#6 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4423 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Edited by CheeseSticks (2443 posts) - - Show Bio

The trilogy of Messiah Complex, Messiah War and Second Coming was pretty good IMO even if some people didn't love it. Second Coming last battle was the best fight action we've had in a very long time.

X-Force by Kyle and Yost like someone said.

Just stay away from anything since Marvel Now. Bendis and Aaron are ruining the X-Men. Don't buy the Battle of the Atom arc it's terrible. Well, any story including the time-traveled 05 are terrible.

You've covered pretty much every good X-Stories with Joss Whedon run, AoA and Claremont run.

#8 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4423 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't buy the Battle of the Atom arc it's terrible. Well, any story including the time-traveled 05 are terrible.

have you read The Arms of The Octopus? because it's great :v

it's what everyone should've read instead of BotA..

#9 Posted by CheeseSticks (2443 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: I hate Hulk, i think the new 05 are useless, so no i didn't and i won't read it :P

#10 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4423 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: I hate Hulk, i think the new 05 are useless, so no i didn't and i won't read it :P

then you have proven your opinion to be both biased and uninformed. :0

#11 Posted by CheeseSticks (2443 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: Well, on CBR, most of the X-reader are agreeing that this event suck. I tried to enjoyed the new 05 but i just can't.

#12 Posted by bigtewell (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@cheesesticks: i actually like the o5 i thought it was an interesting idea and it was original. unlike dc just doing the same stuff theyve done before and rebranding it as new

@oldnightcrawler: i read the first 2 parts havent picked up the last part

#13 Edited by CheeseSticks (2443 posts) - - Show Bio

@bigtewell: I don't really like DC either and if you think that the time-traveled 05 are a good idea then it's ok. You'll enjoy most of the current X-Stories. I'm more of a guy who miss the old X-Men with Claremont, AoA (Nicieza) and Joss Whedon.

#14 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4423 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: Well, on CBR, most of the X-reader are agreeing that this event suck. I tried to enjoyed the new 05 but i just can't.

which event?

I thought the ending of Battle of the Atom was pretty hackish (and I didn't bother reading Jason Aaron's issues), but I liked some of it.

But The Arms of The Octopus was great. It made me glad they decided to keep the "O5" around. I'm not saying BotA was good, but it wasn't the only story they were in, and TAoTO was great.

@cheesesticks: i actually like the o5 i thought it was an interesting idea and it was original.

@oldnightcrawler: i read the first 2 parts havent picked up the last part

how did you like the first two parts?

#15 Posted by CheeseSticks (2443 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by bigtewell (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: i thought the first 2 parts were really good. it felt like they were playing it safe though. I also felt hulk/banner didnt get enough attention in their part of the book but that could be just me. id give the first 2 parts an 8 out of 10.

#17 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4423 posts) - - Show Bio

really?

I haven't seen anyone say that The Arms of The Octopus sucked. Well, until you did.

@oldnightcrawler: i thought the first 2 parts were really good. it felt like they were playing it safe though. I also felt hulk/banner didnt get enough attention in their part of the book but that could be just me. id give the first 2 parts an 8 out of 10.

Fair enough. It's certainly a fair criticism. And, yeah, it is more like a Spider-man and the X-men crossover that just also has the Hulk. Which is fine for me, though I really loved some of the more Hulk/Banner-centric scenes from part 2. Banner also has a nice scene with Cyclops in part 3 that I really liked..

Overall I thought it was a great little story. Lots of fun character moments, good use of most of the characters.. It wasn't the most epic X-men tale, but I'm fine with what it was. I guess when I think of the "O5", especially as teenagers, I think of Lee and Kirby's X-men; the theme of them being mutants is very much secondary to that of them being teenage superheroes in training, and this story uses that element of the characters to great effect.

#18 Edited by Bigbadwolfx0 (319 posts) - - Show Bio

Cables run with baby hope

#19 Posted by bigtewell (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: i kind of wish the 05 would have more stories related to themselves instead of throwing them at the center of everything in the x universe. thats why i liked arms of the octopus since you didnt have to know like 10 years of xmen history to enjoy it

#20 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4423 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: i kind of wish the 05 would have more stories related to themselves instead of throwing them at the center of everything in the x universe. thats why i liked arms of the octopus since you didnt have to know like 10 years of xmen history to enjoy it

yes, this exactly. What's cool about the original 5 X-men, and what makes them distinct, is the group dynamic between them and the kind of weird adventures they got into that were deemed to silly or off-theme for subsequent versions of the team. Sort of like the original New Mutants, they were each designed to fill a specific role within a specific dynamic, and really work best within that context.

#21 Posted by bigtewell (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: i loved the new mutants (well except the art) and i wished they had more series today like that.

#22 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4423 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by Wolverine08 (40833 posts) - - Show Bio

Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender is dope.

#24 Posted by bigtewell (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: ive read it. its one of my fav runs ever! i even got a wolverine hoodie based on that costume

@oldnightcrawler: i havent ive only read vol 1. who is on the team?

#25 Posted by Wolverine08 (40833 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4423 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: i havent ive only read vol 1. who is on the team?

New Mutants (vol.3) starts out reuniting most of the original New Mutants (Cannonball, Sunspot, Karma, Moonstar) as well as Magma and Magic. Cypher and Warlock come back in the second arc (during Necrosha). Then they all go track down Nate Grey.

After the Schism, Cannonball and Karma go to Wolverine's school and Moonstar leaves Utopia with a team of herself, Cypher, Warlock, Sunspot, Magma, and X-man. (and sometimes Blink).

#27 Posted by bigtewell (749 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4423 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.